00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS

18,398 Views | 57 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The deadline for Loop Jam has arrived and all entries should now be accounted for. If you submit a late entry in the next ten hours, you can still rank in the top 10 but one point will be deducted for each hour you are late.

Loop Jam was ROUND 1 of our summer series of Animation Jams. ROUND 2 begins right now and you are welcome to enter even if you didn't participate in Round 1! Points are cumulative, so try to participate in as many rounds as possible.

The ROUND 2 animation theme is ROBOTS TOOK OUR JOBS.

In this age of automation, advances in technology are expected to replace upwards to half our jobs in the coming years. Create an animation about the robots who will be doing our jobs! It could be funny, insightful, scary, whatever route you want to go with it.

July 10th is Robot Day so please submit your finished animation on July 10th. It will also be eligible for a Robot Day prize.

Rules:

Minimum 30 seconds long.

Tag your entry with "RobotJam" and "RobotDay2016"

Content must be original; no parodies or characters you didn't create. Exception: The NG Bots!

Music must be from the Audio Portal or an original piece by a teammate.

As lead animator, you may partner with background artists, in-betweeners, colorers, writers, voice actors, musicians and sound effects artists.

The lead animator is the one who earns points in each round of this event. Support members may work with multiple animators and change things up each round.

Due Date:

Sunday, July 10th, 11:59PM EST.

Discuss your progress in this Animation Forum thread!

More Cool Stuff Coming This Week

Please watch and vote on as many loops as possible! We're launching a voting log this week that will allow you to privately view your voting history and its release will come with a special surprise.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:06:44

@TomFulp Am I allowed to have the robots look like the Squishables characters that I created and can be seen in the link below (only with different ones of the same species), or should they look more like humans?

http://www.squishables5to8.net/

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:08:56

At 6/27/16 03:06 PM, Natty23 wrote: @TomFulp Am I allowed to have the robots look like the Squishables characters that I created and can be seen in the link below (only with different ones of the same species), or should they look more like humans?

http://www.squishables5to8.net/

Robots can look however you'd like robots to look!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:11:32

Dibs on Mindchamber murdering Tom Fulp and becoming CEO of NG

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:11:43

You mean July 10th? =P

Tom wants to see who's devoted enough to defy the laws of time and space.

or he made a typo

Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:20:30

At 6/27/16 03:15 PM, PhantomArcade3000 wrote: Tom wants to see who's devoted enough to defy the laws of time and space.
or he made a typo

That would have been great if the theme was TIME TRAVEL.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 15:24:34

Wait actually would I be DQed for using Mindchamber's character and Tom Fulp?

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 16:00:09

Oh no, our jobs!

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 16:25:55

Two contests in the same jam! :D Nice.

Enjoying the Round 1 flood in the portal today. Looking forward to the next.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Oh...Wow...My loopjam animation was literally about a Robot making sushi in a sushi factory

I guess all of my entries for the summer jams will be robot based, if this is the way its going :P

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 16:54:37

At 6/27/16 03:24 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Wait actually would I be DQed for using Mindchamber's character and Tom Fulp?

HMMMMMM... @MindChamber, thoughts?

I did say the other week that NG bots could be allowed... If MindChamber is cool with it I suppose his bot is fair game too!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 17:48:33

Any type of robot? PS: I'm new animation

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 18:14:28

Bleep-bleep (I'm 10101010ing (and cyber-printing a scary-comedy idea up... hmmm (robots slur too!).

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 18:27:48

Need a voice actor? Contact me for the best thing you've ever heard.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 18:58:45

Is there anyway I could get a colorist? If you can, I would like your help, I may be able to pay unless I win.

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 19:23:49

Totally down to voice act anything anyone needs!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-27 19:56:04

Sir, yes, sir. I'll give this one more time and it'll be spick and span. Yes'm. Indeed.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 00:38:25

got it all planned out in my head, just gotta storyboard and record tomorrow

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 04:09:48

I am so in for this one, had to miss the last one due to other work commitments - might still try and finish it, but this one for sure, dedicated the whole weekend to it!

www.linktcone.co.uk

|~ LinkTCOne ~|

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 05:35:45

Let's see what i can do, now that i'm not joining 2 days before the deadline. XD

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 08:55:10

At 6/28/16 08:23 AM, CodeCrunch wrote: @TomFulp

How strict is the theme? does it have to be jobs as in plural/multiple jobs or can it be one robot taking a position held by a human? Does it have to be stuff like bus driver, waiter, cashier etc or can it be something more obscure? what do cyborgs fall under? I have one idea right now and I want to know if it's within the boundaries before embarking on something that doesn't even qualify

It can be a single robot taking a single job. Job can be anything that seems job-like enough. Something focused on cyborgs vs pure robots is a little shaky, I would say the theme may work best if it's a cyborg but still has an element of computer AI involved, for example a computer intelligence-aided physical enhancement...

robot enters an arena dominated by humans with various augments (so partial cyborgs I guess)
robot beats them then beats king of the arena who's just a plain human
robot overthrows human king and replaces human/cyborg crew with other pure robots

I suppose this is on-theme because the human guards lose their jobs to robots, essentially. Some people may view it as more "robots overthrowing humans via war" vs "robots taking human jobs" but if the replacement of the guards is emphasized well I think people would get it. So the better you can emphasize the changing of the guard, the more on-theme it should feel. Maybe a few human guards could survive and attempt to pledge allegiance to their new king, only to be replaced? Not necessary but tossing it out there.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 10:41:45

Im having fun watching all the loops from the last challenge. Kudos to all those who made stuff. I hate robots but i might make something quick if i find some time.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 11:37:28

At 6/27/16 03:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/27/16 03:15 PM, PhantomArcade3000 wrote: Tom wants to see who's devoted enough to defy the laws of time and space.
or he made a typo
That would have been great if the theme was TIME TRAVEL.

That would make a great FUTURE theme

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 12:52:48

Forgot to ask (as the idea is 100100000 formulating), but is a 3d animated character allowed too (awesome, wicked light effects, and imposing bot soo needed; while the main characters are 2d (and all the background hah)?

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 13:28:16

If anyone is interested in helping my team with background art message me.

At 6/28/16 10:41 AM, Luis wrote: I hate robots

Luis has spoken!

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 16:28:29

At 6/28/16 12:52 PM, micSMArts wrote: Forgot to ask (as the idea is 100100000 formulating), but is a 3d animated character allowed too (awesome, wicked light effects, and imposing bot soo needed; while the main characters are 2d (and all the background hah)?

Yup, 3D is totally fine!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam Round 2: ROBOT JOBS 2016-06-28 18:22:26

Ok, I didn't make the last round, but I'm gonna go for it again! I rarely draw robots so this should be interesting.

Easy way to find and vote on the loops: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/search/movies/loopjam

should've been in the opening thread, Tomster

Wow, there's 4 of them Under Judgement right now and they look sweeeeeet

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature