00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How can i be a good programmer

1,150 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-11 06:23:07

I need to make games, movies etc. in adobe flash and are a beginner.
can you help me how to write actionscript, use the timeline, how to make animations, and many other things

How can i be a good programmer

Response to How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-13 18:11:03

At 6/11/16 06:23 AM, Supermario10 wrote: I need to make games, movies etc. in adobe flash and are a beginner.
can you help me how to write actionscript, use the timeline, how to make animations, and many other things

The best thing you really can do is just keep practicing and you'll get better over time. I wouldn't suggest starting out by attempting to make a game that you want to publish, but rather do smaller example projects to get you in a programming mindset and to learn the concepts of game design.

What my cousin did to start making games was he went out to a book store and got a couple of books about making games with ActionScript and then went chapter by chapter and started doing every example in the books. After he went through all the books and started making a game that he actually wanted to make, he had all the knowledge from all the smaller example games he made, and any time he encountered a problem, he would have an example how to fix it somewhere in one of the games that he made.

I can try and find out some of the books that my cousin learned from, or if he knows of any good tutorials. There are also plenty of free resources online that you can use if you search for them.

It also may be helpful to learn general programming instead of diving right into game development. I taught myself Java first and then went and took classes for more simple languages like qbasic and c, and that helped reinforce some concepts in Java that I missed.

Response to How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-17 12:13:11

Thank you so very mush

Response to How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-17 13:41:25

Learn how to be a good problem solver and don't give up early because you don't understand

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-17 16:41:58

Ok, so I talked to my cousin about the book, and he said this is his all-time favorite gamedev book: The Essential Guide to Flash Games. The book focuses on learning how to develop games in Flash with AS3, but even if you branch out into other languages the concepts should still carry over. One language that could be beneficial to look at in the future would be Haxe. My cousin is building his game up in Haxe using Haxeflixel which he likes because it is pretty similar to AS3, and the great thing about Haxe is you write the code once, and then you can compile it for different platforms (It automatically "translates" the haxe code when compiling into c++ for windows, java for android, flash or html5 for web, etc.).

He also sent me a link to this book for developing in Unity: Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials

Another thing I should probably say is that you should try to get into some good coding practices from the start. One example I have is for making comments in your code. It's easy to not comment on your code because you understand what's going on while you're typing it all out, but if you ever come back to your code after a year or something you won't know what's going on right away and comments will make it easier to figure everything out. Comments can also help if you're working on a project with multiple people for some of the same reasons. The reason I'm saying this is because it is rather easy to get into bad habits and it's difficult to change; I still don't use comments as much as I should. That was one example I had, but you can just do some Google searches to find some others.

But yeah, like I said before, in order to get better at anything just practice, practice, practice. It may be difficult at first but just keep at it and eventually it should just click and you'll start putting things together easily.

Response to How can i be a good programmer 2016-06-24 05:51:52

sounds great, but can you send me some pages from the book so I see how it is first.
send me them in a private message. and have you an author book about action script 2