00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackdog105 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016

15,632 Views | 63 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 05:25:31

New supporter perks are popping up fast! :) If I wasn't one, I suppose I might not like this addition, but being that I am it feels like a cool privilege. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, if attitude or activity's any different from General; whatever people do speak about here...

And Congrats to the winners!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 08:32:47

Would be cool if there was a non supporter only forum and itd have like video ads before each post. Also first post

None

BBS Signature

Great submissions this month!

The supporter upgrade is fine, but with every bonus you give them, the non-payers are going to feel a little more left out. I personally think people will post more in the normal forums than the supporter forum anyway just because people like to see responses to their topics. Why would someone intentionally post in a forum that limits it's exposure? Just my 2 cents.

NG needs more money if it's going to grow, but I think the supporter upgrade is just part of the solution, rather than a cure all for all of NG's money woes. Why not start selling prints from the art forum? games/movies/audio sets burned onto DVDs? You could share royalties with the creators of the content and make some money off of people who don't want the supporter upgrade. Just an idea.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a store and it closed down. I never realized it existed untill today. Maybe it didn't get enough exposure?

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 11:40:21

At 4/8/16 06:33 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4/8/16 05:20 PM, Gagsy wrote: I couldn't think of a worse forum experience then reading a bunch of people feeling smug about being supporters.
I don't think anybody in that forum is smug about being a supporter.

I find the whole segregation thing goes against my principles and I think the whole things an experiment, but honestly there are times when I can't bear to be in the General Forum because it's either incredibly nasty and negative, or simply braindead. I hope the Supporter Forum can be some kind of light relief to that, and be a forum to have fun in.

I said it before and I'll say it again. It's literally going to be General but for Supporters. Might not happen right now. But it's going to end up like that.

I mean I guess in theory it could work out beautifully. But considering how a lot of users on here act, I can't imagining it being any different. Only real difference I see is random talk about being a supporter but I can't imagine much discussion when it comes to that.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

I fundamentally disagree that the supporter forum should be a place that exists but it is a pretty fun place to be.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 17:56:11

At 4/9/16 05:09 AM, Gagsy wrote: I just hope you can respect what I am saying in return.

I do, which is why what you had to say was difficult to take (it was literally the last thing I went to sleep thinking about last night and the first thing I remembered and started thinking about when I woke up, and why I asked further questions.

The problem with any material goods is that they have relatively big overheads - cost of production, cost of postage (usually paid for by the consumer, though I'm not sure how that would work if it were a supporter perk) and most importantly, the cost of someone physically processing the orders. Somebody would have to be employed to do the latter, because it's not a good use of Tom's time.

You're right that users were able to change their usernames at one point. That was 10 years ago and importantly before each user was given their own subdomain - which are supposed to be static and why names were locked in the first place.

However, allowing people to change their names again wasn't just a case of flipping a switch and making that happen - the code base has been through several revisions in the last 10 years, so that aspect of it needed rewriting and measures to allow users changing their name to forward their old name, amongst other things, had to be put in place. The same (to a lesser extent) can be said of animated signatures.

These implementations take time and therefore have a cost implication, which is not being paid for by people who aren't supporters. At one point ad revenue would have covered it, but that's the whole point.

The latest things we've offered have, at least, had a low development time. That's the key thing here - anything we offer has to have a low impact on our time. We're stretched as it is.

Josh is fully immersed in redesign work at the moment and I've been rewriting miscellaneous chunks of stuff (including merging the review, voting, scoring) and further developing moderation tools (mainly for portals), amongst other things.

The vast majority of the userbase never see this stuff, as most of it is transparent and goes on in the background, and we rarely mention it, so they must (wrongly, but unwittingly) assume that the supporter perks are the ONLY thing that's been worked on recently.

There will come a point in the not too distant future when Josh is ready with what he's been doing and needs help with it, at which point we'll both be fully committed to adaptive layout work and have no other time to put some of these ideas into play. And that's why you're seeing a flurry of them now.

Beta roles for Tom's game is a good idea and if it were possible (which I'm guessing it isn't, because it's being developed for console games and therefore only playable on dev boxes right now) I'm sure that would be on the table. I think he'll probably consider early video previews for supporters only.

But that's another case for there being a supporter forum, because there's a good chance that that's how he will get word and early sneak peaks out to start with.

I know you won't have meant it this way, but your initial reply just felt like you'd taken the time to tell us exactly what you think we're doing wrong - like we're intentionally trying to introduce some measure of apartheid, amongst other things. You could have given at least a hint as to what you thought we should be doing right, but left it at that.

You're not the first to do it, but you know us, and coming from someone who I know cares as much about the site as you do, it hurts.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 18:16:01

For the winners of the top 25 of Movies and Games and the winner of the voter of the month of March 2016 / Para los ganadores del top 25 de Animaciones y Juegos y el ganador del votante del mes de Marzo del 2016:
@eddsworld @GreencardLove @HappyHarry @Sexual-Lobster @SkullLink @Flashgitz @chluaid @ultimatemaverickx @TopSpinThefuzzy @nicksalmon @The-Slang @ThePivotsXXD @ChaoticAnimations @BoneThugsNComedy @xaolan @NCH @Doodley @RoastedStix @SilentChimaru @Fantishow @teemovsall @SardonicSamurai @johnathan-wrathborne @shadowAOD @RansomniacNG @danmarkowitz @illwillpress @ade-syndicate @Raziberry @RongRong @DoopieDoOver @ShadowLamb @GoreGG @nicksoul @aalong64 @fluffkomix @EffrenV @BerzerkStudio @BrutalStudio @box10 @HypnoChanger @TestTubeGames @EntertainmentForge @08jackt @Junjo @Chaz @ragevb @Frozennnn @tjcarlos @Gharrot @rbreve @SKOLKO @wooood @keybol @DeathTiger0 @MNWS & @iWalker

ENGLISH:
Congrautlations! Keep it up to the great works for future projects, guys! BROHOOF & STAY RETRO! ;3

ESPAÑOL:
¡Felicitaciones! Seguid así con el buen trabajo para vuestros proyectos futuros, chicos! BROHOOF & STAY RETRO! ;3

RetroGaliciaBrony

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 20:27:19

They can talk about the tub-girl and how cool it is.

Teh Tubgirl is the best.

I LOVE teh Tubgirl, Do you?

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-09 21:14:06

Haha so supporters get to hang out in the Newgrounds VIP lounge, I like the sound of that.

Congrats to the winners! I had a feeling Eddsworld would win. Voting was typically hard this month, plenty of great material to choose from. Here's some entries I've been rooting for:

BBS Signature

@LuckyLightTitan, @Gagsy, @Heretic-Anchorite, @Centaurora, @Shikamarana, @yetanotherjohn, @NipponDevil

I'm guessing those opposed to the idea are concerned about an inconvenient truth:

Member < Supporter < Moderator < Administrator

Newgrounds users never really were "equal" as far as I know; Elitism has always been pretty strong around here. Whistle status was all about vigilance and leveling was all about daily deposits. Thus, hard work earned people a right to brag. Despite the superiority complex everyone was just a regular member. What I'm trying to say is that charitable or not, everyone wants to be treated with the same amount of respect.

In truth, I don't think there will be a significant impact on user status here. It goes without saying that those who support Newgrounds deserve a little extra, but these features are too small and insignificant to make a big impact on user experience. I'm pretty sure the supporter lounge will be deserted before long. Think about it - the real party is outside with the rest of the community.

BBS Signature

@Whirlguy
ok

I guess as long as these perks don't undermine the integrity of this site as a place for artists and developers to grow, then I guess I have no real reason to be worried. Heck, I might even post there if I ever decide to get a supporter subscription.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-10 04:37:44

At 4/10/16 04:09 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: If that's how things are going to keep on going then i'm pretty sure we'll get some sort of content submission limit for non-supporters pretty soon or even better, why not make the art scout system for supporters only? also why not limit the amount of friends you can add or the amount of reviews you could make? of course, this is Newgrounds where even if you don't know about the site you'll become a supporter!!!!

Jesus christ what kind of monster site do you think he's running...Those are unrealistic ideas and you know it here are a list of things supporters currently get:

- No Ads (say goodbye to ad skins, banners and pre-rolls)
- Username changes (once per 30 days)
- Secret Forum for Supporters
- Secret Content
- Exclusive Previews (when sponsorships are possible)
- Choose your level icon (from ones you've unlocked)
- Animated Forum Signature
- Supporter Badge on your user page and forum posts
- Inclusion in our Mighty Wall of Honor

Which by my astute calculation is not 50% of the sites features. Let me ask you this....Do you or anyone else that opposes this play F2P games? If you do, do you buy in game content? What makes you buy in-game content? One reason because you enjoy the game and you want cool stuff. Second reason, because you want to support the game and help build and progress and allow more great features to be available to everyone.

If you don't buy in-game content, does that mean you cant play the game anymore? (Which i know is the case for warcraft)...in most cases no, you can still enjoy the game even without the added extras. This is no different.

For me personally Newgrounds has been a pivotal part of my life for such a long time and i am happy to part with $25 every year even if there werent any perks. Because i have enjoyed everything about this site and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-10 07:20:11

Wow, I was not expecting to get in the top five for the month. Thanks!

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-10 23:05:53

What? I won something? :O YAY.
I'll have to watch the other winners' stuff then BD

- Aʟᴇx E. -

ANIMATOR

MUSICIAN

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-11 03:25:33

Love me now tom

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-12 05:15:15

At 4/11/16 11:05 PM, SansNumbers wrote: "Pfft. Who the heck pays to post on a forum on the internet," SansNumbers said, ignoring the $40 he spent on the Something Awful forums.

Were they worth it?

BBS Signature

At 4/12/16 07:27 AM, SansNumbers wrote: I enjoyed using SA during my stay there, but there was a lot of anger and pessimism in the parts that I chose to visit so I stopped. If I develop any particular interests really deeply I might go back since there are a lot of specific-interest forums there that appear to be really decent communities, I just don't know shit about anything because I'm a teenager so I went on the terrible forums instead.

The General Bullshit forum? They seem to have a lot, though no counts on posts and topic until you log in. Hard to know if it's worth the money if you don't know how active it is. Which leads to the question: how active was it? More/less than NG? I have no plans to switch, but it'd be interesting to compare. Used to visit that site a lot back in the day, but never the forums, mostly just the Photoshops.

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-12 20:19:30

At 4/8/16 02:16 PM, Hoodie wrote:
Let's not make Newgrounds Orange or something similar to YouTube Red with this supporter stuff. That would kind of ruin newgrounds forever.

good point.

while i love newgrounds, and while i like that the supporter status will have many perks and cool features, i dont want to have ''supporter-only'' movies and/or ''supporter only'' games.

i mean, yes, the supporter status should have many advantages+cool features, but i hope that the already available flash movies +games will NOT be locked out and kept exclusive to ''supporters'' only.
that would be bad, and it would damage newgrounds in the long run.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-13 07:32:07

At 4/12/16 09:40 PM, SansNumbers wrote: It's got about 50-100 times more users at any given moment online than on this BBS, but there are so many forums on SA that the activity is spread a bit thin.

Good to know. I guess we were bigger at some point, but activity's really dwindled here. Turned from a bustling metropolis to a cozy little cove of a community. :) It's good to see forums are still a thing though, the social giants seemed like they might kill off all the smaller shelters at one point.

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-13 07:33:32

At 4/12/16 08:19 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: while i love newgrounds, and while i like that the supporter status will have many perks and cool features, i dont want to have ''supporter-only'' movies and/or ''supporter only'' games.

i mean, yes, the supporter status should have many advantages+cool features, but i hope that the already available flash movies +games will NOT be locked out and kept exclusive to ''supporters'' only.
that would be bad, and it would damage newgrounds in the long run.

I agree. Some supporter-exclusive extras in games would be nice, but not supporter-exclusive games. The bonuses shouldn't alter the regular experience IMO.

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-13 21:30:40

At 4/8/16 12:10 PM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: Next thing to do : Make content submissions only for supporters

Don't the supporters have enough?

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 08:49:00

At 4/13/16 09:30 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: Don't the supporters have enough?

But we don't have enough supporters! ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 09:45:36

This is unrelated, but I just noticed the new log in window, since I haven't had the need to log out then log back in in a while...the color choice is MUCH, MUCH better than that purple you had going on before. Great work there.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 10:08:01

At 4/15/16 09:45 AM, LDAF wrote: This is unrelated, but I just noticed the new log in window, since I haven't had the need to log out then log back in in a while...the color choice is MUCH, MUCH better than that purple you had going on before. Great work there.

@PsychoGoldfish updated that while working on the new transitional layout. I am much happier with it too! It fits in even better with the upcoming layout update.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 14:21:26

At 4/15/16 08:49 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 4/13/16 09:30 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: Don't the supporters have enough?
But we don't have enough supporters! ;)

Understood but not everyone here can be a supporter. I'm 14, thus I don't have a credit card or PayPal because I'm not of legal age to have either. If I could become a supporter, I would.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 16:29:27

At 4/15/16 10:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/15/16 09:45 AM, LDAF wrote: This is unrelated, but I just noticed the new log in window, since I haven't had the need to log out then log back in in a while...the color choice is MUCH, MUCH better than that purple you had going on before. Great work there.
@PsychoGoldfish updated that while working on the new transitional layout. I am much happier with it too! It fits in even better with the upcoming layout update.

You guys are doing an update to the layout?
Any idea when this is going on? And will the site be down when this happens?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 16:57:04

At 4/15/16 04:29 PM, Viper wrote:
At 4/15/16 10:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
You guys are doing an update to the layout?
Any idea when this is going on? And will the site be down when this happens?

There shouldn't be downtime - it is going to happen one page at a time. It's our "transitional" layout where the code is entirely new but it looks a lot like the current layout, so we can transition pages as they are ready and do larger visual changes later.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-15 17:10:23

At 4/15/16 02:21 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: Understood but not everyone here can be a supporter. I'm 14, thus I don't have a credit card or PayPal because I'm not of legal age to have either. If I could become a supporter, I would.

No worries, you're supporting the site just being active too. :) I just meant the more extras = the more supporters will hopefully sign up! It's good incentive.

BBS Signature

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-18 21:38:06

Definitely a good month for animations. Perhaps as a testament to the quality of the candidates, even the top 40 doesn't contain all the good stuff. I voted for 5 movies and The Last Raindrop is the only one that made the list. I do make a point of voting for underdogs that I don't think get their due attention, and I know Tom is all about bringing hidden gems to the forefront so I think we have that in common. Even though I do have a habit of voting for things I don't think will win, I'm still surprised these didn't make it:

I'm also surprised Flotsam didn't make it, seeing as it's one of those submissions that I chose not to vote for because I felt pretty assured it would win anyway.

Response to Supporter Forum, Best of March 2016 2016-04-21 12:53:55

Meow

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature