00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Regulars Lounge 2.0

56,903 Views | 637 Replies

The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-30 19:46:45

Hello,

Let's try this again.

I've been debating the pros, the cons, and I think this is something worth having here. I think it's worth it for people on this forum to be able to engage in fiery, often times nasty debate about ideology out there....and then have place to come and realize that maybe that person you wish you could IRL ban isn't so bad if you're talking about something other then politics. But I think this also needs an update to the current realities of the Poli board too. So let's do some house rules:

1. Who is a regular?: This used to be about post count....I think it was something like "50 to 100 posts in poli, and you were a reg" no no no. Not working for me anymore. Let's amend this to "if you can manage a post or two a week, either in an existing thread or starting a new thread" we will declare you a regular and you will be welcomed here. But there's something else I'd like to add to this, let's call that rule:

1a. "Hi I'm new" provision: Is this you're first time in politics? Do you not know where to go? Why not stop here and say hello! Look, when I came to poli years ago, I stopped here first to get to know people here. I think that's valuable, it's important. Politics is a really charged topic, sometimes I think it's good to get to know the people you'll be talking to (and let's face it, arguing with) in a more relaxed spot vs. going into the deep end of the pool first. So if you're new to the board, why not stop in an introduce yourself? This is a ONE OFF type provision. I wouldn't myself, or someone who's been around almost as long (or longer) then me come in here and try to use this, it's just a cheap +1 and it should be beneath folks trying to build a real community. Which is the idea here right? Right. Thanks.

2. General rules of conduct:

a) This is not your blog. While yeah, this is absolutely the place to chat with people in a more relaxed and general way, it's just plain rude to come in here, talk about yourself and your life....then just drop out, soak up the comments, and then proceed to rinse and repeat. If you aren't here to socialize and talk with other regulars and build the community, then with all due respect, go away. Sure, there's no provision in the NG rules for me to do that, but I think you may find if you try this more then a couple times your audience may diminish. Courtesy, courtesy, courtesy.

b) NO POLITICS IN THE LOUNGE! This is the refuge from such things. There is a sliiiiight, leeway situation I think we have to offer. If your JOB is in politics (because certainly work bitching should be allowed) let's try to keep it as a-political as is possible there. If you work for a candidate, or a party, try to keep it about the day to day grind and not in trying to push ideology or any of that please? This is the place where the poli forum tries to build the community and community aspect....the lawyering and the arguing happens out there, ok? Ok. :)

c) BYOB: I ain't made of money!!!!

d) Have fun, be polite, respect your fellows, respect the rules of NG, respect NG. Don't make this become a place that I or others have to come to as a moderator, I think we'd much rather come here as fellow travelers.

Now, elephant in the room time....we all know the old lounge is gone, we all know WHY it's gone I think. So here's my promise to you: This is a GIFT I'm giving to this forum with no strings, and no take backs. I don't do this because I want to be lauded, remembered, ass kissed, etc. Yes, I discouraged attempts by basic users to do this, but only because I trust me, I trust my intentions. I have no plans to EVER leave NG currently, but if I did, because I have one or two other threads going in other places I'd want to see continue, if I were to leave, this account would be LOCKED, it would not be deleted, it's posts would never be wiped. You can trust that as long as there's an NG Poli forum, this lounge is going to stand. It's going to be as active or inactive, as successful, or as un-successful as the community wants it to be. You have my word, and my word is bond in this case. Away. We. Go....

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-30 20:16:03 (edited 2016-03-30 20:19:18)

Interesting space you're trying to open in here, I do hopes this thread can work as intended in the long run.

While I don't work in politics right now, I do intends on running for state or national-level office one day in the future (my family/relatives are all in business or politics...and a cousin in med). Some of my clients at my current employment are politicians or corporate executives who are steeped in political influences though. Fingers are crossed for this particular thread.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-30 20:44:10

At 3/30/16 08:26 PM, TylerFromTexas wrote: Were you thinking of starting off as City Council or Mayor, or perhaps a State Representative? If none of those options, what position do you desire?

Thinking of getting into the Attorney General of New York spot, like maybe 20 years from now, once I get enough legal experience, money, and connections. Can't really win any election without all three, unless the incumbent AG is terrible, haha. I interned at the US Supreme Court during undergrad for a summer, and interned for two summers at White & Case while doing law school...so trying to use those experiences and my current job to prep my resume until I can afford to run.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-30 22:07:25

What part of Texas are you from? My parents' permanent address is currently in Texas, too (tho mother's in DC, dad's WA...both work out of state) and I spent 3rd thru 12th grades there.

And yeah, internship is a good way to get your name out there...do a decent enough job, and you might get offered a job there.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-30 23:39:42

Hello Politics Forum! I wanted to join the past lounge, but it ended up being deleted. I've been trying to talk more in the Politics forum and grow my views. Hopefully make some more friends on this end.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 00:53:08

Got my kidney transplant 2 weeks ago. Without dialysis I don't have nearly as much time (used to have 18 hours a week) where using my laptop is the only thing I can do, so I haven't been very active recently.

Have used my recovery time to almost complete the Mass Effect Trilogy from start to finish. I will likely be done by Monday. I don't like to finish video games (don't like it to end) so I tend to put it off for a while.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 07:57:38

Why did the last Lounge thread get deleted?

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 13:19:00

I kinda forgot about the lounge since it haven't been as active from the last time I've posted there. We'll see if this one can do half as good as the old thread in it's prime.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 13:35:45

I was a member of the original, so I will be happy to use the 2.0 version.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 15:08:37

At 3/31/16 12:53 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Got my kidney transplant 2 weeks ago. Without dialysis I don't have nearly as much time (used to have 18 hours a week) where using my laptop is the only thing I can do, so I haven't been very active recently.

WHAT? Why did you need a kidney transplant?

Have used my recovery time to almost complete the Mass Effect Trilogy from start to finish. I will likely be done by Monday. I don't like to finish video games (don't like it to end) so I tend to put it off for a while.

I beat the first Mass Effect and loved it! However I am not too fond of the second Mass Effect and have stopped playing it. Really need to finish it.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 15:58:07

At 3/31/16 07:57 AM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: Why did the last Lounge thread get deleted?

The gist of it is that the original thread creator, JMHX, requested an account deletion. Nowadays if you get your account deleted, all of your posts and the threads you created go out the window. For many years you would just become a vagrant account upon deletion, meaning the posts/threads you made would still technically exist just without your username attached to them, but now you vanish forever. Poof!

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 16:36:49

At 3/31/16 12:53 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Got my kidney transplant 2 weeks ago. Without dialysis I don't have nearly as much time (used to have 18 hours a week) where using my laptop is the only thing I can do, so I haven't been very active recently.

Sorry to hear you needed the surgery, but glad to hear you're recovering nicely. I figured the "one post a week" rule was probably the best way to accomplish what I wanted, which was to eliminate a problem that cropped up in the old lounge where people who had been very active in the forum at one time stopped being active outside of using the lounge as a hang out spot and therefore it wasn't really representing the actual regulars anymore. I also would here from people that made it off putting because a few people dominated the conversation and they felt like they weren't getting a word in edgewise. Poli gets a bad rap on the rest of the boards, they think we're too stuffy and elitist. I want to change some minds.

I tend to be the opposite...but with MGS5 I think I did that a little bit. That series has been such a big part of my life for so long now....even though it's a prequel so I know what the real ending is....to finally have the story completed is a little sad. That's what replays are for though!

As for my own day, my God did work suck. Been a supervisor now for about 3 months, we do a warehouse type .com operation in a retail store. Got close to 2000 pieces to process today (we normally do 1800) and 2 call outs, and one left early, so we went from having 9 people (more then enough to finish the job and get some lead time on tomorrow) down to 6 (which is oh shit territory). Other boss is freaking the fuck out, I'm trying to be cool. Somebody thanked me for being calm and I'm like "oh, on the inside I'm screaming and losing my shit....I just don't see how it's going to help anything to show you guys that, we're either gonna figure this out or we won't". Worked my ass off and picked up a little overtime (yay slightly shorter shift tomorrow), but I think we got it. I'll find out in a half hour. Hope tomorrow is better....please please let it be better....

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 17:19:33

At 3/31/16 03:58 PM, Feoric wrote:

The gist of it is that the original thread creator, JMHX, requested an account deletion. Nowadays if you get your account deleted, all of your posts and the threads you created go out the window.

Well that sucked.

Really, really, really sucked Butters' hairy chin balls.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 18:46:20

At 3/31/16 03:08 PM, The-Great-One wrote: WHAT? Why did you need a kidney transplant?

I have an autoimmune disease that send some protien of some sort into my kidneys. They go in but don't go out (ala the roach motel) and it killed my kidney. First found out 10 years ago and underwent massive steroid therapy and a mild chemo regimen.

I had been on dialysis for over 4 years. I knew I dropped that fact a few time here on the forums, but not too often. Wasn't always relevant.

I beat the first Mass Effect and loved it! However I am not too fond of the second Mass Effect and have stopped playing it. Really need to finish it.

I know, the tone between the first and second was such a change. The first one being very positive and bright, with the second being very morally murky and dark. The gameplay changes were pretty striking too. While I liked the first game better, 2 was still entertaining. Finish 2 because three is much better. It returns to the morally positive feel. It is much more cinematic. It also brings back some of the better gameplay features from #1. So, if 2 never stops being a slog, at least complete it to get to 3.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 20:04:58

SWEET! I was hoping for another one of these, especially since it helped me make friends and keep up with everyone. Thank you @aviewaskewed!

Generally doing OK on my end. Working on my Rydia cosplay, have a recent photo on my userpage but think I'll post the cape when I finish it. Still have skirt, leggings, boots, and a circlet to do once that's done. Unrelated to that, may need to go back on antibiotics since I have a skin infection that seems to have come back. So I might as well get loaded this weekend if I need to stay off the booze for a little while. I just hope the antibiotics don't kick my ass too much. Amoxicillin made me tired. Doxycycline sent me to the ER.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 21:04:39

At 3/31/16 08:04 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: So I might as well get loaded this weekend if I need to stay off the booze for a little while.

This....this just sounds so so sad to me.....I'll be spending this weekend on the booze in some form or another myself. Although I'm REALLY going to need to be careful about that. I could easily wind up in a "beer before liquor" or "liquor before beer" situation. The saying is a lie by the way, too much of either in conjunction or separate will result in "never been sicker".

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 21:29:41

At 3/31/16 09:04 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 3/31/16 08:04 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: So I might as well get loaded this weekend if I need to stay off the booze for a little while.
This....this just sounds so so sad to me.....I'll be spending this weekend on the booze in some form or another myself. Although I'm REALLY going to need to be careful about that. I could easily wind up in a "beer before liquor" or "liquor before beer" situation. The saying is a lie by the way, too much of either in conjunction or separate will result in "never been sicker".

This actually ties to advice I got from Maus in the old lounge. Since its impossible to remember the rhyme when you're half wasted she said "you can always downgrade" so I just picture an arrow going down. Is this booze less strong than previous booze? Party on

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 21:40:41

At 3/31/16 09:29 PM, stafffighter wrote: This actually ties to advice I got from Maus in the old lounge. Since its impossible to remember the rhyme when you're half wasted she said "you can always downgrade" so I just picture an arrow going down. Is this booze less strong than previous booze? Party on

I find it's mostly just about knowing where the limit is and either making your next drink less strong, nursing it, or simple saying "yeah I'm done, call me a pussy if you must". These are the options.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-03-31 22:57:09

Thank you for remaking this thread @aviewaskewed I lost a lot of fond memories of making friends on NG long ago and it's comforting to see some are still around.

I've not been as active in Poli as I used to but I do still lurk around and since avie and I are buddies on the NG system I see his replies to all the threads and he says what I feel with such eloquence and intelligence I can't really bring myself up to supplying my own scattered ramblings on the subjects.

Anyhoots I've been keeping busy with work and a house and some horses and getting really excited to attend Pico Day at NG HQ again this year.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 01:13:26

At 4/1/16 12:43 AM, TylerFromTexas wrote: Trump bought Newgrounds!!!

MY HAIR!!!

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I won the jackpot!

The Regulars Lounge 2.0

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 08:18:09

Ahhaha. He's actually a moderate when compared to his other nomination opponent, and unless he wants to lose the election, he will eventually become less radical. He's just doing the extreme talks to gather public attention...once he wins the nomination, I bet he turns left-ward a little and be more middle of the road.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 12:28:16

At 3/30/16 11:59 PM, lapis wrote: For people interested in what the old lounge looked like, it can be found here (up to a certain point):

https://web.archive.org/web/20150923204146/https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/56935/1

Glad I can see some of my old posts before they were all deleted by some stupid user that deleted his account.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 15:58:12

At 4/1/16 08:18 AM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: Ahhaha. He's actually a moderate when compared to his other nomination opponent, and unless he wants to lose the election, he will eventually become less radical. He's just doing the extreme talks to gather public attention...once he wins the nomination, I bet he turns left-ward a little and be more middle of the road.

No politcs in da lounge good sir!

Also...is it just me....or does it sound like Mal was basically saying "avie will do the work for me"? lol

Also with Trump in charge....I expect I'll be fired any minute now. But the mean comments really hurt....

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 17:22:27

The slot machine up top is really captivating.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 22:30:08

I've been playing with the slot machine up top and my husband just rolled his eyes.

I think he's still mad at me for throwing out his Guild of Calamitous Intent shirt, but it had a massive hole in it. Even though I have learned some sewing skills, there was no fixing that one.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-01 22:37:58

At 4/1/16 10:30 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I've been playing with the slot machine up top and my husband just rolled his eyes.

I think he's still mad at me for throwing out his Guild of Calamitous Intent shirt, but it had a massive hole in it. Even though I have learned some sewing skills, there was no fixing that one.

Omfg where can I get such a shirt?!
I noticed today my RAB shirt is starting to look worn. The graphic has a bunch of splits in it.

Psychogoldfish made a game so you can earn medals btw

BBS Signature

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-02 00:30:16

At 4/1/16 10:37 PM, Malachy wrote: Omfg where can I get such a shirt?!

It was a limited edition. So I'm scouring eBay trying to find him a replacement.

Psychogoldfish made a game so you can earn medals btw
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/672740

Hmm, explains the new medals on my userpage.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-02 08:29:34

Can't wait for August to begins...would be nice to get my PhD schooling off the ground, the next 5 years of my life is gonna be a doozy.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-02 21:21:06

At least I may not need antibiotics after all. Turns out I just had an abscess in my big toe right next to the nail. Hurt like a motherfucker. Hopefully this goes away now. It shouldn't have happened, though--all I did was clip my toenails! I did have cellulitis in that toe twice before, though.

I will be on vacation the week of the 11th. My husband and I originally wanted to go to Orlando. That fell through, so we're pushing it to April 2017. We're still taking that week off, though. Myself, I have over 200 hours of vacation time at work and it's time I start burning it.

The husband scored Penguins playoff tickets for Game 2, which is awesome. I have never been to one of their games and I'm excited.

Response to The Regulars Lounge 2.0 2016-04-02 21:48:47

At 4/2/16 09:46 PM, TylerFromTexas wrote: PhD? Damn, that's quite ambitious! What will it be in?

I'm enrolled in the PhD program for Business Management, up over at NYU Stern School of Business.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-