00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tmansimms just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

47,803 Views | 153 Replies
Respond to this Topic

OpenToonz, a free, open-source version of the Toonz animation software, was released this morning! You can download it here:

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

Toonz is the software used by Studio Ghibli as well as shows such as Futurama. This is the first time it has been freely available to the public.

JAM TIME!

In celebration of the launch of OpenToonz and to explore its potential, we're hosting an impromptu Toonz Jam here on NG!

To participate, you must do the following:

1) Create an original animation using OpenToonz.
2) Tag it with "ToonzJam"
3) Upload it to NG by Sunday, April 3rd (basically have it in before Monday morning)
4) Write a blog post on your NG userpage about your Toonz experience (some screenshots would be cool, too).

Prizes: Top three animations receive front page love and one year of our Supporter Upgrade. Winners who are already supporters may gift it to a friend. We'll also give social media shout outs to some favorite animation and blog posts.

At the moment it looks like Toonz is crashing on start-up for some (Win 10?) users such as @TheFabs, which is partly why this jam will run until the end of next weekend. This will hopefully give enough time for bugs to be squashed and for artists to get over the learning curve.

Maybe you'll decide Toonz isn't for you but either way, you'll learn your way around new software and have some stories to tell. If Toonz ends up being a revolution in animation, you'll be there from the start!

You are welcome to use this thread to share your ongoing experience over the next week. A lot of us are very curious to hear what animators think of Toonz, especially if you're a well-known animator (cough @TopSpinThefuzzy) on the web.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 07:57:09

:) ;) free!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:04:30

Supporter upgrade free?

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:10:59

At 3/26/16 08:04 AM, Enzo07 wrote: Supporter upgrade free?

The supporter upgrade is free to the three winners!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:13:34

This is kinda tricky so far... There are individual columns, each with rows of frames - my first guess is each column is like what would be a Scene in Flash. For each frame, I can create art and individual layers in the InknPaint tab. If I click preview I just see one frame on display... Haven't figured out how to play it back in sequence yet or export as a video. If anyone figures all that out, let us know!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:24:38

Woah what hold on what.

Uh.
Well then.

I guess I can hop in on this.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:24:46 (edited 2016-03-26 08:25:10)

So far I've had issues getting the program to turn on.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Wacom Companion 2

The Google Forum shows a BUNCH of people with similar startup/crash issues and the problems seem to stem from 3 main things so far:

1. Dual Monitors (doesn't support apparently)
2. Windows 10 (still unsure what specifically the problem could be, since some people get it to work fine)
3. OpenGL (if your computer lags behind it could crash)

Here's the open forum https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/opentoonz_en

Soon as I get things running I'll definitely be taking it for a test run but so far there's issues. Hopefully this can serve to get past some of those startup issues for others if a solution is found and posted.

Great idea on the Animation Jam too!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

RubberOnion = flexible and multilayered

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:26:07 (edited 2016-03-26 08:30:43)

Hint: Press right mouse button in the upper part of the window to reveal the tools palette. Took me 10 Min to find out how to start drawing.

But seriously:
10 Min of testing, 30 Secs of drawing, crash.

Hope I am the only one experiencing this. EDIT: Obviously not. EDIT2: Running on MacXElCapitan Wacom Intuos

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:26:40

At 3/26/16 08:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: This is kinda tricky so far... There are individual columns, each with rows of frames - my first guess is each column is like what would be a Scene in Flash. For each frame, I can create art and individual layers in the InknPaint tab. If I click preview I just see one frame on display... Haven't figured out how to play it back in sequence yet or export as a video. If anyone figures all that out, let us know!

Still trying to figure it out too. To play it, you need to open a window called "Viewer or ComboViewer". Still don't know how to export it though or enable onion skinning.

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

"Hey I never said that" - Albert Einstein

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:38:43

So far nothing....man its a very complicated program....can't find anything besides the toolbar....and well for me I don't think I can do anything without guides...so if anyone can help....plz....would be grateful....anyways this is the first drawing....and my first comment...will comment again soon....

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:46:20

I pretty much only figured out how to add more frames in a sequence, and preview them (in combo viewer) and now am having issues opening the damn program. Ah hell.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 08:51:20 (edited 2016-03-26 08:52:00)

At 3/26/16 08:10 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/26/16 08:04 AM, Enzo07 wrote: Supporter upgrade free?
The supporter upgrade is free to the three winners!

Yesssss!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:15:28

I can't even get the damn thing to open (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit). It crashes at the splash screen for me. It always crashes on either "Loading Translator" or "Loading style sheet."

I tried removing my second monitor and rebooting as well. Still nothing.

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:17:51

Kewl, tom

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:20:06 (edited 2016-03-26 09:35:01)

it may sound complicated, let's try like this or i'll try it.
frame by frame animate something with photoshop or PtSAI or whatever you can used it, export all in any image format that works let's say PNG format in sketch or clean outline animation, then import it to opentoonz and then let's see if it works, i tried this method with "anime studio" and it work like a charm and i hope this works for OT too.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:27:20

x64... -_-

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:27:36 (edited 2016-03-26 09:40:51)

Oh baby. Just in time for spring break.

@RoastedSix
... are you animating a ball? I feel like that's the first thing we all did.

It's a Wooley World, but someones got to shave it...

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 09:44:36

At 3/26/16 08:26 AM, RoastedStix wrote:
At 3/26/16 08:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: This is kinda tricky so far... There are individual columns, each with rows of frames - my first guess is each column is like what would be a Scene in Flash. For each frame, I can create art and individual layers in the InknPaint tab. If I click preview I just see one frame on display... Haven't figured out how to play it back in sequence yet or export as a video. If anyone figures all that out, let us know!
Still trying to figure it out too. To play it, you need to open a window called "Viewer or ComboViewer". Still don't know how to export it though or enable onion skinning.

I think I've figured out how to enable Onion Skinning. It's working for me now but I've been playing around changing all sorts of features, not really knowing what I'm doing so it could be dependent on changes I made by accident.

How I turned it on was by going to the InknPaint tab, then going to the Tools dropdown in the top left, selecting the Fill Tool, right-clicking on the canvas and then there's an option to "Activate Onion Skin".

Hopefully there's an easier route but that's the only one I've found.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 10:24:37

I got so much to learn..

I love hunting for Blam points!!!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 10:38:46

Always excited to try a new program out!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 10:47:57 (edited 2016-03-26 10:49:01)

Decided to download the software on my laptop and figured out how the timeline works. It's vertical and looks like an excel sheet, how odd... You cannot enter any new frames in the same fashion as flash. Instead, you click an empty cell and start drawing. You can then extend it down. The next empty cell is then marked with an x. You can click it to start drawing there too. Really though, you can start anywhere you want. I guess the collumns function as layers then. If you want to test your animation, go to Render > Preview. So far I haven't run into any problems (win8, 64x), other than the complicated work space that is.

Welp, that's about all I found out so far. I'll have to get on my desktop and do more exploring.

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 11:09:33

Interesting. Though seems like talent > software since its very similiar looking to frame by frame software.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 11:43:47 (edited 2016-03-26 11:46:56)

So you're telling me there's another animation software other than Flash which is open-source which gives it more public freedom of development than Adobe, is free, AND is the same program used to make Spirited Away?

What a day to be alive.

Edit: Hearing about the problems about Windows 10 sounds fishy, but hey, open-source means the Internet can make patches for it.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 11:45:53

I'm still trying to understand the interfance and stuff... but it keeps crashing after every 10 minutes.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 12:02:57

At 3/26/16 07:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: JAM TIME!

The line work in this program is pretty nice. If you click on a line, there is a tool that lets you adjust the thickness of said line, the helium tool. There is also the bender tool - with this you can bend a line from a pivot point, the pinch tool and magnet tool which allows you to pull lines, and an iron tool which gets rid of the crinkles in your lines - its basically the "smooth" tool in flash that can be gradually applied to certain areas of line at a time.

But I cannot figure out coloring. Am I supposed to have a predefined palette file? Or do I have to transfer a color to the color palette to make is usable?

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 12:19:19

Man, this software's really tricky to use. I couldn't find the play button to play the amination and such. Well, better move on to Synfig Studio if this piece of Nippon garbage doesn't work or pay a visit to one of the Futurama animators to help us.

Your first post will always be remembered as "water hole vomit sanguine fluid"

-satanbrain: 2016

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 12:35:06

Tried and Crash, Gonna Delete this Logitec Codec aka Lvcod64.dll and see if it will work this time.

And here is my specs in case anyone wants to know:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Video Card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
Video Card 2: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Memory: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

Please don't ask me to get Flash cause I don't have the money, and don't wanna risk getting crack.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 12:35:55

How.. this is for x64 D:

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 13:02:09

At 3/26/16 12:35 PM, HyperGamer25101 wrote: Tried and Crash, Gonna Delete this Logitec Codec aka Lvcod64.dll and see if it will work this time.

And here is my specs in case anyone wants to know:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Video Card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
Video Card 2: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Memory: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

Please don't ask me to get Flash cause I don't have the money, and don't wanna risk getting crack.

Works! Got it reinstalled, and it is working! Nooooow I just need to look at the tutorials so I'll know what to do.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-26 13:31:38

Trying out this program makes me appreciate Flash soooo much more.

There's a lag whenever I start drawing a new line with my wacom intuos. Sometimes the line doesn't even show up. Very often when I just hover around using either the mouse or stylus, the program accidentally detects it as a click and hold, so it messes up my drawing and the panel windows' positions.

I'm having a hard time just to get the interface to not move around, lol...
I think it'll take a lot of patience and time to figure this out.