00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Luckytime's Sketch Journal

4,615 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-07 15:22:43

At the time of this post I'm currently unemployed, so I'm opening this thread to keep myself busy. I'll be uploading a drawing per day, 5 days a week. Everything I post will have been created after this point, it could be completely new or an iteration of an older sketch. I'll also be giving out drawing tips, inspiration, and taking requests under my discretion.

If you'd like to see something creative and cool every day, click that little heart icon in the top-right to keep up with the thread.

Also, totally up to you, but if you think I'm being super helpful then consider dropping me a tip through Paypal. Any amount would really make my day, but I'll continue to do this either way.

Now let's have some fun :)

This is a redraw from one of my older pictures.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-07 16:44:31

This is a redraw from one of my older pictures.

I love the way you created the line work and Facial expression for this character.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-08 15:58:30

@Artavinci Thanks mate!

Jane & Wes being totally hard motherfuckers. 3 hours each.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-08 20:44:18

whooo!!! looking forward to it yo!!

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-09 09:41:54

Hank Green/4 hours. I forgot to mention but I usually post the next day's sketch on Tumblr as soon as it's finished so you have another way of catching them.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-09 22:04:33

This is awesome especialy that first one, it has some good texture and shading very nice indeed.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-10 13:20:38

@XwaynecoltX Thanks, I'll consider that when I do future drawings. I'm always trying new styles because I can't settle on just one!

Self portrait... kinda/7 hours. With a very frustrating start to this one, it actually didn't turn out half bad. I guess that's what happens when you draw without a reference. I really want to learn how to draw in a comic book style, so consider this an experiment. I could say a lot more about it, but drawing is better than talking.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-10 13:24:48

This is the Original, Newgrounds increased the contrast for some reason.

At 3/10/16 01:24 PM, Luckytime wrote: This is the Original, Newgrounds increased the contrast for some reason.

If the pic is in black and white and png, newgrounds kinda does that.
Saving it to jpeg fixes it.
Oh and great work btw. c:

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-11 18:28:11

@123mine123 Thanks for the tip! I wonder if adding a tinge of color would override it?

Hoping to finish this over the weekend, then it'll go in the portal.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-14 20:07:05

At 3/11/16 06:28 PM, Luckytime wrote: Hoping to finish this over the weekend, then it'll go in the portal.

Making some good progress on it, can't wait to show the finished piece.

If anyone wants me to do more in a certain style or thinks I do better with a certain style let me know. I'm still just trying out random stuff, playing with brushes, and seeing what works. This is from Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, I don't know why the wolf is talking.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-15 20:15:12

You want commentary? How about I shove my foot up your ass?
Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-16 21:57:01

Every new artist.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-17 22:47:34

@Groako Good to hear that you like it so much! That seems to be the most eye catching style so I'll try to do more action poses like that. It's something I need to practice anyway.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-18 22:17:32

Gotta have fun sometimes, so here's a pretty girl.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-22 00:11:33

One of my family members is taking an art course and was assigned to draw a character using a basic description. I thought I'd give it a try too.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-22 01:08:42

Entertaining, purposeful, and versatile.

Your illustration skills have greatly improved and I am glad to see some experimentation. (I'm actually kind of jealous for noticing a sense of value in your progress)
There could be some minor fixes to a few of these but I think that's just me being nitpicky. Refinement should be reserved for the longer pieces. Besides, it's not like any of these are missing appeal.

Keep it up and keep going.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-23 02:53:15

@Cairos You are hands down one of my favorite artists so that just made my day, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'value'. If you mean monetary value then I hope so! I'd like to get to where I'm making sellable material consistently.
Most of these will have flaws because I usually draw them in less than a day. The imperfections were keeping me from uploading before, but I've resolved to get over that.

This is coming out kind of late because I didn't have much time today, but I'll stay up if I have to. Now if you'll excuse me I've got some Z's to catch.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-24 21:04:17

I missed yesterday because I was exhausted after taking a school placement test for 5 hours. I'll try to make it up somehow. For now, here's Tommy after having his trust shattered.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-25 19:57:31

An experiment. Ripped straight out of last night's dream, it's still missing a few elements which reveal its true nature.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-28 01:57:14

To make up for last week Wednesday, here's another.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-30 01:32:07

I worked almost around the clock on this one, high resolutions are murder. Making something fresh like this everyday takes a long time, and leaves me no extra time or energy to improve those drawings I want to complete. Yesterday, for example, I worked on the previous day's sketch some more, but progress slows down when you start to add details and I don't want to spam the thread with tiny increments of the same drawing. So I think I'm going to save some days for improving one drawing, which I may or may not post at the end of that day, and leave other days for new sketches. This should allow me to frequently update while still having time to actually finish drawings.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-03-31 20:54:59

Now in color!

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-04-01 23:00:01

He will make things right. Trump for president of Newgrounds 2016.

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-04-07 05:42:58

Haven't posted in a few days because I was busy finishing this:

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-04-13 15:46:41

Getting back to it. I'm trying to figure out the best proportions and styles for these characters. Character design is akin to soul searching in some ways.

Original

Woody Woodpecker, Gabby, and Cuphead.

I love the old 1940's cartoon style, those were the good old days of animation for me. And you know It's not just nostalgia because I wasn't alive back then. I just think characters were way more expressive and there were no corners cut. Big ups to Studio MDHR for developing Cuphead and people like Fungasm for keeping the style alive.

Now I'm going to go work on something bigger, see you then!

Original

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-06-23 00:40:16

I've been being lazy, but I'm still working on bigger things. Little things like this should be showing up more as I cut myself off from the internet more and more. It really seems like the only way to stay productive is to avoid being online as much as possible. Anyway, I'm back at it.

Response to Luckytime's Sketch Journal 2016-06-23 02:06:46

This is a character I created on the job last year, hehe.

More concept art.

Full