00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 211 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

moawling's Art Thread

15,269 Views | 174 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-03-27 19:31:49

i'm having problems with her cane :') (part of a desserts/sweets fighter series)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-03-28 10:22:18

i'm trash sorry
started out with these two,, i think i'll just do the entire main cast huah huah
working on a simpler style and playing around with that! we'll see how it goes.

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-03-29 10:31:29

wip: there are soo many characters i wanna draw *____* i dunno if i should upload what i have now and in installments or just upload all of them at once? hmm,,,

(in bw bc don't wanna spoil anything huah huah)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-03-30 12:24:30

Dragon Ball backgrounds! hooray!

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-03-30 12:26:25

part one of many to come :')

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-01 14:21:23

backgrounds for next round of db pixels huah huah
(Fun Fact: I don't really use dithering outside of limited number palettes, save for backgrounds. It's an easy way to 'mute' the colours without compromising the colour palette! And uh, I like, bright, obnoxious colours, so, huah huah)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-02 00:41:31

Pico Day Collaboration??

Just to start off: Yes, I should probably post in the collab forum or collabinator, but I'm personally very uncomfortable with posting in them unless I know absolutely 100% what I'm doing (which I don't, haha). I don't want to waste anyone's time with my uncertainty, you know?

So! Pico Day is coming up soon and I'm excited to team up with other creators to make something great! I'm interested in creating a pixel art compilation featuring various characters from Newgrounds, I'm not sure what the ideal direction would be to go with this. It would depend on who I'm working with (hence, the uncertainty)
Any contribution would be appreciated! You don't necessarily have to be a pixel artist to help out. If you're an artist but you're not great at pixels, we can work together to scale down your images. If you can't draw at all but you have a cool idea, don't be afraid to let me know. I'm pretty new to Newgrounds history, so any ideas/input would be extremely appreciated.
I'd love to see how our ideas come together. Feel free to PM me for any questions (or if you just want to talk huah huah).

short summary: I make pixel art. Let's make something cool together (for Pico Day).

Annnd, here's the obligatory art, to justify this post. huah huah.

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-02 00:56:26

The feels when moawling has forgotten you even though you draw pixels and approached her for collaboration first.

You are not prepared...

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-02 00:58:49

At 4/2/16 12:56 AM, Template88 wrote: The feels when moawling has forgotten you even though you draw pixels and approached her for collaboration first.

!!! Oh my gawd! I'm so sorry!!! I have no excuse, life is a pithole, I'm gonna PM you. AHhh!

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-02 12:58:54

round two! (yes, i drew chichi twice, she's adorable)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-08 21:11:07 (edited 2016-04-08 21:12:28)

Some pixels I was working on! Unfortunately, they're too small for what they were intended for,,,,, might use them for something else though!

(hopefully obviously, characters aren't mine and they belong to HappyHarry)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-13 23:44:54 (edited 2016-04-13 23:46:05)

this isn't pixel art, hahh huah,, someone mentioned that I should upload more not-pixel work on here. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about uploading my other work on here (the main qualm being that I'm not a 2d artist), but I do like to to pen and ink drawings whenever whatever.

This was a design that I screen-printed on a couple of shirts. It's Dean Kamen! You might know him as the inventor of the segway. He's also the inventor of the first portable infusion insulin pump, founder of DEKA Research & Development Corporation, and founder of FIRST Robotics, an international program that provides robotics programs for students of all levels of education.

Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) are very important to me. I do a lot of volunteer work trying to make the fields more accessible to students. This was part of an attempt to aestheticize inventors, scientists, engineers, etc. Why? Because it's fun. STEM should be fun.

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-14 00:07:35

(speaking of Dean Kamen here are more Dean Kamen things i'm sorry but not enough)

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-23 01:39:37

oh mane it's been a while since i've posted huh? here's the small version of the cicada I posted on my news thing, Happy Brood V, everyone!

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-24 15:37:57

just a small update! working on this thing and trying something new with hair! Trying to approach the pixels the same way I would a graphite drawing, but I'm not sure if it looks too busy or not. :')

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-04-24 16:02:46

At 4/24/16 03:37 PM, moawling wrote: just a small update! working on this thing and trying something new with hair! Trying to approach the pixels the same way I would a graphite drawing, but I'm not sure if it looks too busy or not. :')

Personally I find them all passable. I think it just boils down to what your original direction was and just trust your gut.

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-03 01:14:07

At 4/24/16 04:02 PM, Cairos wrote:
At 4/24/16 03:37 PM, moawling wrote: just a small update! working on this thing and trying something new with hair! Trying to approach the pixels the same way I would a graphite drawing, but I'm not sure if it looks too busy or not. :')
Personally I find them all passable. I think it just boils down to what your original direction was and just trust your gut.

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate that you took the time to comment. You're totally right! It's really important to make decisions in consideration of the work in its entirety. It's pretty easy to fall into stylistic inconsistencies if you don't build organically upon the decisions that you make.
That being said, this piece got ahead of me a bit. I made some weird choices way too early and it's wonky for me to work on it now, haha. I'll come back to it hopefully with a better mindset!

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-04 00:12:33 (edited 2016-05-04 00:16:09)

when you're having a Bad Drawing Day and you coast on your knowledge on anatomy because your drawing,,, doesn't look like the reference image :') . oh well!
For the people who want to know what my non-pixel stuff looks like :') I'll try to be better about posting this kind of thing.

edit: sorry if this is a silly question, but should I make a separate thread for nudes? This is technically NSFW, right?

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-04 00:54:23

nice work man :)

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-06 18:00:29 (edited 2016-05-06 18:02:57)

I took a break from MTG for three years. On a whim, I bought a Magic Origins pack and I ended up pulling him. :') whattaworld

small version without the magic glowy parts

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-07 12:14:18

At 5/7/16 04:18 AM, dilandoubishop wrote:

Thats incredible. Are you a time traveling renaissance artist? where do you get this drive? WHAT ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU HOLDING BACK!

:') I'm very flattered, haha. Thank you. You're always so encouraging. I don't really consider myself proficient in 2D mediums, personally, but that shouldn't be a reason for me not to explore it more. I'll try to be better about uploading more stuff!

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-07 12:36:27

At 5/7/16 04:50 AM, Groako wrote: Really impressed by your stuff, especially the higher res pixel art and the non-pixel figure drawing. And I love the color choices you make in your art.
I'm curious, how long has it taken for you to get these kind of skills?

Thank you so much! I love intense, bright, high-contrast colour pallets!
I mostly used MS Paint to draw growing up, so pixels were always familiar to me. I guess I seriously started approaching pixels around two years ago. The image at the top is from two years ago, the version at the bottom is a remake I did a couple months ago, just to give you a sense of how my pixels have developed stylistically! I feel like I've gotten a lot less stiffer and I'm making less redundant visual decisions with pixels (spacial economy is very important) in pixelling.

As far as non-pixel stuff, I mostly work in traditional mediums! I can't wrap my head around digital painting haha, there are subtractive mixing processes that feel very different to how I'm used to pigments reacting with each other. I've been approaching traditional mediums since high school, mostly graphite and acrylic paintings up until I hit college! I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything!

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-07 13:29:56 (edited 2016-05-07 13:33:45)

Here’s the compilation of all of the pixel portraits and sprites I worked on with my collab with Template88!! These were really fun to work on. For the larger portraits, I tried to translate the style of the original artists' to pixels and hybridize it with my own. I think they turned out pretty well!

Check out the collab here!! It's an interactive mockup inspired by fighting games. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/674369
Happy Pico Day, everyone!

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-07 13:40:02 (edited 2016-05-07 13:43:54)

Here’s a general dump of both things that I want to highlight and things that we ended up not using.
Check out the collab here! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/674369

• The smaller sprites (of the Starbarians, Dr. Bees, etc.): These were for an initial draft of the collab, before we actually planned out what we were doing, I just jumped the gun and made them (my bad)

• Tom’s original sprite: The original sprite was based off of what he looked like IRL. The idea was later scrapped for his netsona. Looking back, it was a really good decision, seeing as Real Tom the Sprite doesn’t really stylistically fit in with the rest of the collab, haha. I honestly still like how it turned out though!

• Version B Zone and Pico portraits: They just didn’t really match the character or just didn’t work well with what we were aiming for. This is just coming from not being familiar with the characters, I should have done more than just visual research :’) Template was nice enough to slip them in regardless.

• Caxx and box sprites: I felt like these deserved a spot of their own! Can you name which flash they reference?

• The silhouettes from the title screen! They were a last minute decision, but I like how simple they are. I rarely work with silhouettes first, so it was good practice!

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-08 22:50:43

part of my art trade with PhantomArcade3000, who was kind enough to reach out to me!
small version sans background

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-10 13:41:09

yesterday was Piccolo Day! I love you, green space uncle.

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-10 13:48:42

I just took a scroll through your gallery and I must say I am impressed! I always admired people who could do high quality graphics in such a limited space. You sir, are my hero. Keep arting! Love it :)

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-10 13:52:55 (edited 2016-05-10 13:53:20)

At 5/10/16 01:48 PM, JJColours wrote: I just took a scroll through your gallery and I must say I am impressed! I always admired people who could do high quality graphics in such a limited space. You sir, are my hero. Keep arting! Love it :)

I looked at your art thread as well, you're great at documenting your process and I love your colours! I'm excited to see your future work, welcome to the site!!

Thank you so much! I love pixels for that reason! I've learned a lot about being smarter with space and more precise with colour usage. They're great exercise!

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-10 14:10:04 (edited 2016-05-10 14:17:06)

both small sanics (with and without accessories) this may be the worst or best thing i've ever drawn i can't tell

for my The Definitive Edition on twitch! Check them out if you want to! https://www.twitch.tv/thedefinitiveedition

moawling's Art Thread

Response to moawling's Art Thread 2016-05-12 22:50:45

i haven't drawn anything just 4 kicks in a while huah huah, here's a fish! practice for something coming up maybe?
going to try to include my palettes in my posts from now on.

moawling's Art Thread