00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My art- feedback appreciated

4,767 Views | 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-03 20:27:27

Whoaaa that blaarg looks so cool!! you have pretty good stuff, love your anims too! keep em coming :D

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-04 10:40:03

At 11/3/16 08:27 PM, Tcrakman wrote: Whoaaa that blaarg looks so cool!! you have pretty good stuff, love your anims too! keep em coming :D

will do

BBS Signature

no time today, so heres an in-progress. this would be 0013

edit: I put it up on the gallery, it took too long to upload here, i gotta sleep

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-07 18:52:23

thought I'd switch it up a bit- this is 0015. It'll be a work in progress til the owl boy deadline.
Tomorrow I'll post the full inbetweened gif. The day after that is the cleaned up version,
then the colour, then the backgrounds. I'll also leave a day to attempt to do some compositing or fancy shit,
I'm not too good at presentation as you might have guessed. if I finish it before the deadline, I'll be very happy.

Then, I'll try doing more lewd stuff, I've been out of practice

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-08 19:16:22

here's the rough animation stage. still needs more tweaking

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-09 18:26:49

today I shouldve got the cleanups done, but that's gonna take a while, it looks like. just did some minor adjustments
for the timing. I think this might be the only daily thing where I work on a single project, it takes the fun out of it kinda. feels like I'm not getting anywhere, like with my other projects. although I have made significant progress on one thing I've been working on since late 2015. I've made more progress on it in a month than I have for almost a year- but I'm still terribly slow even when I have the time to work on it.
These daily projects have actually helped to light a fire under my ass, too. I wonder if i will actually reach post/picture number 365. making a 3 minute cartoon in a month is pretty much where I want to be at, both in terms of skill and life, so this will also help me with cutting corners in artful ways, hopefully

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-10 19:02:11

had no time today, so I only cleaned a few frames. I'll be waking up early to work on it, so you'll see more progress than here tomorrow. hope to get both cleanup and shading lines, and posiibly color done. found a bunch of materials for manga studio, might try some of em out on this

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-11 18:35:47

finally cleaned it up. as you can see in the first frame, the shading stuff is gonna be a bitch. However, I have an idea I want to try. if it works, I might explain it here.
and the owl is just a placeholder, although it does look kinda goofy already like i want

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-13 18:28:37

back to short stuff like this. gonna do some rough lewds for a few days on here, maybe- and I owe an explanation as to how I got the owl boy gif done, ive learnt quite a bit from it.

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-14 18:55:58

low effort for today... got no time left

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-15 19:12:43

thought I'd post something part of a project I've been working on for a while. I'm going to attempt to do a flcl style scene with this. If I figure out how to do it, I'll post another lil tutorial along with the stuff I've learned from doing the owl boy animation.

BBS Signature

The updated version. I'm still having trouble with the camera in after effects, so I'll have to try and figure stuff out before I try to make a tutorial out of it.
The owlboy process is next- but I'm gonna post it as a "news" page, so I'll link that here once I'm done with it. doing it mainly for my boy Lintire, check out his awesome thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1415943/1

edit: aw, fuck, the previous one didnt upload! I guess I'll upload them in the process explanation anyway

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-18 18:51:12

might work on this one a bit later, it's still very rough, only had a few minutes to do it

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-19 18:06:00

been trying to finish this bit of my vinesauce animation.

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-20 17:58:53

this is something I did for someone that didn't end very well, so I'm posting it here.
there's more, but I was rushed to do it in a month for very little pay, and I'm not proud of it. this is the only bit
that kind of turned out OK, and the only part I had any fun doing. I guess it's these little bits that I do enjoy that makes this job more bearable. currently have something really fun in the works, and I have help this time, he's really talented

I'm also realising that although my speedlines may look the same, I actually try to approach it a different way every time I do them. I might make a post going through every method I've used so far.

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-21 19:35:57

New concept!
I'm finding it very hard to do something meaningful every day- as in, something I'm invested in but not too invested in to go back to over and over.
so I'm starting a lil excercise where I just make one shot of animation in gif form per day, and I'll edit them into longer cuts as I go along. When the file size is too big, I'll split it into parts.

here's the first one

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-22 18:26:18

after effects keeps crashing again ;^;

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-23 18:43:06

yeah maybe I'll edit like 10 or 20 of these if the file size isnt too big

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-24 16:51:18

just bought the full version of clip studio, since there's a sale now. I'll probably be working in this for a bit. so far, it's so much faster than photoshop. The folder system, inbetweening system, and the timeline are pretty much impeccable. not only that, but the exporting is less of a hassle, too. the only thing it doesn't have is video layers, and some of the more fancy shit photoshop has. Toon boom still has it beat in terms of manipulating the timeline, but this is great for short stuff like this. might say goodbye to photoshop for now

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-25 18:01:56

Thought I'd spend a liiitle more time on this one, it's getting pretty tight to do one every day. hopefully it'll look cool in the end.

here's the shot: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/51114b9e210da12730f6ed8a543f1149

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-26 18:27:42

sorry to break the chain again- instead I'll just leave this here. I've almost finished

BBS Signature

I'm pretty knackered from working on my animation, which you can see
here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7oxeJ3nlg

its also here on newgrounds, but it looks like shit- maybe its the bitrate or something...
here's the thumbnail for it

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-28 21:44:18

pretty cute

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-29 17:08:10

At 11/28/16 09:44 PM, tomek wrote: pretty cute

so are you xx

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-29 19:24:55

before I get back into the swing of things, here's a collage of all the stuff I did for that animation. now i can move on

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-29 19:52:26

At 11/28/16 06:16 PM, HochiganMeat wrote: I'm pretty knackered from working on my animation, which you can see

its also here on newgrounds, but it looks like shit- maybe its the bitrate or something...

Fucking amazing, bruv. Gave you a sub for that, six-inch from Subway. One of the $5 options, I'm not made of money. Basically a kiss on the forehead, mwah.

The animation is ridiculous, and stalking your thread is rewarding. If, perhaps, perchance, mayhaps, mayhem, you are open to a little critique on this mastercodpiece of yours: perhaps play around with some subtle SFX and such to help "sell" more exaggerated movement. There's free sound packs online, not-so-free ones you can just nick, and I've found it makes all the difference.

Either way, GOOD WORK. I know nothing about Vinesauce or even what that is but it was great anyhow.

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-30 05:42:58

At 11/29/16 07:52 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 11/28/16 06:16 PM, HochiganMeat wrote: I'm pretty knackered from working on my animation, which you can see

Fucking amazing, bruv. Gave you a sub for that, six-inch from Subway. One of the $5 options, I'm not made of money. Basically a kiss on the forehead, mwah.

The animation is ridiculous, and stalking your thread is rewarding. If, perhaps, perchance, mayhaps, mayhem, you are open to a little critique on this mastercodpiece of yours: perhaps play around with some subtle SFX and such to help "sell" more exaggerated movement. There's free sound packs online, not-so-free ones you can just nick, and I've found it makes all the difference.

Either way, GOOD WORK. I know nothing about Vinesauce or even what that is but it was great anyhow.

Cheers, man. I love coming home and reading your own thread- it's a great motivator.

And thanks for the advice! You're the first person to give me any proper criticism or suggestions.
Truth is, I fucking suck with sound. When it comes to animation, I'm always focusing on the visuals, whether I'm drawing it or watching it. Which is probably why. I know that the more you don't notice them is testament to how good the sound design is, so I've been told. You've convinced me to watch something purely for its sound design.

And Vinesauce is a collection of streamers, they all do different stuff. In that instance, a streamer called Joel set up a virtual PC and pumped it full of viruses, and then came across a midi converter by chance. He's also a very good musician

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-30 17:58:36

back on this again. I've changed the timing slightly, and realised I don't like this at all.
this is the stage that theoretically should take the most time, too- so I'm going to mull over it for a bit.

I think the guitar swinging down in front needs to be clarified more, and she kind of just floats up into the air out of nowhere. I might even redo the entire thing, and look at other examples.

As you might have realised, I've more or less cracked colors and compositing (see one of my news posts), so I'm always rushing to make it all clean and colored up. But that isn't what animation is about.

I'll make several iterations of this shot done from different perspectives, based on some animator's styles, maybe. Observation is going to be a key thing here, too- a lot of my weaknesses come from the fact that I don't take inspiration from actual movement, but from memory of similar movements which is really bad practice. I'll post some of my animation notes, too.

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-12-01 18:00:18

a bit more snappy, I think. still needs a lot of work. I'm not used to spending so long on a single bit, so I'm definitely out of my comfort zone. Think I might look at baton twirling and maybe some trigger animation for this, think it might suit it. Still very clunky and weightless. if anyone has any tips feel free to share. again, I've obessed mainly over the final look for most of my time as an animator, so I missed out on experimenting with this bare bones, pure animation stuff as i was first starting out, and i regret it

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-12-02 18:05:01

Added a little cool pose to break it up, and worked on a few more frames at the beginning. Should work on the camera spin tomorrow, I want to pace it out. This is how I should've worked on the owlboy one.

BBS Signature