00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My art- feedback appreciated

4,757 Views | 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My art- feedback appreciated 2016-02-13 17:05:56

Been wanting to get a bit more feedback on things, so Im gonna make a lil thread I'll update now and then. while I'm constantly critical of my work, I'm never that sure which things need the most work, so feel free to point out the glaring errors and holes. I've been trying to do this seriously for about a year, but I don't feel like I'm getting better.

This is a recent effort- something is off, but theres too many things to point out

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-02-13 17:14:44

another one I did a while back. again, somethings off...

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-02-13 17:55:46

a thumbnail for a stupid animation i made

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-02-13 18:39:01

At 2/13/16 05:55 PM, HochiganMeat wrote: a thumbnail for a stupid animation i made

I think overall you have some very appealing stuff in this thread so far. Quiet is by far the strongest, she's got an nice stylization going as well as color pallet and shading going on. Cammi is your weakest because of the patchy filling work in the coloring makes her look unfinished, visible strokes can be used to add to stylization or interest to an area but here it just looks patchy but it is an interesting to pursue in the future. Your hitler guy again has a nice color pallet and some good contrast going but it's simplicity doesn't leave much to say about it.
As for where you say somethings are off I think what may be responsible a lot of that off feeling might be the coloring and shading juxtaposed against the almost Disney like quality of the shapes your using to make the character (Quiet in particular). I think when most people see the style your doing the line work in their first expectation of the coloring is for it to be more graphic and cell shaded rather than the painterly approach you have, which I do enjoy by there way. The hitler drawing definitely looks like it would be much cleaner in terms of shading and coloring.
Another factor in it appearing off is your actual formatting and composition on these. I feel like quiet is awkwardly placed on the page, she takes up almost the whole space except there's a lot more space on the right side, I think going her some more space on one or two of the other sides may help, Look up the rule of thirds and golden ratio for more information on compositions. Also her chin/jaw looks to go out a bit too far from her neck.
Hope that helps, I'm in a rush so I can't go as in depth as I'd like, keep up the good work!

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-04-06 16:37:03

thanks dude- i actually forgot about this thread and didnt know how top find it ^^'

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-04-06 16:38:22

just a few updates- these were some excercises in stuff like anatomy and posing that i ended up trying to finish

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-04-06 16:38:51

another-

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-04-07 04:55:06

At 2/13/16 05:55 PM, HochiganMeat wrote: a thumbnail for a stupid animation i made

HITLER CHAN

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-19 05:20:24

some more drawings. I really need to take care of this thread

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-19 05:21:09

faye

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-19 06:20:19

At 2/13/16 06:39 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: I think overall you have some very appealing stuff in this thread so far. Q

woah

when did you get modded

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-27 13:34:11

gum

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-27 13:36:59

for the mario reanimate project

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-30 10:01:08

At 9/29/16 05:17 AM, zornuzkull wrote: You're art work is of a decent quality... There isn't really much to critique...
Any gripes I have would just boil down to aesthetic choices...

like what? colors? composition? proportions? aesthetic choice is pretty much the foundation of art other than technical ability

BBS Signature

Aahhh, I'm so happy! I found my greatest rival, you're really good! Though you're best drawings I'd say is the Boxer girl and the gum girl one you posted and Mario. There's definitely something appealing going on with that style. It seems you focus on gesture drawing quite a lot. So things are going in a neat direction. Keep at it!

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-30 19:05:04

At 9/30/16 12:58 PM, zornuzkull wrote:
At 9/30/16 10:01 AM, HochiganMeat wrote: like what? colors? composition? proportions? aesthetic choice is pretty much the foundation of art other than technical ability
Colours really... I dislike them a great deal...
Purples and pinks don't really do it for me... That's why I figured it would be unfair to judge your work on my own personal bias regarding the palette...

that's fine! I do try to keep things varied, so I'll just take note of that- being able to vary color palettes depending on mood is something i could work on, too

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-09-30 19:10:32

At 9/30/16 02:25 PM, Rustyhound wrote: Aahhh, I'm so happy! I found my greatest rival, you're really good! Though you're best drawings I'd say is the Boxer girl and the gum girl one you posted and Mario. There's definitely something appealing going on with that style. It seems you focus on gesture drawing quite a lot. So things are going in a neat direction. Keep at it!

thanks! and this isn't an anime dude- I don't have to be your rival. we have different things going on in our lives, so it's unhealthy to keep comparing yourself to others when you're drawing false equivalences. i've been there, trust me

and thanks for noticing the gesture stuff

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-24 17:25:26

gonna try to post one thing a day. might get a bit hectic, but im gonna aim fora year. if i dont post any one of them here, its on my twitter or my gallery

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-25 18:52:00

will try to do better next time- tuesdays are tight for me

BBS Signature

this is a gif on my gallery. not too happy with how it turned out

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-28 15:09:46

not that happy with this, either. might just start posting sketches instead of fully coloured
stuff, i get too caught up in post

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-28 23:14:21

At 10/28/16 04:32 AM, HochiganMeat wrote: this is a gif on my gallery. not too happy with how it turned out

Eyyy you seen Minus8's parody of Rhythm Heaven Fever? Doesn't matter one way or the other, because I'm going to link it anyway. It's amazing.

As for the work, colourful stuff, fun to look at, a bit simple though. It reminds me a bit of rtil's stuff, who stopped posting on this site about a billion years ago, so if you want something to aim for I suppose that's something. I know it's lazy to just compare work to someone else, but I'm a boring asshole and don't have much to say about the art proper so what can you do.

And yeah, man, absolutely feel free to treat it like a sketchbook. It's not a portfolio, we're all artists here, not like you have to impress anyone. I've found it's helped a lot more, anyhow.

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-29 06:54:26

I hadn't but I have now- its brilliant, I love it! it looks so good, I'm wondering if he used the assets from the game for the backgrounds. it's impressive either way, very creative

I want to do more lewd stuff myself, but I'm trying to build up to it- starting with the simple stuff and building on top of that. giving myself a day to do these with all the other real life shit is actually more challenging than i thought it would be. so yeah, its more like an excercise in consistency rather than skill or quality, I'm realising. anything good coming out of this would be out of these self imposed constraints, which is hopefully what will make me better in a creative sense.

I plan to make more 3d looking stuff like yours too, but I've never been able to do it T_T

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-29 07:00:46

and I love rtil, too, i'm flattered. he's fairly active on twitter, i think.

i was blown away when i first saw his runkachunk animation in the sea of intentionally bad brawl parodies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIaHI8F3sI

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-10-29 20:22:44

so ive kind of figured out how to make animation in photoshop

BBS Signature

easily my worst submission, hope to make up for it

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-02 11:23:10

a lil flame chomp

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-03 00:25:32

Honestly, don't be hard on yourself if you post something crappy or low effort. The point of doing something every day is to keep yourself in the habit, not even really to get daily practice. A daily habit that means two good drawing per week is better than just putting it off constantly and maybe drawing something once a month.

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-03 19:00:59

that's a good way of thinking about this... thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to My art- feedback appreciated 2016-11-03 19:01:57

blaarg

BBS Signature