00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mikeymurder just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Small Programming Competiton?

1,089 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-01 13:52:10

Hey, would anyone here be interested in a friendly obfuscated code competition?

If you know what the International Obfuscated C Code Competition is, I'd love to do something like that here on Newgrounds - except that you can work in any language you'd like.

If you aren't familiar with the IOCCC, the point of such a competition is simply to make the most unreadable code you can, while accomplishing an entirely mundane task. For example, here's a "Hello, World" program I just made as a simple example:

Hello_world.c (Pastebin)

I figure that I like this board and I'd like to see it have a little more life - maybe a small competition would be fun.

If there's any interest, I'll post up a full set of rules and work on getting something rolling.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-02 13:11:57

Interesting. If more people do it ill jump in.

I like to impart words of wisdom onto people, but most of the time I hardly know what I am talking about.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-05 05:56:56

well, can we add unrelated codes to invisible controls to make it complicated or does the codes have to be related?

Ah, well, I was hoping this would have a little more interest... oh well...

If you all want to post up something obfuscated just for fun, here's a basic rule set:

1. Keep it simple. Think somewhere in the zone of a simple command-line calculator.

2. All code needs to be directly related to your goal. No "Red Herring" code 
    that does not contribute to your solution. With that said, feel free to make 
    your code a programmatic example of a Rube Goldberg machine.

3. Please stick to high-level languages. #pragma asm is the easy way out!

4. Keep all of your code in one file.

I appreciate your interest, everybody up-thread. I'll try something like this again sometime.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-09 19:16:05

Too bad - I was hoping to make something Rube-Goldberish in JavaScript. Like a simple dice throw function that requires 20 different objects and methods.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-16 14:51:19

Made something quite messy with Ruby, it's not a real program, just a small experiment.

$><<"Take your birthday,multiply the day by 12,multiply the month (index) by 37,and enter the sum of the two results\n";
$;,$k=014,043
$<.gets;
eval("$_=#{$_};")
_=$_%$;==0?$;:$_%12;
__=($_-$k*_-_-_)/$;;
$><<"#{_}/#{__}"

For example, birthday = May 23rd : 23*12 + 5*37 = 461, I enter 461 and get 5/23 (May 23rd)

signature:show();

BBS Signature

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-16 19:06:32

At 2/2/16 01:11 PM, burgerandfries wrote: Interesting. If more people do it ill jump in.

I love that "conditional" participation shit insecure people do.

You don't want to commit unless you can know it's the "cool" "hip" thing to do.

And that makes it so much harder for the organizer because they can't technically add you to the total participants. So all the other tools like you will be less likely to join.

Be in or out and be a man about it.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-16 19:07:41

I see no value in these competitions btw. And online code obfuscators are very good nowadays.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

At 2/16/16 07:06 PM, sharpnova wrote:
At 2/2/16 01:11 PM, burgerandfries wrote: Interesting. If more people do it ill jump in.
I love that "conditional" participation shit insecure people do.

You don't want to commit unless you can know it's the "cool" "hip" thing to do.

And that makes it so much harder for the organizer because they can't technically add you to the total participants. So all the other tools like you will be less likely to join.

Be in or out and be a man about it.

Lol insecure. The only one that's insecure here is you. I have other things in life to do other than waiting for multiple people to make it a challenge for me. I see nothing happening regarding this competition and see no reason to continue on with it when no one else wants to join in and have a fun time....

It does not make it harder, its the nicer way of saying I'm not going to commit to something even though I said I would.

I like to impart words of wisdom onto people, but most of the time I hardly know what I am talking about.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-18 03:23:47

At 2/17/16 08:46 PM, burgerandfries wrote: Lol insecure. The only one that's insecure here is you. I have other things in life to do other than waiting for multiple people to make it a challenge for me. I see nothing happening regarding this competition and see no reason to continue on with it when no one else wants to join in and have a fun time....

It does not make it harder, its the nicer way of saying I'm not going to commit to something even though I said I would.

Stop trying to cry your way out of admitting what you did.

It does make it harder. It is NOT a way of saying you won't commit to something even though you said you would.

It's a way of not committing period. No one things you did. It was clear you didn't.

If you want to do it then say so. Don't make it dependent on unknowns. That's a girl baby douche way of showing one's insecurity.

Commit to doing something or commit to not doing it.

I just told you a great life lesson.. I don't just advise, I am telling you to take it.

Response to Small Programming Competiton? 2016-02-18 08:56:19

At 2/18/16 03:23 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 2/17/16 08:46 PM, burgerandfries wrote: Lol insecure. The only one that's insecure here is you. I have other things in life to do other than waiting for multiple people to make it a challenge for me. I see nothing happening regarding this competition and see no reason to continue on with it when no one else wants to join in and have a fun time....

Stop trying to cry your way out of admitting what you did.

It does make it harder. It is NOT a way of saying you won't commit to something even though you said you would.

It's a way of not committing period. No one things you did. It was clear you didn't.

If you want to do it then say so. Don't make it dependent on unknowns. That's a girl baby douche way of showing one's insecurity.

Commit to doing something or commit to not doing it.

I just told you a great life lesson.. I don't just advise, I am telling you to take it.

Im sorry it seems that i have may offended you in some way. You seem to have no interest in this thread other than make amusement for me. Obviously what is the fun if the competition consist of only 2-3 other people... You just don't seem to understand or at least take the time to. Also i did nothing wrong... Op don't seem to have a problem other than you trying to make this thread a flame thread.