00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Username Changes & Other Updates!

30,997 Views | 118 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Ever wish you could change your username? Now you can, if you're a supporter! Supporters can now change their name as often as once every 30 days, with the option to redirect from their old name for 30 days. Supporters with over 100 followers get a permanent redirect. You can do it from the edit profile form.

We added a progress bar in the bottom right corner of the supporter page and our current monthly target is to cover hosting expenses. Help is greatly appreciated! Traffic is up more than 10% from this time last year but more people than ever run adblock.

Another update launched today: Under the project details for your movie, you can set it to loop!

We switched to an HTML5 video player if you hadn't noticed.

This past weekend, @Dylan hosted the Sarcastic Animation Jam here on NG. Participants created animations integrating two of three specified elements. Check out the result!

Big thanks to @Markiplier and jacksepticeye, who both made really popular Let's Play videos for Fleeing the Complex and included links to play it here on NG.

Be sure to peruse the Halloween Spooktacular winners if you missed those last week.

@JAZZA is on his way here from Australia and will be hosting a Draw With Jazza meetup here at the office. He'll probably have a live stream so watch for a link to that.

UPDATE: WE ARE STREAMING LIVE NOW! It's 3:47pm EST as I type this, meetup goes 4-7pm officially.

Thoughts on all this stuff?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 14:50:29

Very nice feature. I'm sure some people will really appreciate it!

I'm interested in seeing Jazza streaming his drawing session. I hope you can make a stream happen!

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 14:54:33

That's a lot of neat stuff!

Too bad the username "ShadowDreamer" is already taken. But I don't want to change it anymore anyway, even if it's simpler, as people have come to know me by my current username XD
But that fact that you added the option is awesome.

Fleeing the complex was an awesome game, part of an awesome series!

Great job with keeping the site updated with all this stuff!
I have some things to complain about when it comes to the audio player and uploading, but I'll probably eventually make an entire forum post about it. But I will have to check on another computer/system first, to check that the problem isn't just with my setup.

Keep up the good work :D

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:14:12

These are good changes! I see that Newgrounds is about a quarter of the way towards the monthly target of $4,000. The more that can be done to make the monthly and yearly subscriptions attractive, the better.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:27:20

At 11/23/15 03:14 PM, La-Boudoir wrote: Brilliant <3 But if a user with over 100 fans was to switch their user-name every month for the next few years, would they get all those redirects?

If it gets messy we can always clean it up - the expectation is that popular artists aren't rushing to change their names very often.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:31:24

At 11/23/15 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ever wish you could change your username? Now you can, if you're a supporter! Supporters can now change their name as often as once every 30 days, with the option to redirect from their old name for 30 days. Supporters with over 100 followers get a permanent redirect. You can do it from the edit profile form.

Cool, i've never seen many popular artists do this, though, i don't think this will be used all that much.

We added a progress bar in the bottom right corner of the supporter page and our current monthly target is to cover hosting expenses. Help is greatly appreciated! Traffic is up more than 10% from this time last year

Yay, hope it stays like that or even better for the rest of the year.

but more people than ever run adblock.

I have it disabled for NG actually, never had any reason to block the ads here.

This past weekend, @Dylan hosted the Sarcastic Animation Jam here on NG. Participants created animations integrating two of three specified elements. Check out the result!

Gonna check it out right now.

@JAZZA is on his way here from Australia and will be hosting a Draw With Jazza meetup here at the office. He'll probably have a live stream so watch for a link to that.

Sweet, might check it out if he's online at reasonable hours.

Username Changes & Other Updates!

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:44:34

Awesome!

My favorite is the loop for videos.

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:54:36

Pretty cool updates and that username change thing is also a nice feature for supporters.

"That's it! That's it! You have slid the fuck right in with the shit!"

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 15:58:12

At 11/23/15 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Supporters with over 100 followers get a permanent redirect.

Is that a permanent permanent redirect? Even if they lose their supporter status?

Not gonna lie, this whole thing is gonna cause problems. A lot of credit links are gonna break.

Oh man, that username option might be troublesome for the collab we're about to release. A lot of userpage links might not end up working. Oh well, hopefully not too many people will make use of that option.

Other than that, it's good to see the supporters get some new extras! The looping option is a nice feature too. I'd like to see some more movies that make use of it. Anyone? :)

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:01:30

At 11/23/15 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Supporters with over 100 followers get a permanent redirect. You can do it from the edit profile form.

That is a really clever idea to include the required followers! I'm sure this saves a lot of hassle for the staff taking care of future name changes.

We added a progress bar in the bottom right corner of the supporter page and our current monthly target is to cover hosting expenses. Help is greatly appreciated! Traffic is up more than 10% from this time last year but more people than ever run adblock.

I'm really glad to hear Newground's traffic is improving! Hopefully the team can think up some kind of promo that encourages people to disable their ad-block on the site. The ads here really aren't intrusive, it shouldn't be an issue for people to allow them.

Big thanks to @Markiplier and jacksepticeye, who both made really popular Let's Play videos for Fleeing the Complex and included links to play it here on NG.

I had no idea @Markiplier was on Newgrounds! That's pretty cool. I'm glad he links back to the source when he promotes Flash games.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:03:43

A username history thing would be nice. I lost track of who all of my Xbox Live and Runescape friends were due to constant name changes and eventually just stopped talking to them because of it.

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:05:11

That's great! Finally, after over 10 years I can change my username... and I just might.

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:37:30

Would old official NG credits change and link properly to the new username, or are those kinda etched into stone? Although I dunno if I'd use the feature anyway, the name I'd switch to is taken up by an account from 03 who seems to have died immediately after he signed up :[

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:46:40

next yearI going to change my username like soiled pair of skivvies.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:48:13

At 11/23/15 04:37 PM, SirUndead wrote: Although I dunno if I'd use the feature anyway, the name I'd switch to is taken up by an account from 03 who seems to have died immediately after he signed up :[

whatever happened to good old @gianni anyways? no one knows for sure.

definitely a nice addition though. i like that it's got some real use for creators. another thing that could be nice is custom urls for projects. something like newgrounds.com/dylan/alz would be a lot nicer to share than newgrounds.com/portal/view/6347389529492703465

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:54:26

Great new features, Tom! I don't have any other username that I'd want to change to, but it's nice to have on hand!

The movie loop feature is also interesting. Can't wait to see what creators do with it!

Speaking of looping, I've noticed that when I click on audio loops, they aren't automatically set to loop, and the loop isn't seamless anymore (even with smartloop enabled). Am I the only one experiencing this? It's kind of annoying :l

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 16:56:47

Neat news about the name change.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

At 11/23/15 04:48 PM, dylan wrote: whatever happened to good old @gianni anyways? no one knows for sure.

You think you're so cool because somehow you got to do the thing despite signing up with a relatively common name in '12 even though I signed up with a relatively uncommon (American) name in '09 and I still missed the train somehow.

the game was rigged NG refund my supporter pls BabyRage

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:08:16

Cool, it's cool.

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:10:20

At 11/23/15 03:58 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Oh man, that username option might be troublesome for the collab we're about to release. A lot of userpage links might not end up working.

Links from where? If you're using the coauthor system, it'll all be fine.

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:18:12

At 11/23/15 04:37 PM, SirUndead wrote: Would old official NG credits change and link properly to the new username, or are those kinda etched into stone? Although I dunno if I'd use the feature anyway, the name I'd switch to is taken up by an account from 03 who seems to have died immediately after he signed up :[

The credits built into our view pages will be fine - everything ties to a unique user ID. The things that could break are manual links people build into SWF files, or links from forum posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:20:24

At 11/23/15 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ever wish you could change your username? Now you can, if you're a supporter! Supporters can now change their name as often as once every 30 days, with the option to redirect from their old name for 30 days. Supporters with over 100 followers get a permanent redirect. You can do it from the edit profile form.

Can't see how that'd go wrong. Let's just hope we don't have a bunch of asses swooping in and ruining this for everyone. Because this could be either really good or really bad.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:21:16

At 11/23/15 04:48 PM, dylan wrote: definitely a nice addition though. i like that it's got some real use for creators. another thing that could be nice is custom urls for projects. something like newgrounds.com/dylan/alz would be a lot nicer to share than newgrounds.com/portal/view/6347389529492703465

The tough thing there is that links would break if you change your user name OR your project name, although we have been wanting to address this. The simplest way is to still include a unique ID... For example a more descriptive url might be newgrounds.com/game/634905/alz. If we stripped out the unique ID, we would want a pretty robust redirect system around name changes.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:22:01

At 11/23/15 04:54 PM, larrynachos wrote: Great new features, Tom! I don't have any other username that I'd want to change to, but it's nice to have on hand!

The movie loop feature is also interesting. Can't wait to see what creators do with it!

Speaking of looping, I've noticed that when I click on audio loops, they aren't automatically set to loop, and the loop isn't seamless anymore (even with smartloop enabled). Am I the only one experiencing this? It's kind of annoying :l

Something broke with an audio player update so that's disabled at the moment, might end up waiting for an HTML5 audio player to fix. I really like our visualizations in the SWF player though :(

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 17:33:49

At 11/23/15 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: We switched to an HTML5 video player if you hadn't noticed.

I still have the flash based player on Firefox?
I had the html5 player when it first rolled out, then it switched back.

At 11/23/15 05:10 PM, liljim wrote:
At 11/23/15 03:58 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Oh man, that username option might be troublesome for the collab we're about to release. A lot of userpage links might not end up working.
Links from where? If you're using the coauthor system, it'll all be fine.

No, this is affecting the project from the inside. One example would be the art: If you click a piece, that will open a popup with information. Within that popup there's a bunch of info, among which the username of the artist which links to their profile. Seeing as we have over 100 people in the collab it'll be tricky to maintain every username. Just yesterday I noticed someone had changed his name already. It didn't redirect at the time (it does now), which was a bit scary. So yeah, this update could get us in trouble, but I guess all we can do now is hope that we're not going to run into any problems.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 20:45:52

Great update! just shortened my 'screen-name', it's great to be able to make the change so seamlessly.
Also, really digging the loop feature, I'll get to update it on my loops! (my 'workaround' for that was just having the .swf version as a first priority, but this makes them a lot more accessible).

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 22:28:41

That's pretty badass, dude.
I was lucky enough to get the username I wanted from the beginning, but I can see a ton of people taking advantage of this.

Good job ; ^)

BBS Signature

Response to Username Changes & Other Updates! 2015-11-23 22:31:31

Can you help clear this up for me? If it is the same account with just a new username, how would people be redirected to it? Do you mean like if you left comments in a forum or reviews with your old account and then change your username it would still show your old username in those comments/reviews? Thus, when someone clicked your old name it would redirect to your new account? If so, and you didn't have 100 followers and it was past the 30 day time frame, does that mean they would go to your old account? What if you uploaded a new game since changing your username - would people that are not redirected to your new account not see it on your old account?

Maybe I am wayyy to tired to understand all of this....Sorry for all the questions I just want to be clear about all of it.