00:00
00:00

Mario -- This is the End?

649 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-06 03:15:26

The year was 1994. Sitting in my living room. Nothing really to do. My Dad is watching TV, some cartoon about this strange man killing some turtles. Looked weird. Then at one point I saw that the strange man died. The screen went to black and when it came back there was this huge world! Then we were back to the cartoon.

I didn't know what was going on at first, but then it hit me. He's controlling the cartoon. Also this wasn't a cartoon. He told me it was a game and that he was trying to get Mario to the end of the level. I didn't know who Mario was, but it intrigued me nonetheless. I kept watching. He got to the end of the level. Screen fade to black and back to the world where a little man moved to another spot on the world. My Dad pushed a button and there he was... somewhere entirely different with this strange man called Mario.

That was when my Mom called my Dad into the kitchen. She's a short lady you see and my Dad a tall man. She needed something on a high shelf. My Dad said I could play the game, but to be very careful with the controller and system. Controller? System? I didn't know what these words were, I was just excited I got to play. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. I beat the level, took down a castle, and entered this strange cave. My Dad was impressed to say the least... despite my many deaths in game.

That was my introduction to video games. Through a strange man named Mario. The game was Super Mario World. So naturally when Super Mario Maker was announced at E3 and then finally released (and now with Checkpoints), I am not only ecstatic, but at the same time concerned.

You see, Mario has hit a few bumps. The plumbing is starting to rust if you catch my drift. When the NES debuted with Super Mario Bros. and made a huge hit with Super Mario Bros. 3 it was simply an amazing time for the Platformer genre. Then came Super Mario World on the SNES and thus a lot of 80's kids got to see where graphics were going, and a new generation of kids were coming into the fray.

The 3rd dimension came forth next and Super Mario 64 revolutionized the gaming world again. Not only what can be done with Platformers, but what can be done with video games in this new era! Super Mario Sunshine experimented with a lot of things -- the downside is that began to split a lot of people. Nowadays Super Mario Sunshine is spoken about with great praise as an underrated gem, but keep in mind this was the year that Halo started to become really popular and Grand Theft Auto III starting to truly ask a lot of questions about what can be done with video games. It was also at a point where more homes owned a PS2 rather than a Gamecube.

So Mario kind of just sat in the back... until he revolution again with Super Mario Galaxy. This time more households had either a Nintendo Wii or a Microsoft XBOX 360. Mario was back on top! Then... Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out which seemed like a bit of a ripoff to some. Still a delightful game, but not what a lot of people expected.

Has Mario finally hit a wall and can really go no further? Sure you have Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Luigi's Mansion 2, and the New Super Mario 3D games seem to be steps in the right direction. However... is this formula truly dead? Is there nothing else that Mario is capable of? After level editor it seems like you can't do anything else except to give people the chance to make their own Mario levels based off of the 3D Platform Mario games.

I just feel like Mario has ran his course. The strange man that introduced me to gaming will be gone. He'll just be milk money for Nintendo and nothing more. I'm not sad, because nothing really lasts forever. And although Mario was my introduction to video games I'm sure Master Chief was someone's introduction.

The only thing I could see Mario to do next would be a co-op game with him and Luigi. Where Mario would use F.L.U.D.D. and Luigi would use the Poltergust 6000. Or a proper Mario and Sonic crossover game. Doubt that will happen though.

Questions of the Day
1. What was your introduction to video games?
2. What Mario games have you played?
3. Do you think there is any way to innovate the Mario series? If so, how?
4. Who is your favorite supporting Mario character?
5. Which color is better -- red or green?

At 11/6/15 03:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

Same as you it was through Super Mario Bros on the NES, though I don't have quite the vivid memory you have of the first time I played the game. But I remember I played it a lot with my siblings. Always was amazed and a bit jealous of how much better my older brother was at the game. He is the only one the family that actually finished the damn thing.

Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Tennis, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.

Not really, although Mario games have been game changers in the past I don't really think there's is much more innovative things you can do with the character. Sure you can make thousands of spin-off games and keep churing out new games, but right now I can't see how they can make the Mario games seem new and interesting. They're still a load of fun of course, there will always be a place in my heart some goomba stomping, but alas I think Mario time as a game changer is over.

Luigi 4ever! Green mean killing machine!

Greeeeeeeeeeeen!

I'm going to die one day XD - Join the OFFICIAL MISMO DISCORD SERVER

BBS Signature

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-06 09:56:50

I absolutely loved reading this.

Questions of the Day

My earliest memory would be sitting on my mom's lap watching her play Goldeneye with my stepdad and his friends.

All of them except the dumb shit like Mario is Missing or something

They'd have to do some Super Mario Sunshine / Luigi's Mansion type shit.

Shy Guy?

RED, FUCK YOU @MISMO

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-06 16:45:18

At 11/6/15 03:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What was your introduction to video games?

Probably Super Mario Bros on the NES.

I have played and beaten almost every Mario game except for the portable systems.

They could try borrowing some of the ideas from Splatoon.

Luigi

Red

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-06 18:58:09

aero the acrobat on the snes

smb, smb3, smw, sm64, 3d land, 3d world and some spinoffs

skew the levels towards extreme verticality, emphasis on hardcore platforming, open world
people like hard games, nintendo needs to stop this baby shit but my magic 8-ball is saying don't count on it

boo

red

you guys might enjoy this, the youtube mirror got its audio taken away so you'll have to deal with dailymotion
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tu55s

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-07 00:46:31

I don't really like Mario desu. I've played most of the games, but as far as I can remember I've only beaten Galaxy 2 and 3D Land. I don't think they're terrible. I just don't like them.
Back in the day I played every mascot platformer EXCEPT for Mario. By the time I actually got to playing his games, I was too accustomed to playing as some "dude with attitude". Then you have Mario who has no defining character traits.
Super Mario World was the best 2D Mario game. I wish SMW got the shitton of sequels instead of that pile of dogshit NSMB.
I think Super Mario 64 is criminally overrated, but I've got a bias against aimless playground level design.

My first experience with vidya was either Megaman X or Super Street Fighter. But my first video game ever was Donkey Kong 64 and Pokemon.

All of the mainline games.

There's only so much you can do to a pure platformer without changing core gameplay elements. Just introduce new characters with hilariously different gameplay mechanics. I want to play as a Hammer Bro, or one of those guys from SMB3 that throw spike balls.

Either Waluigi or Wario. Warioland was the bees knees but I like Waluigi's awkward lankiness. Everyone in Mario is squat and stumpy except for Waluigi. It's hilarious.
Also I like the enemies. I don't think there's a single enemy I find aesthetically displeasing.

Green.

I started with quite a few since I was three like Megaman IV and Ren and Stimpy Videeeeeeeeeeeots but My first real appreciation for video games Came from Donkey Kong Country.

I've played most of them except NSMB,SMG2,Paper mario sticker brush,Paper Mario 2,Sunshine and Mario and luigi series didn't really focus on mario so much as a teenager and had less time for video games since then.

Not from what I can see

Nastasia

Yellow

My earliest memory of video games would be when my uncle and I played Tekken 2 together. I can still recall that he picked Paul Phoenix and I used Yoshimitsu. He's got a sword, you can't go wrong. I lost.

In alphabetical order:

Dr. Mario
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart: Double Dash‼
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wario Land
Wario Land 4
Wario World
Yoshi's Story

I'd say all good things come to an end. If it's had it's time we should maybe let it die and have it become one of the icons for anybody who got into gaming inbetween the late 80's and the early 00's.

Shy Guy. I have one tattooed onto my leg.

Gotta be green.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

The fact that Super Mario Maker came into existence is less about, in my opinion, the franchise having run its course than it is taking on the existing ROM Hacking business. Anyway,

Questions of the Day

Sega Master System. Please excuse me while I hit the pause button on the console--DAMN IT! I HIT RESET AGAIN! Of course, it fell by the wayside when I got a NES.

The original SMB games, World, 64 (DS), both Galaxies, New excluding Wii U and Luigi U, 3D Land and 3D World, RPG, Paper Mario (64, TTYD, Super). Also, Mario is Missing (that educational one, of all things), but maybe that shouldn't count.

I have not played Sunshine (hopefully the NX gets GameCube games on eShop...), Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario vs. Donkey Kong or Mario and Luigi series, New Super Mario U and Luigi U. Also, these, which may not count: Mario's Time Machine (another educational), Hotel Mario (that CDI game, like the "Unholy Triforce" CDI Zelda)

Not sure. Honestly, I have had more thoughts (through dreams) of ways to make new Majora's Mask-style Zelda games, Chrono Trigger mods, and Metroidvania-style Castlevania games (I guess, given the way Konami went, make that "Bloodstained").

That's kind of tough, given various subsections. Mainstream goes to Rosalina, but on Paper, I seem to lack a favorite. I do like Doopliss, though. First you see him turning the townsfolk into pigs. You beat him, and then...wait a minute, somethings not right here. Why am I just a shadow figure?

Green is the better color, although not because of Luigi.
Sometimes going for red can leave you very lonely.

DELETED

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-09 17:02:11

I remember playing my first video game in Elementary school was Math Munchers on a Apple computer after I had learning difficulties with school then they would put me in a special program to cope with my difficulties.

I played Super Mario Bros. 2 on the SNES remakes of the original titles back on the Dorm's game system back when I was in Boarding school also I was sort of selfish with the game myself.

Tough question, Maybe introduced new items and enemies into the game. I really want to take different routes and find secrets like what Super Mario World did plus elements from Super Mario Bros. 3. It sure was great when I first play the game.

Daisy

The Hero of Red...

Brave Frontier User ID: 53477182

Boom Beach Player Tag: #UC9Q8J8P

Pokémon Shuffle Friend Code: 35EP - 9FPZ

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-09 22:27:30

I don't think there's any reason why Nintendo couldn't have another innovative Mario platformer somewhere up their sleeve. They've been pandering to the people who want a more retro Mario experience, but to be fair who can blame them? Mario Galaxy was a landmark game, but the "New" series of Mario games sell so much better it isn't even close. Plus they're probably much cheaper to produce so Nintendo would have been stupid not to make more of them. I don't blame businesses for making business-like decisions, plus the games are still fun and well designed, if unexciting. They've just done a bad job spacing the releases out with a truely new Mario game that shows that the platformer genre can still do new things.

Of course some people are just sick of seeing Mario's face. I still think it's fun to watch him hop and bop and utter his little "wahs" and "wahoos." But I guess it's a matter of taste. I play enough games with too much backstory, I like have Mario games just be "Hey go beat Bowser".

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-13 04:09:54

At 11/9/15 10:27 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I don't think there's any reason why Nintendo couldn't have another innovative Mario platformer somewhere up their sleeve. They've been pandering to the people who want a more retro Mario experience, but to be fair who can blame them? Mario Galaxy was a landmark game, but the "New" series of Mario games sell so much better it isn't even close. Plus they're probably much cheaper to produce so Nintendo would have been stupid not to make more of them. I don't blame businesses for making business-like decisions, plus the games are still fun and well designed, if unexciting. They've just done a bad job spacing the releases out with a truely new Mario game that shows that the platformer genre can still do new things.

This is true. I don't think a lot of people give good credit to New Super Mario 3D Land or New Super Mario 3D World. These are both great innovations on both Mario and the Platformer genre, especially the latter.

Of course some people are just sick of seeing Mario's face. I still think it's fun to watch him hop and bop and utter his little "wahs" and "wahoos." But I guess it's a matter of taste. I play enough games with too much backstory, I like have Mario games just be "Hey go beat Bowser".

Yeah it's one reason why I still love Mario games as well, especially Super Mario 64. I know it hasn't aged well, but there's not a lot to it and it's just "Save the Princess -- go beat Bowser!" Although Super Mario Bros. 3 does have an underlying story to it, but it doesn't get in the way.

Response to Mario -- This is the End? 2015-11-13 11:11:36

At 11/9/15 10:27 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I don't think there's any reason why Nintendo couldn't have another innovative Mario platformer somewhere up their sleeve.

People should never doubt Nintendo. They are always able to innovate new Mario games. They are the original and continue to explore new territory in video games.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature