BDWz's WIP

6,645 Views | 111 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-10-31 18:42:37

next in queue is this,
'Thuren Rivempa' by crshh
any critique/feedback/review are welcome. \(^_^)/

BDWz's WIP

If you got some spare time, please review/critique some of my content right here.

Thank you very much :)

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-10-31 21:10:37

At 10/31/15 06:42 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: next in queue is this,
'Thuren Rivempa' by crshh
any critique/feedback/review are welcome. \(^_^)/

I like it.

The crossbow is really hard to pick out. That might get better with colors, but if you want to make the crossbow an important part of the image, you need to direct the eye to it.

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-01 00:19:47

At 10/31/15 09:10 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The crossbow is really hard to pick out. That might get better with colors, but if you want to make the crossbow an important part of the image, you need to direct the eye to it.

thanks Ace! :D
i guess it's just an ornament to show that she was a hunter. (as the owner of the character told me)
but, i'm curious about it, 'direct the eye to it',.. do you mean change the focus and camera angle to the crossbow? like i did on dog character with a gun?

If you got some spare time, please review/critique some of my content right here.

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-01 01:14:47

At 11/1/15 12:19 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 10/31/15 09:10 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The crossbow is really hard to pick out. That might get better with colors, but if you want to make the crossbow an important part of the image, you need to direct the eye to it.
thanks Ace! :D
i guess it's just an ornament to show that she was a hunter. (as the owner of the character told me)
but, i'm curious about it, 'direct the eye to it',.. do you mean change the focus and camera angle to the crossbow? like i did on dog character with a gun?

No, I'm talking about making the crossbow a focal point. This is getting into serious art shit now.

I'm not sure I'm completely qualified to explain this one. Basically, the eye has a natural tendency to wander around in a piece of art. In general the eye will flow through diagonal lines and halt on vertical or horizontal lines. A lot of artwork organizes its subjects in triangles or circles so that the audience can flow from element to element easily. A focal point is where the gaze stops or is naturally drawn to from anywhere in the image, like the middle of a spider's web.

Let's look at an example. Check out this image, kinda similar to what you're doing. There's a natural tendency to want to look at a persons face, so your eye probably goes there first (or possible to the anatomically improbably breast, which is close enough). From there, we see that her gaze is going downward and we also get a little slope of her shoulder to direct us downward, where we find a gun in her hand. From there, we want to follow the trajectory of the gun, and that takes us to the thing on the floor (a dog? a baked chicken? a fur coat?). The thing intersects with the overturned chair, which intersects with the woman's foot. From here, the audience has a great diagonal line from the high heel, up the leg, up the cloth creases in the shirt, to the hair, where we get bounced around back to the woman's face, and the gaze line towards the gun, and the cycle goes on and on. There are a few more tricks going on, like an unhinged door to the left, which prevents you from leaving the image in that direction. This is Movement, and pro artists plan it out very carefully. (I do not)

Notice that the gun is held out in the green background. Even if the elements of this painting were a silhouette, you'd still have the same sense of motion and the same information. It's a great to try and make "strong silhouettes" as you do art. If reduced to a silhouette, can you still read the action? can you still identify the character?

Another relevant detail to point out is that this was pulp art, probably created as cover art for a novel or possibly a poster advertising a movie or play. Everything about this image makes us ask "Huh? What? Why?" so that we're enticed to follow up and buy the book or visit the show. She's an attractive person and we naturally feel like we want to know more about her. The gun is still smoking, which makes us wonder what or who did she shoot. The chair is overturned and the door is unhinged, suggesting that a serious struggle just happened or is happening. Despite all this intrigue, the woman's expression is very calm, which makes us wonder what her role in all of this is. Was she expecting it? Did she instigate it herself? Or is she just that badass? When you make art, it's really important to remember what your purpose is, what feelings you want to stir up in your audience and place elements that achieve that.

This page will go over some awesome compositional analysis of the movie Incredibles. He gets around to Movement about halfway down the page.

Anyways, let's diagnose Thuren Rivempa here. You've actually got a good eye triangle from face to elbow to crossbow, but there's a stronger line from the raised foot to the opposite shoulder, which bypasses the bow entirely. If the bow is bright red or jet black or something in the final image, it's going to stand out more and stop the eye better, but if the bow is supposed to be the centerpiece, something a little stronger would be better. Because the bow is on the side of the body, you could keep your current pose and create some flow toward the crossbow with something around her or behind her, even something like a horizon line. But you'd want to make sure you're complimenting the good lines through her body, and not create chaos or a separated eye loop.

Probably better to just tuck this art lesson away for next time.

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-01 06:09:08

wow that was never crossed my mind before, all i do all these years are just drawing pose by imitating someone else's work.
thanks a lot for the deep explanation! for now i know that i'm still lack in many basic aspect, so i will take a note for further study later on. orz

i just can't explain well my thoughts into words, but i'm truly appreciate your support ACESV!

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-01 07:25:00

At 11/1/15 06:09 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: wow that was never crossed my mind before, all i do all these years are just drawing pose by imitating someone else's work.
thanks a lot for the deep explanation! for now i know that i'm still lack in many basic aspect, so i will take a note for further study later on. orz

i just can't explain well my thoughts into words, but i'm truly appreciate your support ACESV!

Well, like I said, this is stuff that I do not think about when I draw either. This is the kind of thing that will send you from Intermediate to Advanced level artist if you can include it all the time.

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-01 21:39:03

just finished with the clean line-art version.
applied small fixes into the image.

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-02 18:09:24

okay it's finished.. gonna take another project before continuing with the next request..

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-03 20:48:12

okay, here's the next request (this one gonna be NSFW stuff)
'Tania Maestas' by Sonicbran23, there's gonna be no background (transparent PNG), but asked to draw the character taking a bath, which make it harder for me to figure out the pose (and that's okay with me).. so here's what i got for now, maybe will change later on. (need to discuss more stuff with the owner of the OC)
any critique/feedback/review are welcome!
:D

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-03 23:16:02

Maybe if you remove the collar, then it will be good enough right?

okay, here's the version without the collar. gonna continue with the line-art.
:D

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 01:38:08

At 11/3/15 11:16 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
Maybe if you remove the collar, then it will be good enough right?
okay, here's the version without the collar. gonna continue with the line-art.
D

I would exaggerate the curvature more, but that's a style option.

Maybe place her on a footbox, the feet look a little weird. I tried to draw one quickly and that reminded me that footboxes are not something I should try to freehand.

BDWz's WIP

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 02:01:21

At 11/4/15 01:38 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: I would exaggerate the curvature more, but that's a style option.

thanks for the suggestion, gonna try with it :D

Maybe place her on a footbox, the feet look a little weird. I tried to draw one quickly and that reminded me that footboxes are not something I should try to freehand.

oh lol! it does look weird.. okay, gonna fix it then.

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 03:56:44

At 11/4/15 02:01 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 11/4/15 01:38 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: I would exaggerate the curvature more, but that's a style option.

okay, i tried to redraw it from scratch, and this is what i got
added some 'weight' to the top as well, so what do you think?

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 04:37:25

At 11/4/15 03:56 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 11/4/15 02:01 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
okay, i tried to redraw it from scratch, and this is what i got
added some 'weight' to the top as well, so what do you think?

It's a good start, but when you mention "weight", I'm looking at the stance and placement of the feet (*cough*...jugs :D). Keep an eye on the angles and perspective of the feet and how she's leaning back on one foot and tipping up the toe. Try doing the pose yourself and see if it feels natural. She looks a bit "floaty" at the moment.

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 04:55:01 (edited 2015-11-04 05:02:52)

At 11/4/15 04:37 AM, fxscreamer wrote: It's a good start, but when you mention "weight", I'm looking at the stance and placement of the feet (*cough*...jugs :D).

xD thanks for visiting my thread and for the review/critique/feedback :D

Keep an eye on the angles and perspective of the feet and how she's leaning back on one foot and tipping up the toe. Try doing the pose yourself and see if it feels natural. She looks a bit "floaty" at the moment.

correct me if i'm wrong :D
when doing the pose myself, my left feet wouldn't reach the ground entirely, so i redraw it and make it this way.. is this what you mean?

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 12:20:19

At 11/4/15 04:55 AM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 11/4/15 04:37 AM, fxscreamer wrote: It's a good start, but when you mention "weight", I'm looking at the stance and placement of the feet (*cough*...jugs :D).
xD thanks for visiting my thread and for the review/critique/feedback :D
Keep an eye on the angles and perspective of the feet and how she's leaning back on one foot and tipping up the toe. Try doing the pose yourself and see if it feels natural. She looks a bit "floaty" at the moment.
correct me if i'm wrong :D
when doing the pose myself, my left feet wouldn't reach the ground entirely, so i redraw it and make it this way.. is this what you mean?

That looks better. I still feel the right foot needs to feel a bit more planted. Look for the arch underneath it too. Study other pics of bare feet standing. :D

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 18:26:51

At 11/4/15 12:20 PM, fxscreamer wrote: That looks better. I still feel the right foot needs to feel a bit more planted. Look for the arch underneath it too. Study other pics of bare feet standing. :D

ok! gonna look for some reference stuff :D
will post the result after.

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 20:11:31

At 11/4/15 06:26 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 11/4/15 12:20 PM, fxscreamer wrote: That looks better. I still feel the right foot needs to feel a bit more planted. Look for the arch underneath it too. Study other pics of bare feet standing. :D

now i know drawing bare feet sure is hard xD (at least for me)
this is what i got so far.

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-04 22:16:31

At 11/4/15 08:11 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
At 11/4/15 06:26 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote:
now i know drawing bare feet sure is hard xD (at least for me)
this is what i got so far.

It's good. The feet look much better on this version. I think you've lost a little curve on her left thigh (her left, our right), it looks mechanical again. If you're feathering, you really need to watch yourself on the curves, as the natural impulse is to make things straight.

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-08 02:10:51

At 11/4/15 10:16 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: you really need to watch yourself on the curves, as the natural impulse is to make things straight.

yeah, i'm too focused on the feet that i forgot to re-draw some curve to the legs.

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-08 19:48:53 (edited 2015-11-08 19:51:43)

okay just finished with clean line-art.
as usual, i do some small fix into the image while making a clean line-art. any critique/feedback/review are welcome :)

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-12 23:30:27

At 11/8/15 07:48 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: okay just finished with clean line-art.
as usual, i do some small fix into the image while making a clean line-art. any critique/feedback/review are welcome :)

okay it's finished, but i'm getting a hard time trying to create a wet effect on her.. xD
anyway, here it is!

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-11-18 02:12:44

next one~
GazeRei's OC 'Rei', this will be NSFW as the clothing will have 50% or 75% opacity later on, *grin*
ok as usual,.. any critique/feedback/review are welcome! i really need more pair of eyes to improve my own drawing.. thanks a lot for visiting this thread :)

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-01 19:48:42

been a long time since i post something on this thread, and i need to adjust myself because i'm not drawing frequently lately, so basically i got the clean line-art done by now.. gonna color it now. :)

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-02 00:09:59

At 12/1/15 07:48 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: been a long time since i post something on this thread, and i need to adjust myself because i'm not drawing frequently lately, so basically i got the clean line-art done by now.. gonna color it now. :)

okay it's done :)

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-04 01:53:36

Too little, too late, I know BUT perhaps just a little something to think about when designing your future poses. Tilt your lines for "movement". Also, a clear silhouette is important for a clear read of the "scene".

At 11/8/15 07:48 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: okay just finished with clean line-art.

BDWz's WIP

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-04 20:55:51 (edited 2015-12-04 20:58:20)

At 12/4/15 01:53 AM, maficmelody wrote: Too little, too late, I know BUT perhaps just a little something to think about when designing your future poses. Tilt your lines for "movement". Also, a clear silhouette is important for a clear read of the "scene".

thank you for the feedback and examples!! really appreciate it!! :D
will try to do so on my next work :)

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-12 21:50:55

trying out new style.. here is how it is made
this one a drawing about my oc korosai

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-12 21:51:52

At 12/12/15 09:50 PM, BakayaroDaWickrayz wrote: trying out new style.. here is how it is made
this one a drawing about my oc korosai

final version :)

BBS Signature

Response to BDWz's WIP 2015-12-14 08:13:55

okay.. since lvling up now take more and more exp, i guess it doesn't hurt to make an artwork for each lvl milestone from now on.. just reached lvl 8, and i want to make my profile pic's character to match the lvl.. *still using the chiby style, but with more exaggerated effect xD
as usual, any critique/feedback/review are welcome :D

progress so far..

BDWz's WIP

BBS Signature