00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2!

7,186 Views | 114 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Welcome back to the Newgrounds Deserted Island Competition 2: General MIDI!

If you are looking for the results of Round/Phase 1, scroll down!

In Round/Phase 1, contestants had two weeks to create an original .MID file adhering to GM standards. We are now entering Phase 2! This round is open to anyone; you did not need to participate in round/phase 1 to join in. For this phase, you will take one of the 10 MIDI tracks made in the previous round and use absolutely anything and everything to realize it as a production piece- synths, samplers, live instruments, it's all a go!

You can download the files here:
http://ngdic2.versilstudios.net/index.html

Rules:
1. Refrain from editing the compositional content of the files too much. It is okay to elaborate/extend/arrange the piece if you want to develop it a bit more, add a different ending, or you really want one note to go here instead of there, but our main focus is on your production skills. For a hard rule, let's say at least 75% of the material in your finished project needs to be traceable back to the original MIDI.
2. You will NOT be judged or penalized regarding which piece you chose or regarding the composition/writing of that original piece... only for the production/conversion you do to make it a good piece.
3. As always, please refrain from using copyrighted material in your entry. If you use live performances/performers, please credit them (and get permission) so we don't freak out. ;)
4. Entries are due September 20th at 23:55 EST (GMT-5). There will be a 1-hour soft cut-off for technical difficulties ONLY.
5. To submit your song, upload it to Newgrounds and link it in this thread. No anonymous stuff needed this time. :)
6. If you entered a track in Phase 1, you are allowed to use that track in Phase 2.

How Judging Works:
1. The judges will select a best entry and a runner up per each song. This selection will be done based on the production values of the entry; each will receive a signature on request.
2. The judges will then select three entries from that pool (both best + runner-ups) that really impressed us. Each of those three will receive $25.
3. A popular opinion poll will be run for fun to show the favorite pieces at the end. The most popular entry will receive a signature on request.

If you are interested in judging, let me know!

=======
ROUND 1 RESULTS!

Most Popular: #10, or MIDI Mayhem by @Noisysundae
Popular Runner-Up: #2, or Untitled by @SineRider

Mastery in MIDI: #2, or Untitled by @SineRider
Mastery in MIDI Runner-Up: #10, or MIDI Mayhem by @Noisysundae

Composition: #1, or Fading Dream by @LucidShadowDreamer
Composition Runner-Up: #4, or Room 11 by @SkelaNG

Humor/Satire/Least Expected: #8, or Rocky Road by @Frootza
Runner-Up: #3, or \Ur\Gay by @TheBetterAudioPortal

Winners, you will be contacted within the next 24 hours with your prize/request for payment info! It may take a bit, so be patient. :)

Those of you who did not place, you still did an excellent job. The scoring process was very difficult and only so few could place.

I'd like to take a moment to say, WOW, I didn't expect this many genres and unique styles. I don't think I've ever seen another contest where there's literally one of everything. You guys all did a great job and I hope you all decide to participate in phase 2! I don't think there was a single entry that I didn't like. All of us on the judging team (me, @camoshark, @phyrnna) had a very hard time deciding between the entries.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Whaaa? That's insane! :O
Congratulations to all the other winners, and to all of your who participated. Your tracks are awesome :)

And @Noisysundae I totally didn't know which track was yours. I figured a couple of them out I think, but I thought your track was another one :p

EDIT: Never mind, I looked at the wrong number. I totally guessed which one was yours a few days ago, even if I thought it was another one at first. I totally voted for your track too (because it's awesome) :3

I'm super busy with the NGADM atm, but I hope I'll have the time to participate in round 2 as well. Judging starts on the 8th, so I should have a few days if I use them well...

Thanks for organazing a competition with such a lovely theme. I've always wanted to make a MIDI file composition, and this was the perfect excuse!

At 9/6/15 10:04 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Claps claps.

LSD you make me proud.

Thanks! Now back to that collab we're doing...

BTW, here's the list of entries and who made them (sorry, I forgot to add it!):
1: @LucidShadowDreamer
2: @SineRider
3: @TheBetterAudioPortal
4: @SkelaNG
5: @AeronMusic
6: @Czerywassierswizier
7: @Dem0lecule
8: @Frootza
9: @FaeryTaleAdventurer
10: @NoisySundae

EDIT: IMPORTANT:
- To clarify, I will also allow you to enter up to two tracks. You may only enter one track per original MIDI. You also may only win with one track (the one the judges feel is the best out of all of your entries). Happy contestizinging!

- We will also, in honor of the Newgrounds Worst Song Contest, offer a prize for the song that sounds even worse than the GM version. Prize is a picture of a roll of toilet paper.

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-06 23:43:16

You got another follower because I rofl'd at your metal MIDI countless times, @Frootza. XD
My overall favorite was 6 (Wanna know the real title though.) because of that intro on 0:25 alone and perhaps I'm more into electronic music. You also got me as a follower, @CzeryWassierSwizier.
Looks like @SineRider and I got swapped between the most popular and mastery in MIDI.

Thank you for every vote! Going for phase 2 since I'm kinda running out of idea for my next sundae. :P
Kudos to everyone in the contest and congrats to other winners as well. Looking forward to the remixes too.

At 9/6/15 10:06 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: And @Noisysundae I totally didn't know which track was yours. I figured a couple of them out I think, but I thought your track was another one :p

EDIT: Never mind, I looked at the wrong number. I totally guessed which one was yours a few days ago, even if I thought it was another one at first. I totally voted for your track too (because it's awesome) :3

So, is it easy or hard to guess? Gunshot drums ftw!
Btw, which one did you think it was mine? And thanks for voting me. :D

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 00:07:56

At 9/6/15 11:43 PM, Noisysundae wrote:
So, is it easy or hard to guess? Gunshot drums ftw!
Btw, which one did you think it was mine? And thanks for voting me. :D

I don't know why, but from the very start, I thought nr. 5 was yours (probably just the speed). I didn't pay too much attention though, as I was already busy with my NGADM piece. I then decided that nr. 5 was probably midimachine's, but turns out he didn't even participate XD
I liked five though, so good job @AeronMusic, even if you didn't win anything this time :)

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 00:47:00

The mutual love in this thread for each other... it's so touching! *sniffles* :^)

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 01:26:04

At 9/7/15 12:07 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: I don't know why, but from the very start, I thought nr. 5 was yours (probably just the speed). I didn't pay too much attention though, as I was already busy with my NGADM piece. I then decided that nr. 5 was probably midimachine's, but turns out he didn't even participate XD
I liked five though, so good job @AeronMusic, even if you didn't win anything this time :)

I see. Probably I've made too much speedy things. I thought the 8 was MetalRenard's too. :P

At 9/7/15 12:47 AM, Phyrnna wrote: (Sth)

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 03:31:37

At 9/7/15 01:26 AM, Noisysundae wrote:
At 9/7/15 12:47 AM, Phyrnna wrote: (Sth)

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what the seal said over how awesome you bunch are.

not really sorry

At 9/7/15 12:07 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: I liked five though, so good job @AeronMusic, even if you didn't win anything this time :)

Thank you! Ah well, it was fun to make my first and original midi file.
Congrats on winning! (:

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 06:27:13

At 9/7/15 04:00 AM, Lich wrote: Big congrats goes to @LucidShadowDreamer
I haven't actually listened to anyone's submissions yet but I shall do shortly.

Thanks, dude! :D
Make sure to listen to them indeed, as they are all quite amazing ;)

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 10:23:37

Whoa, very cool! Congrats to the other winners as well

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 12:23:51

@LucidShadowDreamer I'm going to make sweet love to your midi.

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 13:55:24

Listening to the entries now, they're so awesome they should just be left untouched xD
In retrospect, I think it's sad I didn't give this contest a go, but I didn't have the time for it. I might try to come up something for this part of the contest though!

Congrats to the winners, and also thumbs up for @samulis for this amazing contest idea.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 19:00:56

At 9/6/15 09:54 PM, samulis wrote: 1. Refrain from editing the compositional content of the files too much.

This is stopping me from entering.

p.s. ur gay

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-07 21:19:54

At 9/7/15 07:00 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
At 9/6/15 09:54 PM, samulis wrote: 1. Refrain from editing the compositional content of the files too much.
This is stopping me from entering.

Well, if we let everyone have total free reign over the tracks, then there'd be no point. The idea is to judge people based on what they can do with existing material in this portion. :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-08 13:23:04

At 9/6/15 11:43 PM, Noisysundae wrote: You got another follower because I rofl'd at your metal MIDI countless times, @Frootza. XD

Dude, how funny was the one sound that was SUPPOSED to be another sound?!

(Among other funny ideas sprinkled* throughout)

*Like ice cream, Rocky Road, Dessert, Desert. It all makes sense now.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-10 09:17:43

At 9/7/15 12:23 PM, SkelaNG wrote: @LucidShadowDreamer I'm going to make sweet love to your midi.

Oh sorry, I forgot to reply to this! That's awesome :D
Can't wait to hear what you do ;)

@Samulis

Hey, can I upload the MIDI version of my track to Newgrounds now, as an mp3?

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-10 14:02:22

At 9/10/15 09:17 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
At 9/7/15 12:23 PM, SkelaNG wrote: @LucidShadowDreamer I'm going to make sweet love to your midi.
Oh sorry, I forgot to reply to this! That's awesome :D
Can't wait to hear what you do ;)

@Samulis

Hey, can I upload the MIDI version of my track to Newgrounds now, as an mp3?

Haha yes, if you really want, but I'd suggest rather than just uploading it as a straight MIDI rendition, producing it with all your assets and entering it in the contest. ;)

BBS Signature

At 9/10/15 02:02 PM, samulis wrote:

Haha yes, if you really want, but I'd suggest rather than just uploading it as a straight MIDI rendition, producing it with all your assets and entering it in the contest. ;)

Heh, maybe I will do that as well. But I actually have my eyes on another composition from the pool that I want to... Upgrade :p
But as you can enter with two submissions, I might just improve my own one as well. I think I'll probably upload the MIDI version too though, mostly for fun. I hope I'll have time to make two entries for this, but we'll see! :D

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-10 17:54:03

Congrats to both @Noisysundae and @SineRider for making the popular favorites! I actually picked their tracks as my top two, but in the opposite order ;)

Hmm maybe I'll actually try making something... never done that before...

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-10 18:22:29

At 9/10/15 05:54 PM, Gragon73 wrote: Congrats to both @Noisysundae and @SineRider for making the popular favorites! I actually picked their tracks as my top two, but in the opposite order ;)
Hmm maybe I'll actually try making something... never done that before...

Do it!

It was a contest just like this one about 5 years ago that got me going with composing, on this very site too. :D

There are tons of free tools and such out there, just ask around in this forum if you have any questions. Lots of helpful people. :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-10 18:31:08

At 9/10/15 06:22 PM, samulis wrote: There are tons of free tools and such out there, just ask around in this forum if you have any questions. Lots of helpful people. :)

I'm trying various demos for now, but I'll ask if none of them suit me :v

At 9/6/15 09:54 PM, samulis wrote: For a hard rule, let's say at least 75% of the material in your finished project needs to be traceable back to the original MIDI.

So are we supposed to be using the MIDI file (i.e. remixing) or creating a new one to make the song?
Basically, I don't want to accidentally break the "original work" rule if I don't change it that much.

At 9/10/15 10:43 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
At 9/6/15 09:54 PM, samulis wrote: For a hard rule, let's say at least 75% of the material in your finished project needs to be traceable back to the original MIDI.
So are we supposed to be using the MIDI file (i.e. remixing) or creating a new one to make the song?
Basically, I don't want to accidentally break the "original work" rule if I don't change it that much.

The challenge is essentially to mock-up/remix the MIDI track, i.e. to take the music that the person composed (in the form of MIDI) and interpret it into a rendered audio format using whatever instruments/technology you have on hand. Your mock-up does not need to match instrument-wise; you can re-orchestrate the work or build your own sounds to go with it.

If you have any concerns regarding the original work rule, be sure to link to the contest thread and explain that your track is an entry in the contest. This is a special condition and permission has been understood as received from the original creators of the MIDI tracks. As always, giving credit to the original creator of the MIDI track (found above) is a good idea. :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-11 14:52:38

At 9/10/15 10:48 PM, samulis wrote: This is a special condition and permission has been understood as received from the original creators of the MIDI tracks. As always, giving credit to the original creator of the MIDI track (found above) is a good idea. :)

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-11 17:38:57

Thought that I'd whip something up from @LucidShadowDreamer 's track and join in the fun since the NGADM is in the judging phase! How's everyone doing?

Might make a second track, might not. We shall see...

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-11 20:05:00

At 9/11/15 05:38 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Thought that I'd whip something up from @LucidShadowDreamer 's track and join in the fun since the NGADM is in the judging phase!

Aaaaaaaand we have a winner.
My track is done but it kinda sucks because I've never produced anything before besides seven years of guitar lessons involving little composition :v

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-11 20:34:45

At 9/11/15 08:05 PM, Gragon73 wrote: Aaaaaaaand we have a winner.
My track is done but it kinda sucks because I've never produced anything before besides seven years of guitar lessons involving little composition :v

Oh, stahp! Don't sell yourself short like that. No one has won anything until the contest is over. I want to hear what you've made! That's the best part of these contests, and budding talent should be nurtured. Every journey begins with a single step and no one starts out with mad skillz--trust me.

Response to NGDIC 2: GM Results + Phase 2! 2015-09-11 20:41:54

At 9/11/15 08:34 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Oh, stahp! Don't sell yourself short like that. No one has won anything until the contest is over. I want to hear what you've made! That's the best part of these contests, and budding talent should be nurtured. Every journey begins with a single step and no one starts out with mad skillz--trust me.

The thing about it right now is that it's basically the original MIDI with a couple volume tweaks and another 16 bars to make it into a full song.
I am having some issues with figuring out how to bend notes in FL though, so if you could tip me off on that one it would be much appreciated. I'm also seemingly unable to change the patches on the MIDI in order to try out some of the different instruments (maybe due to Noisysundae using a preset?), so some help on that would be appreciated as well...

At 9/11/15 08:41 PM, Gragon73 wrote: The thing about it right now is that it's basically the original MIDI with a couple volume tweaks and another 16 bars to make it into a full song.

If you really want to upgrade the music, don't hesitate to replace the MIDI instruments with better samples and even different instruments altogether. There are all kinds of free SoundFonts and VSTs available for download online that can easily be installed and added to FL Studio.

I am having some issues with figuring out how to bend notes in FL though, so if you could tip me off on that one it would be much appreciated.

That I can definitely help you out with! Check out this handy FL Studio - Slides Explained - Warbeats Tutorial and you'll be bending notes in no time. I'm not really sure if it works with MIDI instruments or not, though...

I'm also seemingly unable to change the patches on the MIDI in order to try out some of the different instruments (maybe due to Noisysundae using a preset?), so some help on that would be appreciated as well...

Whoops! Almost forgot to field this one. Like I said up top, it's probably best to right-click on each of the MIDI channels in the Sample Selector (big rectangular buttons just south of the audio playback controls) and replace them with an instrument of higher quality. FL Studio has some preloaded options, but since they're generally considered rather subpar I suggest finding some good SoundFonts / VSTs to play around with.