Welcome back to the Newgrounds Deserted Island Competition 2: General MIDI!
If you are looking for the results of Round/Phase 1, scroll down!
In Round/Phase 1, contestants had two weeks to create an original .MID file adhering to GM standards. We are now entering Phase 2! This round is open to anyone; you did not need to participate in round/phase 1 to join in. For this phase, you will take one of the 10 MIDI tracks made in the previous round and use absolutely anything and everything to realize it as a production piece- synths, samplers, live instruments, it's all a go!
You can download the files here:
1. Refrain from editing the compositional content of the files too much. It is okay to elaborate/extend/arrange the piece if you want to develop it a bit more, add a different ending, or you really want one note to go here instead of there, but our main focus is on your production skills. For a hard rule, let's say at least 75% of the material in your finished project needs to be traceable back to the original MIDI.
2. You will NOT be judged or penalized regarding which piece you chose or regarding the composition/writing of that original piece... only for the production/conversion you do to make it a good piece.
3. As always, please refrain from using copyrighted material in your entry. If you use live performances/performers, please credit them (and get permission) so we don't freak out. ;)
4. Entries are due September 20th at 23:55 EST (GMT-5). There will be a 1-hour soft cut-off for technical difficulties ONLY.
5. To submit your song, upload it to Newgrounds and link it in this thread. No anonymous stuff needed this time. :)
6. If you entered a track in Phase 1, you are allowed to use that track in Phase 2.
How Judging Works:
1. The judges will select a best entry and a runner up per each song. This selection will be done based on the production values of the entry; each will receive a signature on request.
2. The judges will then select three entries from that pool (both best + runner-ups) that really impressed us. Each of those three will receive $25.
3. A popular opinion poll will be run for fun to show the favorite pieces at the end. The most popular entry will receive a signature on request.
If you are interested in judging, let me know!
ROUND 1 RESULTS!
Winners, you will be contacted within the next 24 hours with your prize/request for payment info! It may take a bit, so be patient. :)
Those of you who did not place, you still did an excellent job. The scoring process was very difficult and only so few could place.
I'd like to take a moment to say, WOW, I didn't expect this many genres and unique styles. I don't think I've ever seen another contest where there's literally one of everything. You guys all did a great job and I hope you all decide to participate in phase 2! I don't think there was a single entry that I didn't like. All of us on the judging team (me, @camoshark, @phyrnna) had a very hard time deciding between the entries.