00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

DelRio's cluttered drawing closet

3,208 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2015-08-28 03:01:47

I decided to make an official drawing thread, like that one cool guy who I sometimes talk to, Havegum.

This time I'm just going to post drawings here to get some advice from people who actually know what they're doing.

I feel it's appropriate for the first drawing to be what I've discovered I really like, cartoon portrait caricature thingies.

Let me know how I can improve and stuff.

I'm Del Rio

I like to draw comics and stuff

My Art Thread

This is a drawing I did of Papyrus from Undertale , my wife wanted one as her profile pic for her facebook.

How did I do?

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2015-12-02 01:51:44

I drew Raph, the best ninja turtle.

I have no idea when I drew this, I think it was around last christmas break.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

I drew Strong Bad as sans.

I have no idea why.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-02-29 22:39:38

My first submissions for 2016, on newgrounds at least.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-02-29 22:39:56

And another

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-04-17 17:55:04

New Comic is up!

Let me know what you think!

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Finally have the time to drop that review you had asked for a few weeks ago.
So I've gone through your gallery and I'm just going to start off by saying I don't like to critique webcomics. They're really an entirely different beast from critiquing art and they're not something I'm super experienced with analyzing. That being said where you are currently in your work judging from your most recent submissions I can give you some pointers.

I'm going to do a breakdown of your most recent submission since its probably the best indication of where your work is right now and where it will be heading in the future.
Your backgrounds need to be better realized. In many cases they're just a single color, which isn't bad, but they aren't filling the background completely the edges aren't filled in leaving white gaps between the background and the characters/ props – this makes the whole page look sloppy and unfinished. Taking the time to fill in the colors all of the way will go a long way in your presentation. The same goes for the colors on the people and the props.
Your lines also need to be cleaned up, in many instances they intersect and create little crosses and while this can be used to create a certain style, here I really don't think its working; just take the eraser tool and clean them up a bit it shouldn't take too long
Those white semi transparent blobs you use for highlights need to go for sure. They're not very appealing and take away from the scenes, its good that you're shooting for shading, but you need to pick highlights that work with what your chosen colors – just throwing white on there isn't going to cut it. A good method for highlights is to add some light yellow or white to whatever color you're highlighting then with the newly mixed color make the highlight. Same goes for shading but switch light yellow/white with Blue/violet/black depending on the styles you're shooting for. Also your highlights are applied with no consistent light source. Do some studies of objects under a sing strong light source to work on this.
Your character designs themselves work pretty well for a comic strip style, they definitely have that sort of Charlie Brown, Garfield, calvin & Hobbs look in the shape and eyes. I like the way you've done their mouths and eyes as well - very expressive. Cleaning them up and working on your strokes would enhance the emotion. Try working with quicker strokes and maybe testing out different brush types as well. Doing some gesture drawings is always a great thing to do as is studying up on the line of action. These studies will help you get the most out of your character poses.
The way your characters occasionally overlap into other panels isn't working. Its a common practice for interesting panel composition, but you're not going far enough with it. Right now its just an elbow here, or the edge of a shoe there. To really make it work you need to go all out with it, make larger portions clip in, make it look intentional otherwise you're viewers will think it was an accident and probably not respond favorably to it.
Your text bubbles as they are could use some work too. Make the bubble larger, right now the words are touching the edges of the bubble in all of them the words generally never do that, it makes it cleaner and easier to read and separate from the surrounding panel.
Last thing, give your comics a blank white border around the page, half inch or whatever relative pixel equivalent is good this will focus the action and give the viewer a solid contained space to view. When it goes off the page it can get a little unfocused. Also make sure those panel borders are straight, or if you're going for a look though go all out for it so it reads as intentional.
Keep it all up man, most of these issues stem from a place of not taking the time to do clean up and can easily be fixed. Other parts will come as you draw more and work to improve.

Art Thread. Art Page. Twitter. Very Cool.

BBS Signature

At 5/11/16 04:28 AM, JackDCurleo wrote: Finally have the time to drop that review you had asked for a few weeks ago. And then JackDCurleo wrote a phenomenal art review that was fantastic.

Thanks, dude, I really appreciate it.

I have to apologize for the late response (classes, Verizon strike, blah blah blah ), but thank you SO MUCH for the insightful review.

I know things I do look sloppy, I'm finding more cleaner ways to make these, instead of fast ways, if that makes sense. I rush my work because I just want to see the end result, that's my problem.

I can't thank you enough for the honest response. Never feel like you're going to hurt my feelings or anything, if something I do isn't good, I need to know.

Thanks again. I hope I make sense. I'm really sleep deprived so I hope this makes sense.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-10-03 20:07:46

I made some line art of Captain Pronin,

What do you guys think?

I'd love to get some insight!

What do you think, @HugoTendaz @jafz3d @Potatoman ?

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-10-04 12:05:20

this amazing man! :D someday we return to the old days? to make drawings more often, that would be cool xdxd :D

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-10-04 23:41:41

At 10/4/16 12:05 PM, JAFZ3D wrote: this amazing man! :D someday we return to the old days? to make drawings more often, that would be cool xdxd :D

Yeah, I will make more drawings.

Also, love your steven universe, it's great!

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-10-04 23:52:47

hahaha lol, Thanks :D

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-11-23 16:59:44

I drew marco from metal slug on a stream yesterday.

I think my drawing is slowly improving, but I could use some more specific pointers to get better at drawing figures.

And guns for that matter.

Any advice, @Chazdude, @HugoTendaz, @JAFZ3D, @Rooshie ?

You guys seem to have more experience than me, anything I don do to make this look a bit more like a human?

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-11-23 17:21:35

At 11/23/16 04:59 PM, DiggidyDelRio wrote: I drew marco from metal slug on a stream yesterday.

I think my drawing is slowly improving, but I could use some more specific pointers to get better at drawing figures.

And guns for that matter.

Any advice, @Chazdude, @HugoTendaz, @JAFZ3D, @Rooshie ?

You guys seem to have more experience than me, anything I don do to make this look a bit more like a human?

Now, I'm not an expert when it comes to human anatomy (full-bodied, anyway) but one little tip is that the head seems a bit tall in relation to the body, he almost looks like he's a hunchback or something.

Perhaps moving the part of the face below the nose up a bit, the gap between the nose and mouth is probably what irks me the most.

Also, the proportion of the legs seems a bit stiff compared to the arms, if I were you I'd make them more '/\' rather than '||' other than that, no other major irks to report.

Hope this helped!

"Congratulations, you've found a BBS post from the NG user known as ChazDude! Find three more to win a free hug!" (disclaimer: the hug in question may or may not be virtual)

BBS Signature

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2016-11-23 17:37:34

At 11/23/16 05:21 PM, ChazDude wrote:
At 11/23/16 04:59 PM, DiggidyDelRio wrote: I drew marco from metal slug on a stream yesterday.

Hope this helped!

It does, if he looks like a hunchback, then I think I'm doing something wrong, it's supposed to look like he's kinda bent or slumped back.
Part of the issue is I'm drawing from memory, not for marco himself, but this position was a part of some concept art I can't find online.
I knew something was fucky with the arms, thanks! This is exactly what I needed!

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Some new drawings from my rad sketchbook. Some warm ups and Starfleet/Xbomber drawings. My wife got me the complete series on DVD for Christmas, if you can find it I highly suggest checking it out. It's Thunderbirds meet Star Wars designed and written by Go Nagai. It's a blast to watch.

Warm-ups:

iu_1069_3511827.jpg

The Dai-X and the X-Bomber:

iu_1070_3511827.jpg

Doctor Benn

iu_1071_3511827.jpg

Please tell me what needs improvement and how I can improve. I appreciate your time.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-01-14 23:37:01

iu_2233_3511827.jpg

new year new me

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-01-31 20:21:54

From my favourite part of the smash bros collab

iu_5013_3511827.jpg

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-04-14 13:40:14

iu_19221_3511827.jpg

I'm actually updating this, holy crap.

Here's a drawing I did of Kinnikuman

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-04-14 18:36:53

Some sketches I've done. I'm planning on saving them all to this thread in one way or another, to show my progress. I think I've improved since I've started taking my drawing more seriously.

At least a little bit. I'm no longer at a 14 year old level, maybe I'm more at a 16 or 17 year old now.

Hey, I'll take any improvement at this point.

iu_19303_3511827.jpgiu_19304_3511827.jpgiu_19305_3511827.jpgiu_19306_3511827.jpgiu_19309_3511827.jpgiu_19307_3511827.jpgiu_19308_3511827.jpgiu_19310_3511827.jpg

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-05-04 19:30:20

iu_23747_3511827.jpg

An Axolotl person thing.

I like him.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-05-04 21:41:54

At 5/4/19 07:30 PM, ZRDR wrote:
An Axolotl person thing.

I like him.

I like him too, he's charming.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to DelRio's cluttered drawing closet 2019-05-07 16:09:56

At 5/4/19 09:41 PM, MarckEllo wrote:
At 5/4/19 07:30 PM, ZRDR wrote:
An Axolotl person thing.

I like him.
I like him too, he's charming.

I want to work with this design more. I want to use him for... somthing

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

I haven't been at my drawing desk for a long time, so I did some warmups.

There's Senku from Dr.Stone, the Shonen Jump Logo, two characters I just kinda drew and in the bottom left is Reuben from American FLAGG!

I feel good about these. I like the style I've been acquiring

iu_45616_3511827.jpg

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread