00:00
00:00

N.I.M. Contest Winners!

3,577 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Note: For anyone who makes games, these songs make GREAT game music and are in categories, so if you like what you hear, contact the people who made these kickin' tunes and ask before you use them. They don't have to be used like the category they're in either.

Game: @Coolboyman and I want to make a game out of the concept art in the Newgrounds Tribute Video @JinnDEvilI and I worked together (I provided ideas, he made the amazing artwork). He's a great artist, but we need a new artist capable of drawing 16-bit like he does. If interested, contact me! Also, didn't have time for the video, because of getting the results at the last minute. Sorry guys!

Video:

And now, it's time to announce who won the Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest, made in honor of Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary this year! Below we will announce the top 3 winners, and the runner-ups by categories! Now, for the album these songs will be on (free download below), this year, the order is different. I've organized it like a game soundtrack, like it tells a story.

DOWNLOAD THE ALBUM HERE FOR FREE:
https://newgroundsinspiredmusic.bandcamp.com/album/newgrounds-inspired-music-20-years-of-newgrounds

Top 3 Winners

1st Place:

Prize:
Message me for prizes when you read this. You win a trophy plush toy designed by BloodOverDust, free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, a pair of NEW Phyrnna designer headphones (when they're finished anyway, speak to @Phyrnna), an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song is on the N.I.M. compilation album!

2nd Place:

Prize:
Message me for prizes when you read this. You win free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album!

3rd Place:

Prize:
Free keys to NG developer Steam games, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album!

Runner-Ups (by category): All these songs are on the contest album! :D

Title Music

Menu Music

Stage/Level Music

Boss Music

Bonus Round Music

Good Ending Music

Bad Ending Music

Game Over Music

Special Thanks

Firstly, I want to thank @TomFulp for his amazing support for my yearly contests and featuring them. We love bringing the community together!

Thank you @Phyrnna for being a judge for my contests and being the one who came up with the Art Inspired Music contest with me, you will always have a spot in my contests (and in my heart).

Thank you @MindChamber for being an awesome robot with accurate statistical logic, and showing your support for this contest, being a judge. Your judgement is valid.

Thank you @Samination for being a judge as well, you're also a busy guy, but you spared your time for this contest, and it's much appreciated! You're awesome.

Thank you @JohnnyUtah for being a judge, you contributed a great deal to newgrounds over the years as well as many of these fine folks, and to take extra time for this contest means a lot. Props!

And thank you, Newgrounders! Next year, look forward to the next AIM contest!

N.I.M. Contest Winners!

New Piercing Lazer album "The Other Side Chronicles" coming June 8th to Itunes, BandCamp, and other digital stores!

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:02:40

You can download the contest album here:
https://newgroundsinspiredmusic.bandcamp.com/album/newgrounds-inspired-music-20-years-of-newgrounds

Took forever to upload..whew! Enjoy!

New Piercing Lazer album "The Other Side Chronicles" coming June 8th to Itunes, BandCamp, and other digital stores!

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:12:26

Well, that's a nice album. Congrats to the winners !

Seeing that there are no less than 45 pieces in the album, i was wondering ; how many submissions were there in the contest ?

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:13:18

Nice! Congratz to the winners!

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:17:04

At 7/20/15 07:13 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Nice! Congratz to the winners!

I loved your Good Ending piece, it's in there and it's one of my favorites in that category, but so hard to choose, all the choices here are great pieces!

At 7/20/15 07:12 PM, Deflektor wrote:
Seeing that there are no less than 45 pieces in the album, i was wondering ; how many submissions were there in the contest ?

No idea, but I counted one day around 90 I think it was, or pretty close. Huge amount!

At 7/20/15 07:06 PM, Seprix wrote: Wow, 2/3 of my songs made it onto the album. Not bad.

Yes, I loved your pieces :)

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:22:10

At 7/20/15 07:17 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:13 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Nice! Congratz to the winners!
I loved your Good Ending piece, it's in there and it's one of my favorites in that category, but so hard to choose, all the choices here are great pieces!

Thank you! I've just finished downloading the whole album. I even had to shorten some of the file names or Windows would freak out :D

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:26:19

At 7/20/15 07:22 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:

Thank you! I've just finished downloading the whole album. I even had to shorten some of the file names or Windows would freak out :D

wow really? What happened? How did you pull that off?

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:32:37

Whooo!!!! :D
Congratulations to the winners! They were all very deserving :)

And wow, that's quite the album! Downloading it right now :3
Thanks for organizing this awesome contest, and thanks to all the judges as well for all the hard work!

It was fun participating in this with all of you ;)

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:34:23

At 7/20/15 07:32 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Whooo!!!! :D
Congratulations to the winners! They were all very deserving :)

And wow, that's quite the album! Downloading it right now :3
Thanks for organizing this awesome contest, and thanks to all the judges as well for all the hard work!

It was fun participating in this with all of you ;)

Aww thank you :) I loved your pieces.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:36:31

Lame, I didn't make it.

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 19:46:46

At 7/20/15 07:12 PM, Deflektor wrote:
No idea, but I counted one day around 90 I think it was, or pretty close. Huge amount!

With so many (great) submissions, no wonder none of my entries are included in the album. Damn, i must suck harder than i think.

Well, next time, i guess.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 20:15:33

At 7/20/15 07:26 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:22 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:

wow really? What happened? How did you pull that off?

Yeah, no problem. I was just trying to copy the whole folder to a different directory, and apparently some files including the album folder had a name that Windows thought it was too long, lol. I just shortened them and problem solved.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 20:24:37

At 7/20/15 07:46 PM, Deflektor wrote:
With so many (great) submissions, no wonder none of my entries are included in the album. Damn, i must suck harder than i think.

Aww hey don't look at it like that, you don't suck. There were some submissions that didn't make it that I liked. I will say some of the submissions were not great or "skillful", but part of this contest is to help give everyone advice to brush up on their skills as well as bringing this community together for something fun. :) Chin up, you'll get better with time. We all started somewhere, and we got better overtime. Took me years to get me where I am now. Keep goin'!

At 7/20/15 08:15 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
Yeah, no problem. I was just trying to copy the whole folder to a different directory, and apparently some files including the album folder had a name that Windows thought it was too long, lol. I just shortened them and problem solved.

Weird. Sorry about that lol.

At 7/20/15 08:14 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:36 PM, larrynachos wrote: Lame, I didn't make it.
No need to worry, there is always next year!

Yeah seriously, like I told the guy up there, some songs I liked didn't make it. I really liked your piano piece.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 20:54:30 (edited 2015-07-20 20:59:08)

Congratulations everyone !

I wish I could have submitted more than a single track, but at least, I'm glad I made it into the runner-ups :)
Actually, I haven't been able to finish my second submission in time because of my exams. I wanted to make an epic hybrid/orchestral track called "The Zero Bomb", just because of a stupid pun between the name of the Zero Faction and... well, I think you already guessed. ^^

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 21:22:43

Happy playing NG steam games for free and congrats, winners. :D
I want a picture of the gears Mattashi will get really, really bad. (I smell the references.)
I only submitted a sundae due to works on my About 2.0. Will make sure to clear all things before the next NIM starts.

At 7/20/15 08:24 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 7/20/15 08:14 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:36 PM, larrynachos wrote: Lame, I didn't make it.
No need to worry, there is always next year!
Yeah seriously, like I told the guy up there, some songs I liked didn't make it. I really liked your piano piece.

Definitely. Since the judges are many, you can't do what you want sometimes. :P
But everyone gotta improve their skills, right?

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 21:58:13 (edited 2015-07-20 21:58:45)

At 7/20/15 09:38 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 7/20/15 08:54 PM, Ylmir wrote: Ylmir - The Zero Bomb
lol it would be very ironic if it was your entry, because the 0-bombing squadron will notice!

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤHaters g0nna b0mb.

Too bad permanent votes came after NIM deadline. :(

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 22:21:08

Wow, this came as a total surprise. D:

I hardly expected they'd even let me on the album... this was a huge honor guys. There were some fabulous entries in this contest from all corners of the field, it must have been insane to judge.

Speaking of insane judging, gotta go back and help make sure skye didn't get stepped on...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 22:58:36

@RealFaction

I hate to be a total mood killer...
But don't you think that @chris354's track is too similar to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor? To me, it sounds a lot like an altered MIDI file, to be honest. Some points are even exactly alike, and some are at different points than in the original. Some parts just sound extended, and other parts have the same chords but slighly differing melodies from the original. I have heard Bach's work like 100 times, and I can say that this is practically stolen (even if it's a classical piece, and "meant" to be inspired?). But I am like 99% sure that this is an altered midi rip. It's not 100% unoriginal, but not far away. I urge you to listen to both Bach's track, and chris's, and you'll notice tons of similarities. I think one of the criteria was to be original?
I mean, I hope that he's come and explain himself here in the very least. I feel that there must be some other person who would've deserved to be in the album more though, like @larrynachos or another runner-up for example?

Of course, I need proof, but it's there all over the piece.

But one example: Listen to 0:45 of this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

And 5:13 of this:

That's one of pretty much unlimited similarities. Inspiration is one thing, but I think this is a MIDI alteration. I can point out more parts if you want to, but I doubt it's really needed.

I hope I won't get a lot of hate PM's hehhe :)

Also, for some reason, I got @Phonometrologist's "Innocence" twice when I downloaded the album. This must mean that his track was so great that it had to be there twice! No, but seriously. It might've just be me, could someone confirm? Thanks for listening to this downer complaint!

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 23:41:08

At 7/20/15 08:24 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:46 PM, Deflektor wrote:
Aww hey don't look at it like that, you don't suck. There were some submissions that didn't make it that I liked. I will say some of the submissions were not great or "skillful", but part of this contest is to help give everyone advice to brush up on their skills as well as bringing this community together for something fun. :) Chin up, you'll get better with time. We all started somewhere, and we got better overtime. Took me years to get me where I am now. Keep goin'!

If you knew how long i have been writing music, seeing how "good" i am, not only you wouldn't dare to say that, but you would say i'm pathetic. Aw well, i'm used to it, anyway. I'm not called a "genius of mediocrity" for nothing.

Also, i agree with LucidShadowDreamer. I know the Toccata practically by heart, and this submission is awfully familiar. Barely any modification seems to have been done, except for various tempo alterations.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 23:46:07 (edited 2015-07-20 23:51:07)

At 7/20/15 10:58 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: @RealFaction

I hate to be a total mood killer...
But don't you think that @chris354's track is too similar to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor? To me, it sounds a lot like an altered MIDI file, to be honest.

Wow....that kinda makes me upset. I see what you mean, thanks fro pointing that out. I don't see why someone would do that. Well...disqualified that song. I'm sorry. I'm going to have to replace it. @larrynachos looks like your song will make the spot after all. I did like one of your pieces a lot.

This one is the new runner-up to replace it:

I'll update the album on bandcamp with this piece. Can't believe I didn't spot this sooner. Thanks guys. I feel dumb. I've now organized the album based on categories like a game soundtrack so it tells more of a story and has more of a flow. I'll post about that here in a minute.

Also, for some reason, I got @Phonometrologist's "Innocence" twice when I downloaded the album. This must mean that his track was so great that it had to be there twice! No, but seriously. It might've just be me, could someone confirm? Thanks for listening to this downer complaint!

Yeah, I was still editing the list, somehow it got on there twice, not sure how. I removed it, so hopefully now there's no duplicates of any of the songs.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 23:51:19

At 7/20/15 11:46 PM, RealFaction wrote:
Wow....that kinda makes me upset. I don't see why someone would do that. Well...disqualified that song. I'm sorry. I'm going to have to replace it. @larrynachos looks like your song will make the spot after all. I did like one of your pieces a lot.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/626303
I'll update the album on bandcamp with this piece. Can't believe I didn't spot this sooner. Thanks guys. I feel dumb. I've now organized the album based on categories like a game soundtrack so it tells more of a story and has more of a flow. I'll post about that here in a minute.

Yeah, I was still editing the list, somehow it got on there twice, not sure how. I removed it, so hopefully now there's no duplicates of any of the songs.

Thanks a lot for listening! Stealing other people's work (and sometimes disguising it) is way too common when it comes to music :/
I have become afraid of scouting unless I feel extremely certain that all the tracks a user has uploaded are legit.

Great! I'll download the album again then!

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-20 23:59:04

At 7/20/15 11:46 PM, RealFaction wrote: Wow....that kinda makes me upset. I see what you mean, thanks fro pointing that out. I don't see why someone would do that. Well...disqualified that song. I'm sorry. I'm going to have to replace it. @larrynachos looks like your song will make the spot after all. I did like one of your pieces a lot.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/626303

Yay! Thanks a bunch RF! I'm so glad in the end I managed to make it into the album!

@LucidShadowDreamer I owe you bro. Big time :D And thank you and @dem0lecule for mentioning me when bringing this to everyone's attention. It means a lot to me.

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 00:02:31

At 7/20/15 11:59 PM, larrynachos wrote:
@LucidShadowDreamer I owe you bro. Big time :D And thank you and @dem0lecule for mentioning me when bringing this to everyone's attention. It means a lot to me.

No problem ;)
You honestly deserve it, because your music is awesome :)

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 00:05:39

At 7/21/15 12:02 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: No problem ;)

I'm surprised you didn't win though. Fantasiamaailma was a masterpiece.

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 00:10:38

At 7/21/15 12:05 AM, larrynachos wrote:
At 7/21/15 12:02 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: No problem ;)
I'm surprised you didn't win though. Fantasiamaailma was a masterpiece.

Thanks! But all the winners have great tracks, so there's no hard feelings ;)

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 01:05:13 (edited 2015-07-21 01:05:58)

Congratulations to all the winners and runner-ups, I'm downloading the album now to enjoy during commutes.

I hope to enter another one of these in the future, so see everybody next time!

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 01:09:08

Ladies and gents, the album has been UPDATED to be arranged like a game soundtrack, telling a story with flow.

- Track 1: Basically the same concept as in the tribute video, it has an opening before the title screen. Story about how Newgrounds is a happy place, then the portal gets taken over and shut down, by the Zero Faction. You must save the day!

-Track 2: After you press start, and start a new game, it shows the peacefulness of newgrounds. You're Pico, you talk to your friends at school (after the events of Pico's School), run a few errands during this lovely day.

- Track 3: Someone sneaks into the school who isn't a student, the lights go out. You turn on the flashlight, and investigate the situation. Find out who it is, and what they're up to.

- Track 4: You go into the basement, afraid of what's coming next. You overhear the trespasser, speaking to Cassandra. She has been revived (villain from Pico's School).

- Track 5: When you return to class, you tell the teacher and your friends the situation, but nobody believes you, except for Darnell.

- Track 6: You and Darnell plan for the fight ahead of them. Cassandra breaks out of the basement, and starts setting the school on fire. Some of your friends get killed in the action.

- Track 7: Your heroic speech to stop Cassandra. Also, this would be the overworld music (level select/map theme).

- Track 8: You spring into action and so the fight begins. This would be the first level in the school. You fight Cassandra's minions. You get your fists ready, and eventually find a machine gun. First fight with Cassandra as a mini-boss.

- Track 9: You find one of the tankmen. He briefs you on exactly what's going on. He followed the mysterious trespasser on the road. It's a Newgrounds user, but their identity is unknown. But he knew this user was up to no good in some way, after seeing them drive by with an anti-blam chamber, which could revive blammed content, and revive people from the dead. He wonders why Tom even made that device.

- Track 10: Cassandra crashes in again, and explains the evil plot of the Zero Faction. She plans on destroying the school, and was promised an army to rule over if the leader of the faction had her loyalty to serve under him. The Zero Faction plans to revive every piece of blammed content sent to the Newgrounds graveyard, and revive old souls, as well as corrupting the good folks of newgrounds to turn it into their chaotic playground. The portal would become unstable and destroy everything in the process if they overloaded it like that, the tankman says. The trespasser steps in and fires a gun at you that sends you to another location.

- Track 11: You are at the center of the Earth, in the caves surrounded by rocks and lava. You search for a way out.

- Track 12: You find a lake, in an area illuminated by glowing crystals. In the distance, you see a cave creature, who glows the same color as the crystals. Could it be...a living crystal creature? It is a cute floating fairy-looking creature, who says they will help you back to the surface, since you are completely lost.

- Track 13: You follow Nyx, the creature guiding you through the cave system. You fight your way through rock monsters, and eventually reach an elemental mini-boss.

Track 14: You've reached the surface, and Nyx gives you a new beam blaster weapon. Music plays as you select the next stage.

Track 15: You decide to go to the Clock Crew's Tower to speak with @StrawberryClock about the issue at hand. You step into his office and speak in detail. He shows his concern, and will forward the concern to Tom Fulp in 2 weeks.

Track 16: Suddenly, the trespasser steps into the room and blasts @StrawberryClock with a gun. Suddenly he turns evil and tells you to get out. You do as he says. Suddenly, the Clock Crew starts attacking you. This would be the start of the next stage.

Track 17: You realize you must stop @StrawberryClock before he floods the area with the B's he's coughing up. You defeat him. Boss fight.

Track 18: You decide to head to the Newgrounds HQ yourself. You walk along the road and find yourself strolling through a nice neighborhood. Everyone is corrupted here too. You fight off random civilians who try to attack you. Suddenly, Blockhead appears! Mini-boss fight.

Track 19: After more strolling, you then face @Samination (Taco-Man), one of the big baddies in the Zero Faction. He tell you that you won't stop them, but you show him wrong. Boss fight. You move on.

Track 20: You transition from the ringing gates of the city, to the scorching desert wasteland. You fight corrupted tankmen here. The tankman with you mourns for his brothers-in-arms. You all decide to try to find a detour so you don't get dehydrated. Tank mini-boss.

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 01:09:26

Part 2:

Track 21: You find a forest where you find a lot of shade and strange creatures. You're in Brackenwood. You fight the creatures as you venture through the forest.

Track 22: Bitey mini-boss. He doesn't like you trespassing in his territory. He isn't corrupted, just doesn't like you.

Track 23: You find yourself back in the scorching desert, but farther along thanks to the detour. Captain @JohnnyUtah, one of the Zero Faction members, stops you in your tracks. The corrupted leader of the tankmen attacks you with his arsenal of weapons. Boss fight.

Track 24: You notice a city in the distance, and head towards it. It's been damaged, possibly thanks to Cassandra and the others burning the buildings and wrecking everything. You investigate further until....

Track 25: You are suddenly attacked by Agents (from the Madness Series). You fight them along the way as you progress down the road.

Track 26: Hank (from Madness) mini-boss. He's been corrupted too. It will be tough to defeat a skilled warrior.

Track 27: You progress further along the city until you spot @MindChamber, one of the Zero Faction members. He analyzes your moves and tries to take you out. Boss fight.

Track 28: You see Tricky the Clown revived, alive and well. He gives you a challenge of some sort. Mini-game/Bonus Round.

Track 29: You see a tower in the distance at the edge of the city. it's @Phyrnna's Tower. You fear she's been corrupted too. She's usually friendly, but probably not anymore. You see knights guarding the castle. You have to fight them, then you venture inside the dark, mysterious place. Stone Knight mini-boss.

Track 30: You continue through the tower and explore the mysteries inside as you hear the sound of security cameras tracking your every move, and taking pictures of you.

Track 31: It turns out, Phyrnna had just been caged by the trespasser right been you arrived. You have a heartfelt conversation and see her tear-filled eyes. You promise you'll free her.

Track 32: The trespasser corrupts her, and she breaks free with her new powers. She becomes a Zero Faction member, and follows the command to kill you. Boss Fight.

Track 33: You are sad to see Phyrnna knocked out, but you move on. You exit the tower and move on to the road to the NG HQ for the final fight.

Track 34: You step inside the fortress, and fight your way through the robot guards. It looks like you're inside a giant computer. P-bot mini-boss.

Track 35: The final stretch to fight your way to the top of the fortress.

Track 36: You find out the leader of the Zero Faction, it's RealFaction (me). He is about to plug the anti-blam chip into the portal, but you stop him. Boss fight.

Track 37: Tom Fulp thanks you for saving Newgrounds, and challenges you to a friendly duel. Boss Fight.

Tracks 38, 39: Game over music.

Track 40: You give up, you see Newgrounds get destroyed. It's all over now.

Track 41: Bad Ending title card pops up.

Track 42: You save the day, and become a praised hero. RealFaction apologizes and gets jailed. Everyone's happy.

Track 43: You're back home. You look over the peaceful land.

Track 44: Credits

BBS Signature

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 02:14:32

...woow. 3rd place and my songs made it into the album?

i dunno what to say.

im just really happy that you liked them T_T (manly tears)

Response to N.I.M. Contest Winners! 2015-07-21 02:49:39

thanks @RealFaction for your work in making this contest happen! glad to have been a part of it :))
time to listen to this awesome album and not just track 7 ;)

Good job everyone!

HektikMusic - More tracks then you can shake a stick at...fetch!

BBS Signature