00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Too Many Games & Robot Day

14,777 Views | 47 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 6/26/15 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've been considering parting with a childhood toy for my favorite entry.

Childhood toys are worthless crap. I asked Jay Scherline, an attorney with 30 years of experience, shortly before he died. Childhood toys are absolutely worthless because they're made of plastic, not gold or any other precious metals. He was a Freemason too, so he knows more about the universe than the rest of us, so between that and his legal expertise, I'm sure he's qualified to say what's worth what. And his legal opinion, regarding the destruction of every childhood toy in my home (I'd kept every one I ever got) due to an explosion of unscented natural gas from an improperly maintained pipeline with no functional emergency shut-off mechanism (owned and operated by the UGI corporation, who's recently expanded its business into France, but who'll get to fixing their pipelines in Pennsylvania when they get around to it as budgeting allows) was that it was all, and I quote, "a bunch of worthless crap".

So stop trying to swindle people with such worthless prizes. A nickel or a dime you found on the street would be more valuable than a piece of plastic from over 5 years ago.

On the other hand, all my art was of zero value too, as I'd not had any financial success with any of it, so maybe your worthless piece of crap is as good a prize as any for the worthless crap that's being made by all of these naive and delusional people who think there's some kind of value to the crap they make.

Everyone's just lucky to be alive at all. That's the only prize that matters. Anyone who wants more is selfish, ungrateful, and immature. Anyone who thinks their art might matter in any way is experiencing delusions of grandeur and needs to get their life back on track and start thinking realistically and taking some responsibility.

What do your parents think of you spending so much time drawing pictures instead of doing something that'll earn you a real living? You have to get your head out of the clouds and think about your future. You're not functioning very well. You all need to accept you have a problem and start making some effort to get your life together.

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-06-29 09:15:40

At 6/26/15 06:04 PM, nat29 wrote: I've never submitted something for Robot Day before, but is there any loading/intro art or something for it like this one being for this year's Pico Day?
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/studiopep/ng-20-pico-day-2015

Nothing planned at the moment but maybe...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-06-29 09:24:29

At 6/27/15 06:21 AM, Fro wrote: I remember when we use to have writing competitions on these special days before. Do you think there is anyway to increase activity to the writing forum/section of the website Tom? I've tried brainstorming ideas, but it's hard to get any attention or activity over there.

Some of my favorite memories from newgrounds were reading all the entries and voting.

I'm down for a Robot Day Writing category if you (or a team) are up for judging! The writing portions were always hardest to judge - it took longer than expected to read everything and then it came down to trying to be a good writing critic... Let me know if you'd want to judge!

BBS Signature

At 6/27/15 07:28 PM, Vixuzar wrote:
At 6/26/15 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: Robot Day is July 10th, giving you TWO WEEKS to make a movie, game, song or art about ROBOTS!
Is it okay if participants used the regular Newgrounds flash preloader for their flash movies/games?
Or is there a specific preloader we need to use?

You can use a regular NG loader! We don't make special preloaders anymore because so many people aren't using the Flash IDE / aren't submitting as SWF (for example, movies uploaded as MP4, games made with outside frameworks or other IDE's entirely like Unity).

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-06-29 10:31:35

At 6/29/15 09:24 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I'm down for a Robot Day Writing category if you (or a team) are up for judging! The writing portions were always hardest to judge - it took longer than expected to read everything and then it came down to trying to be a good writing critic... Let me know if you'd want to judge!

Even if it ended up just being me a judge like the 100 other times we've held special holiday writing competitions I'd be ok with that. I always felt a little weird being the only judge though because without at least three people judging you feel like you let down someone who may have written something that other people enjoyed, but you didn't. If anyone can read and be non judgmental while judging (yeah, I just said that) it would be me.

I'll let you know in the next few days what I can work up.

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-06-30 15:52:29

ben had fun

Too Many Games & Robot Day

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-06-30 17:17:16

Nuts. Won't be making this one.

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-01 02:00:20

@TurkeyOnAStick, your motherboard is so old she speaks Antikytheran.
@deathink, don't you have a blue screen of death to attend to?

Bring it on, system failures.

test-object I'm getted too many blue screens and I not screamed.

My signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-01 02:06:47

At 6/26/15 11:53 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: And @deathink, fuck it.

Deathink's gonna fuck up every other artist's chance of winning

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-01 09:08:35

Still what are the prizes?

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." Shigeru Miyamoto

Do the games have to be specifically made for robot day?
I happen to have released a game on Newgrounds a few days ago that features robots... mainly.
Didn't know about robot day before now.

Is it still possible to enter with an already released game?

At 7/2/15 03:45 AM, Wyeth00 wrote: Do the games have to be specifically made for robot day?
I happen to have released a game on Newgrounds a few days ago that features robots... mainly.

I added a robotday2015 tag and I'll front page it on Robot Day. Have you guys tried a WebGL export by any chance?

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-02 12:16:32

I don't think I can go all out and animate something for robot day but if someone is working on a collab then count me in !

MetaMike

This is no longer a Democracy

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-02 14:02:52

Uh Oh only just finished my robot day script! D:

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-02 14:58:05

I WANNA MAKE A MOVIE FOR THE ROBOT DAY BUT I CAN'T

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-02 15:55:44

At 7/2/15 10:04 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/2/15 03:45 AM, Wyeth00 wrote: Do the games have to be specifically made for robot day?

I added a robotday2015 tag and I'll front page it on Robot Day. Have you guys tried a WebGL export by any chance?

Hey, thanks a lot Tom,

Yeah we tried doing WebGL but it messes up our sound completely (among other smaller bugs). There is no word from Unity if this will be fixed and we don't even quite know how it is happening (like whats causing it). Unity basically told us "it's beta, deal with it" (I am paraphrasing). I think its a threading issue.

Sooo... I guess no HTML5 version for us, at least not till Unity fixes it up... or we meet someone who knows how to fix it up.

Hopefully in the future its possible (or just with our next project).
Looking forward to robot day.

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-03 05:43:25

Hey can i make something for both Robot day and NIM contest? I'm too late for those <:(

Ta-da!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Too Many Games & Robot Day 2015-07-03 09:38:13

At 7/3/15 05:43 AM, IPSBLT wrote: Hey can i make something for both Robot day and NIM contest? I'm too late for those <:(

Are you thinking one song for both competitions? I suppose that would be ok!

BBS Signature