00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boayne98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

June 2015 Challenge of the Month!

16,214 Views | 143 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 05:41:26

Would Stitch from Lilo and Stitch be considered a Child?

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 09:28:12

All those years and it's still dangerous to go alone

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 16:22:23

Back lines done! I began the base coloring (not showing in this wip). Everyone concept is so interesting up to now!

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 16:41:16

Small update. Lineart is more or less done.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 18:44:45

Quick update on my WIP! Taken my pen sketch and drawn it out in Sketchbook Pro.

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 19:24:21

Work in progress

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 23:16:29

50% Complete

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-03 23:37:31

That's all for today. Need some colors to make it "pop". And other details.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 07:26:04

At 6/3/15 11:37 PM, Angelus-Mortis wrote: That's all for today. Need some colors to make it "pop". And other details.

Adding a yellow tinge to the skin (particularly around the eyes) would definitely make it pop because of the fact that purple and yellow are opposites on the colour wheel.

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 07:57:44

Here's my full WIP: My Childhood Memory

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 08:36:44

my early sketch for "Old Bob the Drunkard"

Its all in the Design... Worship Design... cause its what matters, Muhaaahaaahaaa....haaa haa hee aa... hrmmm...

Sci

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 09:30:48

At 6/4/15 07:57 AM, AniLover16 wrote: Here's my full WIP: My Childhood Memory

This is soo cute!

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 09:51:56

At 6/4/15 09:04 AM, ProdanDimitrow wrote: Guys this is how it looks right now, I'm not sure what to add in... need help.

Your shadows would definetly need to be refined. The calendar doesn't even have any. When I talk about shadows, I talk about smooth colored shadows, it will help to make people really grasp the tragic mood. Right now, it's too bright.

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 10:11:42

At 6/4/15 09:04 AM, ProdanDimitrow wrote: Guys this is how it looks right now, I'm not sure what to add in... need help.

And the mood could afford to be darker. It just doesn't feel scary enough because all the colors look bright.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 14:44:51

OLDBOB the Drunkard Version 2 .
Just a few hours ago, my mom came and saw what i was doing... and she really appreciated a bunch of drawing i had done and then suddenly i end up doing this... So that's what a mother's blessing is...
The thing is this is the second time i have done any kind of painting in my life.

Its all in the Design... Worship Design... cause its what matters, Muhaaahaaahaaa....haaa haa hee aa... hrmmm...

Sci

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 17:13:18

Had no idea what I wanted to do for the contest, until a childhood memory came to me, and so this idea came to mind!

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 19:34:06

There, finished mine.

Wonder if people know what medium some of those easter eggs are from.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-04 21:46:52

Working on a quick sketch for my entry. Doing a famous magician as a little kid doing a talent show.

I decided to go with old man Sora from Kingdom Hearts welcoming some of the newer Disney Characters into the game :)
I'm also doing a different style of painting then my usual as practice.

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-05 02:29:57

At 6/5/15 02:09 AM, ajninehtJay wrote: I decided to go with old man Sora from Kingdom Hearts welcoming some of the newer Disney Characters into the game :)
I'm also doing a different style of painting then my usual as practice.

Sketch ^_^

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-05 06:12:02

At 6/4/15 09:30 AM, Justown wrote:
At 6/4/15 07:57 AM, AniLover16 wrote: Here's my full WIP: My Childhood Memory
This is soo cute!

First shading... Trying to decide weither the fire under the cauldron or the potion or both will be the lighting source... Also, I think i'll make it night outside because if I don't, I'll have to worry about another light source with the window. Big puzzle as you see :)

edit: just realised the colors between photoshop and here is way off too... In psd they are much brighter. Even in my browser it's brighter. There is just here that the colors looses their vibrances (not sure how to put that otherwise)

At 6/5/15 03:07 PM, miliade wrote: First shading... Trying to decide weither the fire under the cauldron or the potion or both will be the lighting source... Also, I think i'll make it night outside because if I don't, I'll have to worry about another light source with the window. Big puzzle as you see :)

edit: just realised the colors between photoshop and here is way off too... In psd they are much brighter. Even in my browser it's brighter. There is just here that the colors looses their vibrances (not sure how to put that otherwise)

Do you have Proof colors turned on? I found that having them turned on makes it look like CMYK mode, and you don't want that if you want to stay in RGB space. And it doesn't export your image in those colors.

I would say to use both light sources. If you can handle it. Maybe one of those light sources, depending on which one is stronger (or whichever one it is you want to have more focus), should be the primary light, and the other one will only slightly affect the areas or parts of objects around it.

Personally, I think it would be a lot easier to start with the background and color and shade the characters last. It's a lot easier to pick colors for the foreground once you've established the atmosphere.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Do you have Proof colors turned on? I found that having them turned on makes it look like CMYK mode, and you don't want that if you want to stay in RGB space. And it doesn't export your image in those colors.

I would say to use both light sources. If you can handle it. Maybe one of those light sources, depending on which one is stronger (or whichever one it is you want to have more focus), should be the primary light, and the other one will only slightly affect the areas or parts of objects around it.

Personally, I think it would be a lot easier to start with the background and color and shade the characters last. It's a lot easier to pick colors for the foreground once you've established the atmosphere.

Proof colors? Where is that? Never heard of it... For the characters, as I said I was supposed to only have one light source, which didn't showed off so I thought doing background could be done last since I don't like doing them for all sorts of reasons. First being I always hesitate on the amount of details and end up putting too much or not enought. Howerver, if I was too add the window as a light source, it would be a good idea.... Only thing is how will I do that? So... adding a new light source from behind on the right corner would affect slightly the old panoramix and not too much on the younger one. Unless I do just like the original house and put a dim ligth source from above and left corner.... No... One is enought problem already.

Ok. So window light to work on and background to do. And need to find that color thingy too so it looks better on here. Thanks for the help! And sorry for the rambling up there. Was trying to figure out something :)

edit: found out the proof colors with the help of internet, and it was not checked. I'm in adobe rvb 1998 with relative colorimetry. The problems only show on newground too so maybe it as something to do with the site? I also compared the jpeg file to the psd files and they look alike. Same thing when I export the jpeg file directly on my browser (which is safari).

At 6/5/15 05:12 PM, miliade wrote:

Proof colors? Where is that? Never heard of it... For the characters, as I said I was supposed to only have one light source, which didn't showed off so I thought doing background could be done last since I don't like doing them for all sorts of reasons. First being I always hesitate on the amount of details and end up putting too much or not enought. Howerver, if I was too add the window as a light source, it would be a good idea.... Only thing is how will I do that? So... adding a new light source from behind on the right corner would affect slightly the old panoramix and not too much on the younger one. Unless I do just like the original house and put a dim ligth source from above and left corner.... No... One is enought problem already.

Ok. So window light to work on and background to do. And need to find that color thingy too so it looks better on here. Thanks for the help! And sorry for the rambling up there. Was trying to figure out something :)

edit: found out the proof colors with the help of internet, and it was not checked. I'm in adobe rvb 1998 with relative colorimetry. The problems only show on newground too so maybe it as something to do with the site? I also compared the jpeg file to the psd files and they look alike. Same thing when I export the jpeg file directly on my browser (which is safari).

I don't know why a particular site would display the colors differently. If it's the same jpg file, it should look the same on a different website, so long as you stay on the same browser. Most of the color problems result from not using the correct color profile. You have to find one that closely matches your monitor.

I meant the light sources from the potion and the flames, but you can include the windows too. I find it might detract from the rest of the image, so if you choose to use the window light source, you'd have to make it dim enough that it won't interfere with the light from cauldron.

You don't have to do all the details in the backgrounds right away. Just a simple color wash, and maybe really general details and forms, but nothing specific. That would be enough to create an atmosphere you can work with.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

I don't know why a particular site would display the colors differently. If it's the same jpg file, it should look the same on a different website, so long as you stay on the same browser. Most of the color problems result from not using the correct color profile. You have to find one that closely matches your monitor.

I meant the light sources from the potion and the flames, but you can include the windows too. I find it might detract from the rest of the image, so if you choose to use the window light source, you'd have to make it dim enough that it won't interfere with the light from cauldron.

You don't have to do all the details in the backgrounds right away. Just a simple color wash, and maybe really general details and forms, but nothing specific. That would be enough to create an atmosphere you can work with.

Ohh. Ok, that's a relief. I didn't wanted to do the window light for that reason and also because it's too complicated for nothing. As for the colors, I guess i'll have to look into it. I don't use a monitor, just the regular macbook air screen with optimised settings as told in class. For the background, I should have guessed XD Bad habit of mine to do everything at the same time. Thanks again for the tips :P

Edit: I think I found out why the colors are "grayer". I tried to upload the jpeg on my personal dumping ground/archive and the colors were just right. So, I guess it's the forums that somehow lowered the quality or altered it to make it fit here. That's all I can think of right now.

At 6/5/15 05:55 PM, miliade wrote:

Ohh. Ok, that's a relief. I didn't wanted to do the window light for that reason and also because it's too complicated for nothing. As for the colors, I guess i'll have to look into it. I don't use a monitor, just the regular macbook air screen with optimised settings as told in class. For the background, I should have guessed XD Bad habit of mine to do everything at the same time. Thanks again for the tips :P

I haven't played too much with the color profiles on my computer, but I find the LCD one works fine for Macbooks. Most likely because the System Preferences Monitor setting says the color profile is Color LCD.

In general, you'll want to do details for anything last because it's a more efficient workflow. If you do them last, you can fix mistakes earlier more easily, and you save yourself the trouble of adding details to parts that don't require them.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-06 04:11:07

The linework.

The finished product posted though.

Good Luck everyone! ^_^

Hi guys

here are just some quick Sonic concept sketches i was doing before i started my entry.

and some more here http://dnots.newgrounds.com/

Response to June 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-06-06 12:27:37

work in progress for my background still got my characters to begin (the writing is a hint) but i like it so far