00:00
00:00

MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion

5,202 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ladies and gents! This here's your friendly neighborhood Music Inspired Art Contest, first annual at your service! For years now (2013, 2014) @Realfaction has run the super neat Art Inspired Music Contest over in the audio portal.

To participate (articipate? sorry), find a song in the audio portal and make a work of art using that song as inspiration. Post the artwork by midnight EST on June 1st. Pieces will be judged on skill level and on how well they reflect your chosen song. Traditional and digital stuff welcome.

Judges will be encouraged to see if they can match songs to the correct artwork without knowing which songs served as inspiration for which artwork. Judges: Myself, @Realfaction @Legolass, @TurkeyOnAStick, @Cairos, and @Ornery.

Feel free to use this thread for discussions, to share WIPs and ask for critiques.

Prizes!

Best piece:
-First choice of one of a pair of ukuleles hand painted by either @Ornery or myself
-Download code for one of Realfaction's albums. Check out his Bandcamp here!
-A Supporter upgrade
-Penicorn

Second Place:
-Second choice of one of a pair of ukuleles hand painted by either @Ornery or myself
-Download code for one of Realfaction's albums. Check out his Bandcamp here!
-Supporter upgrade
-Penicorn

Most Experimental:
-Supporter upgrade
-Penicorn

Best Coloring:
-Penicorn
-a pack of Lisa Frank fake tattoos

There may also be SurPrizes WHO KNOWS.

International users, depending on the price of shipping I may have trouble getting you your prizes. In that unlikely event I will do my best to find you equivalent prizes but please know I don't forsee it being a huge problem.

Rules!
You must use music from the audio portal. No picking your own music, you multitalented bastards. You may submit as many entries as you like, but only one prize will be allotted per user. You must submit your pieces to the portal as well as the submission thread here in the art forum. Please tag your piece with AIM2015. Please link to your chosen song.
Thanks, and have fun!

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-05 16:13:34

At 5/5/15 04:04 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Ladies and gents...

Not gonna lie, this is pretty neat :) it warms my heart knowing I inspired you and all you mods are gettin together to make this awesome contest. Hey, check out the Newgrounds Tribute Video on the front page if you're curious on the contest I'm running at the moment (N.I.M.). Thanks for this opportunity, it's a tribute to a creation I made, something fun for the community, and I guess I never imagined something else could spawn from it, being inspired from it in such a way as this!

It makes me feel honored because I'm familiar with you guys and I like your work :) I feel I've really been growing on NG and heck, my reputation is more than I thought it was I guess! :D you guys rock, and I can't wait to see the beautiful artwork that people submit. Good luck guys! ^__^

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-05 16:33:10

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-06 00:46:00

At 5/5/15 04:04 PM, lovingthedark wrote: -Penicorn

My brother stole my last Penicorn, so this is a spot of luck. I need a replacement. And it's not like you can buy them anymore. That's some vintage horsedick.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-06 23:45:27

So what's the etiquette here? Should we let the musician know we're using there work beforehand, afterword, I take it we don't tell you guys if you're going to try to match them.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-07 00:15:35

At 5/6/15 11:45 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: So what's the etiquette here? Should we let the musician know we're using there work beforehand, afterword, I take it we don't tell you guys if you're going to try to match them.

I'd shoot them a pm after, personally, but I don't think it matters much. Please tell us the song when you submit the piece, as we'll need that and it might as well be public. I'll take care of giving the other judges a list of music used and art pieces- i don't think they'll remember which went with which offhand anyway.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-11 18:11:56

At 5/5/15 04:04 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Best Coloring:
-a pack of Lisa Frank fake tattoos

Damn, gotta get me some of those! It's a shame they're only temporary.

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-11 20:12:32

Oh shit, just saw this thread. I'll have to see if I can't come up with something for this. :)

Really neat reverse-idea! I dig it. :D

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-13 11:55:03

As a little bit of incentive to get you guys to participate.

Just think. You could win one of these fabulous penicorns. Maybe even the one that I got extra intimate with :3

not even a little sorry for the nightmares I'll be causing.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-13 12:58:13

At 5/13/15 11:55 AM, ornery wrote:

Wwwwwwhhhhhyyyyyyyy

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-13 13:39:55

At 5/13/15 12:58 PM, Malachy wrote:
Wwwwwwhhhhhyyyyyyyy

Because you know you want to draw something for this contest and win one of these JUICY penicorns, and some other cool swag. Right now with such a low turnout the odds are in anyones favor.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-13 22:06:56

At 5/13/15 01:39 PM, ornery wrote:
At 5/13/15 12:58 PM, Malachy wrote:
Wwwwwwhhhhhyyyyyyyy
Because you know you want to draw something for this contest and win one of these JUICY penicorns, and some other cool swag. Right now with such a low turnout the odds are in anyones favor.

dude if I win by making art based on dirty beatbox I demand the most soiled penicorn you have

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-17 15:58:31

At 5/13/15 10:06 PM, Malachy wrote: dude if I win by making art based on dirty beatbox I demand the most soiled penicorn you have

We'll soil one for you extra special.

At 5/13/15 11:55 AM, ornery wrote: As a little bit of incentive to get you guys to participate.

Just think. You could win one of these fabulous penicorns. Maybe even the one that I got extra intimate with :3

What the fuck man... I used to get my gf a unicorn plush for every special occasion.

I wanted to buy one of these for the girlfriend so badly but by the time i thought about it..... and (everytime i checked after) they were sold out.

now i know why.

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-23 02:01:40

At 5/22/15 11:57 PM, Raab wrote:
now i know why.

can't imagine.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-23 02:49:08

At 5/23/15 02:01 AM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 5/22/15 11:57 PM, Raab wrote:
now i know why.
can't imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5sDXYJ7nQ

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-25 21:24:51

FIVE DAYS LEFT and only two submissions so far, get on this ladies and gents! At this point just entering will get you a prize.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-25 21:26:27

At 5/25/15 09:24 PM, lovingthedark wrote: FIVE DAYS LEFT and only two submissions so far, get on this ladies and gents! At this point just entering will get you a prize.

You could always extend the time. I'm surprised this hasn't received more entries.

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-25 23:32:25

At 5/25/15 09:24 PM, lovingthedark wrote: FIVE DAYS LEFT and only two submissions so far, get on this ladies and gents! At this point just entering will get you a prize.

I'll do something for this cause I really want that penicorn. An ukulele would be nice also, but I'm still looking for a song :/

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-27 00:07:25

I really want those Lisa frank tattoos, I'll try and whip something up.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 12:32:23

Great jobs, guys! Still not as much participation as I'd like to see, so I'm extending the contest deadline to midnight EST June 7th. Users that have already submitted entries that would like to take advantage of the additional time are welcome to: we'll judge whatever the most recent version of your entry is. Also, here's a pre-paint photo of the ukuleles we'll be offering

yeah i haven't finished either

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 12:39:32

At 5/30/15 12:32 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Great jobs, guys! Still not as much participation as I'd like to see, so I'm extending the contest deadline to midnight EST June 7th. Users that have already submitted entries that would like to take advantage of the additional time are welcome to: we'll judge whatever the most recent version of your entry is. Also, here's a pre-paint photo of the ukuleles we'll be offering

yeah i haven't finished either

Yes! I've always wanted to participate in this but the deadline was so close to an end. Hopefully I can find the right inspirational music in time though ;rq

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 13:15:43

At 5/30/15 12:32 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Still not as much participation as I'd like to see, so I'm extending the contest deadline to midnight EST June 7th.

Oh, nice. Now I can take my time cleaning up this mess I've made. WIP:

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 14:09:30

Sweet, you made a contest about me, thanks guys!

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 17:05:40

At 5/30/15 12:32 PM, lovingthedark wrote: I'm extending the contest deadline to midnight EST June 7th.

Yay, now I should be able to finish on time

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 17:08:29

Finally find a song that I like to make a pic out of :D

Sketch wip so far

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-30 23:33:36

At 5/30/15 12:32 PM, lovingthedark wrote: yeah i haven't finished either

Bloody hell, that's this whole competition in a nutshell.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-05-31 18:07:27

At 5/30/15 05:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Finally find a song that I like to make a pic out of :D

Sketch wip so far

I gotta remember to practice hands again.

BBS Signature

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-07-05 09:25:20

Any ETA on this being wrapped up? Don't keep us in suspense, here. "Us" being a token attempt to make this not look like a personal inquiry.

Response to MIA Contest: Intro and Discussion 2015-07-05 09:56:16

At 7/5/15 09:25 AM, Lintire wrote: Any ETA on this being wrapped up? Don't keep us in suspense, here. "Us" being a token attempt to make this not look like a personal inquiry.

I had also wondered.

BBS Signature