Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-03 04:12:39
Welcome to the Newgrounds inspired Music Contest (NIM Contest)! If you're a musician who wants to take part in a contest honoring Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary, and want to win some prizes, you've come to the right place! Also, below is some entertainment!
This is the submission thread, the discussion thread is located here:
Firstly, before ANYTHING else, a lot of people and I worked hard on the NIM announcement video, which is also a tribute video to celebrate Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary! I just want to thank @VicariousE @Piper @SubliminalVirus @ToxicGeek @Radaketor @BloodOverDust @TomFulp @RagnaRokia @Bad-Man-Incorporated @JinnDEvil and my friend Morgan for the awesome work they did on this video with me! Thanks to @ForgottenDawn for letting me use his music! Thanks to everyone for their support with this video project, and the contest!
Watch the video here:
The artwork was made by @JinnDEvil, which you can see here (I'll link to his upload when he uploads it):
I made the song in the intro, which you can listen to here:
In honor of Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary, this contest is replacing the usual Art-Inspired Music Contest I hold every year. This time, your music submissions can be inspired by nearly ANYTHING on newgrounds (anything T rated or below, nothing 18+ for example).
There is also a "game" theme (but we're accepting all music styles). Watching the NG Tribute Video linked at the top will help, as I carefully designed an overworld map with JinnDEvil.
- Stage (Level) Music: This category is for songs that make you sound like your moving through a level. You would make up a name for your song like it's a name of a level in a game, such as "Far Off Valley" or "Industrial City".
- Boss Music: This category is for songs that make you feel like you're fighting a big enemy like a boss in a game, who is trying to kill you! You can make up any title really if you want, not every boss theme has their own name in it. It can even be about us!
- Bonus Round Music:This category is for songs that are more wacky and fun, make you feel like you're playing a minigame stage in a game, back when games had those.
- Game Over Music: This category is for music that could sound either seriously depressing, or wacky and light-hearted. As long as it has the feel of a game over song, it's good. This actually has to be short, ranging from 10 seconds, to 1 minute.
- Good/Bad Ending Music: This category is for songs that indicate you have won a game, or beaten the game with a horrible ending. Some games have multiple endings, a good one, and a bad one.
If a good ending, it has to make you feel good and accomplished, something joyous. If a bad ending, it doesn't have to crush your soul with tear jerking music (*cough* Donkey Kong 64) like some game over screens, but it CAN if you want it to!
- Menu Music: This category is for music that sounds like you're in a menu screen of a game. This could range from something jazzy, something atmospheric as you're thinking about life, something dark, it could be anything! Use your gamer knowledge to see what appeals to you!
- Title Music This category is for music that sounds like you're at the title screen of the game before you press the Start button. This could be anything. It's similar to menu music, but a thing on it's own. Use your gamer judgement!
Judging Notes: @JohnnyUtah @Samination @Phyrnna @MindChamber we are going to be judging the contest submissions as it goes along so we're not piled with work at the end. I recommend taking 30 minutes or so per week (it could be divided into a day or more) to review the submissions. Mark your favorites, then at the end, we will compile a list of our favorite entries per category and average them out. Send me your lists after July 12th, keep track! You guys rock!
1st Place: A trophy plush toy designed by BloodOverDust, free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, a pair of NEW Phyrnna designer headphones, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!
2nd Place: Free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!
3rd Place: Free keys to NG developer Steam games, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!
Runner-Ups: At least 30 songs of the runner-ups will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)
PS: As a bonus, there will also be forum sigs as prizes for the top 3 winners.
1): When you submit your song, say in the song description what thing on Newgrounds inspired the song (such as a character, an art piece, animation, etc.). If it's something specific like an art piece or animation or such, place a link in the description as well. Be sure to check your links to make sure they're the right thing and that they work properly.
2): There can NOT be ANY copyrighted samples in your song (Newgrounds rules, read up on those. Samples like from music programs such as FL Studio are ok to use). This means no remixes. However, you CAN do covers of Newgrounds songs (let's hear some remakes of some classics!). As long as you don't sample from the songs, you're good.
3): You can submit up to 3 songs this year, whether they be in the same category, or different ones.
4): Submit your songs before the official deadline: July 12th, 2014 at 12:00 A.M. EST to this thread, post the link to it here.
This year, I gave everyone extra time to work on music. :)
5): Collabs are allowed. You can have a singer or a small group of people work with you (including a band), but they HAVE to make a Newgrounds account so you can add them to the project. Read up on how the project system works here or if you have questions, ask in the Discussion Thread.
6): If you're unsure of ANYTHING not listed in the rules, feel free to ask us questions in the discussion thread linked at the top of this thread. Only submit songs here, no discussion.
7): You MUST submit your song here on Newgrounds (must have a Newgrounds account) to this thread.
8): If you're wondering about how long you can make your song, look at the Categories section above. The length varies depending on which category you enter your song in.
Let the games begin! 2 months to go! Good luck!