00:00
00:00

Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest!

15,227 Views | 134 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Welcome to the Newgrounds inspired Music Contest (NIM Contest)! If you're a musician who wants to take part in a contest honoring Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary, and want to win some prizes, you've come to the right place! Also, below is some entertainment!

This is the submission thread, the discussion thread is located here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1390485

Firstly, before ANYTHING else, a lot of people and I worked hard on the NIM announcement video, which is also a tribute video to celebrate Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary! I just want to thank @VicariousE @Piper @SubliminalVirus @ToxicGeek @Radaketor @BloodOverDust @TomFulp @RagnaRokia @Bad-Man-Incorporated @JinnDEvil and my friend Morgan for the awesome work they did on this video with me! Thanks to @ForgottenDawn for letting me use his music! Thanks to everyone for their support with this video project, and the contest!

Watch the video here:

The artwork was made by @JinnDEvil, which you can see here (I'll link to his upload when he uploads it):
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bf8126ca5c23e8b614e406c9539946b8

I made the song in the intro, which you can listen to here:

How It Works:

In honor of Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary, this contest is replacing the usual Art-Inspired Music Contest I hold every year. This time, your music submissions can be inspired by nearly ANYTHING on newgrounds (anything T rated or below, nothing 18+ for example).

There is also a "game" theme (but we're accepting all music styles). Watching the NG Tribute Video linked at the top will help, as I carefully designed an overworld map with JinnDEvil.

Categories:
- Stage (Level) Music: This category is for songs that make you sound like your moving through a level. You would make up a name for your song like it's a name of a level in a game, such as "Far Off Valley" or "Industrial City".

- Boss Music: This category is for songs that make you feel like you're fighting a big enemy like a boss in a game, who is trying to kill you! You can make up any title really if you want, not every boss theme has their own name in it. It can even be about us!

- Bonus Round Music:This category is for songs that are more wacky and fun, make you feel like you're playing a minigame stage in a game, back when games had those.

- Game Over Music: This category is for music that could sound either seriously depressing, or wacky and light-hearted. As long as it has the feel of a game over song, it's good. This actually has to be short, ranging from 10 seconds, to 1 minute.

- Good/Bad Ending Music: This category is for songs that indicate you have won a game, or beaten the game with a horrible ending. Some games have multiple endings, a good one, and a bad one.

If a good ending, it has to make you feel good and accomplished, something joyous. If a bad ending, it doesn't have to crush your soul with tear jerking music (*cough* Donkey Kong 64) like some game over screens, but it CAN if you want it to!

- Menu Music: This category is for music that sounds like you're in a menu screen of a game. This could range from something jazzy, something atmospheric as you're thinking about life, something dark, it could be anything! Use your gamer knowledge to see what appeals to you!

- Title Music This category is for music that sounds like you're at the title screen of the game before you press the Start button. This could be anything. It's similar to menu music, but a thing on it's own. Use your gamer judgement!

Judging this special contest in honor of Newgrounds' 20th Anniversary are some NG veterans, such as:
JohnnyUtah
Samination
Phyrnna
MindChamber
RealFaction (me)

Judging Notes: @JohnnyUtah @Samination @Phyrnna @MindChamber we are going to be judging the contest submissions as it goes along so we're not piled with work at the end. I recommend taking 30 minutes or so per week (it could be divided into a day or more) to review the submissions. Mark your favorites, then at the end, we will compile a list of our favorite entries per category and average them out. Send me your lists after July 12th, keep track! You guys rock!

Prizes:
1st Place:
A trophy plush toy designed by BloodOverDust, free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, a pair of NEW Phyrnna designer headphones, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!

2nd Place: Free keys to NG developer Steam games, a shirt I still have from the NG store I am willing to give away, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!

3rd Place: Free keys to NG developer Steam games, an 8-bit victory tune made by me, and your song will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)!

Runner-Ups: At least 30 songs of the runner-ups will end up on the N.I.M. compilation album (available to download free after the contest winners are announced in July)

PS: As a bonus, there will also be forum sigs as prizes for the top 3 winners.

Rules:

1): When you submit your song, say in the song description what thing on Newgrounds inspired the song (such as a character, an art piece, animation, etc.). If it's something specific like an art piece or animation or such, place a link in the description as well. Be sure to check your links to make sure they're the right thing and that they work properly.

2): There can NOT be ANY copyrighted samples in your song (Newgrounds rules, read up on those. Samples like from music programs such as FL Studio are ok to use). This means no remixes. However, you CAN do covers of Newgrounds songs (let's hear some remakes of some classics!). As long as you don't sample from the songs, you're good.

3): You can submit up to 3 songs this year, whether they be in the same category, or different ones.

4): Submit your songs before the official deadline: July 12th, 2014 at 12:00 A.M. EST to this thread, post the link to it here.
This year, I gave everyone extra time to work on music. :)

5): Collabs are allowed. You can have a singer or a small group of people work with you (including a band), but they HAVE to make a Newgrounds account so you can add them to the project. Read up on how the project system works here or if you have questions, ask in the Discussion Thread.

6): If you're unsure of ANYTHING not listed in the rules, feel free to ask us questions in the discussion thread linked at the top of this thread. Only submit songs here, no discussion.

7): You MUST submit your song here on Newgrounds (must have a Newgrounds account) to this thread.

8): If you're wondering about how long you can make your song, look at the Categories section above. The length varies depending on which category you enter your song in.

Let the games begin! 2 months to go! Good luck!

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

First post WOOO!
I'm really excited too because this is my first contest :D
The Category for this song is Bad Game Ending Theme
Hope you all enjoy!

I'll do a quick cover at some point, not sure how or when. But @matt-likes-swords and @Phyrnna might like this. (Sorry, only now realised that this is the submissions thread. Will not post here until I have my track.)

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-03 14:59:11

IMPORTANT NOTE: To avoid confusion, the Boss Theme category doesn't have to be about the judges (since we are like bosses in this "game"), just what boss music would sound like. But you DO have that option to make it about us and inspired by us if you wish.

(Thanks for the heads up guys, wasn't sure if that would confuse people.)

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-03 22:07:56

What category? Level Music

(If you're confused on why I've already posted another song, it's because I made all of my songs for this contest the day the contest was announced.)

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE:
I mentioned it in the announcement news post which some of it was overlooked, but it's important you read all of the rules. You must not submit music you started on before the contest started (May 3rd). Take your time with the music, no rush. :)

PS: The "only one cover" rule does not apply anymore, you can submit more than one cover, though we do want more original songs, but hearing some covers of old songs from Newgrounds would be awesome too.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-04 16:23:44

Hey guys! here's the art by JinnDEvil i said I'd link. He did a fine job :) Also, I'm considering making this into a game if a good programmer wants to help us, and maybe an extra artist.

BBS Signature

Very excited for this. Here's my submission.

It's in the "Good/Bad Ending Music" category.

We are all prodigies. We just have to realize our potential, then make it our purpose.

This is also my first time participating in a NG contest.

SPIFFY SPACEMAN (my first submission)

I hope you all enjoy this piece, I've always been a Calvin & Hobbes fan, and this was inspired by danomano65's Calvin & Hobbes animation. This is probably best suited toward the "Title" category.

More submissions to come!
WM34

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-09 12:19:14

Category: Stage music
My inspiration comes from the contest itself, and the judges' sprite really inspired me too!! :D

Are orchestral entries allowed, or should they be techno-styled?

At 5/9/15 10:35 PM, Clueboe wrote: Are orchestral entries allowed, or should they be techno-styled?

Please read everything. 1. Says to only post other stuff that isn't submissions in discussion thread (like questions). Basically, you can't post stuff here unless its a submission. 2. Also above it says we're accepting all music styles (but no remixes). Reread everything and it will answer that.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-10 12:08:37

Here´s a small something I did for for N.I.M.
The entry goes for level music inspired by Super Chibi Knight...

Have fun ;)

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-10 14:01:37

Stage music inspired by Alien Hominid (just got me thinking to do a space stage kind of track)

N G U A C 2018 Submission

"TORQUE"

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/818144

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-10 19:19:42

At 5/10/15 02:01 PM, SmokeAvery wrote: Stage music inspired by Alien Hominid (just got me thinking to do a space stage kind of track)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/623773

****Updated****
Stage music inspired by Alien Hominid (just got me thinking to do a space stage kind of track)

N G U A C 2018 Submission

"TORQUE"

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/818144

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-10 20:02:01

Here's my entry for this contest:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/623823
It doesn't really specify as any of the video game genres that were suggested, but I assume it's okay because you said any type music was accepted. I hope you like it! I was inspired to become a better composer because of Newgrounds

happy birthday

Yo!
Here's my 2nd submission for the NIM Contest. It's "Flashback", and it's inspired by all the older, classic stuff here on NG that takes you back to when you first enjoyed it.

I feel that this is best suited for the Stage/Level music category.

Check it: FLASHBACK

Hope y'all like it.
WM34

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-11 23:01:45

Hey, gals n dudes!

This is my 3rd entry for the NIM Contest. It's called "Lab Work", and it's inspired by Battle Block Theater. I think I spent a little too much time creating levels in that game, but man it was fun. You can search for WM34 or my gamertag Watermusic34 in Battle Block Theater if you want to check out some levels I created...

...ANYWAY, here it is:

LAB WORK

Hope it's good to your ears,
WM34

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-14 20:20:11

Here's my first submission for the contest:

Category: Stage (Level) Music
Inspiration is rtil's "Metropolis Circuit" animation.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/624368?updated=1

Category: Stage Music, would also be used for a miniboss.
Inspiration: Cactus McCoy

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-15 21:11:42

Hello my fellow Newgrounders.
Here is my participation on the contest:

Inspiration : ( in case the title doesn't give a clue :p ) All those awesome stickman fight animations on NG.
Category : Stage music. I imagine this song in a stage on a space station (or maybe a spaceship) where you have to battle against wave after wave of stickmen using some cool moves.

BBS Signature

First entry to the contest. Inspired by multiple action/ platformer games. I'm not very experienced with electronic music and synths yet though but I think the composition is great!

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-17 21:38:53

My first entry, "Journey to Newgrounds," is a cover of a personal favorite of mine: the 'Newgrounds Rumble' version of Endless Handbag.

A stage theme, possibly for a pre-boss fortress.

Here's some title music. It's inspired by Bitey of Brackenwood, that little scamp.
I thought it would be cool to create a kind of nature-y, Pikmin vibe. Hope you enjoy. :)

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-20 21:31:04

Response to Newgrounds Inspired Music Contest! 2015-05-20 22:12:43

Here's my entry for the contest:

I managed to edit the publication finally:

Category: Title Music
Inspiration: Alien Hominid and some other classic games from NG