00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!!

9,228 Views | 170 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-04-30 22:18:06

@Step: Have sent you the bassline.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-04-30 22:22:09

At 4/30/15 03:05 PM, Ceevro wrote: Ok, and if there's no one doing percussion by the weekend, I can always add-in my brand of faux-percussives. We should have the bass line by the end of the day, or so Max, a bassist I know, has told me. Due to the nature of the instrument, he'll have to plug-in, but he says it'll be totally raw feed, no FX whatsoever.

I have an acoustic bass. All the strings need replaced like crazy, though.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-04-30 22:36:57

I have an acoustic bass. All the strings need replaced like crazy, though.

Yeah, I want to buy an acoustic bass...but there are other things I have to spend money on first, sadly. Maybe you can get it up and running for the next one, eh?

I recorded a bit of simple auxiliary percussion in the corner of a room today (quietest place I could find). I recorded a tambourine track, but it's not a proper rhythm tambourine and turned out poorly, so I removed it. There's an egg shaker as well as a cowbell and woodblock (threw them into the solo section for the hell of it). I had to Frankenstein the shaker track a bit due to some background noise and sloppy technique, hopefully it doesn't cause any issue. The tracks should be lined up to the most recent WiP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qnvf2c76ml3tjl/Summer%20of%2069%20Aux%20Perc.zip?dl=0

I still need to record some other stuff in the next few days, so I can redo any of these tracks as necessary.

Added the new stuff! We have a bass guitar, shaker, woodblock and I'm proud to say that the song also has 100% moar cowbell. Courtesy of @Darkmetroidomega!

Mixing basslines is probably my second weakest area, after mixing vocals, so if it's too overwhelming or not loud enough, let me know!

At 4/30/15 05:32 PM, Ceevro wrote: I'm thinking maybe some Clapton or Queen next...lots of dynamics to be had there!

You know, I was thinking maybe I'm A Believer would be a good song to do next. Sections like 0:40 will sound amazing with lots of singers, and 1:32 can be extended to make room for solos.

I really like Queen and Clapton (Layla would be an awesome song to try too!), so either way I'm happy, but I feel like I'm A Believer would definitely be a lot of fun.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 09:57:14

This is sounding nearly complete...I will record and send you my "forever no..." tonight. I might also send you a faux-kick to round out the percs (love the percs, BTW...we definitely needed more cowbell). I am finding the bass just a little quiet in the mix when listening on computer speakers. When I get that in my own recordings, I find that boosting the treble on the EQ can usually bring the overtones in a bit more...just an idea.

I'm not really all that familiar with "I'm a Believer," but I'm not averse to the song per se. Maybe we could consider "Mr. Jones," by Counting Crows? I'm also still really drawn to "First Day Of Spring," by The Gandharvas.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 11:17:06

OK, the bassist has a NG account, but doesn't use it much...his handle here is @TehDaftA55n

@Step, I'll put together the Audio Project, and we should have a wrap after I fix my "yeah," and maybe add just a tiny bit more percs.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 11:19:43

At 5/1/15 11:17 AM, Ceevro wrote: OK, the bassist has a NG account, but doesn't use it much...his handle here is @TehDaftA55n

I think I've posted one thing on here just to have it saved somewhere, haha

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 11:27:32

At 5/1/15 08:05 AM, Step wrote:
Mixing basslines is probably my second weakest area, after mixing vocals, so if it's too overwhelming or not loud enough, let me know!

On the individual track, If you raise the mid a couple notches, and a bit more bass, it'll come through and blend better. Mids are the secret to getting a bassline to mix well.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 11:42:41

I'll play around with the settings on the bass! I was a bit hesitant to increase any mids/highs more than I'd already did because it made the white noise interference in the background of the audio a bit more noticeable. However, I can denoise it and try some more EQing. Coming right up on the next WiP.

At 5/1/15 09:57 AM, Ceevro wrote: I'm not really all that familiar with "I'm a Believer," but I'm not averse to the song per se. Maybe we could consider "Mr. Jones," by Counting Crows? I'm also still really drawn to "First Day Of Spring," by The Gandharvas.

Hmm... Good songs but I can't picture them in my head working out as well with a lot of voices. I dunno, maybe it's just me!

At 5/1/15 11:17 AM, Ceevro wrote: OK, the bassist has a NG account, but doesn't use it much...his handle here is @TehDaftA55n

@Step, I'll put together the Audio Project, and we should have a wrap after I fix my "yeah," and maybe add just a tiny bit more percs.

Oh, think we can wait longer? I've got a minimum of three more vocals on their way on my end haha. Not sure how long they'll all take, but I think that at least two of them should be finished by today or tomorrow.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 11:53:30

Oh, think we can wait longer? I've got a minimum of three more vocals on their way on my end haha. Not sure how long they'll all take, but I think that at least two of them should be finished by today or tomorrow.

Well, we're sounding damn good already, but more voices are always good. Howsabout we set a deadline of Sunday at noon, then? That way, we'd have it ready for Monday, and I could start laying down the starter tracks for the next piece, whatever we decide on. My guitar finger is getting itchy!

At 5/1/15 11:53 AM, Ceevro wrote: Well, we're sounding damn good already, but more voices are always good. Howsabout we set a deadline of Sunday at noon, then? That way, we'd have it ready for Monday, and I could start laying down the starter tracks for the next piece, whatever we decide on. My guitar finger is getting itchy!

One of the singers I'm in contact with may not be able to make it for Sunday, I'm afraid! I'll ask her when's the earliest she can get a recording for us, and then we'll see if it fits our schedule. Does that sound good?

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 12:13:54

One of the singers I'm in contact with may not be able to make it for Sunday, I'm afraid! I'll ask her when's the earliest she can get a recording for us, and then we'll see if it fits our schedule. Does that sound good?

Sounds fine...but if I can't record on the weekend, it delays the next one by a week! We got FANS, man! FANS! We can't keep 'em waiting forever!

At 5/1/15 12:13 PM, Ceevro wrote:

Sounds fine...but if I can't record on the weekend, it delays the next one by a week! We got FANS, man! FANS! We can't keep 'em waiting forever!

You could still record what you need for the next one before releasing this one, though ;P

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 12:41:31

You could still record what you need for the next one before releasing this one, though ;P

Yeah, could do that too. I'm just really excited, because this thing is turning out so incredibly well. I could see this turning into an ongoing project. Honestly, with the quality we're producing here, we might have a shot at actually making a marketable product! But we gotta keep delivering the quality jams regularly. Getting the name out, and producing quality music at regular intervals is the only sure-fire way to build an audience, and a pre-built audience is the only sure-fire way to make anything happen in the music biz. It'll take time and effort, but the way we're doing it now, that time an effort is shouldered by many people, making for light work on everyone. Except @Step *cracks whip*.

In the meantime...just thought that a great song to do next would be "I'm the One Who Wants To Be With You" by X-treme. Great singalong tune, that! And it would give @Metalrenard a chance to really push his vocals...

At 5/1/15 12:41 PM, Ceevro wrote:
Yeah, could do that too.

I wouldn't be at all against that! If the singer isn't able to get it done by this weekend, I think it would be worth laying down the recordings for the next one and holding back submitting Summer of 69 for now (after all, we gave Mrs. Robinson more time than just a week and we had people sending us stuff until the very end). Take it from me, this singer is very talented. Would definitely be worth having her in there too!

In the meantime...just thought that a great song to do next would be "I'm the One Who Wants To Be With You" by X-treme. Great singalong tune, that! And it would give @Metalrenard a chance to really push his vocals...

Ooh, good call! That could work really well. I think that both I'm The One Who Wants To Be With You and I'm A Believer would be splendid choices.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 20:14:14

Getting blindsided by life this week. Haven't been able to record ANYTHING for any project.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 21:25:54

At 5/1/15 08:14 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Getting blindsided by life this week. Haven't been able to record ANYTHING for any project.

And then I said screw you and recorded some mandolin and sent it to nearlyinvulnerable email.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-01 22:25:11

At 5/1/15 09:25 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 5/1/15 08:14 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Getting blindsided by life this week. Haven't been able to record ANYTHING for any project.
And then I said screw you and recorded some mandolin and sent it to nearlyinvulnerable email.

Awesome! Will send it on to Step!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 00:49:51

At 5/1/15 12:41 PM, Ceevro wrote: In the meantime...just thought that a great song to do next would be "I'm the One Who Wants To Be With You" by X-treme. Great singalong tune, that! And it would give @Metalrenard a chance to really push his vocals...

I will check out that song but I have a humble request - I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks on Thursday. Don't start the next one without me please. <3

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 00:59:10

Well, I'm going to record something on Sunday, hopefully. I hope you can join in before you go!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 04:43:55

Threw together another version with Ceevro's guitar case and "FOREVER, NO!" in the chorus. I also turned up the mids and a bit of the highs of the bass, and turned its volume up a tad. Let me know if I got it right. I gotta scram to piano lesson right now so I'll add the mandolin when I get back!

Also, feast your ears on the singalong's first ever blooper.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 10:16:28

And HERE is the latest version with @Rahmemhotep's awesome mandolin added! I also went through all the vocals and did another round of syncing. If there's any syllable that still sounds out of sync, then let me know!

I think there's definitely room for more instruments and vocals, so to whoever expressed interest but hasn't done anything yet, feel free to send more stuff our way!
@RobSoundtrack @Neon-Bard @TroisNyx @LiquidOoze @ColectedGamer @ComicLoverGirlNo1 @stunkel @Darrenkerwin

I'm itching to add more colours to this project file.

Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 12:05:53

At 5/2/15 10:16 AM, Step wrote: And HERE is the latest version with @Rahmemhotep's awesome mandolin added! I also went through all the vocals and did another round of syncing. If there's any syllable that still sounds out of sync, then let me know!

I think there's definitely room for more instruments and vocals, so to whoever expressed interest but hasn't done anything yet, feel free to send more stuff our way!
@RobSoundtrack @Neon-Bard @TroisNyx @LiquidOoze @ColectedGamer @ComicLoverGirlNo1 @stunkel @Darrenkerwin

Hey man...Rahmememhotep's mandolin is a little out-of-tune...could you toss a bit of auto-tune on it? It wouldn't need to be heavy, but it would get rid of the couple spots where I think he's unconsciously bending the strings (he's still a might bit better on the mandolin than I am). Also, his strumming should be left in during the solo bit...suddenly feels empty without!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 15:29:49

At 5/2/15 12:05 PM, Ceevro wrote: Hey man...Rahmememhotep's mandolin is a little out-of-tune...could you toss a bit of auto-tune on it? It wouldn't need to be heavy, but it would get rid of the couple spots where I think he's unconsciously bending the strings (he's still a might bit better on the mandolin than I am). Also, his strumming should be left in during the solo bit...suddenly feels empty without!

I'm afraid software tuning won't work on a mandolin! My tuning software only recognises one voice, so it gets totally confused during the strums. I tried slicing it up a bit and keeping the strums that were more in-tune. How does this sound?

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 16:41:50

Don't forget the panning @step. :)

Can we have a more realistic schedule, rather than doing a new one every week or something, could we do maybe one a month? As a teacher I work crazy hours plus like I said, I'm off to Japan soon and I doubt I'll be able to record more vocals before I go. It's that or I'll have to miss a few and I'd rather not miss any.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 17:01:58

At 5/2/15 04:41 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Don't forget the panning @step. :)

Can we have a more realistic schedule, rather than doing a new one every week or something, could we do maybe one a month? As a teacher I work crazy hours plus like I said, I'm off to Japan soon and I doubt I'll be able to record more vocals before I go. It's that or I'll have to miss a few and I'd rather not miss any.

Well, I'd really like you along for as many as we can have you on, but if you miss a couple, that's kinda the nature of the beast, I'm afraid! We're all artists, right? We play when the mood takes us! Don't worry, if you think that your schedule is crazy, I work in law enforcement, as well as as a salesperson, as well as as a painter, and I play gigs on top of it...we get 'er done when we got a few spare minutes!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-02 20:09:19

At 5/2/15 10:16 AM, Step wrote: I think there's definitely room for more instruments and vocals, so to whoever expressed interest but hasn't done anything yet, feel free to send more stuff our way!

I'm going to have to pass on this sing-along, I made an attempt at recording the chorus and it turns out my voice just isn't Bryan Adams material. For shame. :'(

However, I am really looking forward to the finished track. The WIP that was posted several days ago was shaping up nicely! :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

At 5/2/15 12:05 PM, Ceevro wrote:
At 5/2/15 10:16 AM, Step wrote: And HERE is the latest version with @Rahmemhotep's awesome mandolin added! I also went through all the vocals and did another round of syncing. If there's any syllable that still sounds out of sync, then let me know!

Hey man...Rahmememhotep's mandolin is a little out-of-tune...could you toss a bit of auto-tune on it? It wouldn't need to be heavy, but it would get rid of the couple spots where I think he's unconsciously bending the strings (he's still a might bit better on the mandolin than I am). Also, his strumming should be left in during the solo bit...suddenly feels empty without!

It was the G course. Trust me, though, this mandolin goes out of tune all the time. In fact, I cut two strings off due to them going out of tune so much (so it's a six string :P). Ordered a new one, but... Well you can read about that in the Audio Forum Lounge.

I might be able to rerecord the rhythm sections this upcoming week.

EDIT: I actually just listened to Step's recording and something electronic must be happening to make it sound THAT out of tune. :\

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #2!!! 2015-05-03 03:53:15

At 5/2/15 04:41 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Don't forget the panning @step. :)

Yup, same as last time! I'll do it at the end. Was Mrs. Robinson's panning alright, or was it too heavy?

At 5/2/15 08:09 PM, Neon-Bard wrote: I'm going to have to pass on this sing-along, I made an attempt at recording the chorus and it turns out my voice just isn't Bryan Adams material. For shame. :'(

However, I am really looking forward to the finished track. The WIP that was posted several days ago was shaping up nicely! :)

Aw alright!

At 5/2/15 09:19 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: EDIT: I actually just listened to Step's recording and something electronic must be happening to make it sound THAT out of tune. :\

Oh crap. That's my fault, you're right. Just realised I was using the wrong file. I tried tuning it at the start but my tuning software got confused and made it worse, and I just realised I forgot to revert it back to the old file. I'm a dumbass.

How's this?

BBS Signature