New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 05:45:28 Reply

Just a quick bump up on the thread. Wondering if anyone was still interested in hearing more since last week? @MetalRenard @DavidOrr @sorohanro

Audio Services Website:JabunAudio // PATREON
"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 05:53:29 Reply

At 4/10/15 05:45 AM, Jabun wrote: Just a quick bump up on the thread. Wondering if anyone was still interested in hearing more since last week? @MetalRenard @DavidOrr @sorohanro

Definitely. Actually I'll PM you about a project.

Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 06:48:42 Reply

At 4/10/15 05:53 AM, sorohanro wrote:
At 4/10/15 05:45 AM, Jabun wrote: Just a quick bump up on the thread. Wondering if anyone was still interested in hearing more since last week? @MetalRenard @DavidOrr @sorohanro
Definitely. Actually I'll PM you about a project.

Awesome! Looking forward to it :D

"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 11:38:20 Reply

Yes, sending you a PM now. Thanks for the reminder -- got sidetracked over holiday weekend!

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 12:06:10 Reply

At 4/10/15 11:38 AM, DavidOrr wrote: Yes, sending you a PM now. Thanks for the reminder -- got sidetracked over holiday weekend!

Haha! No worries, Hope the festivities were good :D I'll try to get to your message this weekend. See you in the PMs!

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-10 12:19:42 Reply

I'm actually away on holiday in Malta hence my lack of replies in general on the forum.
What would be really useful is an A/B where A and B are both at the same volume. That way I could really hear what it is you're doing. Louder always sounds more pleasing to the ear (until it begins getting distorted) so your demos didn't actually show me much.

Sorry about that. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician

At 4/10/15 12:19 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I'm actually away on holiday in Malta hence my lack of replies in general on the forum.
What would be really useful is an A/B where A and B are both at the same volume. That way I could really hear what it is you're doing. Louder always sounds more pleasing to the ear (until it begins getting distorted) so your demos didn't actually show me much.

No worries. Hope you have a fun time in Malta :D

Aha yes, this had crossed my mind before. You're right, louder generally does sound better (up to a certain point), it's much easier to hear the differences once tracks are level matched. The other demos were literally the input mix vs output master (Basically displaying the exact work I was doing), but I can prepare you some ~level matched demos if you'd like.

Obviously I can't turn up the pre-masters much more without clipping so what I'll do is reduce all the final masters by a fixed dB (probably 6 or 9), and make up the gain of the pre-masters against a clean limiter if need be so they read more similar RMS values. The premasters generally have 6 dB of headroom anyway, so they probably won't even touch the limiter this way, or at least you shouldn't be able to heard the limiting effects. It should give a clearer indication of the tonal and internal dynamics adjustments I'm making.

Weekends can be busy, so I'll try to get the level matched demos up here at some point next week. Thanks for your patience.

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-13 13:00:33 Reply

At 4/10/15 12:19 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I'm actually away on holiday in Malta hence my lack of replies in general on the forum.

Hi again @MetalRenard. I've made a level matched mastering demo for you. I didn't split it up this time, so it's effectively all the reels in one:

• MasteringDemoLevelMatchedEdit
    MasteringDemoLevelMatchedEdit by Jabun

A level matched edit of my 2015 Mastering Reels

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

As described in the previous post, I turned all the final masters down by 6dB, then made adjustments to the volumes of all the pre-masters against a clean limiter so that the pre-master and master read similar RMS. Some of the difference are very subtle when level matched (mainly referring the acoustic demo there), though of course there's the difference in volume for the final product and the evening out across the album which is being done. The track description should provide you with more info if you need it, or feel free to ask me if you need to know anything else.

Hope the new demo helps, and hope you're having a good time in Malta too. Take care.

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-16 19:53:42 Reply

So, for the people unsure of the seriousness and reliability of services, here:
One happy client, me. This guy works pretty fast and with good results, flexible and communicative with clients, offering your files in several formats for different purposes.
After the cover artwork will be ready, the jazz mini album mastered by @jabun will be available on Bandcamp.

Cheers man, good job :)

Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-17 05:13:25 Reply

At 4/16/15 07:53 PM, sorohanro wrote: So, for the people unsure of the seriousness and reliability of services, here:
One happy client, me. This guy works pretty fast and with good results, flexible and communicative with clients, offering your files in several formats for different purposes.
After the cover artwork will be ready, the jazz mini album mastered by @jabun will be available on Bandcamp.

Cheers man, good job :)

Many thanks for the praise, @sorohanro. I look forward to the release and working with you again in the future :3 Great tunes!

Cheers again :D

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-04-27 09:03:31 Reply

Just a bump up post. Anyone interested in some audio mastering?

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-05-05 09:56:13 Reply

Thanks so much for the feedback from everyone over the past few weeks (mostly in PMs). There were a few questions which came up a lot in messages and some other things which I think should be clarified so I'll try to cover them all here:

Pricing, philosophy and discounts:
The price I gave earlier for mastering a track was $50/£35. This is subject to change depending on demand and exchange rates, or whether you want a turbo fast turnaround, but for the most part I'm trying to keep it low to make it affordable for anyone regardless of their background. There is already a huge divide between those who can and can't afford the often crazy prices that chart toppers pay to get their tracks mastered, and I'd like to make sure everyone can afford to get experience working with a mastering engineer without having to pay $200+ for a single track. I'm also trying to sway people away from being tempted by cheaper "Instant Mastering" services as for the most part, I think they're perpetuating a low sound quality of music in the industry. You wouldn't ask a machine to write your song, so it seems strange that many people will pay for a machine to make the final decisions on how a track will sound before it goes into the world. When working with a human mastering engineer, you'll have the chance to discuss changes, and have a chance to express what you'd like to get out of the mastering session. I know many people won't take me seriously because of the low prices, but that's their loss. I don't want to discriminate against people who are still new to the industry, and want to give people the chance I think many people want but can't currently afford with the current average prices of music mastering.

Onto pricing discounts for shorter tracks. I quoted $50 based on a 5 minute track length. Since mastering is mainly to improve the overall sound quality of the music, most of the work I do is independent of the overall track length and so requires the same amount of work and time for each track. The last little bit of work is time dependent which is to make sure that the track sounds the best it can at all points and check the tracks for errors on export. This can take a shorter amount of time for short tracks, or much longer for long tracks. For this reason I wouldn't charge only $30 for a 3 minute track for instance. The pricing comes down mostly to common sense, but roughly, I'd be happy to do anything less than 2:30 minutes for only $40. Tracks above 6:30 I'd probably charge $60 for. These are just estimates, but for the most part I'll stick to the $50 per track price. I'll give an individual assessment on each track's pricing when I'm given it to master :3

Multiple track discounts: I'm definitely grateful for the larger amount of work you're providing if you'd like to get multiple tracks mastered at once, so I'll start considering discounts on multiple track when I receive 5+ tracks to master at once. Since the amount of work is mainly dependent on the number of tracks, the discount given will be dependent on the total length of all tracks to be mastered. For example: If I receive 5 tracks with a total length of just over 25 minutes I'll likely only give a small discount of $25 (effectively the last track at half price). If however the total length is only just over 20 minutes, I'd be happy doing giving the last track for free. Discounts will be assessed on an individual basis when I receive the tracks to master :3 Multiple track discounts are geared towards multiple track releases such as EPs and Albums. To bring out the best in lots of Singles, requires more thought as I have to assess each track individually thinking "What's the best overall sound for this track" multiple times, rather than "What's the best overall sound for this album" (assuming you want the tracks in your album to sound consistent XD).

What mastering can and can't do:
There's been some confusion as to what mastering can and can't do for your music, so here's a little disclaimer: Mastering is not a magical fix-all service for your music, and I while I aim to make a track sound the best it can, this is very much dependent on the mix I receive. I will always aim to make it sound better, but if I receive a bad mix/performance, I'll only be able to make a mediocre master. I will however be able to make a good mix/performance into a great master. I'll always remain neutral on a performance level, though I will let you know if there are any issues in the mix that I think will prevent me from creating a great master.

If you aren't mostly happy with the way your mix sounds before you send it to me, there's nothing I can do which will fix that for you. Think of mastering as developing a photograph (and apologies if the analogy has some inconsistency with actually developing photographs XD). I can't change what's in the photograph, where people are, whether they're wearing hats, what the background looks like, etc... because the picture has already been taken. What I will do is make sure the overall colours look right, it's not too bright or dark, and crop it to remove any unwanted or unnecessary parts, then format it for the frame you want to hang it in. That is essentially what I do as a mastering engineer. (No smart answers about Photoshop XD)

I hope that clarifies some things, and please let me know your feedback and comments. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them :3

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2015-05-26 08:24:43 Reply

Just a quick call in. I've gathered all the essential information about my mastering services on my website, including:

What is mastering?
Why hire an engineer?
My philosophy
Pricing
How I work
Demo-reels
Recent mastering releases

You can access all the information here: http://jabunaudio.weebly.com/mastering.html for your convenience. Many thanks and take care.

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician

Hello again Newgrounds!

It's been over 2 years since I last posted in this thread and what a heck of a 2 years it's been! Long story short, things have been going rather well for me in terms of music production and other things, and after a big relocation and some delays, I've finally set up a new studio to make music and offer audio services again, especially mastering! To celebrate the new studio opening, I've put together an additional demo reel of some of my own music since the last demo reels which you can check out below.

In each pair of clips, the first is the final mix given to me before mastering, and the second is the final master as I delivered. In each of these cases I was also the, composer, recording and mix engineer and producer, so this serves as a demo reel for those services too. By popular demand since the last set of demo reels, each pair of clips has been approximately level matched to more clearly show the differences between the final mix and masters (apart from volume). In reality, the masters (which were turned down for this demo) work out to usually be a few dB louder than the final mix, though I always aim to make dynamic, clean and punchy masters which will encourage people to turn up the music, rather than turn it down!

• Mastering Demo Reel 2017
    Mastering Demo Reel 2017 by Jabun

An additional demo reel for my music mastering services at JabunAudio (2017 update)

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

Feel free to check out the tracklist for the demo reel on the main audio portal page.

Essentially not much has changed in how I operate the service in the last 2 years (The system works!), though due to ever changing exchange rate, I'm now currently charging ~$50/£40 per track. For more information on my music mastering service please read through this thread, and if there's anything you'd still like to ask feel free to leave a reply here and I'll aim to help you as soon as I can.

Anyways, many thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the latest demo reel, and if you find yourself to be interested in working with me then don't hesitate to send me a message here on NG. I look forward to working with you to get your music sounding the way it should be heard.

BBS Signature
etelik
etelik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2017-07-03 17:55:30 Reply

At 7/3/17 01:19 PM, Jabun wrote: Hello again Newgrounds!

I hope you don't do your masters in that bamboo room that is seen on your facebook page.

Soundcloud --- Portfolio --- Want a review? --- Don't hesitate to ask for feedback, or a quick Mix/Master.

Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2017-07-04 07:02:05 Reply

At 7/3/17 05:55 PM, etelik wrote:
At 7/3/17 01:19 PM, Jabun wrote: Hello again Newgrounds!
I hope you don't do your masters in that bamboo room that is seen on your facebook page.

@etelik Hehe, how so? Jokes aside though and being completely transparent here, yes that was my home studio room from mid November 2016 to mid May 2017, and yes many masters, as well as mixes and lots of animation audio post work were done in that room (including the electronic music in the demo reel above). Before that I had a 3 month period where I didn't have access to a purposely set-up studio and was working mainly in headphones, and before that when I was first starting out from around summer 2012 - May 2016, my home studio was also my bedroom, while I worked in a couple of more established studios in my (at the time) local area as well as London. As they say "you've got to start somewhere".

My current studio room is in a converted loft space and is a fair bit larger than the bamboo room pictured on my Facebook page, as well as being more symmetric on the left/right. There's less bamboo as I don't have as strict rules while renting this space as in the last so many of the acoustic times are hung directly on the walls instead. The bamboo does have it's advantages in that you can move tiles around with ease if need be, and while quirky, I like the aesthetic.

Aesthetics aside though, I can assure you that both rooms mentioned above have been appropriately acoustically treated and calibrated to ensure a flat frequency response and an appropriate quality of ambiance (ie: barely audible, no flutter echos, but not 100% dead like a vocal booth).

But enough room discussion for the moment, none of this means anything without HEARING results, so please, close your eyes, have a listen to the demo reel(s) and decide for yourself whether the work you hear is bringing out the best in the music. Many thanks for your comment and feel free to ask anymore questions you might have.

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2018-05-02 09:27:09 Reply

Wow! Almost another year has gone by since my last post on this thread, and I figured it was time to write a couple of updates.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new mastering demo reel for 2018 which should be up in a week or so. Also, an update to pricing. Due to the changing exchange rates and that I'm based in the UK, I've reset my prices to a fixed £50 per track (up to 10 minute tracks). You can find more info on my website (link in the signature). I've also started a new discussion thread here (https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1431805) to thank NG for the support over the years and try to share some of the stuff I've learned doing this by launching a monthly email newsletter. Hope to hear from you here or on the other thread and I look forward to seeing how I can help. Cheers!

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Mastering Engineer for hire! 2018-05-16 05:45:58 Reply

Just posting up the latest mastering demo reel. Same drill as usual: for each pair of clips, the first is the final mix given to me before mastering, and the second is the final master as I delivered. Each pair of clips has been approximately level matched (by turning the original mix up against a generic limiter) to more clearly show the differences between the final mix and masters (apart from volume). This reel is entirely of cover songs hence why I couldn't upload it to NG but I thought I'd share it here nonetheless:

https://soundcloud.com/jabun/mastering-demo-reel-2018

Hope you enjoy it, and let me know if you have any thoughts :)

BBS Signature
Jabun
Jabun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician

Hi Everyone!

Following from one my previous posts, I'm happy to announce that I've just launched the JabunAudio monthly music production newsletter (That thing this thread is all about)!

You can sign up on the front page of the JabunAudio website to receive music and audio production tips sent straight to your inbox in the first week of each month. You'll also get my free PDF article "10 Essential Things To Do Before You Send Your Music For Mastering and WHY" when you sign up.

I know there are tonnes of articles for learning music production out there already so I’ll only be sharing advice and tips which have helped me personally and I’ve not seen anywhere else. Topics will focus on mastering, my favourite genres of ska punk & pop punk, as well as advice that can be applied to all styles and the occasional tangent.

I hope you enjoy reading, and I look forward to sharing more audio production advice with you at the start of July! Cheers, and as per usual, let me know if you have any questions :)

BBS Signature