00:00
00:00

Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread

1,293 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-20 04:32:29

Yay, let's jump on the music thread bandwagon.

Hello folks, I used to be this guy. Then something happened and now he's dead, but the real story is for another time and place.

I have been composing tracks for almost 6 years now from those humble beginnings right here on Newgrounds, but Forgotten Dawn is still a toddler and I tend to consider the project as an evolution of my past deeds. I don't usually label my music under genres and put my tracks into boxes, but for convenience's sake, I suppose I would fall under Cinematic/Hybrid, Ambient and Experimental music, sometimes also Drum and Bass. Anything with an atmosphere and an atmosphere that can go with something, let's put it like that.

I also compose soundtracks for video games, being something between a casual and hardcore gamer as well as an amateur game designer, and I am currently involved in multiple projects whose details I can't share until they're released. I have a couple of soundtracks out if you're interested in sharing (Tears of the Machine: Prologue and Fade EP) and various other channels where you can also find my music (namely Youtube, Soundcloud and Bandcamp again).

I recently jumped into the world of assets for game/software development and I have been kind of testing the waters in a couple of marketplaces where all sorts of stuff that can be useful during development are bought and sold, like the Unity Asset Store and other newborn markets like Union Assets and Vae Victis. I personally consider my products there as some sort of prototype and I do have plans to expand my roster of audio products and indeed offer a lot more than what I currently have.

There are a lot of irons in the fire right now and I hope to keep expanding and improving Forgotten Dawn not only as a music platform but as a multimedia project encompassing audio, games and possibly visual arts. My dream is to connect people through my works and give them something to reflect themselves upon, to spark their imagination and fuel their creativity. Creative and thinking minds working together for self-discovery, introspection and self-analysis.

My influences are so many I would take years to write them all here and I wouldn't do enough justice either. Probably the ones that influenced me the most have been Yoko Kanno, video game/anime/film soundtracks, Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Two Steps From Hell, Hans Zimmer, Aphex Twin, NIN, Metallica, Alva Noto, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and the list would go on for miles.

Well then, TL;DR, here's some stuff.

Possibly my most known track:

One of my three Harmony of Heroes entries:

From my latest work "Sixteen", here's some ambiance:

And the track that started it all:

-
Comments, reviews, questions, feedback of any kind are all welcome.

Just keep it tidy and no one will get hurt- jk, it's Newgrounds.

Cheers
//FD

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-20 08:06:35

I've been a follower of yours for a while, mainly for your cinematic hybrid style tracks. You have a really good grasp of expressing emotion in those pieces, it's lovely and fulfilling to listen to.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-20 09:40:11

At 2/20/15 08:06 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I've been a follower of yours for a while, mainly for your cinematic hybrid style tracks. You have a really good grasp of expressing emotion in those pieces, it's lovely and fulfilling to listen to.

I agree, wholeheartedly. Very interesting style; I always look forward to a Forgotten Dawn track! :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-20 10:47:25

You've put out pretty great stuff... dunno why I haven't followed you yet but I just recitified that! :D

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-20 12:02:38

At 2/20/15 08:06 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I've been a follower of yours for a while, mainly for your cinematic hybrid style tracks. You have a really good grasp of expressing emotion in those pieces, it's lovely and fulfilling to listen to.

Oh, thank you sir! It really means a lot to hear such words.

My Moontears trilogy is still one of my most personal achievements in terms of emotion, and it should be noted that the piano lines as well as anything else have been composed pixel by pixel, note after note, automation clip after automation clip.

Yeah, I'm a studio animal, I pretty much suck at playing any instrument live, but I still have an electric guitar and bass. Need to practice again...

At 2/20/15 09:40 AM, Neon-Bard wrote: I agree, wholeheartedly. Very interesting style; I always look forward to a Forgotten Dawn track! :)

Glad you're interested! I will definitely post more WIP stuff here once I'll have a chance again. Like... perhaps the next EP? hint hint :)

At 2/20/15 10:25 AM, dem0lecule wrote: There was a time, I was wondering where did kkslider60 go and turn out you were his level-up reincarnation.

Your album Sixteen is one of my favorite collections in my iPod. Great work.

Haha, I'm sure there are still people wondering about KK :D
Funny thing is that whoever knew me in that era still call me KK in real life to this day.

Glad you're enjoying Sixteen! It's been really fun to compose it.

At 2/20/15 10:47 AM, Phyrnna wrote: You've put out pretty great stuff... dunno why I haven't followed you yet but I just recitified that! :D

Many thanks for your support!

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-21 17:47:28

I have been having some ideas regarding the next EP, and it's probably going to be another concept release.

In terms of style, what I have been composing so far sounds like a continuation of Sixteen mixed with a cleaner Ambient sound.

Speaking of ambiance, here's an oldie that might prepare you for a possible preview.

BBS Signature

Hey folks, got some news regarding my next release.

It will be entitled "phi" and it's already in the works, featuring a style similar to Sixteen but slightly cleaner and more Ambient, as I mentioned above. It will likely be a concept EP, but I won't spoil the fun for you.

I will post a preview track in these days so you can get a small taste of what the EP will sound like. :)

Meanwhile, feel free to enjoy an old textural track from 2013, also serving as an inspiration bed for phi.

Stay tuned...
//FD

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-02-28 10:49:17

And there it is! As I promised a while back, here's a short preview of my upcoming work "phi".

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 09:40:12

Hey guys and gals, let's have some fun here! Haven't posted here since the 28th, I apologize for that. :c

I got a question for you all:

Who would be interested in collabing with me sometime?

I think it would be a funny learning experience as a preparation for the next major contests here on NG, so go ahead and cast your suggestions!

Also what would you like to hear more from Forgotten Dawn? Any suggestions, comments, feedback? Don't be shy! Your input is very important as a mean to improve upon what has already been built. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 11:14:16

At 3/5/15 09:40 AM, ForgottenDawn wrote: I got a question for you all:

I would. Since I have sworn off the NGADM, I'm open for collaborating. Not sure what we'd do though -- we've gotta talk about how our styles may blend.

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 13:15:08

At 3/5/15 11:14 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 3/5/15 09:40 AM, ForgottenDawn wrote: I got a question for you all:

I would. Since I have sworn off the NGADM, I'm open for collaborating. Not sure what we'd do though -- we've gotta talk about how our styles may blend.

Yeah, well, I usually start with a texture or ambiance to kinda get a feeling of what can be built on it. Like, what would your main musical traits be? Are your songs/tracks usually melodic or more textural?

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 13:28:12

At 3/5/15 01:15 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Yeah, well, I usually start with a texture or ambiance to kinda get a feeling of what can be built on it. Like, what would your main musical traits be? Are your songs/tracks usually melodic or more textural?

Both. I take a very Enya-ish look and feel to many of my tracks. Yes, while I emphasise on singable, memorable melodies, I layer my vocals a lot. Also, I tend to combine soundfonts and other VSTs with the instruments I have -- and I thoroughly enjoy that. ^_^

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 13:37:29

At 3/5/15 01:28 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 3/5/15 01:15 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Yeah, well, I usually start with a texture or ambiance to kinda get a feeling of what can be built on it. Like, what would your main musical traits be? Are your songs/tracks usually melodic or more textural?
Both. I take a very Enya-ish look and feel to many of my tracks. Yes, while I emphasise on singable, memorable melodies, I layer my vocals a lot. Also, I tend to combine soundfonts and other VSTs with the instruments I have -- and I thoroughly enjoy that. ^_^

I see, we could probably try something even more dreamy and textural, I'm thinking of something along the lines of Mirror's Edge and Ghost in the Shell if you're familiar with those kind of atmospheres. Like, perhaps if you could record some very distant wails so that they can be processed a bit (maybe stretched too) and layered together it would bring a very ethereal atmosphere. Just brainstorming of course, possibilities are endless.

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 13:42:19

At 3/5/15 01:37 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: I see, we could probably try something even more dreamy and textural, I'm thinking of something along the lines of Mirror's Edge and Ghost in the Shell if you're familiar with those kind of atmospheres. Like, perhaps if you could record some very distant wails so that they can be processed a bit (maybe stretched too) and layered together it would bring a very ethereal atmosphere. Just brainstorming of course, possibilities are endless.

Are we on Skype yet? I like this idea a lot. Mind you, it's only now that my mixing has improved; I can't say I can nail the finer points of panning walls.

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 14:42:53

At 3/5/15 01:42 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Are we on Skype yet? I like this idea a lot. Mind you, it's only now that my mixing has improved; I can't say I can nail the finer points of panning walls.

Yeah I'm on Skype, we should have already shared our contacts actually. Glad you like the idea, see you there then. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 14:55:42

Oh hi there! I didnt even know that you were KK Slider - i remember that name! Cool tracks btw - just right now i am listening again to Nu Dead Cell. Very energetic :D Welcome to the forum music thread bandwagon!

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 14:57:33

At 3/5/15 02:55 PM, SoundChris wrote: Oh hi there! I didnt even know that you were KK Slider - i remember that name! Cool tracks btw - just right now i am listening again to Nu Dead Cell. Very energetic :D Welcome to the forum music thread bandwagon!

Oh hey, thanks! Yeah I was that guy, lol. Eons ago. I hope you enjoy the rest of my works and thanks for the welcoming!

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-05 17:06:27

At 3/5/15 02:42 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
At 3/5/15 01:42 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Are we on Skype yet? I like this idea a lot. Mind you, it's only now that my mixing has improved; I can't say I can nail the finer points of panning walls.
Yeah I'm on Skype, we should have already shared our contacts actually. Glad you like the idea, see you there then. :)

Sorry about my absence; choir practice. If you're online, I should be there shortly.

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-06 14:50:50

At 3/5/15 05:06 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Sorry about my absence; choir practice. If you're online, I should be there shortly.

I got the structure done, needs some tweaks here and there of course but it's surely something! Hit me up on Skype whenever available so I can send over what I got.

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-06 15:48:53

At 3/6/15 02:50 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: I got the structure done, needs some tweaks here and there of course but it's surely something! Hit me up on Skype whenever available so I can send over what I got.

Will do in an hour or so; dinnertime.

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-06 20:16:02

At 3/6/15 03:48 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Will do in an hour or so; dinnertime.

No rush, take all the time you need.

Also what's that, 100 followers? Awww man... you guys, thank you so much! :')

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-03-11 12:57:52

Man, it's been almost a week already since the last reply? Time flies...

Just a little update: the collab track is still in progress, I'm alive and incredibly busy, and will likely update this thread again once there's something more substantial to show to you good internet people.

So far so good, and phi is also being in the works along many other things I will reveal in due time. ;)

Meanwhile, I'd like to give a shout-out to a track that gave me a good chunk of inspiration during the time I worked on Sixteen, by Kingbastard. It's a pretty old track, nonetheless still one of my favorite Newgrounds tunes even after so long. Enjoy the good vibes!

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-04-05 05:15:40

I apologize for the lack of activity in this thread, I have been extraordinarily busy in the past few weeks.

I am passing by to wish you all a happy Easter and to inform everyone that progress is still being made for the upcoming EP, and that there will be a couple of extra projects coming out during spring.

Stay tuned, folks!
//FD

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2015-04-10 17:29:37

In vein of what I just wrote in my profile - which I strongly advise you to read, I give you the first experimental loop of Project Hyperion.

Hopefully the first of a long series, it will keep me busy enough studying different sounds, atmospheres and more experimental styles.

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2019-07-23 11:15:35

Hoo boy.

It feels strange writing a long comeback post after 4 years of utter disregard for what's supposed to be my own super duper special portfolio thread. I don't even have any particular reason for it; it just occurred that way. Life happened. Things happened. Granted, I can't possibly imagine to sum up four whole years of activity in a single post, nor it is my intention to really do so. Four years is a lot of time and many things have changed since my last post dated April 2015. I simply figured this thread would still give some of you the opportunity to quickly get into the loop of things and have a renewed glimpse of my own process.

So, what now?

I'm going to try updating this thread every now and again with new publications about releases and what-not. As I said earlier, I can't recap four entire years without inevitably leaving some other details out of the picture. You may view this thread as an "I'm still alive" kind of post, not really meant to cover everything that's ever happened during these recent years. I will simply post a bunch of highlights on a per-year basis for quick referencing and ensure I fit everything within 8,000 charac-

2016 — The Year of Collabs and Stuff

It was a fun year for collaboration, surely a breath of fresh air from 2015's explosion of short experiments and creative unraveling. The Underground Collective was born, something I still help co-direct on occasion, which allowed me to meet many interesting personalities lurking across the audio portal. Development of .defrag started this year, too. Spoiler alert: still in development. It was also the year I decided to actively share a few sample tracks from my own soundtracks on Newgrounds for the first time, allowing NG folks to check out that side of me and keep them up to date with whatever'd been keeping me up at night.

2017 — The Great HDD Crash

Sophomore year in terms of output. I was knee deep in my studies on top of soundtrack making, so production was very slow as a result. Then my hard drive crashed later that year and I lost GB worth of data, including over 3.4 GB of old, unreleased material from my pre-FD years. Thanks, Seagate. The Underground Collective released m0lecular — soundwaves in liberty as a tribute to @I0TA, a collaborative project I actively took part in and helped directing. On the socials side, a Discord server was made while I was cooking up a new way to organize my own content. As a result, a second Bandcamp debuted to distinguish my personal discography to the soundtrack and VGM-related portfolio, along with the decision to plan and produce entire series (plural) of personal albums, each with their own themes and peculiarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKIJRr9B1l4

2018 — Full Albums and Redesign

New year, new design. I revamped my logo and began taking care of my brand identity. New updates to my licensing terms for track usage also occurred during the first half of 2018. I helped directing Volume II by The Underground Collective, this time without directly participating as a musician. I also introduced the "sample OST" format that would come in handy for particularly long term commissioned works, enabling me to publicly share a taster pack of a sort for what's to come.

2019 — YouTube Shenanigans

And here we are in 2019. The year I decided to pick up where I left and seriously investing my time establishing a network of contacts through my YouTube channel while also uploading new content more consistently than ever before. It's still a work-in-progress, though the contacts I've made have certainly been fruitful and it's been a year of interesting epiphanies and discoveries. It's been the year of serialization for me, e.g. starting from an idea and working out several iterations of it, embracing mediatic shapeshifting as a way to explore possibilities and constant renewal/rebirth. I've also been working on my Patreon page after revamping its identity and copy text, now more in line with my current line of thought for the project as a whole. New singles might come out later this year. Oh, commissions have also been a thing lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7p07F0zrs

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2019-08-15 08:47:46

Totally forgot about this thread again. Whoops.

Anyway, new single. Wheee~

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2019-08-17 13:25:28

Another thing I forgot to mention last time was the existence of a playlist I made a while back, in case anyone needs it. It features 1-hour lo-fi ambiance videos I release on a monthly, sometimes bi-weekly basis. Downloads are available in each description box. They can be great if you need to put something in the background while doing stuff.

I produce these ambiances primarily for myself, as I deem them powerful enough to have soothing properties on me whenever I feel the stresses of society closing in. It started as an experiment back in 2017 under a friend's suggestion. People seemed to like it, so I made more. It is now a fairly established series in my growing repertoire.

Alright, have fun. There's also a dedicated subreddit, for the curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/forgottendawn

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxtTtU-sH8qEEdP5-TLHIygVAY9K7IRuL

BBS Signature

Response to Forgotten Dawn - Music Thread 2019-11-04 16:21:05

I just keep forgetting about this thread, don't I.

Here's the "new" single from a month ago, everyone lmao

BBS Signature