00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Twine Games & Throwback Thursday

9,684 Views | 26 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Be sure to participate in the Halloween Spooktacular, costume contest, Jazza's zombify art contest and/or our Pumpkin Carving contest this month! If you carve a pumpkin, base it on a character you've seen on Newgrounds and take pictures. I'll be posting an official Pumpkin Carving thread later this month.

Did you know you can upload your Twine interactive stories to Newgrounds? Pack them in a ZIP with an index.html in the root of the ZIP and upload them via our game upload form. Halloween is a great time to make SCARY story-driven games and you could compete in our Halloween Spooktacular. You can even make money from ads if you enable rev sharing under your account options! If you have any problems setting up your game, don't hesitate to PM me.

This article about Twine sums up one of the greatest things about Twine - it is introducing people to game development and introducing us to lots of fresh voices. That sort of thing is awesome.

JaShinYa hosts the Indie Games Riot Podcast, a show dedicated to free games, many from right here on NG! They have an IndieGoGo campaign to raise money for equipment and website development. Check out the podcast and chip in if you'd like to support it!

Today is Throwback Thursday and everything in these lists is from this week in NG history.

For Throwback Thursday highlights, follow us on Facebook, Tumblr and/or Twitter.

One thing I noticed while making the games list (first reply in this thread): Edmund McMillen releases some great games this time of year.

Movies

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

More Movies

Games

What were your favorites from these lists? Discover any new favorites?

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 11:46:24

So it's that day of the week again! More Sokol Pie is a definite; recent favorite from that list, despite the misleadingly clowny title. Apart from the most recent ones I don't recall more than Blockhead! Dad's Home! S.I.N.! That short term memory.

Twine looks like an inspiring way to craft, good knowing about; definitely going to give it a try later on.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 11:53:05

At 10/9/14 11:46 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: So it's that day of the week again! More Sokol Pie is a definite; recent favorite from that list, despite the misleadingly clowny title. Apart from the most recent ones I don't recall more than Blockhead! Dad's Home! S.I.N.! That short term memory.

Twine looks like an inspiring way to craft, good knowing about; definitely going to give it a try later on.

If you aren't familiar with Villainy, it's a series worth checking out:

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 12:17:34

At 10/9/14 12:09 PM, WahyaRanger wrote: This Twine tool seems really pretty interesting, I might have to try playing with it.

Tom, have we ever considered making a separate section for comics, or works like these Twine stories?

I've always been fine with comics in the Art Portal but I wanted to have a Comic category and I dunno what happened there... Maybe that should just be added now! They don't really fit the other categories and it would be cool to just browse comics. Also along the lines of a gallery / collection for art, I wanted a way for artists to organize their comics so you could go to a hub for an individual comic and go Next / Prev with them. That would let people point fans to a dedicate page to browse a specific comic.

For Twine games... Right now I'm cool with them just appear alongside all the other games. If we had a MASSIVE influx of Twine games I could see some users complaining about all the text games... We could just wait and see if that ever actually happens. Maybe we should have a Text Adventure genre though, since right now Adventure - Point and Click is probably the closest match. At the same time, they aren't all adventure... So maybe it shouldn't be a subset of adventure at all... Some completely new root genre could be in order.

Interactive Story (is story accurate?)
Interactive Fiction (what if it's not fiction)
Interactive Narrative

Thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 12:20:49

Twine looks like a wonderful tool. I'm excited to try it out.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 12:25:44

Really glad to see There's a Man in the Woods hit NG, especially with the front page all decked out for it

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 13:34:18

At 10/9/14 11:53 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you aren't familiar with Villainy, it's a series worth checking out:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/580789

Hah, thanks for that recommendation! :D Pure genius.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 13:38:21

I've been using Twine for an image based adult game off and on when time permits since early this year. Moving into Beta now. It's absolutely amazing what someone like me without programming or flash skills can create with this app. Anyways while most options are selected with text and dialogue, the game is visual with still images and a handful of short animation loops here and there.

At 10/9/14 10:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: What were your favorites from these lists?

Legend of JOHNNY is one of my all-times favorites!

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 14:08:21

I already have a Twine game on here.

It's pretty short and weird though.

...is it me or has politics suddenly become a series of mandatory lightning rounds in a mandatory game show?

Wow, the halloween background is spectacular. Really creepy! And zephyo made this? Awesome. Twine sounds really cool. I often mess about writing little scripts which I open in my browser, so it might just be the perfect tool for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 16:18:48

Cool, I figured it would be possible to post Twine games, but I hadn't actually tried it yet!

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 16:59:48

I cant believe Stu-Boy & Piv-Boy was released over a year ago

pee pee poo poo

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 17:09:07

> twine

LMAO NOT EVEN ONCE

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 17:44:48

I see you still go along with paid medals. That is, Newgrounds medals that can only be earned by paying them money.

Reminds me why I moved on...

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 18:40:25

At 10/9/14 06:05 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 10/9/14 05:09 PM, TheMajormel wrote: > twine

LMAO NOT EVEN ONCE
Twine "games"

dude twine games are masterpieces way better than that shit you call ng rumble or meat boy

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 19:14:26

Marvin Spectrum is the shit! Have you 100% beaten it @TomFulp?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-09 20:04:28

I have quite a few stories that never made it past storyboard,and even more that never made it past script..this twine app might just be the trick to release some of those stories that would never see the light of day otherwise..

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 08:00:30

Thanks for sharing this games and movies list. I like very much and enjoy with us.

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 09:34:33

At 10/9/14 05:44 PM, Phenom9 wrote: I see you still go along with paid medals. That is, Newgrounds medals that can only be earned by paying them money.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/550315
Reminds me why I moved on...

We don't sanction that sort of behavior, it is something the developer put in their game and Newgrounds doesn't profit at all from it. When you see that sort of thing you can notify us directly about the particular medal.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 09:37:12

At 10/9/14 07:14 PM, ZJ wrote: Marvin Spectrum is the shit! Have you 100% beaten it @TomFulp?

I don't think I ever got all the way through MS.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 09:37:53

At 10/9/14 08:04 PM, MindChamber wrote: I have quite a few stories that never made it past storyboard,and even more that never made it past script..this twine app might just be the trick to release some of those stories that would never see the light of day otherwise..

You could get some cool art out that way, too. Would be interesting to see artists from the Art Portal team up with writers on some games.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 09:43:17

At 10/9/14 06:40 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: dude twine games are masterpieces way better than that shit you call ng rumble or meat boy

It IS frustrating that NG created a platform for ANYONE to share their games and instead of being celebrated by the press we were largely ignored for 15 years / only covered for controversial content. Would have been nice to see some articles about how empowering NG was, because it WAS empowering and the first thing of its kind in all of history. Still, not gonna punish Twine games for that.

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-10 14:22:55

At 10/9/14 04:59 PM, ThePivotsXXD wrote: I cant believe Stu-Boy & Piv-Boy was released over a year ago

Go away with your dumb stu-boy!

Also, first.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-11 11:26:29

Twine looks good. Will be fun to use it and see what happens.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Twine Games & Throwback Thursday 2014-10-11 16:09:56

twine is shit

twine is shovelware

why would you delete my forum sig i barely even fucking use this shitty website anymore you sneaky cunt idiot

BBS Signature