00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mcd410 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Costume Contest, Site Design, FF!

19,689 Views | 99 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 12:02:07

At 10/4/14 04:38 AM, Damien wrote: I've had an idea for a new design for a while. I think it's pretty original, if I say so myself.

Sadly this would probably be the most effective, it's working with patterns the majority of society expects to find.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 12:05:33

At 10/4/14 07:34 AM, test-object wrote: Tom, do consider making it less cramped by getting rid of the black banner bg.

Damn that does have some really good potential... I had been starting to give in to the idea of keeping a visual bar between the header and nav but this would solve that nicely.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 12:09:08

At 10/4/14 09:12 AM, Psychopath wrote: I honestly don't get what's wrong with the textures but whatever, if it's meant for the phone design then I can see where it would serve the purposes of faster loading on mobile. Are these plans to alter the color palette meant to achieve the express purpose of lowering the load time for the site or are there more reasons beyond that?

Besides flat colors loading faster than textures, the ultimate goal is to reprogram the html / css to be much more simple, so that changes to the site are easier to implement. We also really want to get back to making the content the focus, each NG redesign has progressively become more visual and we are competing with the content for attention.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 12:47:37

At 10/4/14 12:38 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 10/4/14 07:34 AM, test-object wrote: Tom, do consider making it less cramped by getting rid of the black banner bg.
The problem with having no bar is, once you scrolled it would be useless. You really need to have the bar floating at the top of the screen.

Having to scroll up to access anything like the search or account things is annoying!

Which is why you simply pack as much content on top of the pages as possible without it looking too busy.
I prefer the fixed bar a great deal. Always felt having it scroll along was a very cheap and dirty solution.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 12:52:07

I like this idea quite a lot.

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 13:50:03

I'm okay with the concepts.

Just make sure we can always find the old assets somewhere on these internetses.

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 15:50:11

I support this!!

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 15:53:18

Here's the mock up I slapped together like a month ago, follows the same idea.

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 15:56:47

At 10/4/14 12:56 PM, Zachary wrote: How would a fixed bar work though without having a background on it?

I mean fixed, as in, not scrolling along.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 16:05:53

Important: subtle, bold, simple, flat, smooth, attention drawn to the content, classic ng feel (original design)

Not important: flashyness, advertisers :)

ʜɒɿɿi

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 16:32:32

Continuing on a flat take on the existing layout, does anyone actually read the rollover description on thumbnails? The only info I ever look at is the rating. What if there was no rollover info (which is preferred on mobile) and the rating was visible like the top row in this image:

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 16:44:55

At 10/4/14 04:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Continuing on a flat take on the existing layout, does anyone actually read the rollover description on thumbnails? The only info I ever look at is the rating. What if there was no rollover info (which is preferred on mobile) and the rating was visible like the top row in this image:

I do read the short blurb, on every single thumbnail I have a passing interest in.

BBS Signature

At 10/4/14 04:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Continuing on a flat take on the existing layout, does anyone actually read the rollover description on thumbnails? The only info I ever look at is the rating. What if there was no rollover info (which is preferred on mobile) and the rating was visible like the top row in this image:

I've always really liked how a description appeared when you hover over the icons, but I must confess I barely ever use it. Maybe it's become obsolete. Youtube never even had short descriptions.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 17:30:07

I definitely like this look the best from everything I've seen so far. Also, I think ratings in the thumbnails is a good idea, but I don't see how the description hurts if it's only there on rollover. Maybe you could replace it with preview stills from MP4 movies?

Super FTC!

It's terrible, but I'm trying to make it better.

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 18:32:06

If this isn't a redesign then please make sure that in the next one the games and movies pages aren't separate buttons. That's fine on a mobile but the new layout stops people having a good look at the under judgment page.

Other than that, I like it. With traditional NG colours at the sides it's alright.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 20:50:15

imho, if we shoudl redesign the site in any way, we shoudl aim for it to be simplistic, and minimalistic, because we must be viewed from i-phones, and also to be viewable from smartphones using the android program.

in short:
lets try to make newgrounds and its movies/games playable/viewable via i-phones/andoid devices....

this will save us.

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-04 21:50:04

What I like best about the current design (and many of the previous ones) is its distinctiveness, especially in the area of the header and menu bar.

There are a lot of sites these days going for minimalism -- and I often like minimalism, it's clean and nice -- but Newgrounds is all about uniqueness and has a unique appeal; I think going too trendy, as some of the proposed designs too, takes away some really nice visual aspects that make Newgrounds appealing, imho.

I'm not really good at graphic design so I can't show what I mean, but some nice use of color along with media-queries might make it possible to preserve that visual appeal, yet paring it down to be easier to navigate on a phone, tablet, etc.

"Sit down and shut up and do as I say" -- Zeus

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 05:07:25

At 10/4/14 07:24 AM, VicariousE wrote: I'm having a problem. While watching a movie or playing a game, if you should click on a numbered review page, sometimes the whole page refreshes

Sorry about that, should be fixed. You may need to clear cache for the changes to take effect on your system.

The layout that @Luis was working on looked better to me. Still, I would like to see NG go on a more simplistic layout, not this heavy.

till we overdose

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 09:57:26

At 10/5/14 09:46 AM, ComicD wrote: The layout that @Luis was working on looked better to me. Still, I would like to see NG go on a more simplistic layout, not this heavy.

Our goal right now is to avoid a total site redesign, which is why we're looking at options that simplify the existing layout so that we can address one page at a time without the whole site being at odds with itself.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:00:32

Great stuff as always! Especially the Tales of Stuff, been tailing that stuff since the first P-Bot post containin' it...

At 10/3/14 05:59 PM, TomFulp wrote: What are your thoughts on this one?

Great! I love how there's a Portal button in the main menu too. :D The one with the sunbeams was a bit distracting IMO. I like test-object's mockup without header background, though I think it could be improved with a small background box behind the user icons to the right, they blend into the current background a bit too much. The background block could be similar to the current bar, but just as a layer under that part.

For art submissions I often hover over icons to see if I recognize the authors, and take note of ratings. For regular submissions I still view the majority either via the portal or in list view (as in: the feed), so I don't use that blurb feature much. Though I think it's great to have if you want some additional info without moving away from the current grid.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:03:33

Is there going to be a pumpkin carving contest this year?

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:03:45

At 10/5/14 09:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/5/14 09:46 AM, ComicD wrote: The layout that @Luis was working on looked better to me. Still, I would like to see NG go on a more simplistic layout, not this heavy.
Our goal right now is to avoid a total site redesign, which is why we're looking at options that simplify the existing layout so that we can address one page at a time without the whole site being at odds with itself.

Well, changing the color and taking out the textures is nice, but I think it will kinda look better if you consider to have some light colorrs on it.

Can't wait to see it.

till we overdose

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:05:21

At 10/5/14 10:03 AM, larrynachos wrote: Is there going to be a pumpkin carving contest this year?

Yes!

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:07:33

At 10/5/14 10:00 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Great! I love how there's a Portal button in the main menu too. :D The one with the sunbeams was a bit distracting IMO. I like test-object's mockup without header background, though I think it could be improved with a small background box behind the user icons to the right, they blend into the current background a bit too much. The background block could be similar to the current bar, but just as a layer under that part.

I made a mock-up yesterday based on Test-Object's mock-up (but using the current site skin) that attempted to make the items in the header show up better but I didn't upload it and now it's on my office computer... It definitely felt like it was going in the right direction but wasn't 100% happy with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:08:24

At 10/5/14 10:05 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 10/5/14 10:03 AM, larrynachos wrote: Is there going to be a pumpkin carving contest this year?
Tom mentioned it in the OP.

Yeah but I'm an idiot who can't read a whole newspost in one sitting lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:11:19

Read the whole post, Larry.

larry4nachos2014

till we overdose

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:12:47

Read the whole thread, Larry.

larry4nachos2014

till we overdose

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:16:22

At 10/5/14 10:11 AM, ComicD wrote:
Read the whole post, Larry.
larry4nachos2014

I knooowwwww I wasn't paying attention >A<

At 10/5/14 10:12 AM, ComicD wrote:
Read the whole thread, Larry.
larry4nachos2014

Double posting to replace one word was kinda unnecessary.

larry4nachos2014

BBS Signature

Response to Costume Contest, Site Design, FF! 2014-10-05 10:24:46

At 10/5/14 10:16 AM, larrynachos wrote: Double posting to replace one word was kinda unnecessary.

That's why God and liljim created an edit button. Sheesh.

meow

BBS Signature