00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '14: Semi Finals

5,997 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 16:35:28

Hello again! Welcome to the official thread for the fourth round of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2014 (NGADM '14) - the Semi Finals! Don't know what the NGADM is? Head on over to this thread to find out more. If you do know what it is and would like to know more, check out THIS newspost for the schedule, prizes and most importantly the rules!

With two rounds of the knockout now over, we're well on our way to the Finals! We started with 184 auditions and had to narrow it down to only 64 participants, and after a couple of rounds we're down to 4 semi-finalists. This whole endeavour would not have been possible without the help of our truly awesome team of judges - Step, Samulis, Neon-Bard, headphoamz, MetalRenard, and midimachine. Please feel free to congratulate them for the hard work they all do, but do remember, I'm the one doing the real work, so bribes should always be sent in my direction.

This particular thread holds the results of the Quarter Finals stage, i.e. the second knockout round. Once again, the quality of submissions is truly astounding, and if you don't believe me you can always hear this playlist and find out for yourselves.

Now that the scores are posted below and Round 3 is finished, the judges will spend the two weeks of Round 4 reviewing your submissions. Each track will be getting a review from every single judge, which means a total of 6 reviews from our beloved judging team. Have an issue with a score from a particular judge? Do NOT post it in the thread! Leave it to PMs and if the judge wishes, s/he can explain in detail the critique on your track. Remember that the judges put a lot of work into this round, so politeness and respect is a must.

Finally, I would like to thank a few people! Thanks goes to camoshark for keeping this excellent list of the submissions, and Artist-Lost for the excellent logo he made (for the third year running), which you can see at the bottom of this post.

Remember, if you've made it through and have suddenly realised that you can't take part, then let us know instantly! Walkovers suck, and we can easily replace you with someone who was next in-line to win.

And with that, after two weeks of furious composing, here is the breakdown of the results!

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 16:37:09

Group 01: garlagan vs Sequenced

- garlagan
--- Step: 9.6
--- Neon-Bard: 9.6
--- headphoamz: 9.3
--- MetalRenard: 9.6
--- midimachine: 8.7
--- samulis: 9.25
AVERAGE: 9.34

- Sequenced
--- Neon-Bard: 9
--- headphoamz: 8
--- MetalRenard: 9.3
--- midimachine: 8.6
--- samulis: 9.1
AVERAGE: 8.93

======================
WINNER: garlagan
======================

Group 02: johnfn vs steampianist + ZipZipper

- johnfn
--- Step: 9.5
--- Neon-Bard: 9.8
--- headphoamz: 9.2
--- MetalRenard: 9.5
--- midimachine: 8.8
--- samulis: 9
AVERAGE: 9.3

- steampianist + ZipZipper
DIDN'T SUBMIT

======================
WINNER: johnfn
======================

Group 03: PirateCrab vs SkyeWint + camoshark

- PirateCrab
--- Step: 9.1
--- headphoamz: 9
--- MetalRenard: 9.8
--- midimachine: 9.1
--- samulis: 9
AVERAGE: 9.17

- SkyeWint + camoshark
--- Step: 9
--- headphoamz: 7.9
--- MetalRenard: 9.1
--- midimachine: 8.2
--- samulis: 8.1
AVERAGE: 8.55

======================
WINNER: PirateCrab
======================

Group 04: PeterSatera vs SoundChris + Hitokirito

- PeterSatera
--- Neon-Bard: 9.5
--- headphoamz: 8.5
--- MetalRenard: 9.3
--- midimachine: 8.4
--- samulis: 8.55
AVERAGE: 8.98

- SoundChris + Hitokirito
--- Step: 9.4
--- Neon-Bard: 9.2
--- headphoamz: 9.7
--- MetalRenard: 9.9
--- midimachine: 8.9
--- samulis: 8.55
AVERAGE: 9.28

======================
WINNER: SoundChris + Hitokirito
======================

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 16:38:41

WEINERS:
garlagan
johnfn
PirateCrab
SoundChris + Hitokirito

To find out who you are matched with, and your position in the bracket, check out this image right here.

If you made it through, a big congratulations and good luck in Round 4! You have 2 weeks (until 15th October at 11:59 PM EDT [NG Time]) to make an entirely new song and post it here, in this thread. If you didn't make it, then at least remember you made it almost all the way to the Final, which is in itself a great achievement.

As a reminder, do not ask/complain about any of the scores in this thread! Use PMs and review responses where applicable.

That should be everything! Posting can now begin.

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 16:48:19

Wonderful work everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed this round's entries, as evident by the fact that all of my scores are more than or equal to 9.

I didn't manage to finish reviewing everything before the results were posted. I have Sequenced's and SoundChris/Hitokirito's submissions left to review. They will come ASAP!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 17:01:07

@step, thanks for your wholehearted review as always!

Genuinely didn't expect to get through this round, I really need to pull out some intense shit now to really make this work. @Camoshark & @Skyewint you are both excellent musicians and it was a pleasure matching up against you.

But now @Soundchris and @Hitokirito ? Christ, this is gonna be painful.

ALSO WHAT'S WITH PUTTING ME UP AGAINST 3 PAIRED MUSICIANS IN A ROW YOU TIGHT HEARTED GITS?

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 17:04:52

At 10/1/14 04:48 PM, Step wrote: Wonderful work everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed this round's entries, as evident by the fact that all of my scores are more than or equal to 9.

Doesn't that just end up making your vote insignificant compared to the votes from judges who use a wider range of the 0-10 scale? :p

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 17:11:59

I was rooting for johnfn all the way up to now, but HOLY COW garlagans track was just too awesome for my ears :(.
Friggin "redemption" though.... Wish I could see an epic duel between those two, but I guess I'll see it in in the semi's X3.
It's impossible to call who will win this at this point o_O. I've always known that johnfn and Soundchris were legends, but garlagan and PirateCrab are starting to break into my "favourite ng artists" list :).
Wish good luck to all the contestants. May the force be with you. (needed a lame pun at the end of the post. I've watched to much Game theorists lately :(.)

Just a random idiot

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 17:38:26

Welp, can't say we didn't see this coming. In the end, we just weren't able to give enough time to this competition to keep up, even as a team. This should definitely make you feel proud, @PirateCrab, seeing as you've also had your fair share of IRL stuff (sorry for your loss, btw).

In any case, I bow down to everyone that's made it this far into the competition, and I'll be keeping a close eye on this year's roster, which has certainly proved to be able to produce amazing content (gogogo @soundchris ^^) as well as to all the judges who've been working non-stop to make this part of the web a place of diversity and quality!

I'll also be keeping the list up to date, so I'll still be involved in this anyways. ;)

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 17:50:56

At 10/1/14 05:04 PM, Buoy wrote: Doesn't that just end up making your vote insignificant compared to the votes from judges who use a wider range of the 0-10 scale? :p

Hello to you too, Buoy.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

I am honestly sad about every single person who lost. I mean, I think that the wins are deserved, but we were at the point where even the people who lost put out top quality music.

Congrats to everyone. You are all excellent.

also dang it, I'm getting sick. Such a bad time to get sick! I'm having flashbacks to round5 last year...

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 18:52:09

Bbbb...bbbbb...bbbb...bb..*sniffle

Good show guys...sniffle...good show.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 19:44:46

i guess ill never win stuff cause i dont make generic music

sorry headphaomz

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 19:50:43

At 10/1/14 07:44 PM, Sequenced wrote: i guess ill never win stuff cause i dont make generic music

sorry headphaomz

Wow, umad?

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 19:57:01

I'm still around if anybody requires emotional support ^__^
or a cup of tea.

...........or cake.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 20:06:25

Dibs on the cake.

And the tea. Two sugars matey!

At 10/1/14 07:57 PM, etherealwinds wrote: I'm still around if anybody requires emotional support ^__^
or a cup of tea.

...........or cake.

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 20:12:22

I've been waiting too long for this
http://step.newgrounds.com/reviews/audio

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 21:20:25

At 10/1/14 07:44 PM, Sequenced wrote: i guess ill never win stuff cause i dont make generic music

sorry headphaomz

Woah dude I hope you're joking. Be happy that you made it this far, because it's not easy.

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-01 22:57:03

Just popping in to congratulate everyone that made it this far, winner or not. Fantastic work from the lot of ya'!

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 00:17:02

Congrats to all the people who made it to the final round!

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 02:47:13

Huge congrats to the competitors who've made it this far, the standard of music for this round was outstanding! I particularly enjoyed the match up between PeterSatera and SoundChris/Hitokirito. A super close round. I feel sorry for the judges having to pick a winner between the two.

Great round guys, some really professional sounding works. Can't wait for Round 4 submissions!

Good luck!

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 08:00:10

sorry headphaomz

Haha, good jokes m808.

Anyways goodluck in the Semi finals.

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 09:15:31

nah its cause ur shit m8 <3

i'll get started on reviews next wednesday.
overall everyone did really well!

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 12:53:00

@SoundChris said they wont be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

muhahahahhaaarr

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 13:02:17

At 10/2/14 12:53 PM, PeterSatera wrote: @SoundChris said they wont be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

muhahahahhaaarr

I sense raccoon devilry at work.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 13:26:52

What

Sequenced why did you remove Here

Now it is not here

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 13:44:53

At 10/2/14 01:02 PM, Step wrote:
At 10/2/14 12:53 PM, PeterSatera wrote: @SoundChris said they wont be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

muhahahahhaaarr

Alright alright. That was a joke...however this is completely real:
@johnfn said he won't be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 14:30:45

At 10/2/14 01:26 PM, LunacyEcho wrote: What

Sequenced why did you remove Here

Now it is not here

because its not generic

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 14:57:54

sorry headphaomz

<3

Excellent tracks, everyone. It was a really difficult round to judge.

also, the production quality = eargasms everywhere kthxbai

At 10/2/14 01:44 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 10/2/14 01:02 PM, Step wrote:

muhahahahhaaarr
Alright alright. That was a joke...however this is completely real:
@johnfn said he won't be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

Yes I did in fact say that. That is something I definitely said with my mouth. I definiteNO

I MUST RESISTt

THE RACCOONS

THEY HUNGERRRRRRRR

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Semi Finals 2014-10-02 16:30:52

At 10/2/14 12:53 PM, PeterSatera wrote:

:: @SoundChris said they wont be able to follow up with the next round and I've to take over...

ITS A TRAPPPP!!!!!

Finally back on my system. First i wanna say that it was an honor to be set against peter since i really respect him a lot as artist and also as person - @PeterSatera you are really a cool dude!!!

@camoshark

gogogo @soundchris ^^

We will do our best!

Hm so garlagan vs peter then? Will john really continue or not? Sorry peter you made it to totally make me confused confused :D

@the Judges: Finally trying to respond to all the epic and very detailed reviews from the last 3 rounds (sorry for letting you wait so long but i have been really busy. BUT: I have a flat now and that saves me over 3 hours / day now - really happy i will finally can relax a little bit.

@PirateCrab : Hello :D

BBS Signature