00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Unity Support & New Game Filters!

10,373 Views | 40 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:33:13


Newgrounds has had Unity support for a while now but it was a workaround using our HTML5 upload system; you dropped your unity3d file in a ZIP with an index.html and our system loaded it in an iframe. It wasn't very convenient.

This is finally fixed! You can now upload your unity3d file directly, the same way Flash devs upload an SWF.

As an example I uploaded a Club a Seal game I was working on with MindChamber back in 2009.

If you have an existing Unity game on NG, you could try replacing the ZIP version with a direct build. Please let us know if you experience any problems! NOTE: Regular visitors may need to Shift+Refresh the view page or clear their cache.

There were a lot of Ludum Dare 30 games made with Unity and hopefully this encourages more devs to share them on NG. Be sure to enable rev share under your account page, we're getting some great CPMs on the pre-roll ads at the moment!

Also we have new filters that aren't linked yet from the Games hub but will be soon:

Games with Scoreboards
Games with Content Sharing
Games with Medals (will replace existing version)
Games with Gamepad Support
Mobile Friendly Games (html5 + touch friendly)

If you've made a touch-friendly html5 game, be sure to check the box for "Touchscreen friendly" in your project settings. Click "Edit" next to your ZIP file to bring up advanced settings.

Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish for these updates.

Tomorrow is Throwback Thursday so be sure to check in!

Monday is Madness Day and there are prizes.

Also, you can upload anything scary / horror or Halloween-themed during the month of October and tag it with "halloween2014" to be part of our Halloween Spooktacular! There's prizes for that too, for movies, games, art and music.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:34:37


i like bees and cheese


BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:37:47


Nice to see new filters Tom. Think you could slap the Medal sort onto the movies too? I know there are a couple around that have medals. I'm looking at the Street Fighter Collab and African Dudes as prime examples.


Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:39:43


That is nice but it seems that it somehow broke things in my HTML5 game.

See :

In the console you will have :
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined UnityObject2.js?cache_at=1396434084:1

It worked fine 20 minutes ago... Maybe this is related ?

Thanks !

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:41:14


At 9/17/14 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote:
This is finally fixed! You can now upload your unity3d file directly, the same way Flash devs upload an SWF.

Cool! I'm definitely making a few things for Madness Day, well, for an animation ;) see you guys there.


New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:46:50


At 9/17/14 11:39 AM, GdabZ wrote: That is nice but it seems that it somehow broke things in my HTML5 game.

This might just be a matter of you needing to clear your cache to get the new javascript, give that a try and let me know if it's still not working! It appears to be loading fine on my end.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 11:51:00


At 9/17/14 11:46 AM, TomFulp wrote: This might just be a matter of you needing to clear your cache to get the new javascript, give that a try and let me know if it's still not working! It appears to be loading fine on my end.

Tried private navigation (under Chrome) and using Firefox with no success whatsoever. But maybe this is on my side.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:00:03


Got this error trying to load your game:

The webplayer cannot load the specified game content. The game you are trying to play was built with Unity 2. On OSX 10.9 Mavericks, the Unity Web Player only supports running games built with Unity 3 or newer.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:02:56


At 9/17/14 12:00 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: Got this error trying to load your game:

The webplayer cannot load the specified game content. The game you are trying to play was built with Unity 2. On OSX 10.9 Mavericks, the Unity Web Player only supports running games built with Unity 3 or newer.

Thanks ! But the fact is my game is pure HTML5, made in Javascript only. And no reference is made to the word "Unity" or its derivatives in any place of the source code.

That makes me think the new implementation broke something : maybe HTML5 games are believed to be Unity games now and as mine doesn't use it, it throws an error ?

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:09:11


At 9/17/14 12:00 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: Got this error trying to load your game:

The webplayer cannot load the specified game content. The game you are trying to play was built with Unity 2. On OSX 10.9 Mavericks, the Unity Web Player only supports running games built with Unity 3 or newer.

Oh darn, I need to upgrade Unity.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:14:45


Your unity game doesn't appear...?

The area where it's supposed to be is collapsed.


Good.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:17:14


At 9/17/14 12:02 PM, GdabZ wrote:
At 9/17/14 12:00 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: Got this error trying to load your game:

The webplayer cannot load the specified game content. The game you are trying to play was built with Unity 2. On OSX 10.9 Mavericks, the Unity Web Player only supports running games built with Unity 3 or newer.
Thanks ! But the fact is my game is pure HTML5, made in Javascript only. And no reference is made to the word "Unity" or its derivatives in any place of the source code.

That makes me think the new implementation broke something : maybe HTML5 games are believed to be Unity games now and as mine doesn't use it, it throws an error ?

There's some js in the view page for when a ZIP file is flagged to require Unity to play... Is that error making the page fail to load for you, or just showing up in your inspector? We're doing a few other quick fixes at the moment and then will be able to take another look at this!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:21:52


At 9/17/14 12:14 PM, squidly wrote: Your unity game doesn't appear...?

The area where it's supposed to be is collapsed.

That happens for me on that page if I disable the Unity plugin. You have the plugin right? Are you on Mac or PC?


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:25:15


At 9/17/14 12:17 PM, TomFulp wrote:
There's some js in the view page for when a ZIP file is flagged to require Unity to play... Is that error making the page fail to load for you, or just showing up in your inspector? We're doing a few other quick fixes at the moment and then will be able to take another look at this!

On my side the game view is totally collapsed, title included.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:35:01


when the ''madnessday2014'' preloader image will come out?

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:39:10


At 9/17/14 12:25 PM, GdabZ wrote: On my side the game view is totally collapsed, title included.

Goldfish is on this now!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:41:17


At 9/17/14 12:35 PM, GabrielBarsch wrote: when the ''madnessday2014'' preloader image will come out?

Looking at art from last year, this one might work well (will need to get test-object's blessing):

Has a nice dark space for any preloaders / ads / play buttons...


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 12:59:19


My game is back (and, I suppose, other HTML5 games). Thank you !

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 13:09:01


At 9/17/14 12:59 PM, GdabZ wrote: My game is back (and, I suppose, other HTML5 games). Thank you !

Yay!!!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 13:59:28


I installed the unity plugin at some point, but now it's gone and reinstalling it doesn't make it show up in chrome:plugins at all (closed and reopened browser). If I have to restart my comp, I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 14:39:11



Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 14:45:29


Well done team!

Also. First post.


None

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 15:12:53


Good work! I especially like the filters. I kinda think of them like "hubs".

...Although, strangely, I looked at the "Games With Content Sharing" filter and most of the games...don't have content sharing. It's like they enabled the option and never used it, or something. At least Time Fcuk is there, though.

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 15:46:32


At 9/17/14 03:12 PM, Listen2Reason wrote: Good work! I especially like the filters. I kinda think of them like "hubs".

...Although, strangely, I looked at the "Games With Content Sharing" filter and most of the games...don't have content sharing. It's like they enabled the option and never used it, or something. At least Time Fcuk is there, though.

Oh good point... Maybe we can check for shared content actually existing, rather than having it initial set up done on the NG side.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 16:26:08


At 9/17/14 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also we have new filters that aren't linked yet from the Games hub but will be soon:

Games with Scoreboards
Games with Content Sharing
Games with Medals (will replace existing version)
Games with Gamepad Support
Mobile Friendly Games (html5 + touch friendly)

How are you guys linking to these new filters? Is there a way to make the header of the right window match what filter you are currently on? Maybe it is, so ignore if so. Anytime powerful filters start getting into the mix I always start to worry people can get lost easily.

Unity Support & New Game Filters!


None

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 16:45:15


This is great news!

Godspeed Team NG!


BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 16:51:27


At 9/17/14 04:26 PM, Luis wrote: How are you guys linking to these new filters? Is there a way to make the header of the right window match what filter you are currently on? Maybe it is, so ignore if so. Anytime powerful filters start getting into the mix I always start to worry people can get lost easily.

That was bugging me too, will pester.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 17:42:23


Finally! I've been waiting a long time for this! thanks Tom :D

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 18:08:59


Lookin' good! Thanks Goldfish!

also interesting to see ye olde Club a Seal alpha

Response to Unity Support & New Game Filters! 2014-09-17 18:49:58


Great, nice update! Finally the scoreboard sort. Been wanting that for a while. Thanks!


Don't click me. Please.

^ DON'T CLICK IT.

^ DON'T LISTEN TO THAT.