00:00
00:00

N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals

6,087 Views | 91 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:00:13

Heya! Welcome to the official thread for the third round of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2014 (NGADM '14) - the quarter finals! Don't know what the NGADM is? Head on over to this thread to find out more. If you do know what it is and would like to know more, check out THIS newspost for the schedule, prizes and most importantly the rules!

I'll get straight to the point - an absolutely fantastic round. The vast majority of the competitors noticeably stepped up their game from their already-strong previous round, and as a result the scores were sky high this round. HUGE thanks to all the judges - Step, samulis, Neon-Bard, headphoamz, MetalRenard, and midimachine - for working very hard to get you these sky high scores on time.

Thanks once again to camoshark for possibly the best newspost ever and Artist-Lost for the fantastic icon underneath!

As a reminder, do not post anything until I give the go-ahead.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:01:31

GROUP A

- Spadezer
--- Step: 8.6
--- Neon-Bard: 8.25
--- headphoamz: 8.5
--- MetalRenard: 8
--- midimachine: 8.2
--- samulis: 8.25
AVERAGE: 8.3

- garlagan
--- Step: 9.3
--- Neon-Bard: 8.75
--- headphoamz: 9
--- MetalRenard: 9
--- midimachine: 8.8
--- samulis: 8.75
AVERAGE: 8.93

======================
WINNER: garlagan
======================

GROUP B

- SolarexMusic
--- Step: 8.8
--- Neon-Bard: 8.5
--- headphoamz: 9.6
--- MetalRenard: 7.5
--- midimachine: 8.9
--- samulis: 7.9
AVERAGE: 8.53

- Sequenced
--- Step: 9.2
--- Neon-Bard: 8
--- headphoamz: 8.3
--- midimachine: 9
--- samulis: 8.9
AVERAGE: 8.73

======================
WINNER: Sequenced
======================

GROUP C

- johnfn
--- Step: 8.9
--- Neon-Bard: 9
--- headphoamz: 8.6
--- MetalRenard: 8.5
--- midimachine: 9.1
--- samulis: 8.55
AVERAGE: 8.78

- AeronMusic
--- Step: 9
--- headphoamz: 9
--- midimachine: 8.1
--- samulis: 8.95
AVERAGE: 8.59

======================
WINNER: johnfn
======================

GROUP D

- ZipZipper + steampianist
--- Step: 9.1
--- Neon-Bard: 9.25
--- headphoamz: 8.1
--- midimachine: 8.7
--- samulis: 9.28
AVERAGE: 8.91

- introstalge
--- Step: 9
--- Neon-Bard: 7.75
--- headphoamz: 9.3
--- MetalRenard: 7
--- midimachine: 8.5
--- samulis: 8.15
AVERAGE: 8.28

======================
WINNER: ZipZipper + steampianist
======================

GROUP E

- Kor-Rune + Bosa
--- Step: 7.8
--- headphoamz: 8.9
--- midimachine: 8.7
--- samulis: 8.2
AVERAGE: 8.31

- PirateCrab
--- Step: 9.6
--- Neon-Bard: 9
--- headphoamz: 9.1
--- MetalRenard: 9.5
--- midimachine: 8.9
--- samulis: 9.05
AVERAGE: 9.19

======================
WINNER: PirateCrab
======================

GROUP F

- SkyeWint + camoshark
--- Step: 9.5
--- headphoamz: 8
--- MetalRenard: 8.5
--- samulis: 9.08
AVERAGE: 8.81

- Jay-Turner
--- Step: 8.2
--- headphoamz: 8.5
--- samulis: 7.75
AVERAGE: 8.2

======================
WINNER: SkyeWint + camoshark
======================

GROUP G

- PeterSatera
--- Step: 9.4
--- Neon-Bard: 9.5
--- headphoamz: 9.1
--- midimachine: 8.8
--- samulis: 8.75
AVERAGE: 9.18

- etherealwinds
--- Step: 9.4
--- Neon-Bard: 9.5
--- headphoamz: 8.6
--- samulis: 8.7
AVERAGE: 9.12

======================
WINNER: PeterSatera
======================

GROUP H

- SoundChris + Hitokirito
--- Step: 9.5
--- headphoamz: 10
--- samulis: 9
AVERAGE: 9.17

- Troisnyx
--- Step: 8.7
--- headphoamz: 7.9
--- samulis: 8.35
AVERAGE: 8.37

======================
WINNER: SoundChris + Hitokirito
======================

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:02:59

WINNERS:

garlagan
Sequenced
johnfn
ZipZipper + steampianist
PirateCrab
SkyeWint + camoshark
PeterSatera
SoundChris + Hitokirito

PAIRINGS:
garlagan vs Sequenced
johnfn vs ZipZipper + steampianist
PirateCrab vs SkyeWint + camoshark
PeterSatera vs SoundChris + Hitokirito

If you're one of the winners listed above, then congrats and good luck! You have 2 weeks (until the 27th of September at 11:59 PM EST [NG Time]) to make an entirely new song and post it in this very thread. The quality was very high for this round, so whether a winner or not, give yourself a pat on the back!

As a reminder, don't complain about scores in this thread. Leave them to PMs to the individual judges or to me/Echo. On a related note, don't forget to check the review allocation file to see who will be reviewing you t his round.

Let the posting, and Round 3 - the quarter finals - commence!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:07:01

:( etherealwinds

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:07:09

Sorry for the results taking so long. They're JUST on time to avoid being late, but still, we sure did leave it till the last minute. There were complications (naturally of the raccoon variety). In fact, the above posts were all written manually due to no access to the spreadsheets at the moment, so keep a watchful eye for any mistakes. If you find any notable mistakes, contact me immediately.

And thanks for such a great round of amazing music. It was a pleasure judging it and we look forward to the quarter finals!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:10:53

At 9/14/14 12:02 AM, Step wrote: PAIRINGS:

Well.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:41:31

Holy shit, did I just score the highest average so far with a METAL track? I am honestly so chuffed, thank you guys! Many thanks to @bosa for actually submitting his track in the end, it was still an awesome track for an unfinished piece! I look forward to facing @camoshark & @skyewint next round! This should be an interesting match :D

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:42:43

At 9/14/14 12:10 AM, LunacyEcho wrote:
At 9/14/14 12:02 AM, Step wrote: PAIRINGS:
Well.

... Hehehe this is sort of awkward. I should remove my sig...

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:47:02

When everyone was going gaga for my opponent's piece I figured this was how it would turn out.

Congrats @SoundChris, jolly good show.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:48:01

At 9/14/14 12:07 AM, Step wrote: Sorry for the results taking so long. They're JUST on time to avoid being late, but still, we sure did leave it till the last minute. There were complications (naturally of the raccoon variety). In fact, the above posts were all written manually due to no access to the spreadsheets at the moment, so keep a watchful eye for any mistakes. If you find any notable mistakes, contact me immediately.

And thanks for such a great round of amazing music. It was a pleasure judging it and we look forward to the quarter finals!

For those of your who have a fetish for visual representations of the knockout bracket, here is a summary of the pairings for this round.

Great job by everyone again this round, fantastic music! Looking forward to hearing with what you all come up with next.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:56:09

At 9/14/14 12:41 AM, PirateCrab wrote: I look forward to facing @camoshark & @skyewint next round! This should be an interesting match :D

Good luck! :D It'll be fun indeed.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 00:58:15

At 9/14/14 12:48 AM, Echo wrote: For those of your who have a fetish for visual representations of the knockout bracket, here is a summary of the pairings for this round.

Great job by everyone again this round, fantastic music! Looking forward to hearing with what you all come up with next.

Umm, this bracket says that SolarexMusic won, but the scores up above say that Sequenced won.

?

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 01:02:12

*arrives on set for quarter-finals*

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 01:05:25

At 9/14/14 12:58 AM, johnfn wrote:
At 9/14/14 12:48 AM, Echo wrote: For those of your who have a fetish for visual representations of the knockout bracket, here is a summary of the pairings for this round.

Umm, this bracket says that SolarexMusic won, but the scores up above say that Sequenced won.

?

well, it is 6am there, so I think they forgot to sleep and are now running on 20% normal brainpower

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 03:32:59

At 9/14/14 01:05 AM, SkyeWint wrote:
At 9/14/14 12:58 AM, johnfn wrote:

?
well, it is 6am there, so I think they forgot to sleep and are now running on 20% normal brainpower

This ^

I inputted the wrong results for SolarexMusic when preparing the bracket. Sequenced definitely won, follow Step's results.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 03:41:05

At 9/14/14 03:32 AM, Echo wrote:
I inputted the wrong results for SolarexMusic when preparing the bracket. Sequenced definitely won, follow Step's results.

if i lost i would quit music

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 03:47:31

Etherealwinds VS PeterSatera was SO HARD to judge. Guys, you were both so amazing in this round, honestly.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 04:29:20

At 9/14/14 12:47 AM, Troisnyx wrote: When everyone was going gaga for my opponent's piece I figured this was how it would turn out.

Thanks @Troisnyx - this was a good fight and an honour! Congrats for being frontpaged btw. Well deserved :)

@PeterSatera : Congrats and --> Hello!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 05:58:23

Congrats for those who made it. I am glad I reached round of 16. Let's wait for next year.
Also, you did great, Johnfn. Totally deserved the win. (:

SOUNDCLOUD ◂▶ YOUTUBE ◂▶ FACEBOOK

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 06:13:04

At 9/14/14 04:29 AM, SoundChris wrote:
At 9/14/14 12:47 AM, Troisnyx wrote: When everyone was going gaga for my opponent's piece I figured this was how it would turn out.

Thanks @Troisnyx - this was a good fight and an honour! Congrats for being frontpaged btw. Well deserved :)

@PeterSatera : Congrats and --> Hello!

It was the frontpage that got me the comments and reviews that I got; nothing more. I don't know if I can call it well-deserved, for I'm sure the judges didn't find it at all hard picking between you and me. Just being honest, and hurt.

I did try to go placidly about the results, but I couldn't, because of what was at stake. It just pains me that no matter how much I improved, no matter how hard I tried, it all came to nothing in the end.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 06:34:54

Woa!! I'm through? I'M THROUGH! 0_o

At 9/14/14 12:07 AM, johnfn wrote:
( etherealwinds

He's so talented. It was really tight. Even when we were talking online it was nothing but mutual respect. Etherealwinds had a lot to deal with this round. He was moving, in the middle of his studies and had to create a track last minute. He recorded using a mic with a Laptop and used headphones for his production. If anything, for him to be able to do so much, so fast and produce something so great is commendable and admirable. He had more time on his hands, the scoring may have been completely different.

I know we all have to deal with what is in our lives while doing this but with our scores being so tight I'd just like to say that the guy is uber talented (sickeningly :P ) and that I really felt the pressure and excitement to come up against him. So if anyone isn't following him, then you should!

To be honest. I thought that he was going to win. So much that I reformatted yesterday to solve some operational issues. Unfortunately, now all my audio stuff needs set up again for this round asap, and new templates made and licenses in. argh! lol

I loved both your pieces, and think that it was super tight. I really liked what I heard from you Troisnyx in this comp. Your last track was really different and thought it was nice to hear you creep into that territory:D

At 9/14/14 03:47 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Etherealwinds VS PeterSatera was SO HARD to judge. Guys, you were both so amazing in this round, honestly.

Thanks so much! It was so tight by looking at it, and you all scored me much better than I honestly thought I deserved. I think once you hear your own track for the millionth time you do tend to get sick of it. But Im so surprised at how generous the scores were for my track, I really appreciate it. Thanks!

At 9/14/14 04:29 AM, SoundChris wrote: @PeterSatera : Congrats and --> Hello!

Phuck. lol :P Great to be up against you bud. I have no idea what I'm going to do. Your orchestrations make mine look like a school band.

aka. Peter

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 06:47:27

Listen @Sound Chris, I'm sorry. I'm not thinking straight anymore, and it's not right for me to lash out like that.

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 07:56:19

Ahh you guys are all so kind to me, thank you! The beauty of this competition is how unpredictable it is. @PeterSatera, you had a freaking amazing track that you really put so much into!

I don't think I'm able to call who's going to win this eeeek

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 09:38:57

At 9/14/14 03:41 AM, Sequenced wrote: if i lost i would quit music

dam i should've given you a 0

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 09:41:47

Congratulations ZipZipper, steampianist and all of the winners this round.

Thank you Step and the judges who make this happen every year. It's been a lot of fun. I can't wait to hear what everyone comes up with this round.

Best of luck guys!

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 10:05:56

Oh and PirateCrab - So pleased a metal piece got such a high score. Keep it up for your bros who bleed mercury just like you! :D

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 10:40:27

At 9/14/14 10:05 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Oh and PirateCrab - So pleased a metal piece got such a high score. Keep it up for your bros who bleed mercury just like you! :D

Agreed, even I thought that piece was badass as f**k.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, Sample Library Developer

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 11:52:47

PeterSatera vs. SoundChris

This is gonna be very epic! I don't know who should I bet on this time... Congrats to all the winners!

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 12:27:20

At 9/14/14 03:41 AM, Sequenced wrote:
if i lost i would quit music

:(

gg yo, I'll definitely be looking forward to next year's

Response to N G A D M '14 - Quarter Finals 2014-09-14 12:37:01

At 9/14/14 11:52 AM, KatMaestro wrote: PeterSatera vs SoundChris + Hitokirito

This is gonna be very epic! I don't know who should I bet on this time...

Dont forget Hitokirito.

PeterSatera vs SoundChris + Hitokirito

*gulp!

aka. Peter

BBS Signature