00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Madness: Project Nexus 2

116,599 Views | 95 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:07:36

The Madness: Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter is now live!

We plug a good number of Kickstarters on NG but this one is especially close to the heart of NG and I hope we can step up as a community here.

Madness: Project Nexus 2 is being developed by The-Swain and Krinkels, two NG legends who have been entertaining us for many years now.

They teamed up in 2012 and made Madness: Project Nexus, one of the most popular games in the history of NG.

To take the next step, The-Swain has learned Unity and Krinkels has learned 3D modeling and animation with Blender. They have really stepped out of their comfort zones and spent the past year building a proof of concept that is really damn cool.

These guys don't leave projects hanging; they have a proven track record of finishing everything they start. I have no doubt this game will reward them with the big success they both deserve.

There are some great stretch goals too, such as bringing MindChamber onto the team! MC and I had teamed up for a number of Madness Day games, such as Madness Accelerant.

On that note, Madness Day is September 22nd! Madness Day is a day where everyone is welcome to participate with Madness-themed movies, games, art and music. There is also an upcoming art contest associated with the Madness: Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter and Madness Day art entries will be included in the judging.

Check out the Madness: Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:10:04

i'm looking forward to it
gave sum love to my homies

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:10:14

Everyone should support this game! It looks very promising :)

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:11:20

Pledged £34 to that this morning :]

Good luck to them!

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:34:59

Gonna crank it up to 10 this year with my tablet of +2 tricky slaying.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:55:09

I'm super tempted to give 'em 15 bucks...might be the first Kickstarter I contribute too, the game looks amazing so far!

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 15:56:09

Quick! Grab it while you can!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 16:08:24

At 8/25/14 03:55 PM, LDAF wrote: I'm super tempted to give 'em 15 bucks...might be the first Kickstarter I contribute too, the game looks amazing so far!

DO IIIIIIT!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 16:12:07

I support it. Having had the opportunity to mess with it and see swain build his demo's while i lived there was pretty cool. It's come a long way. I was worried at first how a 3d engine might look with madness' very unashamed 2d feel. But it looks and feels great.

Also inb4luis. First post and whatever else I usually do.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 16:19:24

At 8/25/14 03:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: To take the next step, The-Swain has learned Unity and Krinkels has learned 3D modeling and animation with Blender. They have really stepped out of their comfort zones and spent the past year building a proof of concept that is really damn cool.

I don't think I realized that Krinkels had to learn 3D modeling for this! Everything looks so great, I had assumed that he had been doing it for years.

I'm thrilled to call myself a backer of this game. I can't wait to see the finished product!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 16:54:40

Thank you Tom.

Krinkels and I are gonna be as available as possible over the next month to talk to enthusiasts and curious backers about what the game will entail. Since our demo is a prototype and a lot of content will be improved or outright swapped before we're finished, we want to make sure everyone is perfectly clear on what the game is and is not going to be.

We want ever single backer to know exactly what this game is that they're funding, and we want to know exactly what they hope from it.

Wish us luck guys, it's gonna be a sleepless next month keeping updates going in a constant stream!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 17:35:51

As soon as I can I'm going to drop $100 onto this.
Cannot wait.

Whee Woo Wee Woo, on no! THE PO PO!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 17:58:23

That emotion is super I do not want to wait

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 17:59:38

Awesome! I can't wait!!!

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 19:48:46

$56,000? Seriously?

I know the original one sparked a hell of a lot of interest and success in general, but... damn man, that's a LOT of money.
Then again, if it's only been open a day and has already accumulated more than $9000 (and a month left to go), then there's hope yet. More than that 'Fallen City' kickstarter, anyway.

I really want to see the Madness series evolve into bigger and better things, but to be honest the only thing different about this that I can see from the demo is the appearance. It's the same old Madness underneath: One dude vs a lot of other dudes for no particular reason besides guns are fun. IMO, we have enough re-hashing of effectively the same original concept in existence on NG already. I'm sure people will go batshit crazy for this if and when it comes out, but... Sorry, I got tired of Madness somewhere around the 8th movie installment. There's only so many ways you can portray something before it starts to look samey no matter what else you do.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and it may well have a much more in-depth plot and list of new features than anything I've seen in Madness so far... but since the only selling points mentioned on the Kickstarter page are the graphics enhancements, I'm not holding out much hope. Significant forward movements in content like that tend to be advertised, not kept secret at the expense of leaving some people (I know I'm not the only one here) thinking this is going to be another example of style over substance.

Or I'm just a jaded old cunt, I dunno.

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 22:14:18

At 8/25/14 07:48 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:

:this is going to be another example of style over substance.

I hope we can win you over before the end. We'll be breaking our backs to make it the best game we can, and if, when all is said and done, you still don't like it, I hope we can still be friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 22:29:21

At 8/25/14 04:12 PM, Luis wrote: I support it. Having had the opportunity to mess with it and see swain build his demo's while i lived there was pretty cool. It's come a long way. I was worried at first how a 3d engine might look with madness' very unashamed 2d feel. But it looks and feels great.

Also inb4luis. First post and whatever else I usually do.

i love you

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 23:19:16

Honestly, 56k hardly seems like enough to work full time on a game even before you subtract everything that doesn't go into your living expenses. I know a lot of Kickstarter games have crumbled or been released half-cooked because people didn't correctly estimate how much they'd need to devote themselves to the game.

How far along are you guys and how much time are you expecting to need to finish the game? What you have looks really cool and a lot like the madness game we all kind of dreamed would exist and while it looks like it's further along than just being a proof-of-concept would you say it's in alpha or somewhere in between the two?

I hate to be the Debbie Downer that questions things because I was one of those guys whose notebooks in school were filled with doodles of madness battles and I'd most likely have no problem buying a finished madness game. I've just seen enough Kickstarters crumble under the weight of their aspirations so I'm instinctually kind of wary.

Sorry if that sounds kind of douchey and against the enthusiasm that we should all be drumming up for you guys. I'm a madness fan and I hope that you succeed massively even if I don;t end up supporting the campaign so you can rub it in my face.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-25 23:47:55

I won't pretend to know the financial involvement required to get this game on Xbox Live or PSN if the campaign does succeed, but I know it would be massively beneficial to Newgrounds.

Anyways, good luck folks.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 00:03:03

Sadly, with Quingate, I don't know how much exposure this will get. BUT 1/5 of the way through and 28 days left, those are good numbers. I think Madness has a huge rep, possibly one of the most famous web games ever conceived (combat interactive, I mean.)

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 00:14:18

3d rendition of Mag Hank looks awesome

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 01:43:25

This game is fantastic
Thanks for sharing

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 01:45:10

Yes think cool is nice
Think not.

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 01:52:01

We should do a kickstarter for supporting the kickstarter of Madness: Project Nexus 2. :)

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 02:01:24

At 8/25/14 07:48 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: $56,000? Seriously?

I really want to see the Madness series evolve into bigger and better things, but to be honest the only thing different about this that I can see from the demo is the appearance. It's the same old Madness underneath: One dude vs a lot of other dudes for no particular reason besides guns are fun. IMO, we have enough re-hashing of effectively the same original concept in existence on NG already. I'm sure people will go batshit crazy for this if and when it comes out, but... Sorry, I got tired of Madness somewhere around the 8th movie installment. There's only so many ways you can portray something before it starts to look samey no matter what else you do.

Or I'm just a jaded old cunt, I dunno.

Well, they are definitely doing something new and different (for Madness) here; I don't know how much you've read into this, but there are guaranteed modes of Zombie Survival (open world, procedurally generated, loot & survive type deal), and stretch goals of an enhanced Zombie Survival, a mode where you play as the mastermind and build a complex to stop the sociopaths, and Madness Combat versus and co-op modes.

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 02:11:58

Well im gonna donate, the only question now is, just how much do i donate...?

$5 is for suckers, im donating at least $50 or more

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 04:01:32

Heres my support! im spreading the news of the first game!
Project nexus is somewhere here
and will support the second game by spreading the news after its release.

"Yeah all recent things in life are always based upon something. Every idea now is never 100% original."

Click If curious:

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 04:15:31

So what format will this game be released in? Will it only be available via steam?

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 04:34:06

At 8/25/14 07:48 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: $56,000? Seriously?

I know the original one sparked a hell of a lot of interest and success in general, but... damn man, that's a LOT of money.
Then again, if it's only been open a day and has already accumulated more than $9000 (and a month left to go), then there's hope yet. More than that 'Fallen City' kickstarter, anyway.

this has probably been responded to, but they're basically asking for the amount for two adults with bills to pay for enough cash to eat cans of ravioli for a single year as they finish their game. does anybody do simple math before getting outraged at stuff like this?

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Madness: Project Nexus 2 2014-08-26 06:30:27

At 8/25/14 10:14 PM, The-Swain wrote: I hope we can win you over before the end.

Don't get me wrong: If it does go somewhere significant with regards to new content, I'm all for having it happen. I just didn't get the impression that it will from what I've seen (which is almost certainly not enough to make a proper decision on it either way at this point, I'll admit). Hell, the lack of new things to see and do in Madness is what killed my enthusiasm for it in the first place; seeing it finally addressed with this new game would be all kinds of awesome.

At 8/26/14 02:01 AM, bobdude0987654321 wrote: Well, they are definitely doing something new and different (for Madness) here; I don't know how much you've read into this, but there are guaranteed modes of Zombie Survival (open world, procedurally generated, loot & survive type deal), and stretch goals of an enhanced Zombie Survival, a mode where you play as the mastermind and build a complex to stop the sociopaths, and Madness Combat versus and co-op modes.

Versus and co-op aren't really original ideas for any type of shooter game anymore, but that zombie survival mode sounds exactly like the kind of evolution I would like to see happen. IF it's done well, then that alone would go a long way towards restoring my faith in the whole Madness franchise thing.

At 8/26/14 04:34 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote: this has probably been responded to, but they're basically asking for the amount for two adults with bills to pay for enough cash to eat cans of ravioli for a single year as they finish their game. does anybody do simple math before getting outraged at stuff like this?

It wasn't so much the amount itself as the likelihood of seeing that kind of money out of a kickstarter project.
However, since said kickstarter has gone up by over $2000 in the space of 7 hours, I think I can forget about money worries on this one. Which is good; I really didn't want this to fail over something as dumb as lack of funds (as much as I currently don't care about Madness, having NG's sponsored projects starve to death over funding issues is annoying to me regardless).