00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AllHailInsomnia just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

72,233 Views | 431 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 03:57:23

I think you took that site kind of lightly. I would probably devote an entire section of the sight to just discrediting the copy cats. That kind of thing pisses me off.

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 05:15:47

At 6/10/04 05:31 PM, Xorx wrote: What you calling me an asshole for bitch? You wanna step outside :P

I'd say: Bring it on!
But it was about the copycats.
Not that I don't want to fight you.

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 05:21:12

Doesn't anyone have a virus for this flipside dude.
Some sort of worm virus that totaly wrecks his computer.
That'd be cool!

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 05:24:16

At 6/11/04 05:21 AM, Bionekid wrote: Doesn't anyone have a virus for this flipside dude.
Some sort of worm virus that totaly wrecks his computer.
That'd be cool!

Ohhhhh, it suuuuree would!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 05:26:11

You guys mention copycats, and it seems that Flipsided.com is the only site you are ranting about. Move on to the next site. This thread will top the others by the end.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 05:27:45

At 6/11/04 05:24 AM, flipsidedcom wrote: Ohhhhh, it suuuuree would!

Thanks

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 06:01:10

Flipsided, I think most people are actually more angry that you borrowed a little too heavily from the "look and feel" of Newgrounds, not that you have some of the same features as thousands of sites out there. The text layout of the video page is practically carbon copy, and you have the color coded movie legend, the javascript pop up over each link with more information, a "FS-Bot" that tells you what did good today, etc. It does reek of copying, as opposed to approaching it from a design angle of "what do I need" and "what is unnecessary" and "what could I do different?"

And what's worse, the text layout really doesn't fit the graphic design of your site. It was designed perfectly for Newgrounds, and it just looks contrived on your site . Unnatural. Artificial. Not to mention a little too cluttered. That's probably what most people (who aren't complete morons that think that NG should sell people a license to have a Flash Portal on their site) have a problem with on your site.

For example, with Omnipen.net I did start with Newgrounds as a starting point, but I analyzed each and every feature and decided if I needed them or not, and what I wanted that Newgrounds didn't have. Then I designed a layout based on the information I stored and wanted to display. I kept the column style for listing ranks of movies, since it is really efficient, but almost everything else is different. And I even have a few features that Newgrounds doesn't, especially considering the site is based around a different medium, literature.

But I didn't stop there. I participated on my own site and determined whether I really needed some things, or if they got in the way. Comments (kinda like reviews on NG) used to have overall ratings for the piece, for example, but I found that they were too annoying to use each time, and a simple "grade" really didn't add anything to the comment, so I yanked it out. Perhaps this is something you could do with your site. From what I can see, it needs this analysis very badly.

For everyone who thinks that competition is a BAD thing (for some ungodly reason), you can rest easy, because Newgrounds is going to keep on growing simply because it's keeping ahead of the feature curve, innovating left and right. Before Liljim joined, hardly anything got updated on the site, and it was losing its competitive edge to these "copycats," but since Liljim's been on board new features and site tweaks have been coming in quick enough to remain on top.

But try to remember that competition is a good thing. Competition is what is keeping the simple copycat sites struggling to remain above water while Newgrounds can support several employees full time.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 06:05:18

You cannot copyright an idea, simple as that. He could copyright the code but then they would just take it and modify it, hes in a bind really. I still think he came on here to feel better about himself "Tom we love you" is all there has been these 9 pages... he really isnt that gr8.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 06:12:21

lol naa i dont wanna fight sumone who likes The D, they are kool :D

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 06:18:00

At 6/11/04 06:12 AM, Xorx wrote: lol naa i dont wanna fight sumone who likes The D, they are kool :D

Totaly.

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 08:47:55

As a Webmaster, and PHP Scripter I share your pain!

One time, I had created a whole new script, one of a kind! Brilliant, my own work, rare, and unseen!

I let people download it, to enjoy the pleasures and rarity of it, I thought this would be a great idea, providing a free rare script for people to use.

Not long later another version came out from some other website, exactly like mine.

I thought, hmmm, ok I had good timing, I came out first! Then on Hotscripts, another, and another and another and another! Then my script just became waste. The copied ones added new features, I gave up hope.

They copied my idea for a good few months, then made changes and got big!

Makes me mad, but I too see it as a way of life, some people steal, some create, others destroy! It's a fact of life!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 09:23:19

At 6/10/04 11:32 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I am not making any money from the portal at all, and I even link to newgrounds numerous times. I am even a big fan of the site.

would u mind saying exactly what is wrong with newgrounds that made u go away and make your own portal site?.. or was it just that u wanted to be idolised like tom..

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 09:30:39

Why do u people idolise tom? i really dont see why u all think hes so bloody fantastic...

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 09:30:40

At 6/11/04 05:26 AM, flipsidedcom wrote: You guys mention copycats, and it seems that Flipsided.com is the only site you are ranting about. Move on to the next site. This thread will top the others by the end.

personally.. i wont move on to the next site untill i see you bow down.. and i think others should follow suit..

i believe we should encourage the boycotting of copycat sites, by any means necissary.. otherwise ng WILL die.. and once all these 16 year old "punks" as you put it, out run their bandwidth or cant afford the renewal costs, then they too will close down.. and where will we be then.. back to step 1 with nowhere to share our creations with likeminded people.. fucking bullshit, i wont let it happen..

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 10:41:37

You can go ahead and visit those other sites,

thanks tom, was waiting for your permission.. faggot

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 10:46:33

arent i funny?... no.. ok :(

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:09:39

At 6/11/04 10:46 AM, loopster22 wrote: arent i funny?... no.. ok :(

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha.... *Gunfire*

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:16:37

At 6/11/04 10:41 AM, loopster22 wrote:

LOL yes u are funny, too fucking right, well done for ahving the balls to say something bad against tom, i dont ahve a clue why u all like him so much, but if u fancy cramming ure nose up his dirty crack then be my guest but you ent gonna see me do it

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:21:40

At 6/10/04 11:35 PM, flipsidedcom wrote:
At 6/10/04 10:08 PM, Turnip_Decoy wrote: You, flipsidedcom, are the reason so many of us are PISSED OFF.
I personally think newgrounds users suck up to the staff, and they are replying to this thread on his behalf. Not that I mean that in a negative way, that is just my opinion.

So you're saying that we're not REALLY pissed, we're just acting like it to impress the administrators? How come newbies that barely knew who the administrators were are pissed? How come the artists of flash works themselves are pissed?

You keep trying to cover up the fact that you've done something blasphemous to Newgrounds by stealing their coding. One person said that it was all too familiar to him, and he knew, the first time he came there, where everything was. What does THAT tell you? That your site is so much like NG, it's like a perfect recreation? Frankly, I don't think we CARE if you post links to NG all over the place. It's the principle behind the thing.

Please, I'd LOVE to hear your refute to the first paragraph.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:47:36

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote:

well tom all i can say is your absoulutly right to be pissed at anyone whos stealing your idea and making off with it with no hey thanks to tom fulp or newgrounds for the idea

but people do it all the time to everything and since most of the stuff on ng is satires of videogames pop culture and whatnot its like painting the kettle black...

true you did start a new genre

be happy with that my man

besides all teh copycat sites in the world dont even equal up to 1 percent of ng

if those sites bug ya that much
im sure some you could do something like
get a membership on their sites and post links to ng like how they do to us

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:55:07

At 6/11/04 10:23 AM, Thuriz_K wrote: You expect the guy to close down his site?

nope, i dont expect anything.... just a bit of fun along the way..

and to those people who say ng users stick their noses up toms ass.. well heres my view..

i wouldnt say that i brown nose tom fulp, infact, i dont really like the way he runs newgrounds and maybe he has the monopoly for too long and is beginning to think he is unbeatable.. i seriously think newgrounds needs some new features that will keep people coming back..
but, i do respect tom and i respect newgrounds (dont take that as me respecting users, i think 99.99% of them are complete morons) but he has put alot of effort into this website, and like its been said, has created a website that is able to support himself and his staff thats completely free!.. and thats pretty fucking impressive.. so hats off to the newgrounds crew..

as to the copy cat sites.. if a site came along that was better than newgrounds (and i dont mean a better website, also a better fan base) then i wouldnt think twice about moving over to there.. but there arnt any that are better.. just copies, made by kids who know a little php.. they are poorly made websites run on budget servers and i bet just some random website mostly, their history consists of about 2 weeks.. good websites evolve, and develop around what people want.. and thats what they have stolen, anyone can rewrite a code, but they have taken all the research and brainstorming that the ng crew have done and used to make their own "just add water" flash portal.. its not right, these kids wont make a profit and they wont be successfull, but they will be taking valuable users away from newgrounds.. and that just sucks, for all of us..

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 11:57:37

At 6/11/04 11:16 AM, Xorx wrote:
LOL yes u are funny, too fucking right, well done for ahving the balls to say something bad against tom, i dont ahve a clue why u all like him so much, but if u fancy cramming ure nose up his dirty crack then be my guest but you ent gonna see me do it

one last thing, it doesnt take balls to type a few words into a web form..

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:03:28

Look we understand that u get upset abouts copycats and i do 2. But tom.....WILL U PLEASE SHUT UP!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:06:35

At 6/11/04 12:03 PM, MrNiceGuy99 wrote: Look we understand that u get upset abouts copycats and i do 2. But tom.....WILL U PLEASE SHUT UP!

Thanks to God that we can see an ignorant guy here. I'd like to ask for your reason to make such suggestions, but it's not too polite to swear a creator in such manner, especially on his site.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:09:26

At 6/11/04 11:47 AM, Darklilangel23 wrote:
if those sites bug ya that much
im sure some you could do something like
get a membership on their sites and post links to ng like how they do to us

They don't link to ng, they copy it. Different. Besides, why oh why would tom get membership to a site that shamelessly steals off him? It's just not worth his time. He has his own, better website to upkeep.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:12:13

erm at the bottom of that site it says inspired by newgrounds and has a link to your site

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:14:39

I see lots of people complain about site that put movies on their to get good credits. Someone said this about dutch game sites like www.funnygamez.nl, or www.spelspelen.com . Now about these site putting movies on theirs, I agree, they do it, without getting punished for it, which is good. Most of the time the just place links to newgrounds (free propaganda), or the give credit to the maker (free propaganda), or they tell us what the source is (free propaganda). So I don't see problems with that one. People will only get more interested with what's going on here. People who complained about it better look at this problem at the good side... + there are other plus-points about these links to here. the whole archive of newgrounds is about 200.000 swf-files long, and of that 200.000, 50 are showcased in the top 50 all time, causing only these movies to get lots of views. The sites I talk about make us watch good movies (which are not good enough to be in the top 50, or is just for a selected audience).

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:43:32

To Tommy boy and EveryOne Else Thinking a Flash Portal Is only a Flash Portal Its alot more than that because ive been online for awhile now and i remember when you couldnt do Stuff online

without paying, i love this web site my Thanx to Tom and Everyone That has put in hours to help better it i really enjoy the website you guys Have Created And ive been to a ton of web sites

Im a new member but ive been going to this page for years and ill probably be going here for years to come, So Basically i just want to let you know i appreciate the hard work and what not

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:52:08

Why were newbies Pissed because probably unlike your dumbassed self i reallize the long fuckin hours they have had to put in and for what people like you trying to slit their throats

Because lets see your probably jealous they had all these fuckin ideas and what do you got?? Hmm... you got shit! id appreciate if youd back off jackhole you can say im sucking up but you know

what Fuck you just because i apprecaite somthing doesnt mean im sucking up , so if You think i am blow my asshole Shit Stain!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-11 12:54:34

At 6/11/04 06:05 AM, Xorx wrote: You cannot copyright an idea, simple as that.

Actually, you're wrong.

:He could copyright the code but then they would just take it and modify it, hes in a bind really. I still think he came on here to feel better about himself "Tom we love you" is all there has been these 9 pages... he really isnt that gr8.

At 6/11/04 11:16 AM, Xorx wrote:
At 6/11/04 10:41 AM, loopster22 wrote:

Hey....guess what, bitches? We've established that there are now other copycat sites floating around out there. Sooo....why don't you take your sorry asses there if you don't appreciate the Fulps and their creations? You won't be missed.