00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

YouTube and Animators

104,053 Views | 284 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-03-20 11:44:49

At 3/20/15 01:39 AM, DragonTherapist wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're making a movie about NG.

Not about NG, but to honour it.

I hope you share it wherever there may be people who don't yet know about the site and I hope it brings in throngs of curious newcomers.

There will be more than just people who don't know the site reviewing and rating like this video that was approved by Tom. I'm sure people spending lots of time on the site would watch it since I got mine approved by his brother which is pretty damn close to Tom.

What kind of well-liked work on Newgrounds is analogous to all the airheaded ditzes video blogging about the mountains of crap they bought for school, or shrieking obnoxious douchebags playing and overreacting to computer games, or anyone else hopping on some trending viral video archetype to make a quick buck? Youtube is kind of a cesspool because channels like those exist to churn out vapid content while begging for likes and subscribers and being immune to criticism. Those are the entrepreneurs I'm talking about.

Sure, but there also a time on NG when people used to put mountains of crap for animation and did copyrighted animation or just random animation that didn't even make sense or so on, but Tom later made some established rules about what animation can make it to the portal and what animation can't make it.

If Tom can do it for animation content and stop bad animation from entering the website, he could do it for LIVE content as well.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2016-03-04 02:02:19

Do you allow all kinds of animation on newgrounds?

Response to YouTube and Animators 2016-03-05 13:16:03

At 3/4/16 02:02 AM, Solge11 wrote: Do you allow all kinds of animation on newgrounds?

Yup! Doesn't have to just be Flash.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2016-05-10 03:29:17

At 3/5/16 01:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/4/16 02:02 AM, Solge11 wrote: Do you allow all kinds of animation on newgrounds?
Yup! Doesn't have to just be Flash.

Welp, that right there has just convinced me to start using Newgrounds.

I've been tired of YouTube's crap for the past six years and have wanted it to have competition desperately. I always knew about newgrounds, but for the longest time it only supported flash and I do not make flash animations. Now that I see that has changed, I will definitely start becoming active on newgrounds.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2016-11-30 10:57:02

At 8/3/14 02:01 PM, morcov wrote:
At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: We hope to see your next animation!
Maybe Newgrounds should pull a Netflix and fund animators to make NG exclusive original series.

i would totally make a NG exclusive original series!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2016-12-21 13:39:33

At 8/3/14 02:23 PM, Emrox wrote: As seeing as a lot of big guys are turning to patreon these days, have you thought of adding "support this artist" features to encourage people to keep posting on NG? It could be as little as a special button you could put on your submissions that links to your personal donations page.

These are all great ideas I could totally get behind this!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2017-11-18 17:08:06 (edited 2017-11-18 17:09:38)

I would consider moving here to Newgrounds if there was a way to make collaborative work easier. One of the biggest problems I have with youtube is that there is no way to make a studio there. If I want to give someone access to my account so they can upload something, I have to give them my password to my google account, which is not safe. Not only that, but there is no way to distribute power, either I give someone access to the channel and they can upload, delete, or do whatever they want with the channel, or give them cero access to it. Does anyone know if Newgrounds has something like this so that I can work with other collaborative without risking loosing all of my work or giving private information? Like ranks you can give people like "Moderator" or "Editor" or something like that? If they do then I'm moving here, if they don't then you need to get on that Newgrounds, because this is a place where people come to upload their creative projects, and stuff like film and animation require a team most of the time.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2017-11-18 17:14:02 (edited 2017-11-18 17:14:51)

At 3/19/15 06:17 PM, DragonTherapist wrote:
At 3/19/15 12:33 PM, Master-Awesome wrote: I know you prefer flash, but I believe NG can have LIVE videos and not the type on YouTube. What will be different is that we make it ourselves and compete for front page. I think you might even see lots to of new people join and proudly be artists. You could also make it a separate portal.
This is antithetical to what NG exists for, as I understand it. Maybe my apprehension comes from watching cartoon channels I loved as a child, like Nickelodeon and Disney, convert to cringeworthy, ludicrously bad schedules stuffed full of live-action shows with piss-poor acting and even worse writing because such programs were cheaper to produce and they could maximize profit and investor interest. I just don't believe such a strategy has a place here.

That's because NG nurtures artists, not entrepreneurs. It's pure because it's the artists who own it. You'll have a hard time finding any other outlet that truly depends on its community to live, while it lives for its community.

Moving closer to Youtube with things like live videos will move this place away from that purity. It doesn't take an artist to make a video. It doesn't take practice to edit a string of shots together. It doesn't take patience to come up with a skit and record it on the spot. With a skill ceiling so low you'd have to crouch to fit beneath it, the motivation moves away from the work itself and into pure profit.

Here's what NG does have that Youtube never will, though:
At 12/15/14 08:48 PM, Rixxx wrote: more boobs
That's our strength. We're free from entrepreneurs and we can take risks as artists.

If you think making a good live video or film doesn't take skill, then Idk where you have been. Allowing live videos would let other types of artists in, which are called cinematographers and film makers to post their work here. Making a short and a good script with good dialogue is no easy task, and there are some worthy youtubers out there that definitely put more effort into all of these stuff than you give them credit for. I think live videos is a good idea, but it has to be controlled, it's not like all the animations here are top notch either, most are pretty crappy.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2017-12-02 11:46:30

I think live videos is a good idea, but it has to be controlled, it's not like all the animations here are top notch either, most are pretty crappy.

THANK YOU!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2018-12-20 20:18:12

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: My pessimism has helped me achieve some great things in life (you keep working when you aren't satisfied) but it has also hurt me because I constantly undersell my accomplishments, NG especially. I'll say now that NG is the best thing that ever happened on the Internet and it deserves to be recognized. The NG staff shows up every day and keeps making NG better, through boom and bust for nearly 20 years, and no site is more deserving of success than Newgrounds.

Amen.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2021-02-16 04:02:47

At 8/3/14 01:32 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Youtube is for djangos.

What? no it's not, it's for everybody.

Amber Madison

Response to YouTube and Animators 2021-02-19 02:58:52

At 8/3/14 02:25 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: I can't promise that you will ever make a living off NG but I can promise that taking the time to involve yourself with NG will only help you.
We don't come to Newgrounds to make a living, we come to Newgrounds to be a part of the community

Agreed.

Amber Madison

Response to YouTube and Animators 2021-02-19 03:00:48 (edited 2021-02-19 03:01:22)

At 8/3/14 02:29 PM, Gi-go wrote: Great post.

I really dislike YT when it comes to finding any kind of original/creative content. No site can ever beat NG's filtration system, where the funniest/most creative content truly rises to the top instead of a video of a baby laughing or some dude getting hit in the balls. YT sells contrived personalities, not original content. NG and Deviantart are the only reliable hubs for creative content on the internet imo.

PS- Not sure anyone said anything but I thought it was cool that Maddox mentioned NG as one of the few cool sites for creative content on the internet on his podcast.

IRYO on YT, but the videos on aren't like that, it could be anything like cat videos among other videos, but, I do hate prank videos, and sketches on YT nowadays are dumb and unfunny.

Who wants to see person getting hurt within sketches like that? Schadenfreude much?

Amber Madison

Response to YouTube and Animators 2021-02-19 03:22:47

At 8/3/14 04:11 PM, cowgoesmoo2 wrote: F**** youtube.
Newgrounds FTW. While newgrounds cannot be a complete replacement for youtube, partly because youtube is part trash and part culturally different, newgrounds should do its best drawing animators out and away from trashtube.

Don't you say ''F**** YouTube'', I know it's layout and the catalog of videos is messy, but it isn't trash.

Me, myself like YouTube and often go there to watch videos from the site, and you can't call it ''TrashTube'' either because everything on YouTube isn't trash, the entirety of videos are good, but not perfect, that can be okay, subpar or even bad, it isn't because it's trash, it isn't perfect, and the creator behind the videos are just learning.

the catalog on animated videos though on YouTube is messy too.. with random animations all over the place and ranging from best to worst.

I don't like the Greeny Phantom videos because I wasn't interested in it, and it barely had animation and not having a proper storyline, and I do dislike GoAnimate for being ridiculous and using the same ideas over and over again, and people putting emojis on thumbnails over and over again. YouTube isn't TrashTube, videos on the site isn't as far perfect, but they're still good and amateur users learning to improve making better videos.

However, it's still an good website and being that extremely popular.

They aren't partly trash, nor partly culturally different, they're just good without being trash or culturally different, but not perfect. but I do know that web animation is still an ongoing community and it never gets any bad from uploading from the website.

Amber Madison

Response to YouTube and Animators 2021-02-19 04:48:07

At 8/3/14 04:21 PM, Fantishow wrote: Newgrounds is fantastic, and I wish there were more people here to watch internet cartoons.

When I posted my Old Earth flash on Youtube, the only support I got was from my friends and family when I incessantly showed them. I feel like a loser when I have to do that.

Here, there's some viewership required, and an audience of people who want to watch cartoons. The best thing you can do for an artist (besides a comprehensive critique, but most people don't have the know-how) is to let them know they're working for a reason, because sometimes I'll be working, and think that I'm going to be the only one who enjoys the final product. That is the absolute worst.

Youtube is just barren when it comes to animation, and it makes me really sad that this time consuming media is being received so impatiently by a community that expects videos on a daily basis.

That being said, there are a couple of issues that come with NG. The "reviews", especially on popular submissions, are often abysmal. Most of them mistake the "helpful" button for a "like", and they're just blindly competing for them. There's also the fact that a good majority of the content posted here these days are just cheap parodies. Remember when Flappy Bird was big? I don't want to either. I like to see what other people create on their own and how they think, so it does my head in every time I see a flash about another fucking Pokemon battle.

I really hope this site gets more recognition and original content. I see in this site the potential to be a springboard for the greatest visual media of our time, and I'll sing its praises to every animation/art fan I know until it happens... again.

I feel you, I don't mind about animated parodies, web/internet animations is an very old thing at least on email.

In General, It has extremely astronomical (meaning extremely huge) amount of videos on the internet, It is generally extremely widespread in nature because animated videos being uploaded everyday on an daily basis in every 24 or 72 hours. It's all over the place with original personal and student animations , fan-made animations and/or parodies and amateurish animations, yes, it's all the over the place to the fact it is not being track of. yes, the animations can be lost due to them being deleted, they do have reuploads here and then. yes, these animations are just all the over place and absolutely random. You just don't know what comes next. It's pretty sad that when NG animator post videos on YT, it gets an mixed reception from being positive to negative reviews. But don't worry you're in an better now place and hopefully animators from the internet would get more positive reviews and all art/animation fans will approve.

Amber Madison