00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Site Improvements

10,965 Views | 114 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:05:01

At 6/7/04 03:45 PM, Funky_Penguin wrote:
At 6/7/04 03:36 PM, Snowy_Beast wrote: Sorry for the double post... but would it be possible to make an Edit post option in NG forum? I think it could be really usefull....
It would be abused.

Situation 1) A newb makes a mistake, thinks you review to gain exp or something, and many people laugh. They change their original post, and other people viewing the thread say "hey, why are you laughing at him, he never mentioned reviews in his first post". Confuzzlement for all.

Situation 2) Someone has been banned for being naughty. They change their post, then email complaining that they hadn't broken that rule. Annyoment for all (mods).

But, like I dunno they could put a Date of review.... ohh I know....

They shoud make that you can't edit ur post if someone have already answer to it... this way Situation 1 and 2 couldn't happen. and situation 3 would work

Situation 3: I'm a frenchi (witch is right) and since I'm not that good in english I make some mistake... then after posting it I realize 2 things, first I forgot to mention something, and second I made 2 miss tell.

What do you think about making an edit option only available before someone post after you?

Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:19:34

At 6/7/04 04:05 PM, Snowy_Beast wrote:
At 6/7/04 03:45 PM, Funky_Penguin wrote:
At 6/7/04 03:36 PM, Snowy_Beast wrote: Sorry for the double post... but would it be possible to make an Edit post option in NG forum? I think it could be really usefull....
It would be abused.

Situation 1) A newb makes a mistake, thinks you review to gain exp or something, and many people laugh. They change their original post, and other people viewing the thread say "hey, why are you laughing at him, he never mentioned reviews in his first post". Confuzzlement for all.

and, all the edited words could be posted in a different color, like read for example,

Situation 4: some1 posts something, then then relizes, he made either a spelling eror, or something else he sayd was wrong: He
Edits the post, but the words he changes, and the stuff he adds, will be red...

Situatiion 5: A Crew owner starts a crew, but then he relizes, that in the first post he made, he forgot 2 add a rule, or explain something, or Ect:, he justs clicks the edit button, and then everyone will know the new or or whatever....

Idea: people whould get XP, or VOTING POWER for starting good topics, so for example if someone starts a popular topic for every like 20 posts he gets 5 XP, but the 20 posts HAVE to be from different users, and their own posts dont count...there is also a limit of like 50 XP a day or something...the limit could be a lot smaller....

Situation 2) Someone has been banned for being naughty. They change their post, then email complaining that they hadn't broken that rule. Annyoment for all (mods).
But, like I dunno they could put a Date of review.... ohh I know....

They shoud make that you can't edit ur post if someone have already answer to it... this way Situation 1 and 2 couldn't happen. and situation 3 would work

Situation 3: I'm a frenchi (witch is right) and since I'm not that good in english I make some mistake... then after posting it I realize 2 things, first I forgot to mention something, and second I made 2 miss tell.

What do you think about making an edit option only available before someone post after you?

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:30:40

great!

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:36:55

At 6/7/04 04:19 PM, Danylo wrote:
Idea: people whould get XP, or VOTING POWER for starting good topics

No. Just no.

Edit will never happen. Easily open to abuse. Someone creates a topic saying "What do you think?" and asks a normal question. Lots of people reply yes, I've not seen topic , he edits original post to "do you think jonthomson is a fag?", they've all replied yes, I ban them all. I've seen it happen on GameFAQs where they merged with Gamespot. Gamespot users could edit, GameFAQs users couldn't. Gamespot user goes "how many hours a day do you play Halo?", lots of people reply with single digit numbers, he changes post to "how old are you", they're all now admitting being underage users, a (permanently) bannable offence.

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:39:43

Anyone else feel like this is something that should have gone in the NG.doc section?

Speaking of which, the alphas section (except for the aplhas section of the alphas section :P) seem to just die after a few weeks it was released. No new interviews, no community news, and the NG.doc section is still yet to be operational. We need some new stuff....keep it alive.

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:40:45

At 6/7/04 03:44 PM, pythagoras- wrote: Your reasoning is flawed, Wade. The Blam and Protect points are only earned from movies that are under judgment, therefore, it's a logical conclusion that they only affect movies that are under judgment. I don't see how they increase views to movies that have already slipped the 250 votes mark. Please explain.

I don't think Wade's reasoning is flawed. As he pointed out in his initial post, many movies before the system was implemented weren't even getting enough votes to pass judgement. By having Blam and Protect points it ensures every flash (except flagged ones) will get at LEAST 200 views (even with newbs voting without watching).

Once a movie has passed judgement it gets a score and, if it's good enough, a color. This also increases the number of views AFTER judgement. People go through the list and watch all the decently/excellently scored submissions. This wouldn't be possible if the movies didn't make it through judgement.

Furthermore, you're also missing the point that Wade made that many movies weren't passing judgement and therefore weren't eligible to receive a daily award. This means an excellent movie in the past could have missed out on a lot of coverage simply because it was about some somewhat obscure topic that people didn't feel any incentive to go out of their way to see. Now, since all movies pass judgement (once again, except the whistled ones) all movies have a shot at awards. And as we all know, awards GREATLY increase views.

As I see it, they are a flaw in NG's system. Not because it's a bad idea, mind you, but because people are all too eager to vote zero on new movies without watching in the never ending quest for "blam" points. All too many time's I have finished submitting a movie, hit the mandatory "vote fifen" only to find my movie already has a score of less then average, without even being on the portal long enough to have been viewed once.

I think the fact that good movies typically pass judgement with good scores negates this point. Yes, it's unfortunate that many idiots vote 0 on all the movies. But, the fact of the matter is, in the end, it usually balances out. And I think the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Also, keep in mind, that NG has systems in place to catch people who vote 0 on everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:42:59

Neato Wade. Yeah, Blamming and Saving is fun when you first start off, cause your like, "OMG, ic an leik get rid o crapy enteries."

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:46:37

Blam/save points were definitely a good idea, they gave people motivation to vote after they'd earned and deposited all their experience for the day, thus giving users much more feedback.

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:48:10

-first : my aplogise for my bad english-

-two : I always wanted to ask something and it's the good place to...I mean this topic.
The Newgrounds's flash lybrary is about thousand and thousand movies and games.....But no human can watch every thing and there's a lot of crappy movie still on the database.

So, why don't we make a new column in the portal with the 20 weekly less scored....something about less than 2.50.....
The people will "revote" for those movie and the best will be saves.
The database will be cleaned of the shit wich haven't been switch off for years.

No???

ok, bad idea, I forgot.....

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:49:21

At 6/7/04 04:46 PM, jx1081 wrote: Blam/save points were definitely a good idea, they gave people motivation to vote after they'd earned and deposited all their experience for the day, thus giving users much more feedback.

yeah....exept whats new???...he sayd this is a new improvment, but i remember them having this 1 and a half years ago...

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:52:10

oh, don't worry, the forums are still filled with dribbling idiots.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 16:52:37

At 6/7/04 04:49 PM, Danylo wrote: yeah....exept whats new???...he sayd this is a new improvment, but i remember them having this 1 and a half years ago...

No, he is just recaping updates. He didn't just add anything new.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest

"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 17:02:53

Now all we need is a video-chat. Like...with sound and talking....hosted by newgrounds so it's like...10 frames per second..with a mic you get to talk!

Ahe...damn that would lag the hell out of the sight. Improvements look spiffy. Keep up the good work or something.

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 17:04:42

yeah, i love the blam/protect point % increase, but my vote still isnt That great, but the system is good nonetheless

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 17:08:49

At 6/7/04 04:36 PM, jonthomson wrote: I've seen it happen on GameFAQs where they merged with Gamespot. Gamespot users could edit, GameFAQs users couldn't. Gamespot user goes "how many hours a day do you play Halo?", lots of people reply with single digit numbers, he changes post to "how old are you", they're all now admitting being underage users, a (permanently) bannable offence.

That's harsh, and I'd never thought of it that way before, but I can see your logic..
I, myself have never actually really needed/wanted an edit button before...so, I'm fine without one..

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 17:38:42

At 6/7/04 04:48 PM, KOMMANDER_Gregorius wrote:
No???

Well the thing is that there isn't a problem with the bad movie staying on Ng. There is plenty of space, so no need for that. Ng policy is: Its better for decently crappy movies to stay on than to go, as long as they pass judgement.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 18:33:46

Nice update Wade. You've made some good MOD selections for the BBS. But where's the "Wade's Bed" webcam you promised us. Still waiting to see where all the magic happens. :(

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 18:34:28

I think that nobody cares what you(people below) think. more mods means more authorians on the forums boo

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 19:18:38

That-Is-Bull wrote:

::

I just want to know why my movie was flagged. It didn't brake any of the rules. And, although it wasn't very good, it wasn't a free BLAM point. I don't even think it should have been blammed. Just about everybody that I've shown it to didn't think it was blammable.

actually that was quite blammable sorry :S try harder but it wasnt really fair to flag that

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 19:47:48

That is great news especially now artists can get a score and feedback they need.

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:17:38

At 6/7/04 03:44 PM, pythagoras- wrote: Your reasoning is flawed, Wade. The Blam and Protect points are only earned from movies that are under judgment, therefore, it's a logical conclusion that they only affect movies that are under judgment. I don't see how they increase views to movies that have already slipped the 250 votes mark. Please explain.

No, your thinking is flawed. The BLAM & SAVE is only part of the reason, I also mentioned that we display the 5 most recent entries on the front page of Newgrounds. These together help get the views up. Also if 200 people watch something and they like it they might tell other people to check it out. In the past when entries only got 50 views, that's only 50 people who might pass the link around. Now there are 200 people viewing it at least before it passes judgment, so there are that many more people that may tell people about the entry.

Also because of BLAM and SAVE points there are more people spending more time on the Portal page, so when they are done voting on the Under Judgment entires they may go watch other entries in the 50 most recent list.

Is it that hard to figure out? Kinda like if you have a department store and run a sale on women's jeans, you may make an extra $2,000 on jean sales, but you might make an extra $20,000 on other sales that you wouldn't have made if the jean's sale didn't attrack in extra customers. Get it?

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:20:48

At 6/7/04 03:44 PM, pythagoras- wrote: As I see it, they are a flaw in NG's system. Not because it's a bad idea, mind you, but because people are all too eager to vote zero on new movies without watching in the never ending quest for "blam" points. All too many time's I have finished submitting a movie, hit the mandatory "vote fifen" only to find my movie already has a score of less then average, without even being on the portal long enough to have been viewed once.

Forgot to explain this part. The problem isn't as bad as you think. If it was, we would know because we monitor voting trends and we would see a lot more users voting 0 on entries than end up being protected. The quality entries always get through, other wise we'd hear about it. I've never gotten an email from someone who submitted a truely quality submission that was blammed.

Besides, from looking at the experience points and your blam and save points it looks like you do very little voting, so how do you know? You are making assumptions on how our system works when you don't know any facts.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:21:12

are we suposed to see a change?

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:23:46

At 6/7/04 08:17 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
No, your thinking is flawed. The BLAM & SAVE is only part of the reason, I also mentioned that we display the 5 most recent entries on the front page of Newgrounds. These together help get the views up. Also if 200 people watch something and they like it they might tell other people to check it out. In the past when entries only got 50 views, that's only 50 people who might pass the link around. Now there are 200 people viewing it at least before it passes judgment, so there are that many more people that may tell people about the entry.

Also because of BLAM and SAVE points there are more people spending more time on the Portal page, so when they are done voting on the Under Judgment entires they may go watch other entries in the 50 most recent list.

Is it that hard to figure out? Kinda like if you have a department store and run a sale on women's jeans, you may make an extra $2,000 on jean sales, but you might make an extra $20,000 on other sales that you wouldn't have made if the jean's sale didn't attrack in extra customers. Get it?

Did you though about my Edit thing... to be able correcting error made... To provide abuse a solution would be that you cancell that option as soon as someone reply after your post. This way, I do not see any type of abuse possible. Thanks in advance for spending time read this

Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:27:29

At 6/7/04 08:21 PM, Suicidal-kid wrote: are we suposed to see a change?

No. Just recap.

Wade, I would once again like to suggest a whistle update. I think I brought it up to you before and you mentioned looking into it, but I thought I would bring it to your attention once more. I believe making whistle points visible will give us Silver Whistle users more incentive to flag more reviews and whistle more movies/games. Otherwise, many Silver Whistle users may just give up, with no chance of Gold in sight. Failing this, more whistle levels will have, more or less, the same effect. Thank you.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:28:22

At 6/7/04 02:56 PM, -shock- wrote: OGM WHERE IS PICO 2?!?!1/!?1/1??!!?!??

is there a timeframe on alien hominid yet? I will buy it for gamecube when you release it...

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 20:31:49

At 6/7/04 03:44 PM, pythagoras- wrote:
This is true. Last movie I submitted lasts like 4 minuts, yet after 30 seconds, there were already 20 votes on it O.o

cos people are just after blam/protect points..

i think some new ways of voting for movies need to be used?

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 21:01:06

At 6/7/04 08:28 PM, -roll- wrote: is there a timeframe on alien hominid yet? I will buy it for gamecube when you release it...

That's more of a question for Tom, not Wade.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 21:03:26

just had an idea..

how about voting bans on people who consistently vote 0 or 5..

Response to Site Improvements 2004-06-07 21:09:00

At 6/7/04 09:03 PM, BiNaryFlow wrote: just had an idea..

how about voting bans on people who consistently vote 0 or 5..

They have something like that. If someone constantly votes 0, they have all their points. Not sure if this rule is still enforced or not.

BBS Signature