00:00
00:00

- N A T A 14 - Open Round!

33,330 Views | 319 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

- N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:43:12

Are you ready?
It's time to begin the Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation 2014! Starting today, animators from around the world will compete for the top 24 spots in the tournament, with bracketed matchups to eliminate all but one - the Champion of Animation 2014. Do you have what it takes to make it to the top?
See the Official NATA Website for more information!
Support the contest, donate to the IndieGoGo!
*** Open Round ***
The Theme for the Open Round is...
* The Most Important Mission Ever *
*** Rules ***
* You have until 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on Friday, May 23rd to complete your submissions. No submissions will be accepted after the deadline without penalty.
* Be sure to include the NATA '14 Logo in your entry preloader or credit screen.
* Newgrounds and Jaltoid are both major sponsors of this year's tournament, and so all entries must include the Newgrounds logo and the Jaltoid logo listed as a sponsor in their loading screen, title sequence, or credit roll.
* Entries must fit the theme above to both level the playing field and ensure that entries were not previously created.
* The animation must be no shorter than 1 Minute and no longer than 10 Minutes.
* The animation must be submitted on Newgrounds in any video or flash format, so long as it can be considered animation. 3D, flash, traditional, and stop-motion are all acceptable formats.
* Excess nudity, profanity, and other things of profane nature are not allowed. (It cannot have a "Mature" rating.)
* Absolutely NO copyright material is allowed without permission. If you use copyrighted music or other material in your animation, you MUST get the permission of the original creator of that material.
* If you would like to parody, then use similar names instead of the real names - ie. "Smears" instead of "Sears". No copyrighted material whatsoever.
* The Audio portal is a great source for music, just be sure to get permission and/or come to a winnings agreement to use it for this contest!
* Any entry in violation of these rules will be disqualified.
*** Judging ***
Entries will be judged by the following judges:
* Tom Fulp - Founder of Newgrounds
* Hikarian - Champion of Animation, 2013
* Emrox - Champion of Animation, 2012
* HappyHarry - Newgrounds Animator Extraordinaire
* MindChamber - Newgrounds Animator Extraordinaire

Judging for the Open Round will be performed by each judge listing their top 24 animations in order of best to least-best. Entries placed higher on a judge's list will receive more points.
Example:
#1 entry on a judge's list -> 24 Points
#2 entry on a judge's list -> 23 Points
... and so on. Therefore, the highest total points that can be scored by one entrant in the Open Round is 120 Points, and it would only be possible for one person to get this score.
Those 24 animators will then enter the brackets. In each bracketed round, judging will be score-based on each entry.
*** Submissions ***
* Entries must be uploaded via the Newgrounds Portal.
* Entries must be tagged with "nata2014open" to distinguish them from other rounds and years.
* Entries must be submitted before the deadline. (See above)
* Be sure to post a link to your entry in this topic, to be sure your entry does not get lost.
*** Late Penalties ***
Open Round late penalties look like this for submissions after the deadline:
0 - 29 minutes: - 5 total points
30 - 59 minutes: - 10 total points
1 - 3 hours: - 15 total points
3 - 5 hours: - 20 total points
5+ hours: Disqualified
*** Prizes ***
The top 24 scored entrants from the Open Round will each move on to the Novice Round brackets and receive a $20 prize for making it in. The IndieGoGo campaign will remain open until after the end of the Open Round, and so final prize amounts for all other rounds will not be announced until the completion of fundraising. All prizes will be awarded in September after the completion of the tournament.
*** Fine Print ***
* By submitting an entry to NATA 2014, you agree to allow NATA and its organizers to use your material to promote the contest and use it for possible calendars and other merchandise.
* All entrants must have a paypal or the ability to receive a check in the mail in order to claim their prizes.
* The final Champion of Animation at the completion of the contest must create an illustrated image of themselves interacting with planet Earth, as is NATA tradition to document their victory with such an image on the NATA website.
Good Luck!!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:46:52

cool

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:49:04

Let the procrastination begin.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:49:42

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:51:23

Let's start this!

Hello, Hola, Bonjour

Yeah, that's it. Those are all the ways I can say hello. I don't know anymore languages.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:51:49

I can totally work with this theme, should be fun :3

Can't wait to see what comes from this year, and good luck everyone! :D

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:52:11

Good theme! Lets do this, good luck to everyone!!

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-02 23:55:48

Round 1 starts!!

FIGHT

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 00:10:41

Well, I have an idea I'm happy with :3 This should be interesting.

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 01:30:25

Hyped to finally try this out!

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 04:24:45

Hell yes, I'm sorta uneasy because I feel i might not do it again and get so close I hope you like my submission this year. :( Ima will do my best.

Animation I want to be the Best Fucker.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 06:49:49

Exciting! Good luck everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 07:42:52

Let's get animating.

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 08:36:24

Just woke up. Cool theme. Good luck all!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 09:04:58

If you need a voice actress, feel free to send me a message! Good luck everyone!

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 09:18:25

Good luck to all participants!

May the deadlines be forever in your favor.

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 09:26:38

Oh hi wow what is this

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 09:27:29

My pc just broke yesterday, but that ain't gonna stop me!

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 10:22:31

hey

poops

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 10:25:29

If anyone needs a voice actor for NATA, don't hesitate to hit me up.

E

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 10:49:46

Hey guys, I'm not going to be entering this year, but if anyone needs music I might be able to help with that!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 11:22:52

At 5/3/14 10:49 AM, Pahgawk wrote: Hey guys, I'm not going to be entering this year, but if anyone needs music I might be able to help with that!

Wait what? oh man I was really looking forward to some of your stuff, you have such great stories!

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 11:38:58

Really interesting theme and easy to come up with an idea for it. I think I'll take part into the open round.

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:08:37

At 5/3/14 11:22 AM, KameStudios wrote:
At 5/3/14 10:49 AM, Pahgawk wrote: Hey guys, I'm not going to be entering this year, but if anyone needs music I might be able to help with that!
Wait what? oh man I was really looking forward to some of your stuff, you have such great stories!

Well, I'm planning on releasing something over the summer, but hopefully something longer and more thought-out than I'd be able to do if I tried to squish it into a month.

But anyway if anyone needs help with anything you can PM me or find me on skype or something!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:23:53

Yeay!! :D

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:32:00

I think it's high-time that dave gets put on the judges list, take off that "Tom Fulp" character, never even heard of that guy.

Also I'm probs gonna ask you for some tunes like 45 minutes before the deadline, dave.

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:33:22

At 5/3/14 12:08 PM, Pahgawk wrote:
At 5/3/14 11:22 AM, KameStudios wrote:
Well, I'm planning on releasing something over the summer, but hopefully something longer and more thought-out than I'd be able to do if I tried to squish it into a month.

But anyway if anyone needs help with anything you can PM me or find me on skype or something!

'
Can't wait for your big release this summer! Those are always amazing! I'll definitely be looking towards you for music though...

Hello, Hola, Bonjour

Yeah, that's it. Those are all the ways I can say hello. I don't know anymore languages.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:34:28

At 5/3/14 12:32 PM, dylan wrote:
I think it's high-time that dave gets put on the judges list, take off that "Tom Fulp" character, never even heard of that guy.

Also I'm probs gonna ask you for some tunes like 45 minutes before the deadline, dave.

This is the kind of music you get in 45 minutes (it just keeps getting better the longer you listen for!)

Seriously though if I happen to be around 45 minutes before the deadline and you need music that sounds like a pretty fun challenge

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:49:17

Writing a couple of scripts right now!

Hello, Hola, Bonjour

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A 14 - Open Round! 2014-05-03 12:52:26

Awesome I almost forgot about this, good luck to everyone.