00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JUBBAA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Something for NG's 20th anniversary

23,385 Views | 230 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

TroisNyx
I'm going to loosen the criterion a bit and say, even if it was just VA like Dot, Dot, Dot or There's a Man in the Woods, we could sample

the VA for the purposes of this long awesome track (and animation collab).
One animation per franchise, and ideally, one per animator.
So. The ones I can come up with are:
1) Tarboy
2) Dot Dot Dot
3) Oxbow Lakes or something perhaps more memorable from @TheWeebl and @Wonchop
4) Rubert da Koopa or something else that we can set to music, from @RicePirate
5) One of the Black Mages videos from @matt-likes-swords
6) Something IDEALLY CLEAN from @Sexual-Lobster
7) The Last of the Dashkin
8) Possibly one of the Animator vs Animation videos? I don't know how that'll work.
And in more recent times:
1) Hulkulele?
2) Make a Mon Out of You
3) There's a Man in the Woods
Any other recommendations? We're trying to compile, say a list of 20, possibly 30 little snippets from which we can inspire an audio-and-

animation collab along the lines of Nanairo no Nico Nico Douga.

We could come up with some audio classics to fill in for Larry and the Tankmen.

Whirlguy
+ Anything by butzboprud.
+ Hania music videos.
+ Original music videos that were posted here such as:
Blown Minded
Flairs - Truckers Delight
Personally, I'd divide the whole thing in years. Then you can take the best submissions of each year and create content based on those in a chronological order. That should provide at least 20 things. While this is the coolest thing to do in my opinion, it may also be way too much to deal with. Especially since a single submission could never summarize an entire year.

Troisnyx
if it's not enough to divide the thing in years, we can have like, a few seconds' worth of Animation 1, and a few more of Animation 2, and a few more of 3 and 4, if they're not enough to define their year on their own. Nanairo actually *combines* some of these fragments and memes, so we could do this.

I know Topic:NG is too vague; I was thinking more of Topic: NG's 20th Birthday Celebrations. But that, too, might be too vague to some...

squidly
Well, limit it to things written in "History of the Portal?"
Maybe we can organize it to different years, with, for example, people doing Cat Dynamics for 1996. Really, the hardest part would be doing the first few years, as not much happened. It could also be cool to see the pictures get more complicated or something, maybe to a callback parade of artists popular in that time. It'd be cool to contact allstars like TheSwain and see if they're interested.
It could also be us, the current generation, paying tribute. So many options!

snickity
How about "There she is!!" "Dad's at Work" hotdiggedydemon, Nightwayfarer, Fleckogold etc ?

Whirlguy
If we end up going with the CTSG idea (which in that case it probably needs a name change), then I have some ideas on how to incorporate other portals within the menu. The menu would be similar in that it scrolls to different locations. That way it could easily lead it to an art gallery. As for games, I was thinking an arcade would be perfect. People could then pick several different games similar to the games from Ludum Dare 31, which all had to be on one screen. The characters throughout the menu wouldn't portray the animators, like last time.

Instead, they would be Newgrounds mascots and characters from popular cartoons. You can make them talk by clicking on them. Wouldn't it be cool to involve voice actors as well? Oh, and also medals should be added to assure that everything will be seen.
I guess in order for this to work, we need at least one more organizer and split up in teams. It starts with the audio, and will be organized by one person. This should take about a week to complete. Anyone who didn't get to participate could still make an endless handbag loop and tag it with "ctsg2015" or something like that. It would be wise to use tagging for art as well. In the meantime we could get another organizer to set up a thread for all the game developers, and another for the art portal. Their time stretches until the compilation date. Once the song is finished, it will be cut up in parts so animators can all start working at the same time. By the time this happens, the compiler has already started working on a menu. Animators who go left out of the collab could then still participate by animating interactive Newgrounds characters to fill up the scenery. Voice actors are contacted during this time, which should be a couple of weeks before the deadline. It might be a good idea to assign yet another organizer, so as to bring as many voice actors together as possible. And then as a finishing touch, sound effects are added and randomized endless handbag loops will play in the background.
The filesize will be huge haha.

TroisNyx
My understanding is, once the list of animation classics is compiled, then it'll be the musicians' turn. I've been involved in musical collabs where you had to do one coherent piece from start to finish, so this will be no different. We'll set a BPM counter, and each of us will work on say, a minute of the piece. Maybe less?
Once the audio is done, the animation leg will start. Those who are in on this will hear the audio file and take it in. We'll put a mention on which seconds are from which films, and those which aren't from films (as a sort of filler for films without music), the animators can be free to decide what to put in there. Then, we try and do a coherent start-to-finish job.

Whirlguy
I like everything you're saying here, except one minute for every musician is entirely too much. Maybe these collaborations could inspire you:
CTSG2 - Morphin' Madness by Rig
CTSGAE- Blended Awesomeness by SolusLunes

How about we get animators to sample audio from those toons? They could do a quick remix, similar to this:
[Jay T] - Poundcake! by AetherNG

it's much easier to synchronize video to audio, instead of doing it the other way around. Overall it'll be easier on electronic musicians, the animators and of course the compiler. BPM doesn't mean much in the world of animation, and it's really hard to make the animations pop without knowing what audio it is synchronized to.

I think everything that marks an era should get a chance. We'll inevitably involve strawberry clock, so why not give other crews a chance? Probably not all of them though. Maybe some forum jokes should be involved as well, such as bedn and all your base. And definitely a couple of highlights from the lives of our admins. Such as marriages, pregnancies, the beginning of behemoth, the greatest meetups, and more of such stuff.
It's probably best to focus on the positive, even though stuff like the livecorpse incident were pretty big news.

WhiteLightning
I have an idea for the rainbow-bleeding uber collab!
This is a video that was submitted in 2009:
Everything by Everyone by thewax70
I always really liked it, and I think it would be really cool to do something similar for the 20th anniversary, but BIGGER.
Way bigger.
My idea is that we first collect a list of every animator we can who would like to animate their character. If Ican get some more prominent Newgrounds residents involved, they could maybe do a more detailed piece, but I think we should get a LOT of people, super popular or not, to at least do an animation of their characters in a symbol that I can then work into a full video somewhere.
We'd need to get some music pros to make an awesome track in the background, and I then I can come up with a way to put them all together into an epic Newgrounds music video.
We could even get artists in on it for some awesome backgrounds.
What do you guys think? Sound fun? I'm totally up for managing the collaboration - I'd just need to collect pieces from everyone.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-27 22:38:59

Troisnyx
There's going to have to be a bit of an underlying uniformity between all these somehow.

some of these fragments can be combined, sort of. At least that's what I imagine; it may not be advised though.

Endless Handbag can be made as background music, because there's a sub-melody (remixes have added melodies). That much, I remember.

Whirlguy
Throughout the entire song? That could work I guess. In that case, everyone involved would just follow the same 8 notes, as they add stuff of their own.

maybe something from telebubby funland could be used?

megamanx1900
changing the design of the site back to the original NG for a day would be pretty neat or having a icon on the top of the screen that would allow a user to browse threw the different designs of NG starting from 1999-2001-2004-2006-2008-2012 and maybe 1995 using the old t.fulp@fast.net.

Whirlguy
There's 2 ways the the art forums may contribute to this project:
1. Artists make individual art that may be "hung" in an art gallery.
2. Artists collab with animators, so as to create backgrounds for their animations.

ShireSpeare
Well as far as point two goes. An animator can do the linework and pass it to someone who can paint and shade in external programs like photoshop/SAI. Or the animator can give an extreme rough and maybe a description of what environment the scene takes place and leave the details/colouring to the interpretation of the artist that's finalizing the background.

Basically we need the idea/concept/story first. Writers/everybody else willing to brainstorm come up with the idea. Distribute parts of the story over the amount of animators available. They make quick animatics strictly for timing purposes. From there you can anticipate the length. If it's too long, you can cut out some parts from the story. Next are the backgrounds that are needed, which could be done as point 2 by illustraters/artists. Musicans could make a remix/remaster (from what i understand of older ng tracks) or create original songs. Somewhat to the length of the collab. Not really sure about the coders yet.
It will definitely take some time to manage, but this way everybody has a part. And you can establish early on if there is too much work so you can cut back and save time.

TroisNyx
So basically.... the idea I had for animators and musicians, as in Newgrounds' Nanairo, we extend it to artists then? (is this what we're aiming for here, @Whirlguy?)
The musicians would have to start first though, if this were to go as planned. We have to decide what our Flash Portal history music / Audio Portal history music medley is going to be, then have the musicians do their track, and THEN move it to artists and animators, who will be working side by side to do this thing.

Whirlguy
We would start off by observing the history of NG. A bunch of music genres are then chosen to "describe" these chronological eras. The idea eventually goes right to the audio forums. Once the product is finished, the song is given to the animation forums. The animation is just one part of the collab. Several different project organizers will be assigned for Audio, Animation, Games, Art, and Voice Acting. Many of these spots are still up for grabs. A menu will be made by the collab compiler, where all of these projects can be viewed.

TricycleLord
I was thinking for the art portal/forum instead of doing just a flood of individual pieces which lets be honest has been done before. We should instead combine our works and piece them together into one large newgrounds 20th anniversary art mural. It might be allot more work but if theirs one thing I know about the people of newgrounds is that we can get shit done. And don't you think the 20th anniversary deserves something special.

Whirlguy
For fear that the collab may grow into something way too big, it is wise if game developers did not use any music in their projects. Sound effects are fine though. In fact, I strongly recommend programmers to work with sound designers! Games should have a filesize restriction and it is also detrimental we decide on universal dimensions and frame speed for this project, as well as deadlines for each individual portal contribution (I recommend giving contributors a small window of time. We can always extend if necessary). The art portal is likewise going to need rules for dimensions, and of course a theme! I like how Jazza's contests involve themes. I thought it would be funny to have everyone paint a portrait of Tom Fulp (The Day Keanu Stood Still much?). It would be a bit one-sided though. As for audio, anyone who contributes to the song gets 9 bars to work with. One bar may be used as an intro to their song, the other 8 bars are the actual song. Contributors may not compile the song by themselves. The appointed organizer is in charge of compiling/mastering. As for the animation, I'm still not sure whether we should allow people to use sound effects.
I should point out that it will be necessary to leave both the animation organizer and a programmer (most likely the appointed games organizer) in charge of compilation. Both of them share responsibility for the appearance and functionality of the entire project.

There should be another bubble that says "voice acting" and it points directly at the compilation bubble. The organizer's job for now is to gather as many other voice actors together as possible. By the time we end up compiling this thing, I'd like to have a menu with iconic NG characters in them. Clicking them is supposed to make them talk ;)

[How would games be fitted into this collab though? I am very curious....]
They will be mini games. Details are still open for discussion. I'm pretty sure it's doable, although I don't think I've ever seen a collab with several tiny minigames before.

TharosTheDragon
t sounds like Whirlguy is talking about having a collaboration of multiple games put together, like in John Cooney's Four Second Firestorm.
I don't know if this is ideal. For one thing, I'm not really anticipating a lot of interested coders. For another, the game portion of the collaboration is likely to overshadow the rest of it in that case. I think it would be better to interweave the code with the rest of the collaboration somehow, like in my art collab game Lil' Jose's Build-a-Bot.
Games often use a lot of assets. A simple game might have changing backgrounds, and randomized projectiles. I'm envisioning some kind of art cannon that shoots out little pieces of art. Does that sound cool? What else might be good? I'd like to keep it simple. A brawler where each piece of art can be used as a weapon like in Larry and the Gnomes might be a little much, unless a coder chimes in with a brawler engine already built.
Magic spells that change art into other art?
I know animators like to do their own thing and make self-contained movies, but any animated assets that can be put into a game would be great.

Hey, does anyone wanna make like a parody of the 20th Century Fox intro but have it be "20th Anniversary Newgrounds" with tanks shining searchlights out of their cannons?

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-27 22:39:25

Whirlguy
If we do end up doing this with only one programmer, we might as well throw the "simple game" concept out of the window. Lil' Jose's Build-a-Bot is an awesome game and I love how it involves the art portal. Then again, I think it goes against the initial idea of the collab to feature only one game developer. Lots of people flock to game jams. This may be because there's prize money involved, but either way, I think Tom's advertising could help this thing move forward. I've noticed 6 programmers have already shown interest in this thread so far. Entries of Ludum Dare 31 are a great example of what I'm going for here. Small games can be made in little time and are probably easier to compile as well. It's a win-win if you ask me. I don't worry about any aspects overshadowing other parts of the collab either. The medals I plan to use should lure people into checking out everything. For example: People may spend 2 minutes on a minigame, killing 50 enemies to get that achievement they want, and move on to the next thing. I should note that playing games won't be the only way to get medals. Clicking characters, checking art, watching credits and watching the animation should get people a medal as well.

TharosTheDragon
One game indeed often takes many developers, programmers and otherwise. It's more than possible to have multiple coders share coding responsibilities for one game. That might even allow for a somewhat more complicated game.
I know that has downsides because of the communication issues, especially in this type of situation. So multiple games might be better. But you need to remember that games are collaborations in and of themselves. So, like in a game jam, perhaps each game could have a team with artists, etc.
Also, I hope we can find some way to interweave all of it together. Otherwise, it might as well be separate submissions highlighted in a collection or series.
And we should be sure that whoever's compiling the fla has the most recent version of Flash out of everyone involved.

Whirlguy
Also, I was thinking the games would deliberately be made too short to be proper stand-alone submissions. An example could be an easy puzzle game with only 5 stages. Players would beat the game within a few minutes (imagine the reviews on that one, lol). But for this collab it could totally work! Less bug catching too, probably.

RealFaction
I already replied to this but eureka, i think i have it! It will have a video game theme individuals making game themed music inspired by any artwork but leaning more on video game themed stuff, and there will be "level music", "boss music", "bonus round music" as if it was a soundtrack for a game. Newgrounds felt more like that theme in older times, it still sort of does but not quite as much. I think that would be the perfect tribute to the cause :)

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-27 23:10:33

I don't mean to get in the way of your momentum, Whirlguy, but we're starting a really big project so I wanna make sure we get everything set up right in the beginning. In carpentry we have a saying. Measure twice, cut once.

At 1/24/15 08:36 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Interweaving eh? That's a good idea! I guess we'd have to add some sort of theme then.

Actually, a theme still doesn't elevate it above separate games in the same collection. What I mean by interweaving is interconnecting them in a way that can only be done if they're in the same submission. Possibilities for this?

- A shared element that's the same in each minigame, so if it's like an Easter egg you find or do in each minigame the main game will keep track, like in Newgrounds Illuminatimas.
- Unlock stuff by beating or getting a high score in each minigame, like in Nintendo's Game & Watch Gallery series.
- Go through the wall of one minigame and you're in another minigame, kind of like Mega Mash but with different screens.
- A hub minigame that accesses the other minigames. If we're going for Newgrounds history, each minigame could be like a room in Pico's School and you have to beat them to advance in the hub minigame.

As we're incorporating music from NG's history, why not games? Anything by Tom Fulp is a classic, of course. Also anything mentioned on the NG history page. And certainly any Tank Award winners. I was thinking about whether to count contributions from the geniuses over at Armor Games, like jmtb02 and the-exp, but it seems like as good as those submissions are they sort of distract from things that are more purely Newgrounds.

Should we ask people to provide lists of games/movies/characters/etc. that they think are iconic enough to be included in this?

At 1/27/15 11:10 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: I don't mean to get in the way of your momentum, Whirlguy, but we're starting a really big project so I wanna make sure we get everything set up right in the beginning. In carpentry we have a saying. Measure twice, cut once.

It's okay, I really appreciate all this work you did! I saw a lot of different ideas in this thread, but nobody seemed to be sure on what to do. By focusing on the pragmatic part of this project, I kind of lost sight of the initial ideas people came up with. I'll let you know what I think of them, as soon as I've read them all.

Actually, a theme still doesn't elevate it above separate games in the same collection. What I mean by interweaving is interconnecting them in a way that can only be done if they're in the same submission. Possibilities for this?
- A shared element that's the same in each minigame, so if it's like an Easter egg you find or do in each minigame the main game will keep track, like in Newgrounds Illuminatimas.

Sounds cool. So your actions are stored and may unlock new possibilities?

- Unlock stuff by beating or getting a high score in each minigame, like in Nintendo's Game & Watch Gallery series.

There's my answer. I like this a lot!

- Go through the wall of one minigame and you're in another minigame, kind of like Mega Mash but with different screens.

So it won't be so you jump through multiple game areas, but advance to a new screen instead? Still sounds rather tricky. I'm not much of a game developer, but I do a bit of amateur programming in my spare time. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing a project where several different scripts interact with eachother, but if you think you can manage, by all means! This seems like a lot of fun!

- A hub minigame that accesses the other minigames. If we're going for Newgrounds history, each minigame could be like a room in Pico's School and you have to beat them to advance in the hub minigame.

Sounds awesome, I love it!

As we're incorporating music from NG's history, why not games? Anything by Tom Fulp is a classic, of course. Also anything mentioned on the NG history page. And certainly any Tank Award winners. I was thinking about whether to count contributions from the geniuses over at Armor Games, like jmtb02 and the-exp, but it seems like as good as those submissions are they sort of distract from things that are more purely Newgrounds.

Probably yeah. I'm guessing those guys have some pretty tight schedules too.

Should we ask people to provide lists of games/movies/characters/etc. that they think are iconic enough to be included in this?

Yeah, good idea! I could copy and paste some submissions, seeing as I already did a lot of research. I'm not too knowledgeable on memorable games though. I tend to miss a lot of them.

These are some great ideas man! :)

BBS Signature

At 1/27/15 10:37 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: Ideas By Users: Part 1
Newbie97

His idea is for the entire community to create content tagged with "ng20th", which would then be screened at the NGHQ, where a giant party would be held. That's not really in our power to decide. Everything else kind of builds on the same idea. I really like the idea of competitive portal teams though. It's kind of like a game show!

OneFineGentleman

He offers to write an intro that honors the history of Newgrounds. I'm not sure if he alone should do that, but maybe we could get like 20 writers together, to write a short piece on their year of choice?

Deshiel

Came with the idea that people could remix the first 100 songs that ever hit the audio portal. @Troisnyx already put a lot of effort into getting this idea of the ground.

Oh-Sama

Came with the idea to draw NG users from their profile pictures. It doesn't seem like a good idea. Some users don't even have a suitable pictures, and it doesn't celebrate 20 years of Newgrounds very well either. Using Newgrounds users in a game has been done before too. Multiple times in fact.

M-Abrantes

M-Abrantes proposed a different working order: Writing > Voice Acting > Animation > Audio. This idea allows room for writers, but takes programmers out of the picture. There's also no telling how big each animation would be. For what it's worth, the idea is pretty good.

Troisnyx

She mentioned the first 100 audio submission covers will be turned into a playlist. I'm not really sure what she meant there, maybe she meant a mix. Anyway, she mentioned someone will be needed to arrange appropriate sound effects. It might be useful to have someone like that around indeed. I'm thinking @Rig maybe? games will obviously need sound effects, and the menu too, probably. I'm not sure whether the animation should have any sound effects though. She had another idea for an art gallery with tributes to submissions/mascots/anniversary/admins/etc. This seems like one of the more practical thing to do, in terms of art.

M-Abrantes

His idea was to do something similar to the Illuminati Christmas Collab and Newgrounds references. Not a bad idea! We could hide angryfaic, like in NG Office Adventure.

Troisnyx

Best case scenario it doesn't bleed at all, but rainbows sound like the best option :P

Whirlguy

Such amazing ideas, this guy ;D

RealFaction

His idea was to find the oldest art submissions on Newgrounds and write music inspired by the visuals. He tried to find some way to blend this with the first 100 audio submissions idea by Troisnyx, and came up with an idea for a contest. I'm not sure if this still relates to the collab at all.

TricycleLord

TricycleLord had an idea for an art mural, which might be more fun than a gallery! I'm thinking Holiday Worm is the perfect example! Maybe @TricycleLord, @mattmatty or @foursnail would like to organize art for this collab?

w00tw00

He proposed that people from the audio portal should work together on one track. I concur.

Troisnyx

Decided to go ahead with the idea to create covers of the first 100 NG audio submissions, but also really likes the idea to have a big array of musicians working on one single track. She visualized this song along with a mash-up of animated NG history, and proposed that we should make a list of Newgrounds classics. There was also an idea for an "art portal flood", which wasn't exactly clear to me.

BBS Signature

At 1/27/15 07:34 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
Also, in an attempt to reel in more people, here's a shoutout to everyone (mostly musicians) who worked on CTSG projects in the past:
@SolidElectro

I'm up for anything of this sort. Was great fun 7 years ago when i first coined the ctsg game, obviously it long ago grew to become way more than i ever expected at the beginning with help from so many great people. I didn't think anybody would remember me. But here i am.

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-28 16:08:24

At 1/28/15 12:33 PM, SolidElectro wrote:
At 1/27/15 07:34 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
shoutout to everyone who worked on CTSG projects in the past
I'm up for anything of this sort.

Ditto!

BBS Signature

:@whirlguy

TricycleLord
TricycleLord had an idea for an art mural, which might be more fun than a gallery! I'm thinking Holiday Worm is the perfect example! Maybe @TricycleLord, @mattmatty or @foursnail would like to organize art for this collab?

I talked to Foursnail and mattmatty and they where both eager to help organize the art mural in honor of Newgrounds' 20th aniversary. If everyone agrees to this idea, would we be starting a new thread in the art forum? And if so, when should we start working on the new thread and the new project? Would we need a Mod's permission to start the project?

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-28 19:28:55

At 1/28/15 01:44 AM, RealFaction wrote: Why the repost of all these messages?

So that people can see all the "idea" posts in one place without having to read through all 6 pages. It's especially helpful to people just now joining the thread. I want everyone's ideas to be in the mix here so they're not unnecessarily repeated and so that new ideas can build off of them.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-28 22:13:11

So a new CTSG? I'll shake off the rust for that.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-01-29 07:34:29

At 1/28/15 04:08 PM, Catoblepas wrote:
I'm up for anything of this sort.
Ditto!

Awesome! Great to see you guys!

At 1/28/15 10:13 PM, Envy wrote: So a new CTSG? I'll shake off the rust for that.

Excellent!

At 1/28/15 05:33 PM, TricycleLord wrote: I talked to Foursnail and mattmatty and they where both eager to help organize the art mural in honor of Newgrounds' 20th aniversary. If everyone agrees to this idea, would we be starting a new thread in the art forum? And if so, when should we start working on the new thread and the new project? Would we need a Mod's permission to start the project?

That's great news! Yes, the idea should eventually spawn a thread in the art forums. There's no specifics on time and date yet. It wouldn't hurt to contact a mod about what you'll be doing, though I'm pretty sure it'll be just fine.

BBS Signature

At 1/27/15 10:38 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: Ideas By Users: Part 2

TroisNyx

She posted a list with animations that we could sample bits of audio from; for the collaborative song. I still think this is an excellent idea, and we should probably recommend anyone involved to use audio snippets from their era of choice.

Whirlguy

I came up with the idea to synchronize the song with Newgrounds history.

Troisnyx

Dividing the thing in years is not enough, she says. She prefers several animations (like 3 or 4) playing at once. But, not only is this hard to compile, it also requires adequate communication between users. It sounds very time consuming. Or not. I don't know, really.

squidly

squidly too, seems quite fond of this portal history animation. He proposes that we should contact popular users from the history of Newgrounds. Not a bad idea! Maybe we should make a list of such people and do a shoutout?

snickity

A couple of popular animations/users are mentioned. I've made note of these.

Whirlguy

I worked out how the CTSG concept could be expanded upon, by involving art, games and voice acting.

Troisnyx

She figures once we've done our history, we can get to work on the audio. The animation would start soon after that. Everyone was supposed to use samples from the before-mentioned portal entries, and gets 1 minute to create their piece of music. I just had to throw in an objection. It would easily span over 20 minutes that way!

Whirlguy

I think this moment signified my choice to do some research on the history of Newgrounds.

WhiteLightning

He came up with an idea that was based on Everything by Everyone. He'd like to see if we can get a bunch of popular artists together, to animate short scenes, featuring their own characters. Seeing as there's a slim chance we'll get these people to join, he decided that anyone should be able to join in with their own characters. Personally, I don't think his second idea could work out. It will cause a stream of characters we've never even seen before! As a result, it would also focus way too much on the present time. I very much prefer to honor NG history. The initial idea isn't too bad, if we give present-time animators a chance to animate these classic characters in their own style. I imagine the way we are headed right now will be similar to this.

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-01 17:28:12

I was hoping more people would chime in but we gotta move forward, I guess. Okay, so here's what I'm thinking.

The third interweaving idea I had isn't feasible so I'll throw it out, even though it's the epitome of games being interconnected. I think we can use the other three ideas, though. The hub game will be a recreation of Pico's School, but Pico can't proceed past obstacles without beating minigames, which take over the screen when he enters a classroom.

Collaborators will be encouraged to take inspiration from Tom Fulp's works that predate Pico's School, like Club a Seal, but any Newgrounds classic will do. Any classic characters or movies or music or whatever should be thrown in the mix. They will be instructed to make a minigame with no menu or preloader that has some kind of win condition and something beyond winning, like getting an extra high score or beating the level without taking damage. An achievement. Arcade-style games, flying shooters, toss games, launch games, top-down action, anything simple. They will be given a Teletubbie graphic to put in the game as a clickable Easter Egg. It can be given to them with a pre-coded API. People will be required to use AS3 so it all fits together. People can find their own teams, or if they want to be assigned to a team then I can be a matchmaker. The plan will be subject to change in case too few coders sign up. I'll ask for someone with Flash CS6 or CC to take charge of compiling the FLA and, if they're good, making the hub game as well, since I have CS4. If I were to make the hub game I'd have to pass it along and then the compiler would have to put it together with all the minigames and it would be messy, but that can be a fall-back plan. I'll offer to hand over the organizer role to the compiler, but if they don't want it then I can still keep that responsibility. It's also theoretically possible for me to compile the FLA if it just loaded the minigames in SWF format, but that would also be working pretty blind.

But I'm actually thinking we should make a thread before the collaborator sign-up thread asking people to say what they consider to be Newgrounds classics. Should we do that? Who wants to post it?

And here's another thing to throw out there. How do people feel about prize art? I imagine this would be controversial because if people are contributing artwork to this collab, they'll want it to be easily seen. What if after people contribute to the mural or the gallery or the music or whatever and they want to do a little more, their extra stuff could be unlockable in the game? Another thought: maybe the unlockables could be concept art and behind-the-scenes stuff. Artists could have their finished work be easily viewable, and their earlier stages be seen as a bonus.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-01 21:58:50

At 2/1/15 05:28 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: I was hoping more people would chime in but we gotta move forward, I guess. Okay, so here's what I'm thinking.

Me too. Intimidating chunks of text and all ):

The third interweaving idea I had isn't feasible so I'll throw it out, even though it's the epitome of games being interconnected. I think we can use the other three ideas, though. The hub game will be a recreation of Pico's School, but Pico can't proceed past obstacles without beating minigames, which take over the screen when he enters a classroom.

I really like this idea.

Collaborators will be encouraged to take inspiration from Tom Fulp's works that predate Pico's School, like Club a Seal, but any Newgrounds classic will do. Any classic characters or movies or music or whatever should be thrown in the mix. They will be instructed to make a minigame with no menu or preloader that has some kind of win condition and something beyond winning, like getting an extra high score or beating the level without taking damage. An achievement. Arcade-style games, flying shooters, toss games, launch games, top-down action, anything simple.

Yes, great examples!

They will be given a Teletubbie graphic to put in the game as a clickable Easter Egg. It can be given to them with a pre-coded API. People will be required to use AS3 so it all fits together.

Like the idea. Are you sure it should be a Teletubby?

People can find their own teams, or if they want to be assigned to a team then I can be a matchmaker. The plan will be subject to change in case too few coders sign up.

What if a programmer would rather work alone? Is that still possible?

I'll ask for someone with Flash CS6 or CC to take charge of compiling the FLA and, if they're good, making the hub game as well, since I have CS4. If I were to make the hub game I'd have to pass it along and then the compiler would have to put it together with all the minigames and it would be messy, but that can be a fall-back plan.

Heh, let's hope it doesn't get to that.
I'll offer to hand over the organizer role to the compiler, but if they don't want it then I can still keep that responsibility. It's also theoretically possible for me to compile the FLA if it just loaded the minigames in SWF format, but that would also be working pretty blind.
You mean importing an swf? You'd have to rewrite the code, right?

But I'm actually thinking we should make a thread before the collaborator sign-up thread asking people to say what they consider to be Newgrounds classics. Should we do that? Who wants to post it?

I'm not sure if asking that question is going to bear any fruits. The array of content built up over 20 years is huge. There's a risk the answers are either too diverse, or lacking. I think we're better off digging through portal history.

And here's another thing to throw out there. How do people feel about prize art? I imagine this would be controversial because if people are contributing artwork to this collab, they'll want it to be easily seen. What if after people contribute to the mural or the gallery or the music or whatever and they want to do a little more, their extra stuff could be unlockable in the game? Another thought: maybe the unlockables could be concept art and behind-the-scenes stuff. Artists could have their finished work be easily viewable, and their earlier stages be seen as a bonus.

I'm going to say no for now. There may be musicians, animators and possibly even programmers who feel the same way about their work, and filesize could easily become an issue. Nice idea, but it might be too early to think about implementing these options.

I did my share of research in January, so I'll share some portal content I came across. I'll refrain myself from posting most parodies or historic events/trends which were unrelated to Newgrounds. And please bear in mind that these submissions were special to the history of NG, purely from my own perspective. I'll probably come up short when it comes to popular games and audio. Anyway, here's a beginning:

[PRE-1999]
fast.net: Tom
fast.net: Wade
Assassin
Club A Seal
Beep Me, Jesus!
Cat Dynamics
Telebubby Funland

[1999]

[2000]

[2001]

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-02 19:48:38

At 2/1/15 09:58 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Like the idea. Are you sure it should be a Teletubby?

Nope. Just figured I should pick something. But as always, input is desired.

What if a programmer would rather work alone? Is that still possible?

Of course. But in case they want a team, we should make sure to ask artists and animators and sound people, when they're signing up, if they'd like to make game assets or just stick to non-interactive portions.

You mean importing an swf? You'd have to rewrite the code, right?

No, I mean loading the SWF at runtime using Actionscript and a Loader object.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-03 01:38:09

At 1/27/15 07:34 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Also, in an attempt to reel in more people, here's a shoutout to everyone (mostly musicians) who worked on CTSG projects in the past:
@Father-Of-Death

WOAH YOU REMEMBERED LIL 'OLE ME!?!?!?

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-03 15:57:33

At 2/2/15 07:48 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote:
At 2/1/15 09:58 PM, Whirlguy wrote: You mean importing an swf? You'd have to rewrite the code, right?
No, I mean loading the SWF at runtime using Actionscript and a Loader object.

Oh hahaha, yeah that makes a lot more sense :P

At 2/3/15 01:38 AM, Father-of-Death wrote:
At 1/27/15 07:34 AM, Whirlguy wrote: @Father-Of-Death
WOAH YOU REMEMBERED LIL 'OLE ME!?!?!?

Of course I do. Your VSTs were da shit ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-06 08:22:55

Hey @Troisnyx, I hope you're doing okay! Since I haven't been hearing from you in a while, I was wondering if you're still up for hosting the audio? To be honest, I hoped the song would be finished by now. Please let me know if you don't like the idea anymore, or don't want to be the organizer. I'm still very motivated to get this idea off the ground, but we're running out of time!

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-06 10:28:36

damn this is gonna be a big ass project and i would love to be part of it! i make music so if you think im of good use pls tell me and im your guy :)

https://soundcloud.com/novaparallax

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-06 19:02:56

At 2/6/15 03:32 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 2/6/15 08:22 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Hey @Troisnyx, I hope you're doing okay! Since I haven't been hearing from you in a while, I was wondering if you're still up for hosting the audio? To be honest, I hoped the song would be finished by now. Please let me know if you don't like the idea anymore, or don't want to be the organizer. I'm still very motivated to get this idea off the ground, but we're running out of time!
You do realize a big project like this takes time and people have busy lives....patience. There is plenty of time....

Sorry folks. I have not been well. In addition, I'd whisked off to London and Hatfield over the last two days because we'd planned the trip in advance. Travelling while sick is not a nice thing to do.

I wouldn't mind being a contributor, but I don't know if I can organise this. I will gladly give myself to be part of this collab, but I don't think I can take the pressures of being an organiser yet. Like if there's a panel of organisers, great, I wouldn't mind taking part. But I don't think I can handle this alone. Sickness and whatnot getting the better of me.

At 2/6/15 03:32 PM, RealFaction wrote: You do realize a big project like this takes time and people have busy lives....patience. There is plenty of time....

I'd like to remind you there's more to this collab than audio alone. We've already put a month's worth of time and effort into making plans.

At 2/6/15 07:02 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Sorry folks. I have not been well. In addition, I'd whisked off to London and Hatfield over the last two days because we'd planned the trip in advance. Travelling while sick is not a nice thing to do.

Aww. I hope you had fun on your trip either way.

I wouldn't mind being a contributor, but I don't know if I can organise this. I will gladly give myself to be part of this collab, but I don't think I can take the pressures of being an organiser yet. Like if there's a panel of organisers, great, I wouldn't mind taking part. But I don't think I can handle this alone. Sickness and whatnot getting the better of me.

I'm sorry to hear about that Troisnyx! You don't have to host this thing if you don't want to. I'm grateful you made this thread at all! Okay then, I guess I'll go host this things in the audio forums then. Hope to see you there soon :)

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-14 06:32:28

what animate

Something for NG's 20th anniversary

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-14 14:16:05

At 2/14/15 06:32 AM, Catoblepas wrote: what animate

is that who i think it is

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-15 23:48:55

All right, so we need a new music organizer. Here's hoping one of the musicians reads this and chimes in.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-18 06:34:57

I can make some crappy fanart if there aren't too many people doing it already.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-18 08:52:14

At 2/18/15 07:07 AM, RealFaction wrote: Just seeing this collab halting in a sense with no one to take over audio has my heart broken because although my contest is separate, I want to see this collab happen. If it stops for too long no one will want to keep going I wouldn't think.

Oh oooppss...

At 2/8/15 04:31 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Okay then, I guess I'll go host this things in the audio forums then. Hope to see you there soon :)

I started a thread in the audio portal, just minutes later after I made that post, making a shoutout to everyone even remotely interested in joining. Although I do admit, I should have probably made mention of it here as well...

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-25 14:33:05

Yous guys

Is this still happening?

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-25 14:51:37

At 2/25/15 02:33 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: Yous guys

Is this still happening?

It is. @Whirlguy has already started the audio leg of it. Once this is done, the animation and art and stuff will kick in. I'm not hosting, that is all. Sickness and other concerns, you see.

Response to Something for NG's 20th anniversary 2015-02-25 15:13:21

At 2/25/15 02:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: It is. Whirlguy has already started the audio leg of it. Once this is done, the animation and art and stuff will kick in. I'm not hosting, that is all. Sickness and other concerns, you see.

I do see. Thanks

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature