00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of March we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 77 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in April!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday

28,303 Views | 102 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Today marks the start of the latest Construct 2 Game Jam! You have until June 15th to make and upload a game with Construct 2, based on this theme:

The Future: 2030

You can make any game you want but think hard about what the world will be like in 2030 and build your game in that universe. You can tackle themes such as environment, employment, technology, communication, politics, war, space, etc. It's far enough into the future for some interesting things to happen, but not so far off to be completely unpredictable. Most of us will still be around in 2030 and it will be fun to look back and see what predictions people made with their games.

If you aren't familiar with Construct 2, it is game making software for Windows that allows you to create games without prior programming experience, then deploy them to the web as HTML5, or to Wii U, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and more! This is a great opportunity for aspiring game developers to make their first game.

There will be prizes:

1st - Business Licenses + $400 cash
2nd - Business Licenses + $300 cash
3rd - Business Licenses + $200 cash
4-9th - Personal Edition Licenses
15 Runner-Ups: $25 USD Amazon Vouchers from Scirra

If you've never tried Construct 2, try the tutorials!

In our previous jam, artist Dylan made his very first game, a piece on alzheimer's and has received lots of great attention as a result!

One game I've wanted to make involves a detective story over the backdrop of our growing sharing society. On sites like couchsurfing.org, your reputation impacts how easily you can find a place to sleep. Imagine if your global reputation stat determined whether you could borrow a car, sleep in someone's home, borrow tools, etc. As you are forced into decisions that harm your reputation, your tasks become more difficult to complete and you commit more desperate acts to achieve your goals. The sharing society isn't the story of the game - it is the environment where the story happens to be unfolding. I have no idea if that game would be any good but I just wanted to toss it out there to get people thinking about how their future world would impact the characters in their game, whether it's a story adventure, something experimental, or a straight up action platformer.

We look forward to playing your games! Tag your game with "construct2030jam" so we can find it!

***UPDATE*** Forgot to mention, you can work with a team! Also it would be awesome to see some artists from NG team up with people and provide some futuristic backdrops. Feel welcome to offer up your expertise in this thread!

All this talk about the future... Time to explore the past!

Throwback Thursday

Check out some classics from this week in NG history! Ranked newest to oldest going back to 2003, still need a better way for me to access 2000-2002. There's a lot of Pico stuff because this is the week of Pico Day.

Movies

Games

Old submissions need love to! You could even write some reviews and light up the feeds of authors who haven't been as active lately.

Monthly Voting Time!

Check your account page to see if you are on the panel to select the Best of April!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:15:59

I've got to check this out for sure!
It'll be fun :D

Good luck guys!

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:17:32

The theme sounds pretty interesting.
I wish good luck to all contestants.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:27:33

Mmm, this might be my chance to finally jump over to something new. I was either going to go with Unity or Construct. Might enter for this... We'll see :)

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:49:26

Congratulations in advance to all the runner-up placers.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:52:27

The Future: 2030

Wow! What a broad theme, it can be adapted into almost any game idea! I suppose the more thought provoking we are with the theme the better.
Your idea is very interesting indeed, and something like that could actually happen in the future, like an ebay rating/rep but one rep score applies to all aspects of your life.
That game idea would deserve a lot of in depth development though, not really possible in a month and a bit, especially for once person.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 11:57:38

At 5/1/14 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: The Future: 2030

The problems of the future, today!

Check out the NRC / Hexa #58 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 12:03:25

Time to dust off the ol' left brain.

This sounds fun.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 12:18:48

So it begins!

BBS Signature

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 12:41:00

Time to get reacquainted with my old friend Flash. Best of luck to everyone!

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 13:27:35

At 5/1/14 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: As you are forced into decisions that harm your reputation, your tasks become more difficult to complete and you commit more desperate acts to achieve your goals.

Papers, Please: Couch-Surfing Edition.

Couches, Please?

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 15:22:42

For some reason the download link for C2 on their site isn't working for me.. weird. Will check back later. I'm really excited how that program will turn out compared to Stencyl. Right now I'm working on another Stencyl game, so I hope I can find the time to do both.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 15:38:48

This theme seems like a pretty awesome one, it seems as if I might have to participate.

In 2030 nothing will have changed apart from the fact that everyone will be wearing green trenchcoats.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 16:01:40

At 5/1/14 11:52 AM, HenerzH wrote: That game idea would deserve a lot of in depth development though, not really possible in a month and a bit, especially for once person.

BLARG I forgot to mention, you can team up with people and it would be great to see artists from NG contribute some futuristic landscapes!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 16:07:11

One of the first Google results:

http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2030.htm

-Global population is reaching crisis point
-Desalination has exploded in use
-"Smart grid" technology is widespread in developed nations
-The USA is declining as a world power
-The majority of new vehicles are plug-in electric, or hybrids
-AI is widespread
-Depression is the number one global disease burden
-The Muslim population has increased significantly
-India becomes the most populous country on Earth
-Full weather modeling is perfected
-Orbital space junk is becoming a major problem for space flight
-Jupiter Icy Moon Explorer (JUICE) reaches the Jovian system
-The Lockheed Martin SR-72 enters service
-A new generation of military helicopters
-Hyper-fast crime scene analysis
-Emerging job titles of today

Just some stuff to help people get ideas.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 16:19:50

At 5/1/14 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: One game I've wanted to make involves a detective story over the backdrop of our growing sharing society. On sites like couchsurfing.org, your reputation impacts how easily you can find a place to sleep.

(snip)

That is an excellent idea, Tom. Go do it!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 17:38:18

@TomFulp

I have a game that I started last month (I'm not very far on it), was wondering if I can continue working with that one or do I need to develop the whole game during the jam period?

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 17:43:52

At 5/1/14 05:38 PM, Russpuppy wrote: @TomFulp

I have a game that I started last month (I'm not very far on it), was wondering if I can continue working with that one or do I need to develop the whole game during the jam period?

It's a sort of grey area because we don't want people to simply make changes to existing games, but considering it's something you haven't released and you are early in development, I suppose it would be ok if you kept rolling with changes based on the theme. The point of the jam is more about being motivated to make a game vs making a game under a tight deadline, so if it's good motivation to complete your game, mission accomplished. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 20:04:02

Other predictions around that time frame have been Soylent Green with the year 2022. Terminator's future was 2029. Blade Runner was 2019. Demolition Man 2032. A grim future with cannibalism, killer robots, and Taco Bell.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-01 21:33:01

At 5/1/14 08:04 PM, JeremyLokken wrote: Other predictions around that time frame have been Soylent Green with the year 2022. Terminator's future was 2029. Blade Runner was 2019. Demolition Man 2032. A grim future with cannibalism, killer robots, and Taco Bell.

It's like the man said, "Problems of the future, today!" Our pets and farm animals have been eating each other for decades now, the US already lost the biggest economy award, and Tuberculosis Thursday is now preceded by Camel Pox Friday, and the stuff from Outbreak is jumping countries in Africa, and with no gung-ho Morgan Freeman (or a Pokemonkey) to single out as the bad guy...

And does anyone know what happened to western Canadian Flash artist http://celx-requin.newgrounds.com/ ? Maybe the rush of panic stricken Americans running North, held him up? Seems like inviting him to the past two Pico Days, might have had the reverse effect on his morale, and /or chattiness.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 00:19:05

Are there more specific rules for the jam? For example, can we use creative commons music, ripped assets, etc, or everything (absolutely everything) must be made by us.

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 03:04:38

Oh yeah!!! Great theme!!

We will definitely participate! Good luck everyone! :)

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 04:01:43

I'll definitely participate in this jam. Good luck everyone!

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 05:16:58

BLARG I forgot to mention, you can team up with people and it would be great to see artists from NG contribute some futuristic landscapes!

Wasn't trying to be negative, sorry, just saying I think that game idea is worth more than a months work, teams are welcome to go for it.

That would be seriously awesome if I could get some help from an artist to create futuristic landscapes and objects.

You are saying you can contribute more than one game if you are working alone and on a team, does that also mean for example I being one person could submit more than one game, or only if I am on another team or something, it's a hypothetical question really, I am tempted to change a game I've been working on recently to match the theme, but it's probably better to also or just make a game from scratch with the theme in mind.

Also before I get going on this, my main concern is, if there any limitations to the games? For example is there a size limit, on the Construct arcade site games must be 10mb or under, and can only be 800 pixels wide, do you have similar and/or other limitations?

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 08:55:08

At 5/1/14 08:04 PM, JeremyLokken wrote: Other predictions around that time frame have been Soylent Green with the year 2022. Terminator's future was 2029. Blade Runner was 2019. Demolition Man 2032. A grim future with cannibalism, killer robots, and Taco Bell.

http://myfox8.com/2014/04/27/taco-bell-tests-new-upscale-restaurant/

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 08:57:00

At 5/2/14 12:19 AM, soad-zombi wrote: Are there more specific rules for the jam? For example, can we use creative commons music, ripped assets, etc, or everything (absolutely everything) must be made by us.

You can use assets you have permission to use, although for artwork it would be preferred to team up with an artist to create original art, vs using public domain assets. For music, there are tons of musicians on NG who would love to have their songs featured or even create original music - if you find one you like, you can PM them and ask!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 09:00:10

At 5/2/14 05:16 AM, HenerzH wrote: You are saying you can contribute more than one game if you are working alone and on a team, does that also mean for example I being one person could submit more than one game, or only if I am on another team or something, it's a hypothetical question really, I am tempted to change a game I've been working on recently to match the theme, but it's probably better to also or just make a game from scratch with the theme in mind.

Also before I get going on this, my main concern is, if there any limitations to the games? For example is there a size limit, on the Construct arcade site games must be 10mb or under, and can only be 800 pixels wide, do you have similar and/or other limitations?

You can submit more than one game as an individual. Reskinning an existing game is frowned upon but if you have some partial game concepts done you could build from those, using the jam as motivation to make a finished game.

I can raise your upload limit if you run into one - I would aim for under 100 megs though. Dimensions break out of the page layout when they go past 910 or so, but we can support large dimensions.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct2 Jam Theme & TB Thursday 2014-05-02 10:23:15

I can raise your upload limit if you run into one - I would aim for under 100 megs though. Dimensions break out of the page layout when they go past 910 or so, but we can support large dimensions.

Thanks, that's great!

Are you referring to Zipped size or Un-zipped size?