00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scottistrash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

'How to make this sound?' thread

11,724 Views | 80 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-08-22 03:18:30

At 8/21/14 09:26 AM, Quarl wrote: How do I make my girlfriend sound like this?

Try harder.

BBS Signature

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-08-22 10:30:30

A friend showed me this site... (sounds like a scam mail)

http://wavepot.com/

Although learning chinese would take me less time than understanding the code, I remember there are some users of reaktor, synthedit etc here, so i share.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-08-23 00:45:53

It sounds like a combination of a snare and clap.
With a fast delay using just 3 or maybe 4 repetitions and a strong feedback on both (snare and clap), you can get a sound very similar to the one used in that song.

woah. thorough!

thanks! i'll have to try it tomorrow :)

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-25 19:28:36

How do I make this synth? If it helps I use FL Studio 11 (if video doesn't start at the time, it's at 7:48):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFCM0SKbnY#t=468

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-26 05:13:45

At 10/25/14 07:28 PM, goochmaster15 wrote: How do I make this synth? If it helps I use FL Studio 11 (if video doesn't start at the time, it's at 7:48):

Do you have Sytrus ?
If you do, there are two presets very similar to the sound you want, not exactly the same, but some small modifications will do the trick. In the Sytrus presets, look for this:
Short synth > Moogish and Synth string > Basic

I hope it's close enough to be useful.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-26 15:56:14

Do you have Sytrus ?
If you do, there are two presets very similar to the sound you want, not exactly the same, but some small modifications will do the trick. In the Sytrus presets, look for this:
Short synth > Moogish and Synth string > Basic

I hope it's close enough to be useful.

Many thanks! I'll try it when I get home!

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-28 03:28:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUGhJdfSuQ
On this old gem the beat break thingy around 0:55

I just want to see or know for educational purposes.

How do? Kick, record scratch, reverbed clap? With some more sounds in the little time to scratch does it's thing while a rising white noise plays? But i'm missing something else i know it.

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-30 03:59:40

At 10/28/14 03:28 AM, SOnoYa wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUGhJdfSuQ
On this old gem the beat break thingy around 0:55

I just want to see or know for educational purposes.

How do? Kick, record scratch, reverbed clap? With some more sounds in the little time to scratch does it's thing while a rising white noise plays? But i'm missing something else i know it.

Basically your questions are your answers. Just experiment and pitch up the drums if they are on a medium tuning. By the way i'm not sure what you meant with the scratching. There's no scratching at that part of the song, at least to my ears. :)

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-30 08:11:51

At 10/30/14 03:59 AM, MelkorMorgoth wrote: By the way i'm not sure what you meant with the scratching. There's no scratching at that part of the song, at least to my ears. :)

The scratch he's talking about is a turntable scratch, not a literal scratch sound.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-30 12:54:48

At 10/30/14 08:11 AM, jdagenet wrote:
At 10/30/14 03:59 AM, MelkorMorgoth wrote: By the way i'm not sure what you meant with the scratching. There's no scratching at that part of the song, at least to my ears. :)
The scratch he's talking about is a turntable scratch, not a literal scratch sound.

Of course he is! Still i haven't managed to hear it :/

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-30 16:34:06

At 10/30/14 12:54 PM, MelkorMorgoth wrote:

I hear it.

@SOnoYa It indeed sounds like a turntable scratch. If you want a similar effect you could try finding a fitting sample and load it in FL Scratcher to achieve that. Otherwise, going mad with any kind of filter on a bar of white noise also could get the job done.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-10-30 18:11:59

I'd recommend looking through Freesound's archive of free turntable sounds.

Another free alternative is to load up the SGM sound font and use the turntable sfx from the drum program.

At 10/30/14 04:34 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 10/30/14 12:54 PM, MelkorMorgoth wrote:
I hear it.

@SOnoYa It indeed sounds like a turntable scratch. If you want a similar effect you could try finding a fitting sample and load it in FL Scratcher to achieve that. Otherwise, going mad with any kind of filter on a bar of white noise also could get the job done.

Ha. Thank you guys so much. All messages received. I've never realized finding good samples could get so hard. And thanks for the idea LiquidOoze that idea may just help me with more than just this sound.

At 10/30/14 06:11 PM, jdagenet wrote: I'd recommend looking through Freesound's archive of free turntable sounds.

Another free alternative is to load up the SGM sound font and use the turntable sfx from the drum program.

And sampled turntable spins? Lol, that sounds almost unnatural yet worth a try. You, also have some good ideas.

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-11-01 00:47:01

At 10/30/14 06:11 PM, jdagenet wrote: I'd recommend looking through Freesound's archive of free turntable sounds.

And sampled turntable spins? Lol, that sounds almost unnatural yet worth a try. You, also have some good ideas.

It may be an unatural approach, but it's a typical approach.

There's no harm in digital sampling. Many musicians sample their sounds rather than try to create them themselves, especially when it comes to instruments like a guitar for example -- I think we all know that sampling a distortion guitar is certainly much better than using a distortion guitar software patch in a VST.

Point is, even though digital sampling isn't as popular today as it was in the late 80's - early 90's, there's nothing wrong with it.

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2015-03-21 16:23:00

How to make the synth at the beginning of Daft Punk's "Contact"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI5noh4OyXc

I have an assortment of synths that come with fl studio (harmless, harmor, sytrus, etc.), and I also have Massive. Any help is greatly appreciated!

At 3/21/15 04:23 PM, goochmaster15 wrote: How to make the synth at the beginning of Daft Punk's "Contact"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI5noh4OyXc

I have an assortment of synths that come with fl studio (harmless, harmor, sytrus, etc.), and I also have Massive. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Came pretty close using NI Massive. Start out with just the default saw-square wavetable and apply a Lowpass 4 filter. Set the resonance to about 30% and the cutoff at about 40%. Apply an envelope to the cutoff knob and set its attack to about 25%, decay to 50% and decay level to zero. Make the envelope on the cutoff reach to about 75%. From here you can pick any wavetable you want and fiddle around with the modulation oscillator a bit until you get it right. Here's what my interface looked like:

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2015-03-23 14:43:02

Came pretty close using NI Massive:

Thanks so much for going through the trouble! It's greatly appreciated!

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2015-03-23 20:47:20

At 3/22/15 06:45 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote:
At 2/7/14 06:13 PM, Mophead367 wrote: How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?
burial - night bus
Not too difficult. There are a few different sounds in this track. I'd recommend some kind of woodwind instrument like a flute or maybe even a bottle blow and then using a reverb tool in the effects and turning the dryness completely down.

I preferably use karmafx reverb and fl studio's reverb 2 for making sounds like that.

karmafx reverb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11IGLSlSa0

Have fun experimenting.

I already re-created it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/566565

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2015-04-09 19:07:23

Bumping this!

I would be pleased if somebody could tell me how this kind of sweep is made, because I'm getting pretty bored of my standard 'white noise with bp-filter' sweeps. I've once managed to create something that sounds kind of similar by automating some bands in PEQ2 but I never got to that 'sucking' sound. Can anyone help me?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

At 4/9/15 07:07 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Bumping this!

I would be pleased if somebody could tell me how this kind of sweep is made, because I'm getting pretty bored of my standard 'white noise with bp-filter' sweeps. I've once managed to create something that sounds kind of similar by automating some bands in PEQ2 but I never got to that 'sucking' sound. Can anyone help me?

white noise, pitch automate (or color or w/e your using to create white noise), LP filter sweep, flanger (low LFO) at the end - or maybe it was a phaser
let me know if that works - I'm kinda busy right now otherwise i'd have a go myself

Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2015-04-10 12:12:42

At 4/10/15 05:45 AM, AeroMusic wrote: white noise, pitch automate (or color or w/e your using to create white noise), LP filter sweep, flanger (low LFO) at the end - or maybe it was a phaser
let me know if that works - I'm kinda busy right now otherwise i'd have a go myself

Sorry didn't cut it, got me almost the same effect as what I normally do. Also the flanger at the end is of no importance.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature