00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy?

2,160 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do you think he is?...... Most users here would agree

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:21:19

His earlier stuff was good, like Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, and The Wedding Singer. But lately, he's been doing worse, and quickly.

He's not, but he's a pretty funny guy, or at least, he used to be.

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE

| I play a lot of Smash Bros.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.

Shaboogity.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:25:32

Punch-Drunk love is the only Adam Sandler movie made in the 21st century that deserves to be watched. The rest is trash and I, along with a ton of people, am tired of him just teaming up with his buddies to churn out shitty movies with razor thin plots.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:26:56

the best of fufnny

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:37:05

At 1/9/14 06:25 PM, ZJ wrote: Punch-Drunk love is the only Adam Sandler movie made in the 21st century that deserves to be watched. The rest is trash and I, along with a ton of people, am tired of him just teaming up with his buddies to churn out shitty movies with razor thin plots.

What about Click, 8 Crazy Nights or Mr. Deeds? No?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:50:33

At 1/9/14 06:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/9/14 06:25 PM, ZJ wrote: Punch-Drunk love is the only Adam Sandler movie made in the 21st century that deserves to be watched.

Reign Over Me was pretty good as well.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 18:56:36

At 1/9/14 06:18 PM, DragonBallDavid wrote: Do you think he is?...... Most users here would agree

No, he was funny in the 1990s to around mid-2000s, but it's clear he's running out of ideas and is kinda winging it. Some of his latest vehicles is what you would expect from his sidekick, Rob Schneider.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-09 19:01:30

At 1/9/14 06:50 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 1/9/14 06:25 PM, ZJ wrote: Punch-Drunk love is the only Adam Sandler movie made in the 21st century that deserves to be watched.

Adam Sandler is a capable actor who could do much better if he chooses to, but in the end that's not where the money is. Up to recently, most of the money came from low brow comedy which tells you something.

I liked his earlier works and people can't say "Oh, you're just getting older" because that's just bullcrap. For a lazy example, "Happy Gilmore" > "Jack and Jill", "That's My Boy" and "You Don't Mess With The Zohan"

The last one was promising but...

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 03:16:05

Comedy as a whole? Nope. He's okay for comedy movies, but I can't remember the last time I actually saw a good comedy movie.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 03:45:45

I find it ridiculous to call any artist or artform the "pinnacle" of anything.

It's not hard to qualify certain criteria with which to call something meritorious, but the process of qualification is really, in lots of ways, an opinionation.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 04:08:45

No but I do like some of his stuff.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 05:18:28

At 1/9/14 06:18 PM, DragonBallDavid wrote: Do you think he is?...... Most users here would agree

A very low pinnacle of comedy maybe.

The latest: Hexa #71 (Oct)

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 19:06:36

At 1/10/14 03:33 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:

Well, you have to admit that at least part of the reason you like his older movies is that it was funnier when you were younger. If you still find it funny today, that's because it makes you nostalgic. I find that if I were a kid when his newer stuff came out, I might actually like it more. I went ahead and watched the same old Sandler movies when I got older, and they weren't as funny as I remembered. They also stink of the musical scores and general feel of 90's comedy movies. A Sandler movie was generally always just the ADAM SANDLER show. Much like they did with Jim Carrey.

Not really, when it comes to Happy Gilmore, I can still enjoy it as much as I used to, as well as the remake of Mr. Deeds. Little Nicky was messed up so that one can fit the case. I think his last good movie was Click, after that it started to drop off at a moderate pace.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 19:10:30

Is DragonBallDavid the pinnacle of amazing NG posters?

This is a sig you dumbass.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 19:15:10

I like him but

pinnacle haha I know

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 21:31:05

Grown-ups 2 was a fucking master piece

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-10 21:39:25

At 1/10/14 09:31 PM, Nor wrote: Grown-ups 2 was a fucking master piece

le gasp

Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy?

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 03:29:42

Being a Briton... how about no. I used to think Stephen Fry, but Morecambe and Wise and George Formby make it into the list of funny for me.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 03:32:45

At 1/9/14 06:18 PM, DragonBallDavid wrote: Most users here would agree

What exactly makes you think that...

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 08:04:22

Adam sandler is the pinnacle of comedy in the same way that roy "chubby" brown is the pinnacle of good taste.
that is, they are both nowhere near.

my favourite comedian is Russell Howard. both my girlfriend and i have a bit of a crush on him.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 09:03:00

If you mean that he is funny, then yeah :)
He's very funny in movies, i like Happy Gilmore the best :D
http://www.anyclip.com/movies/happy-gilmore/shout-at-the-ball-part-2/

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 11:10:50

Almost all of his recent movies have been bad. The only good comedy he made in the last ten years was probably "50 First Dates" and even that has a spare amount of haters. As the owner of Happy Madison Studios, it's hard to praise him. That being said, I did like "Funny People". He probably is better as a serious actor.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 11:17:02

Click was a great movie, and I cried twice the first time I watched it, but the ending just COMPLETELY killed it. Personally, it would have been better if he had to live with the consequences he made for himself. Although it wasn't a complete cop out, as there was some other stuff that happened after he woke up, it still somewhat pissed me off.

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE

| I play a lot of Smash Bros.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.

Shaboogity.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 11:34:04

Actually, most of us like George Carlin and Louis C.K.

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 11:41:02

No, he sucks.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 12:11:46

He is the death of comedy.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 12:24:35

At 1/9/14 07:01 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 1/9/14 06:50 PM, Jolly wrote:

Still haven't seen that or Punch Drunk Love. I saw Spanglish a while back, but can't remember much anymore except that I liked Cloris Leachman in it.

Adam Sandler is a capable actor who could do much better if he chooses to

Yeah, he actually does show a bit of potential from what I've seen, which a lot of people probably don't realize.

I liked his earlier works and people can't say "Oh, you're just getting older" because that's just bullcrap.

Yeah, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Airheads, Big Daddy, Waterboy. All pretty good.

At 1/11/14 11:10 AM, Ericho wrote: The only good comedy he made in the last ten years was probably "50 First Dates" and even that has a spare amount of haters.

I've seen that. I'd much rather watch Click than that.

At 1/11/14 03:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
Being a Briton... how about no. I used to think Stephen Fry, but Morecambe and Wise and George Formby make it into the list of funny for me.

I love Stephen Fry. A Bit of Fry and Laurie was great and I still watch QI online. I still haven't watched Jeeves and Wooster.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-11 12:44:00

He obviously had talent early on his career. That is undeniable. The last decade has all been about money.

Response to Is Adam Sandler pinnacle of comedy? 2014-01-12 09:28:31

At 1/11/14 12:24 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I've seen that. I'd much rather watch Click than that.

Yeah, my brother's a big fan of that movie. He seems to have mostly forgotten about it now and probably isn't much of an Adam Sandler fan, like most of us.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock