00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking Back, Looking Forward

36,707 Views | 152 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-01 20:27:50

At 12/31/13 01:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: but I still believe that NG is filling a void that none of them could ever replace. We're the heart and soul of the web.

You guys really are. It's always appreciated.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-01 21:08:48

Lol. I didn't even know there was internet in the 90s

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-01 21:54:30

At 1/1/14 09:08 PM, ImmaDrawOnYourFace wrote: Lol. I didn't even know there was internet in the 90s

Are you serious?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-01 23:36:16

Happy new year everyone, I decided to upload my very first anything on January the 1st to get a memorable start. Hope the site does well this year

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-01 23:58:18

I had always hoped that the NG Store would expand and sell a larger variety of items. Prosnorkulus knife sharpener, mershaq body soap, a charlie the unicorn plush kidney, fernando manwhore hair gel. Or maybe a few more artist-built mobile apps. It is nice to see NG artists pop up on the Steam Store every now and then.

Looking forward to the mobile/tablet adjustments. And that whole "social media" star changed. I don't know when it happened, but I enjoy that the NG video player works in the facebook stream.

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 00:06:05

Of the non-work/creative time I had this year, I spent quite a bit experimenting with Flash-alternative mediums... Languages, frameworks, programs, ... Combined with having dozens of side-projects means I haven't gotten anything out in 2013 :/ I'd love to get something out on NG this year.

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 01:51:43

Glad that NG made it through okay, and can't wait to see what's in store for 2014!

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 02:25:40

I'll always stick with NG, Tom! Even though my career path seems to be moving away from it. I think it's good that you guys know how to flow with the trends. If the user base has gone down a bit, maybe it's best to downsize with it. Go for efficiency and all that. You know what you're doing, NG has been a great site for a long time, so that trend will probably continue.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 03:07:42

I see a lot of people scraping for followers on other networks and not getting a lot of value out of it. I hope to bring much more value to having fans on NG. I think some big players on the web are entering a period of decline while a lot of people are still very passionate about what we're doing here on Newgrounds. I hope that means something long-term.

Thank you everyone who has stood by Newgrounds over the years. There are a ton of places nowadays where you can share your work, so THANK YOU to everyone who continues to share their movies, games, art, music and literature here on NG. I know some sites are flush with cash and others have the benefit of being shiny and new, but I still believe that NG is filling a void that none of them could ever replace. We're the heart and soul of the web.

Here's hoping for a great 2014!

Tom, you hit it on the head. NG was social development & publishing before social networking was a thing. The level of integration between all human elements of enjoyable media on the net - viewers and critics included - is a very special niche, and it's something the throng of newcomers that experienced a lot of growth recently simply do not do. It is not and will never be replaced. You did great work this year advancing HTML5 - we need a platform to help open standards catch up with Flash, and it's support from big, established names like NG that will do it. In case no one's thanked you for it yet, THANK YOU!

I resolve to make sure anyone who mentions an interest in games, movies, or music around me knows about Newgrounds this year.

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 04:35:25

It's been a pretty good year for me. I got my first game and movie out, I've been working with a load of different people on the site on other projects which should all be out in the first half of this year. Newgrounds is definitely still heading in the right direction and I hope to still be here on the website many years from now.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 05:53:32

Happy new year everyone!

Tom, have you ever thought about user made advertisements?

You're pretty much in the same boat now as Moot from 4chan was not so very long ago. Then he came up with a system that allows users to place advertisements and stuff, and now the site is generating a small profit for the first time ever.

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 07:27:45

At 12/31/13 01:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: Financially, this year completely sucked. We've done a lot to reduce costs and I plan to sell the office in 2014, which has been a difficult decision but it feels like overkill to maintain this big place when the staff has gotten smaller and smaller. A smaller office will free up money AND mental bandwidth.

I will always remember this. A shame that all things must come to an end :(

On the plus side, 2014 might be looking better for you, if you can keep things moving forward in a new, streamlined way.

Here's to prosperity in 2014!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 08:54:14

Lets do this! 2014 content!

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 09:20:57

At 12/31/13 01:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Here's hoping for a great 2014!

Thank YOU and the entire NG team for working so hard this year and every year before towards making the best online portal for creative pursuits!

Happy New Years!

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 09:59:30

At 12/31/13 06:48 PM, Blordow wrote: Also just another note when I made a blog post couple of days ago I tried uploading PNG's but they weren't showing up as transparent?

What width and height were they?

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 10:26:26

At 12/31/13 01:19 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: This year sucked.

Yep ;_;

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And the universe I'm not sure." Albert Einstein.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 10:43:28

At 1/2/14 12:06 AM, Pikanjo wrote: Of the non-work/creative time I had this year, I spent quite a bit experimenting with Flash-alternative mediums... Languages, frameworks, programs, ... Combined with having dozens of side-projects means I haven't gotten anything out in 2013 :/ I'd love to get something out on NG this year.

That screenshot looks like a good goal for Pico Day!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 10:45:23

At 1/2/14 03:07 AM, sqykly wrote: I resolve to make sure anyone who mentions an interest in games, movies, or music around me knows about Newgrounds this year.

Thanks! Spreading awareness is greatly appreciated! Need to be sure NG doesn't have a "lost generation" where people come up not knowing it's here.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 13:45:21

Check here to see if you qualify to vote for the best of December 2013! The $100USD prize may be yours, if you vote now!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 14:05:54

I would have bought a Tankmen if it weren't for the ridiculous high prices on the shipping.
Oh and because I don't have a Visa card...

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 14:52:02

You know what? I'm gonna get a beer and drink to Newgrounds. We've come a long way, and I wish for many more years.

Happy new year everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 15:11:32

At 12/31/13 01:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
PsychoGoldfish and BrenTheMan are collaborating on a BIG project but I'll save the details on that for later.

This got me hyped! I'm hoping its awesome!

To an amazing 2013!

Dale.

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 16:42:18

NG is great for publishing flash things, so maybe if you can make it great for publishing Unity or HTML5 things too, the site will return to its former popularity when those technologies will rule the world.
I think maybe a Unity programming forum would be an easy start...

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 16:43:47

At 1/2/14 04:42 PM, EranSh wrote: NG is great for publishing flash things, so maybe if you can make it great for publishing Unity or HTML5 things too, the site will return to its former popularity when those technologies will rule the world.
I think maybe a Unity programming forum would be an easy start...

I've been hesitant to have forums for specific languages, especially when there are places like the official Unity site with its own support forums. I still would like to start a general Game Development forum though - something for anyone making games, regardless of what tools they are using.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 17:54:05

A very good year with some great spotlighted content. I love to hear the site will continue to grow this year and always look forward to amazing submissions. Keep on rocking, guys! ^_^

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-02 18:55:41

At 1/2/14 09:59 AM, liljim wrote:
At 12/31/13 06:48 PM, Blordow wrote: Also just another note when I made a blog post couple of days ago I tried uploading PNG's but they weren't showing up as transparent?
What width and height were they?

a few were 500 width 76 height
and the top image i used was 500 width 224 height

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-03 00:27:57

u sir are awesome I appreciate all that u do for us

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-03 02:13:35

Aw man, it sucks that you'd have to sell the office to reduce costs. But at least this place is still chugging along. Hope 2014 becomes a better year.

Say, Tom, how much money would NG have to make in order to break even / not have the office sold?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-03 02:48:50

you cannot have the good without the bad. but the will to drive on will never stop, so here is to moving forward! to an amazing 2014!

Response to Looking Back, Looking Forward 2014-01-03 03:47:55

I wish I could watch videos and play games on Newgrounds again. Too bad i'm a Verizon user. Boy, I would really like to participate in the community again. Good god I can't remember the last time I voted on anything. The only thing I can use are the forums and do what? Talk to all 5 people?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature