Be a Supporter!
Shiranumbra
Shiranumbra
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
why cant i find my art? 2013-10-30 00:29:08 Reply

hey! so I uploaded my drawing for a contest with the tag cotm2 but when I visit my page the tags do not appear and when I search for the tag alone it doesn't appear on the results either, this is for tomorrow and i'm worried it may not be visible.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to why cant i find my art? 2013-10-30 05:19:39 Reply

At 10/30/13 12:29 AM, Shiranumbra wrote: hey! so I uploaded my drawing for a contest with the tag cotm2 but when I visit my page the tags do not appear and when I search for the tag alone it doesn't appear on the results either, this is for tomorrow and i'm worried it may not be visible.

My guess is you haven't been scouted yet, and thus your submissions don't show a voting panel, or tags (apparently, didn't know about that before... which probably means it's also hidden from search results). If you don't know about the scouting process here's an extensive guide. Your best bet would be to submit a link to your entry manually, for some contests they mention this in the description since not everyone's a scouted artist. Good luck!

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to why cant i find my art? 2013-10-30 11:47:50 Reply

At 10/30/13 05:19 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: My guess is you haven't been scouted yet, and thus your submissions don't show a voting panel, or tags (apparently, didn't know about that before... which probably means it's also hidden from search results).

This is why I've always hated the art portal! It's so backwards!! I've never understood the logic behind it. Aren't unscouted users the ones that would benefit most from reviews? They hide them away like they're ashamed to have them posting here at all. Yeah, some people will abuse it and post garbage/inappropriate stuff ...they already do... but isn't that what art portal mods are for?!I The movie/games portal isn't like that. Even the unscouted audio section is visible to all... so why isn't art?

And why unscouted art isn't included in tag searches just baffles me. I know the belief is that 'if they're good enough, they'll get scouted.' But not everyone strives to be the next keepwalking. Some people just want to participate... in contests, activities, etc. Why penalize them? Why discourage people from even trying? This user only submits pumpkins. So he has to wait ANOTHER YEAR to even be eligible for scouting... even though he's won and been front paged. It's so messed up!

I had my fingers crossed that with Jazza's monthly contests going on... this stuff would change. I can only hope that it's in the works! If not...

Fix your shit, @tomfulp :P

<3
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to why cant i find my art? 2013-10-30 12:30:01 Reply

At 10/30/13 11:47 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: And why unscouted art isn't included in tag searches just baffles me. I know the belief is that 'if they're good enough, they'll get scouted.' But not everyone strives to be the next keepwalking. Some people just want to participate... in contests, activities, etc. Why penalize them? Why discourage people from even trying? This user only submits pumpkins. So he has to wait ANOTHER YEAR to even be eligible for scouting... even though he's won and been front paged. It's so messed up!

I had my fingers crossed that with Jazza's monthly contests going on... this stuff would change. I can only hope that it's in the works! If not...

We actually got unscouted tag results working for Jazza, but it's a unique URL that currently isn't linked to. Maybe it would be best to just merge them in with the global results... We built the Art Portal weary of the sort of spam and garbage and abuse that happens on NG, but in general it does have a more civil community so some of our worst fears might never happen there.

I'm looking into allowing reviews and voting on unscouted art - that might actually be a simple change for once.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to why cant i find my art? 2013-10-30 16:15:16 Reply

At 10/30/13 12:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm looking into allowing reviews and voting on unscouted art - that might actually be a simple change for once.

That would be nice! While you're at it, it seems there's a bug with art URLs for submissions by a scouted user not marked for entry in the portal. Under 'Latest Art' on a profile page, the entries receive a direct link, like so: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cyberdevil/happy-madness-day-2013

Yet there's no voting panel displayed for the entry.

Under the 'Art' tab on a profile page, they receive a URL like so: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cyberdevil/happy-madness-day-2013?context=ratings:etm.user:725545.scouted:.offset:0

This one comes with a voting panel. Surely it's not supposed to be different depending on which link you click?

JohnWoodcock
JohnWoodcock
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to why cant i find my art? 2015-10-25 19:55:18 Reply

At 10/30/13 12:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/30/13 11:47 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: And why unscouted art isn't included in tag searches just baffles me. I know the belief is that 'if they're good enough, they'll get scouted.' But not everyone strives to be the next keepwalking. Some people just want to participate... in contests, activities, etc. Why penalize them? Why discourage people from even trying? This user only submits pumpkins. So he has to wait ANOTHER YEAR to even be eligible for scouting... even though he's won and been front paged. It's so messed up!

I had my fingers crossed that with Jazza's monthly contests going on... this stuff would change. I can only hope that it's in the works! If not...
We actually got unscouted tag results working for Jazza, but it's a unique URL that currently isn't linked to. Maybe it would be best to just merge them in with the global results... We built the Art Portal weary of the sort of spam and garbage and abuse that happens on NG, but in general it does have a more civil community so some of our worst fears might never happen there.

I'm looking into allowing reviews and voting on unscouted art - that might actually be a simple change for once.

I tried to submit an image for Jazza's October contest but I don't see my submission in search. Am I correct in assuming that Jazza can see unscouted images, but we can't? If so I'm cool with that. I can see the correct tags when I look at my artwork in my profile.

Thanks

Luwano
Luwano
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to why cant i find my art? 2015-10-25 20:02:12 Reply

At 10/25/15 07:55 PM, JohnWoodcock wrote:
I tried to submit an image for Jazza's October contest but I don't see my submission in search. Am I correct in assuming that Jazza can see unscouted images, but we can't? If so I'm cool with that. I can see the correct tags when I look at my artwork in my profile.

Thanks

If you used the correct tags, like you said, then yes, Jazza will see it. Unfortunately this is an ongoing issue, with people left unsure wether they are actually spotted, unless they read back all posts or old threads. Don't worry though, you should be fine. Good luck!


BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to why cant i find my art? 2015-10-26 09:45:08 Reply

At 10/25/15 07:55 PM, JohnWoodcock wrote: I tried to submit an image for Jazza's October contest but I don't see my submission in search. Am I correct in assuming that Jazza can see unscouted images, but we can't? If so I'm cool with that. I can see the correct tags when I look at my artwork in my profile.

Correct - Jazza can browse tags by artists who aren't scouted. We intend to merge those into the regular tag results, some work had been done on that end but not pushed live yet.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
RuneEngels
RuneEngels
  • Member since: Dec. 14, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to why cant i find my art? 2016-01-10 14:24:26 Reply

At 10/26/15 09:45 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/25/15 07:55 PM, JohnWoodcock wrote: I tried to submit an image for Jazza's October contest but I don't see my submission in search. Am I correct in assuming that Jazza can see unscouted images, but we can't? If so I'm cool with that. I can see the correct tags when I look at my artwork in my profile.
Correct - Jazza can browse tags by artists who aren't scouted. We intend to merge those into the regular tag results, some work had been done on that end but not pushed live yet.

Well i have the same problem, but if i get it right, if we cant see our art by the title or the tag, jazza can still see it?

DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to why cant i find my art? 2016-01-11 13:50:14 Reply

At 1/10/16 02:24 PM, RuneEngels wrote: Well i have the same problem, but if i get it right, if we cant see our art by the title or the tag, jazza can still see it?

That's right. Scouted artists can see the stuff of the unscouted ones.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
Lourdjim
Lourdjim
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to why cant i find my art? 2017-03-20 21:11:16 Reply

At 10/30/13 12:29 AM, Shiranumbra wrote: hey! so I uploaded my drawing for a contest with the tag cotm2 but when I visit my page the tags do not appear and when I search for the tag alone it doesn't appear on the results either, this is for tomorrow and i'm worried it may not be visible.

i have the same problem. i cant find my tag COTM for jazza. :'(
did you find out why?

DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to why cant i find my art? 2017-03-21 14:15:47 Reply

At 3/20/17 09:11 PM, Lourdjim wrote: i have the same problem. i cant find my tag COTM for jazza. :'(
did you find out why?

You might want to read some replies to this thread.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to why cant i find my art? 2017-03-22 03:58:47 Reply

At 3/21/17 02:15 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 3/20/17 09:11 PM, Lourdjim wrote: i have the same problem. i cant find my tag COTM for jazza. :'(
did you find out why?
You might want to read some replies to this thread.

I'll confess that I can't find LourdJim's work via the "cotmloth" tag, and I'm scouted.
I think it's because he's unscouted, unless it's just me and anybody else can find his artwork by the tag ... ?


BBS Signature