00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KouteiFK just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The real inconvenient truth

14,325 Views | 212 Replies

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-03 19:29:57

There’s also something to say about the neural network side of this

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/670331#rid_rf33
“Finally, information about modularity and modes of connectivity can be used to build neural models, which can offer testable hypotheses about structure-function relationships, while performing cognitive functions. Eliasmith et al. (2012), for example, built a 2.5 million neuron model of the brain that could perform almost as well as humans at a number of tasks. One of the added values of models such as this is that they offer a “set of hypotheses regarding the neural mechanisms and organization that may underlie basic cognitive functions” (1205). Part of the explanation for the success of this model is that its structural and functional connectivity embodies constraints motivated by information about real brains’ modularity and connectivity. The model captured several aspects of neuroanatomy and neurophysiology and showed how they could give rise to different cognitive functions and adaptive behavior.”

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-03 21:56:52

I don't see much of a point in saying anything as long as Meng Hu is posting.

http://humanvarieties.org/2013/01/22/introducing-myself-meng-hu/

@CaptainLolz nihil sub sole novum. You're not going to score points by citing "rationalwiki" on

There's no group more despised by us racists than "Rational, freethinking, skeptical, and open minded atheists"

@Naronic: Where exactly does your background in this topic come from exactly? I can't imagine a school actually equipping students with rebuttals to hereditarian arguments, as that entails acknowledging the existence of a very dangerous debate.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-04 10:54:43

At 9/3/13 07:29 PM, AxTekk wrote:
Controlled differences just account for the differences between being black and white

So people claim.
I challenge you to design an experiment to test your culture / racism / environment hypothesis.

i.e. design me an experiment that will iron out all the relevant variables and truly allow us to compare black and white people strictly on the basis of genetics.

At what point would you finally admit that behavioral / achievement differences are genetic? What would it take?

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-04 12:44:40

At 9/3/13 09:56 PM, SmilezRoyale wrote: I don't see much of a point in saying anything as long as Meng Hu is posting.

http://humanvarieties.org/2013/01/22/introducing-myself-meng-hu/

@CaptainLolz nihil sub sole novum. You're not going to score points by citing "rationalwiki" on

There's no group more despised by us racists than "Rational, freethinking, skeptical, and open minded atheists"

i'm assuming you didn't click on the rationalwiki link because it has sources you in the citations you can check yourself,

About RationalWiki

Our purpose here at RationalWiki includes:

Analyzing and refuting pseudoscience and the anti-science movement.
Documenting the full range of crank ideas.
Explorations of authoritarianism and fundamentalism.
Analysis and criticism of how these subjects are handled in the media.

nothing about self proclaimed rational,skeptical,open minded,free thinking atheists infact the website is very critical of that group too.

if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-04 13:46:11

At 9/4/13 10:54 AM, poxpower wrote: I challenge you to design an experiment to test your culture / racism / environment hypothesis.

Well an experiment's not very feasible, but a more accurate correlation shouldn't be too difficult actually. If you claim that genes unique to Africans are responsible for the IQ differences, the more deeply African a person is the worse they should perform (and the opposite for white people). Slave descendent AAs with West African ancestors will have more North African and European in them than say, 3rd generation immigrant AAs with Zulu ancestry or w/e, despite them being equally black.

Get a large sample of adopted African American children. Look at their genome to see how distinctly African their genome is. Control for the SES of the families they land in etc. etc, and see if they score different IQs. You'll have controlled for them being African American while still measuring the impact of African genetics on IQ.

At what point would you finally admit that behavioral / achievement differences are genetic? What would it take?

Finding the genes responsible. Duh.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-04 13:51:04

At 9/4/13 01:46 PM, AxTekk wrote: Well an experiment's not very feasible, but a more accurate correlation shouldn't be too difficult actually.

Method 2: Get a large group of Mexican Hispanic children. Do the same, testing instead for how many European genes are present and IQ. This should measure the impact of European genes.

Of course worth noting you would have to exclude notably European looking Hispanics and notably African looking AAs as they would introduce racial/ cultural factors. You would also have to exclude mixed race children for the same reason.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-04 18:32:51

At 9/4/13 01:46 PM, AxTekk wrote:
At 9/4/13 10:54 AM, poxpower wrote: the more deeply African a person is the worse they should perform (and the opposite for white people).

They do just that actually.
http://blikskottel.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/the-scarr-study-not-easy-reading-but-i-think-needed/
http://majorityrights.com/weblog/comments/the_health_consequences_of_race_mixing/

The problem is not getting this data. It's that people like you and Naronic claim this data is all bad and that these gaps are really caused by systemic injustices or culture.

There is no test that is satisfactory for a person like Naronic. Whatever test would show a gap is by definition a bad and biased test for him. His pre-arrived at conclusion is that we are equal and therefore if a test is made who's results does not support this claim, then there must be a flaw in the test.

Finding the genes responsible. Duh.

That is certainly an insanely high standard of proof that you have not demanded of your own position.

If anything, having none of that information yourself, shouldn't you reserve your judgment and say that you don't know enough yet to tell if the different races are or aren't matched in XYZ ways?

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 03:36:06

At 9/4/13 06:32 PM, poxpower wrote: The problem is not getting this data. It's that people like you and Naronic claim this data is all bad and that these gaps are really caused by systemic injustices or culture.

No, this doesn't control for the racial/ cultural element. You need to control for this by having people visibly indistinguishable. That said, I have no idea exactly how Scarr did her stuff, can you post a link to her study or just the year it was published? I'll have a comb through.

That is certainly an insanely high standard of proof that you have not demanded of your own position.

The evidence you, MH and Smilez use is exclusively correlational. This has never been enough to infer causation, right back to Empiricus. So, I ask that you bring up the genes you think responsible, as we could look at that without the environmental effects of being black/ white messing up the data.

There are already experiments that show an a lack of motivation creating cognitive deficits (see my above posts) and intervention reducing these effects.

The problem isn't that your evidence is perfect and Naronic and I will never listen, it's that the only evidence you guys have is chicken and egg. No matter what the topic, if all you have is correlational studies, you'll never get an academic consensus on the cause of a thing. And stop acting like me and Naronic are the only ones with an emotional investment in one side of the argument or another, anyone who takes up the racial side and opens themselves up to the social consequences has made a huge investment too.

If anything, having none of that information yourself, shouldn't you reserve your judgment and say that you don't know enough yet to tell if the different races are or aren't matched in XYZ ways?

Well, I'd be lying if I said I knew what caused the gaps, but even race aside I'm not a hereditarian on IQ so it seems implausible to me. I don't see the problem there though, you don't need to have all the answers to say that one theory or another looks bogus.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 03:52:24

At 9/4/13 06:32 PM, poxpower wrote: They do just that actually.
http://blikskottel.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/the-scarr-study-not-easy-reading-but-i-think-needed/
http://majorityrights.com/weblog/comments/the_health_consequences_of_race_mixing/

Yeah, Scarr said the same actually. "The results of the transracial adoption study can be used to support either a genetic difference hypothesis or an environmental difference one (because the children have visible African ancestry)." This is why I said that you would need to be measuring for genes, not appearance.

And I can't take a citation seriously if a) the study it cites has nothing to do with race and b) the author also writes about white genocide. Also, the data there has nothing about cognitive deficits. At all.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 08:50:31

At 9/5/13 03:36 AM, AxTekk wrote:
No, this doesn't control for the racial/ cultural element. You need to control for this by having people visibly indistinguishable. That said, I have no idea exactly how Scarr did her stuff, can you post a link to her study or just the year it was published? I'll have a comb through.

https://lesacreduprintemps19.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mtras1.pdf

It DID inadvertently control for culture as siblings are similar to their adoptive parents when young and become more and more similar to their genetic parents when they get older. This pattern is constant in just about everything btw: The effect education and environment has on a child diminishes with time as they always trend towards being like their genetic parents more than their adoptive ones. This is the very opposite of what you'd expect if your culture hypothesis was correct. If that was true, then you'd expect black children to start out like their genetic parents and for them to become more and more similar to their adoptive parents.

That is, of course, unless you claim that parentage has NO effect whereas society has an EXTREMELY STRONG effect.

This is also not a unique result at all of adoption studies both between races and within races.

If your claim that society was somehow racist or that there was a unique black culture was true then you would expect only BLACK children to rapidly diverge from their adoptive white parents and you would expect white children not to.

So what happens is that you are stuck having to claim that for black people, it's culture and society that makes then underachieve whereas for white people, it's really their genes.
When white people turn to crime because their genetic parents were criminal, you can't blame society or racism now can you?
But when the same holds true for black people, then you are happy to claim it or to say that the results are "inconclusive".

I'm not a hereditarian on IQ

Ok you're just dead wrong on that as far as the mainstream consensus is right now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
You can see dozens of sources and citations on that as well as admission by large psychological organizations.
Like this meta-analysis: http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/13/4/148

And again I will remind you:
"It may seem reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. However, that the opposite occurs is well documented"

That is CRUCIAL when you claim that it's society / education / poverty / racism that is making XYZ race underachieve. If that were so, the heritability of IQ would DECREASE with age in those groups as society would drag their numbers down from what you'd expect given their parent's IQ

Basically, heritability of IQ would be different for blacks and whites. I am not aware that numbers show it to be so.
Furthermore you have to factor in asians who'd heritability would ALSO have to be lower than whites as it is claimed that they over-achieve because of their culture.

And again note that here the claim is that Asians are impervious to OUTSIDE cultural influence and racism and overperform because of their own culture white blacks are constantly affected by this very same outside culture in a way that drags them down.

Why is that so? Why is racism and white culture bad for blacks but does not affect east asians?

These are the kinds of questions that you have to answer when you claim that adoption studies don't control for race and culture enough.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 15:47:43

At 9/5/13 08:50 AM, poxpower wrote:
At 9/5/13 03:36 AM, AxTekk wrote:
https://lesacreduprintemps19.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mtras1.pdf

It DID inadvertently control for culture as siblings are similar to their adoptive parents when young and become more and more similar to their genetic parents when they get older.

Scarr herself said it didn't. All it controls for is direct contact with the parents. This only makes a big difference when young, because this is when parents are the biggest part of the child's world. Of course, as they grow older, children become more independent, gather their own friends and identify with their own culture. This will affect the adopted children slightly less, as the adoptive parents will have provided some framework for them, which explains why the black kids kept doing better than would have been expected right through adolescence.

It doesn't control for race/ culture though, because growing up black does affect whether or not you become part of black culture or not. What would control for culture would be taking kids from within the same culture, visibly indistinguishable, and testing for European and African genes.

This is the very opposite of what you'd expect if your culture hypothesis was correct. If that was true, then you'd expect black children to start out like their genetic parents and for them to become more and more similar to their adoptive parents.

I think I've said why this isn't the case. I don't think I'm being inconsistent here, has anything else I've said suggested otherwise?

If your claim that society was somehow racist or that there was a unique black culture was true then you would expect only BLACK children to rapidly diverge from their adoptive white parents and you would expect white children not to.

No, I would just expect black children to diverge from their adoptive white parents more than white ones. In the Scarr study, she notes that the black children's IQs dropped lower than she expected, an effect largely hidden in the raw data because the adoptive parents and the natural parents had very similar IQs.

But just to clarify: I have not claimed the depressant cultural effects on black people (and Hispanic people) are unique, only especially pronounced within these groups. High social costs of skill, poor role models, the encouragement of reflexive and extroverted behaviour, the same processes are seen in the white working class (although maybe to a lesser extent). This is consistent with the data.

Ok you're just dead wrong on that as far as the mainstream consensus is right now.

This isn't the issue we're debating (the majority of hereditarians find it easy enough to believe IQ is hereditable and that black children simply don't get the necessary environmental support) but all these studies are correlational. It could just as easily be the case that a person's genetic make up predisposes them to a certain environment. The nature/ nurture debate is as old as psychology itself, simply because the bulk of the data has always been correlational.

That is CRUCIAL when you claim that it's society / education / poverty / racism that is making XYZ race underachieve. If that were so, the heritability of IQ would DECREASE with age in those groups as society would drag their numbers down from what you'd expect given their parent's IQ

This would only be true if the environmental factors were not shared with their genetic parents. I'm pretty sure I've covered this in my first paragraph, so I'll move on.

Basically, heritability of IQ would be different for blacks and whites. I am not aware that numbers show it to be so.

Heritability would not be different, given that the race/ environment factor was shared between parent and child. What you would expect to see though, is adopted black children failing to adapt to white parent IQs when young, when the social effects are weakest.

Furthermore you have to factor in asians who'd heritability would ALSO have to be lower than whites as it is claimed that they over-achieve because of their culture.

One point you might have missed - cultural effects would be present in whites, asians, blacks and hispanics. There is no reason why heritability would differ between them.

And again note that here the claim is that Asians are impervious to OUTSIDE cultural influence and racism and overperform because of their own culture white blacks are constantly affected by this very same outside culture in a way that drags them down.
Why is that so? Why is racism and white culture bad for blacks but does not affect east asians?

I never said white (American) culture was bad for blacks. I said that black (American) culture was bad for blacks. As for racism, that much affects you however much you let it affect you to some degree. In the 70s, Asians in New York had a particularly shitty time of it, police beatings, racial abuse, you name it. When they had to do twice the work a white man would have to do to succeed, they just did the Confucian thing about and did twice the work. Black culture's different, and I don't know how much of that is from Africa and how much of it is from slavery.

I wonder what you have to say about Mexican Hispanics though, Pox. Given how much European there is in them, why do they perform so similarly to black people? As far as I can see, they have for the most part ended up in the same social and cultural situation as black people. They suffer equally from the "acting white" effect and fill the same ghettos. And they perform the same on cognitive tests. Yet, genetically speaking, they're a mix of:

- Mixtecs, who had written language, mathematics, astronomy, pottery, a sophisticated military, complex architecture, a road system, a mail system, a mining system and a sophisticated feudal society.

- And Spanish conquistadors in large numbers, ethnically European.

Please, tell me how that works.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 18:20:59

At 9/5/13 03:47 PM, AxTekk wrote: Of course, as they grow older, children become more independent, gather their own friends and identify with their own culture.

No, again, the adoption studies show that tons of things like alcoolism, religiosity, political stance, criminality and IQ are better predicted by the biological parent than the adoptive ones.

Now why on earth would "more independent" people as you claim always trend towards the same habits as people they are genetically related to but have never met??

If your theory that culture was a bigger and bigger factor as people age, the correlation between biological parents and adopted children would grow weaker and weaker as the children age, but we observe the REVERSE of that, which again suggests that culture and environment have less and less to do with who you are as you become older.

It doesn't control for race/ culture though, because growing up black does affect whether or not you become part of black culture or not.

This is a flimsy hypothesis at best and doesn't explain much. At no point were black populations equal to whites except for when you actually select black people for high achievement as is the case with Nigerian immigrants in Britain.
Why is it that this pervasive and elusive "black culture" not affect them?

The nature/ nurture debate is as old as psychology itself, simply because the bulk of the data has always been correlational.

The "nature" side has gained infinite ground in the last 30 years precisely because of things like twin adoption studies and our better understanding of genetics.

Why do you readily accept that it's possible to control for all relevant variables for in-race heritability but that it's "impossible" for between-race heritability or differences?

This is the same thing btw that feminists try to do when they claim that women are just bad at math because of culture.

You have arbitrarily picked a point at which you don't believe that heritability can be suitably controlled for while at the same time accepting a point that is just as arbitrary where it can. You have not demanded the genes for "intelligence" for in-race differences but you certainly seem to demand them for between-race comparisons.

Why?

What you would expect to see though, is adopted black children failing to adapt to white parent IQs when young, when the social effects are weakest.

When you are young is when the social and parental effects are STRONGEST.

This is what we now know. The "nurture" side is constantly losing ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQHSKLXu2c

I never said white (American) culture was bad for blacks. I said that black (American) culture was bad for blacks.

But where does it come from and why is it bad for all blacks everywhere across the globe seemingly in an even fashion??

When they had to do twice the work a white man would have to do to succeed, they just did the Confucian thing about and did twice the work.

Again why does this not work for hispanics?
One could argue they have a very strong work ethic culture but they have low IQ scores and so do their children.

Honestly all this is just wild speculation ala Malcolm Gladwell. Just make up any story without doing any studies about anything.

I wonder what you have to say about Mexican Hispanics though, Pox.

They are mixed Native American and spanish. South American natives have quite low IQs, probably around 80-85 and Hispanic mixes a little above at 90 while modern Spaniards sit at around 100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:National_IQ_Lynn_Vanhanen_2006_IQ_and_Global_Inequality.png

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 20:07:38

At 9/5/13 06:20 PM, poxpower wrote: No, again, the adoption studies show that tons of things like alcoolism, religiosity, political stance, criminality and IQ are better predicted by the biological parent than the adoptive ones.

Source plz, my confounding variables sense is tingling.

If your theory that culture was a bigger and bigger factor as people age,

When did I actually ever say that? I said that adoptive parents influence children most when the kids spend all their time with them. What do you make of that btw, that when black kids spend all their time around white parents in a white culture their IQs converge to that of their adoptive parents?

the correlation between biological parents and adopted children would grow weaker and weaker as the children age, but we observe the REVERSE of that, which again suggests that culture and environment have less and less to do with who you are as you become older.
It doesn't control for race/ culture though, because growing up black does affect whether or not you become part of black culture or not.
This is a flimsy hypothesis at best and doesn't explain much.

Yeah, sure... You're just as likely to listen to 2chainz and get grillz if you're white...

At no point were black populations equal to whites except for when you actually select black people for high achievement as is the case with Nigerian immigrants in Britain.
Why is it that this pervasive and elusive "black culture" not affect them?

I'm talking about black American culture of course. I thought that was obvious.

Interesting that you bring up the Nigerian immigrants though, because even when you get to the poor ones who essentially got through on virtue of having a clean prison record and us needing unskilled labour that would work for less than £6.00/hour, they outperform their white working class counterparts. Riddle me that.

The "nature" side has gained infinite ground in the last 30 years precisely because of things like twin adoption studies and our better understanding of genetics.

Why do you readily accept that it's possible to control for all relevant variables for in-race heritability but that it's "impossible" for between-race heritability or differences?

It isn't possible to control for all relevant variables. Not even slightly. I'm not a hereditarian, it's just not a debate I'm getting into here, because I don't think hereditarians necessarily have to agree with you.

Actually, what the hell, I will - briefly - bite. The entire human genome has been mapped and it's simple enough to find genes that correlate with IQ, but as far as I'm aware there have only been two genes found that have any effect on neural development and correlate with IQ. They account for a maximum 4 IQ points, and that's if you're being really generous.

The problem is that genes and the environment do not live in separate spheres. Many genes perform functions completely separate from neural functioning yet will correlate with cognitive processes because they expose people to different environments. Even when a gene will interact with the brain and correlate with IQ things are rarely as they seem. Here's an example: I have dyspraxia, and dyspraxics are vastly over-represented in prison. They flunk the education system, they find it hard to get work, and, of course, they score lower on IQ tests. So the gene causes delinquency and poor cognitive functioning right? What good will environmental intervention do right?

Dyspraxia is mainly just bad motor skills. Dyspraxics have a hard time with handwriting so they drop out of schools, they can't run away from the cops as fast. They can't play footie with the other kids. Besides from a slightly reduced memory it has no cognitive component. Needless to say environmental interventions have been highly successful.

This is the problem with correlations. The dyspraxic gene doesn't alter someone's personality, doesn't leave any real cognitive deficit and yet just looking at the numbers you would deduce that it did all of that. This is because nature shapes nurture. Genes create environments. Not the main point at all, and although I'm sure you're already trying to debunk this, it doesn't have to be true for my argument to still stand.

This is the same thing btw that feminists try to do when they claim that women are just bad at math because of culture.

No, I actually think that's stupid because there is legitimate neurological evidence behind that. You can point to parts of the brain and look at the effect certain hormones have, quantify it and it matches up. Of course, women can still be good at maths and men can still be bad at maths, knowing how we think just means we can teach people better.

You have arbitrarily picked a point at which you don't believe that heritability can be suitably controlled for while at the same time accepting a point that is just as arbitrary where it can. You have not demanded the genes for "intelligence" for in-race differences but you certainly seem to demand them for between-race comparisons.

No, I do. I'm not a hereditarian for that exact reason. I'm just choosing not to argue the toss over a debate as old as psychology like it proves your point or mine.

What you would expect to see though, is adopted black children failing to adapt to white parent IQs when young, when the social effects are weakest.
When you are young is when the social and parental effects are STRONGEST.

You keep putting this in caps like I'm disagreeing. I agree (at least with the parental bit), and it fits the theory fine. Social effects may be tied in with the genetics for the reason above. You can't disentangle the two without looking at exactly what the genes are doing and why the effect might be coming about.

I never said white (American) culture was bad for blacks. I said that black (American) culture was bad for blacks.
But where does it come from and why is it bad for all blacks everywhere across the globe seemingly in an even fashion??

...It isn't. You yourself acknowledged that British black people were significantly smarter than American ones, you just gave a different reason. Also, if blacks everywhere have the same IQs, are you saying blacks in Ghana, in Niger and Ethiopia will have the same IQs as blacks in South Africa and Zimbabwe and also in America? Please, say, and stick to it.

As for where it comes from, probably a mixture of African oral tradition and slave culture. Ie: Hiphop music is a mix of Jamaican music, West African oral tradition and Blues music so in that culture you see all those cultures represented. Some aspects of black culture are more coincidentally black being practised by blacks and whites, just happening to be in mostly black areas. IDK, I'm not an anthropologist.

One could argue they have a very strong work ethic culture but they have low IQ scores and so do their children.

It's not manual work that counts in this context though. There are strong social rewards in east asian culture for a person to succeed on cognitive tasks.

Honestly all this is just wild speculation ala Malcolm Gladwell. Just make up any story without doing any studies about anything.

Oh yeah, study. http://www.nber.org/papers/w11334.pdf?new_window=1

I wonder what you have to say about Mexican Hispanics though, Pox.
They are mixed Native American and spanish. South American natives have quite low IQs, probably around 80-85 and Hispanic mixes a little above at 90 while modern Spaniards sit at around 100.

[Citation needed]

American Latinos only come up 4 IQ points above AAs at 89 according to Mr. Jensen. Please, square this with their people's history. Please tell me how primitive they are.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 22:08:30

AxTekk :

You said : "This will of course effect people of every race, but there are unique and powerful factors that only affect the motivation of black people and Hispanic people quite uniformly. These are what I guess I refer to as the "x" factor."

If you read Rowe (1994), lubke (2003, pp. 551-553) and Jensen (1998, p. 456 and following) you see that it could be thought as the plant analogy (two plants growing in totally different environments) used once by the likes of Lewontin, Gould, and Flynn, among others. But yes, generally, your description would be more or less accurate, although I wouldn't have formulated it this way.

You said : "The point is that institutionalising people, removing their motivation and self worth creates deficits in cognitive ability (as tested psychometrically)."

Yes, I've read something like that. But this has nothing to do with g. There was no test of measurement invariance, or method of correlated vectors, or even a principal component analysis. So, as I said, it is rather inconclusive.

You said : "What the Rowe shows is that many developmental processes work the same between races, ie: If a white kid does drugs he'll become the same amount more aggressive as a Hispanic kid who does drugs. What it doesn't show is that all races are exposed to the same developmental processes equally ie: that there isn't something about Hispanic culture that will expose more Hispanic kids to doing drugs."

I'm not sure you really understand the study, assuming you have read it. Either way, if blacks and whites are subjected to different environments and/or to a different magnitude, the default hypothesis, more exactly, what Jensen termed it (see his book, page 418 and following), would have been rejected. Instead, Rowe et al. confirmed the default model. They found a statistically nonsignificant difference in causal processes. This was true for Hispanics vs whites or blacks vs whites. Rowe speculates one possible reason for identical developmental processes. Roughly, it's mass-media culture with all the things we could imagine. If, say, there is a racial difference in GxE interaction, this would reject the default hypothesis, because this would mean that even when blacks and whites were IQ-matched they would have attained that level of IQ through different developmental processes and thus through different environmental factors or influences.

Also, if by this comment, you also argue that blacks' heritability should be lower than whites', Jensen (1998) said earlier that they are quite similar. Rushton & Jensen (2005, 2010) made the same point, more recently.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 22:49:18

Naronic :

Too many articles. I'm busy. Although I read them, I will probably need to look again.

You said : "When we look at the brain and the environmental effects on it and then turn around and look at what correlates with “g” ... All that changes and responds pretty heavily with environment."

If I interpret it correctly, you argue that because brain correlates with g, and that brain responds to environmental influences, thus it can be inferred that Flynn effect (FE) gains are related with g. I'm sorry but it's a total nonsense. First, environment indices are found not to be related with g. I thought I already linked to that meta-analysis. As usual, you simply ignore all the evidence. Second, it doesn't answer the question of violation in measurement invariance. No inference is possible when measurement bias is detected in cohort comparison.

In this article that I pointed out in my previous post, there was a citation from Jensen, of course, that you failed to notice. It says that if FE gains were 'real' there should be a bias with respect to earlier cohorts in predictive validity of IQ with other variable (e.g., IQ vs. indices of economic status, achievement. etc.). As Jensen writes :

"If the IQs had increased in the later generation without reflecting a corresponding increase in functional ability, the IQ would markedly underpredict the performance of the earlier generation – that is, their actual criterion performance would exceed the level of performance attained by those of the later generation who obtained the same IQ. The IQ scores would clearly be functioning differently in the two groups. This is the clearest indication of a biased test – in fact, the condition described here constitutes the very definition of predictive bias. If the test scores had the same meaning in both generations, then a given score (on average) should predict the same level of performance in both generations. If this is not the case (and it may well not be), the test is biased and does not permit valid comparisons of “real-life” ability levels across generations."

It seems that IQ scores indeed maintained their predictive validity, so this would suggest hollow effect in the secular gains. See Williams (2013) interesting review of FE. Also, even when we accept the false idea that FE gains are on g, it does not mean it has something to do with BW differences. Wicherts (2004) says it doesn't because BW difference is measurement invariant, unlike cohort comparisons. Also, you should remember that B-W differences have not diminished, and must remained at about 1SD. Maybe the only exception I know if UK, where the BW gap is probably lower than 1SD, could be somewhere between 1 SD and 0.50 SD. Related to that topic, you could be interesting by LaGriffeduLion's article on BW gaps. The demonstration of how you can play and manipulate the statistical BW gap was impressive I must say.

You said : "this isn’t a response and doesn’t “refute” anything"

Stop cherrypicking my comments, would you ? This won't help defending your case, quite the contrary. And your comment is not a reply anyway. There is a ton of arguments I made earlier and to which you have simply ignored. Regardless, I already destroyed the arguments that environmental stress would account for a huge part of the BW gap, assuming of course that these environmental influences were totally independent of genetic influences. The post is here. I also linked to that blogpost. You never tried to comment it.

You said : "But if we really need an arrow of causality I direct you to http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2012/ninds-23.htm"

That doesn't make sense to talk about causality if a relationship has not been established. Given Metzen (2012) meta-analyses, I'm not sure that environmental stress, malnutrition included, is related with g. About your link, anyway, it does not show that the causality does not work the other way as well. My suspicion is that causality could work both ways. Intelligent people would be more likely to avoid such stress.

You said : "The problem with heritability is one of semantics; heritability unlike what intuition would tell people does not measure genetic determination. For instance you can’t compare heritability between groups and environmental factors can also be heritable."

You cite Block's article "How heritability misreads about Race". It's sad because that article is extremely bad written. And all so wrong. He believes heritability would not be equal between races, yet the opposite happens (Rushton & Jensen, 2005, 2010). His claims is not supported by any evidence. Further, a great portion of the article is devoted to Ogbu's theory using the illustration based on Lewontin's plant analogy. Call it Theory X. As I mentioned earlier the very fact that measurement invariance holds with respect to IQ race differences makes the plant's analogy dubious. This is the more annoying because it is known that BW IQ gaps increase when SES levels increase, and Block uses Theory X to reject this fact.

Block also says that heritability is misleading because indirect estimates ignore GxE correlations. At the time when Block wrote this article, you may be right to pose the question, now we have a lot of strong evidence. The fact that you still refer to this article today makes me feel rather uneasy. If you have time, read this article. If your time is short, then simply look at the Davies et al. (2011) study.

Also, note that Sesardic (2005, for instance, see pp. 115-116) refuted Block a while ago in so many ways.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 23:09:12

Naronic:

You said : "Genes code for proteins and are responsible for all the variation you see in people, but genes don’t “determine” much of anything on the macro scale which is why to this day we’re having so much trouble finding and replicating evidence of genes that substantially effect IQ or personality to degrees we find in between individuals."

You mention Chabris. The original paper is here. What it shows is that IQ is affected by a multitude of genes of extremely small effects and that the reasons as they speculate is because samples were not large enough, so you wouldn't expect to attain a high level of significance. But so, in what way it weakens the arguments about IQ heritability, I'm still wondering. On this topic, see also Plomin (2013), Trzaskowski (2013).

You said : "I’ve also pointed to another study that there’s a good chance IQ tests are probably not a good measure of innate intelligence so much as skills needed to succeed in a western society, there’s a lot we simply can’t know from correlations."

Well, and again, you provide no comment on measurement invariance tests which show that IQ scores are cross-culturally comparable. The paper Fractioning Human Intelligence is another silly one. The problem is the authors pretend that g must be unitary at a biological level, which is not necessary in fact. It's a shame they made such a mistake. I mean, when you debate IQ stuff, the least thing to be aware of, is obviously Jensen's work, in particular his 1998 book, The g Factor. So yes, Hampshire and co. completely ignored Jensen's earlier work and remark on this subject.

By way of comparison, there is that paper who showed that g can be edified as a causal higher-order factor, here. These authors managed to establish the causal role of g, which falsifies the common claims that IQ, or g, is a hollow entity. The only problem with that study is the sample size, which is not large, only modest (about 200). It needs to be replicated therefore.

You said :"Recent research has shown that African-American exhibit smaller total cerebral volume than Caucasians, although there were no statistically significant differences in total gray matter, total white matter, or ventricular CSF volumes, African Americans have a larger orbitofrontal cortex than Caucasians."

Assume it's right. Still, it does not mean that BW differences have no genetic component.

You said: "There’s also the stipulation that nerve conduction velocity can affect scores on IQ tests and G and there have been no statistical significant differences between blacks and whites"

And to which I reply : "sample size =50 blacks, 50 whites."
If so, does that give us a proof for an entirely non-genetic BW IQ gap component ? Of course not.

You said : "I direct you again to the link I think I’ve posted before
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2011/nimh-26.htm"

I don't really understand why, from the beginning of this thread, you are continuing to cite this article ? How many times by the way ? Because I don't see where it shows that the B-W IQ difference has no genetic component whatsoever. I'll read this again later, because it's really a mistery why you're always referring to this. Regardless, the citation is not necessarily consistent with Out of Africa theory, contra the authors, and I don't give it even a slight credit. That book (read it 2 years ago) contains all the arguments you may want to check.

I noticed another link who refers to Gardner's multiple intelligence. You have your answer here.

You said : "No one component, or IQ, explained everything."

Yes, but this is actually a strawman. Who ever said that IQ explains everything ? Obviously, no one ever made this claim.

You said : "G simply refers to a person’s ability to be proficient at all cognitive tasks, it has no “reality” beyond that."

Refer to the above. And read also Gottfredson's article Why g Matters. g is also a function of complexity. When you are trying to train people, some will learn at a faster rate than others, regardless of experience and education level and still other background levels, gender, race, and some personality variables (e.g. Big Five), etc.

You said : "this rebuttal is also really stupid as this study involved anywhere up to 40,000 participants last I checked."

What are you talking about ? The Jaeggi study ? Or the Hampshire ? The first had n=70, the second n=16. So stop calling others stupid while in fact you're the one being silly.

By the way Naronic, would you try the next time to give some direct links to the studies you cite, instead of a mere link toward ScienceDaily, NIH or else ? Because these articles are not very helpful. They only provide a rather short summary of the study they are referring to. Some important details could be omitted, for instance, methods, tables, figures, and else. It's rather difficult to make a very technical comment on them when you don't provide the paper.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-05 23:30:45

@ Naronic :

I said earlier : "If you have time, read this article. If your time is short, then simply look at the Davies et al. (2011) study."

I forgot a link, now I fixed it.

I'll also reply to a comment of

@ AxTekk :

So you said :"No, this doesn't control for the racial/ cultural element. You need to control for this by having people visibly indistinguishable."

Two problems. First, absence of violation in measurement bias or similarity in developmental processes make this argument highly implausible. Second, when talking about nearly impossible empirical test, which I don't like because it cannot be testable and is thus by definition irrefutable, we can look somewhere else. Skin color for instance. Link here. It explains that for colorism hypothesis to be tenable, its effects must be present anywhere, meaning that skin-color based discrimination must be universal, e.g., at school, at work, even in sports, and, yes, everywhere else. And this must hold irrespective of gender, of course. But this is not the case in fact. For example, when controlling for SES and still other variables of interest, the link between skin color and earnings or education level within blacks disappear altogether. This is inconsistent with colorism because it posits that discrimination is prevalent irrespective of status, IQ, and else. In other words, it very looks like an hypothesis based discrimination solely based on physical appearance (e.g., skin color).

And, interestingly, skin color-IQ association does not hold within families, only between-families. Link here. Again, this renders discrimination hypotheses mostly untenable.

You said: "No matter what the topic, if all you have is correlational studies, you'll never get an academic consensus on the cause of a thing."

Of course you don't know this topic well. In fact, Jensen's default hypothesis is testable, unlike some environmental/cultural hypotheses by definition irrefutable. By using structural equation modelling, which disentangles genetic and environmental components and assess the fit of different competing models, such as default model, against purely genetic, or against purely environmental, or neither of them, as being the cause of racial differences. Jensen's The g Factor (pp. 464-467) explained briefly the subject.

I'm in a hurry, so I will come back later with more comments.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-06 00:06:02

At 9/5/13 08:07 PM, AxTekk wrote:
At 9/5/13 06:20 PM, poxpower wrote: No, again, the adoption studies show that tons of things like alcoolism, religiosity, political stance, criminality and IQ are better predicted by the biological parent than the adoptive ones.
Source plz, my confounding variables sense is tingling.

Heritability of religiosity: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2006/11/heritability-of-religiosity/#.UilIhD_-5b0
Heritability of political attitudes: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=D836EDBE6F5384C44C3ACC004743A0C4.journals?fromPage=online&aid=307693
Crime: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02239409

I said that adoptive parents influence children most when the kids spend all their time with them. What do you make of that btw, that when black kids spend all their time around white parents in a white culture their IQs converge to that of their adoptive parents?

That's false as twin studies show: IQ converges AWAY from adoptive parents.

Interesting that you bring up the Nigerian immigrants though, because even when you get to the poor ones who essentially got through on virtue of having a clean prison record and us needing unskilled labour that would work for less than £6.00/hour, they outperform their white working class counterparts. Riddle me that.

Give me that source please.

It isn't possible to control for all relevant variables. Not even slightly. I'm not a hereditarian

Oookaaaaaay...

Actually, what the hell, I will - briefly - bite. The entire human genome has been mapped and it's simple enough to find genes that correlate with IQ, but as far as I'm aware there have only been two genes found that have any effect on neural development and correlate with IQ. They account for a maximum 4 IQ points, and that's if you're being really generous.

Intelligence is controlled by groupings of genes, possibly hundreds, we have no real idea how all of that works yet.
You don't need to map the genome to extract valid conclusion from twin studies just the same you don't need to map genomes to support evolution.

Needless to say environmental interventions have been highly successful.

I am not aware of any environmental intervention that has allowed large groups of blacks to close the gaps with whites nor am I aware of some that allowed whites to close gaps with Asians. All the effects of affirmative action or headstart type programs don't close these gaps and fade with age as well.

This is the problem with correlations.

Again to claim that twin studies don't control for correlations enough is kind of an impossible standard of evidence given what we have available to use right now.

No, I actually think that's stupid because there is legitimate neurological evidence behind that. You can point to parts of the brain and look at the effect certain hormones have, quantify it and it matches up.

You can do the same with black people and higher testosterone levels or different cranial / brain sizes.
Why is that not good enough?

you just gave a different reason. Also, if blacks everywhere have the same IQs, are you saying blacks in Ghana, in Niger and Ethiopia will have the same IQs as blacks in South Africa and Zimbabwe and also in America? Please, say, and stick to it.

No, I am asking you why blacks so consistently perform under whites in such an even and widespread fashion even in rich countries where things like diseases and malnutrition don't affect them.
If your culture hypothesis was correct, then you'd expect some black countries ( or very large populations ) to perform at least as well as whites or asians.
But it never ever happens excepts for very small isolated pockets that could simply represent a grouping of the naturally occurring higher IQ percentage of their population.

black and asian cultures

You know for someone with such a high standard of evidence for heredity you have quite a low standard for these extremely speculative cultural explanations...

Oh yeah, study. http://www.nber.org/papers/w11334.pdf?new_window=1

Look again because you can show an environmental effect of some kind doesn't negate the hereditarian one, which is why twin studies come up with correlations like 0.5.

That is to say it's possible there is a "black culture" or an "asian culture" but you would never get the same IQ average on a black population with an "asian culture" as an asian population with an "asian culture".

I've yet to see data that shows gaps dissapear.

[Citation needed]

From Richard Lynn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Differences_in_Intelligence

This is the IQ of the ancestral populations, natve americans are at around 85-90

Please, square this with their people's history.

Well come up with an actual way to measure a civilization and we can compare. Surely they got PWNED by the Spanish. So yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-06 00:16:15

I apologize for the kneejerk Nazi comparison, but Hitler invented his own pseudo-science called "race science". It was a study that supposedly showed physical differences in the structure of the brain and blood between races. Jews and blacks were claimed to be extremely different; you know the rest of the story.

However, actual research done after the war proved it to be bullshit.

Furthermore, they found that even though each race has some differences in appearance, our brains have the same blueprint. If you can find any evidence that the brains of each race have any physical differences, show it to me. However, if you're so insistent on directly linking IQ to internal factors, I don't know what to tell you. There are strong external economic and cultural gaps between races, which can in turn link to lower IQ. But our genetics have no part in that. If you need some kind of personal human interest story, let me just say that I've met people from all walks of life, and have gotten to see not only their appearance but their upbringing. Most minorities that I've met who grew up in good financial status act just as any other middle-class person. When I meet a person who acts distinctly "ghetto", regardless of race, I typically find out it's because, well, they live/have lived in the ghetto. Yes, there is a disproportionate amount of blacks and Hispanics in these environments; however, that's due to a larger economic phenomenon. You see, minorities haven't really been tolerated very well throughout history, and have been cursed with shitty financial status. Now, while the race barrier has been quickly breaking since the 1960's, you have to remember that a good deal of a generation's wealth is inherited from the last generation. Thus, while blacks may be treated more equally now, their parents aren't exactly able to provide for them as much financially due to their lack of inheritance. On the other hand, white people have had it so good for a long time there's a bit more money to go around.

This isn't a knock on any race. I'm just saying that when someone scores differently on a test than you, it's not because of their color.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-06 00:35:30

At 9/5/13 11:30 PM, MH19870410 wrote:
And, interestingly, skin color-IQ association does not hold within families, only between-families. Link here. Again, this renders discrimination hypotheses mostly untenable.

This is very interesting indeed.

At 9/6/13 12:16 AM, T3XT wrote:
This isn't a knock on any race. I'm just saying that when someone scores differently on a test than you, it's not because of their color.

Here go watch this for starters so you have some semblance of idea of what's being talked about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1mgrTGeDPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6otz9MDuNk

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-07 17:46:57

If I'm going to be totally honest here, I found the video incredibly boring. The guy just seemed to keep making the same claims over and over, and I didn't see him pulling out any graphs or talking about the experiments that were conducted. It just sounds like a thesis to me.

Keep in mind that a litter of kittens has more genetic diversity than the entire human population. While genes might have an impact on intelligence, I doubt that the difference is quite as significant as people make it out to be. Genetically, humans just aren't that diverse.

Another thing which I find kind of funny is that there was a program on Nova where archaeologists uncovered fossils of humans and neanderthals from the same area and time period, and even found that the two frequently cross-bred. The irony is that these fossils were found primarily in Europe.

One last gene-related thing I've heard is that the IQ of humans is actually increasing everywhere. I don't remember the exact quotients, but it was approximated that the IQ in America increases by 8 points every decade and in Africa, 2 points every decade. Whether this has to do with the way the country is developing or genes isn't clear. More importantly, though, IQ tests keep getting harder because 100 is supposed to be the average human IQ - the tests are adapted to keep things that way.

I'm also curious to know just what kind of IQ tests they're referring to, and why this lecturer seems so sure that he removed any possibility of a bias from the evaluation. Again, the guy really doesn't say a whole lot to back up his claims. If the tests were all written by Caucasians, there really may be some kind of a cultural issue. He also doesn't say where these people come from, although I imagine that all of the people tested were from America. What about other developed countries like South Africa? I'd like to see what IQ scores are like over there.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-07 18:27:24

At 9/7/13 05:46 PM, Kwing wrote: If I'm going to be totally honest here, I found the video incredibly boring. The guy just seemed to keep making the same claims over and over

He has published many scientific papers with references to his sources.

Keep in mind that a litter of kittens has more genetic diversity than the entire human population.

I have no idea where you heard that but it's completely false.

Genetically, humans just aren't that diverse.

But they are enough to be different.

The irony is that these fossils were found primarily in Europe.

It's neither ironic or relevant actually.

One last gene-related thing I've heard is that the IQ of humans is actually increasing everywhere.

This has been discussed at length in this thread. It's called the "Flynn effect" and it stops eventually.

I don't remember the exact quotients, but it was approximated that the IQ in America increases by 8 points every decade and in Africa, 2 points every decade.

No that's pretty much all wrong lol.

I'm also curious to know just what kind of IQ tests they're referring to, and why this lecturer seems so sure that he removed any possibility of a bias from the evaluation.

There are many kinds of IQ and intelligence tests and statistics on intelligence based on these tests.
They all fall in a predictable order which highly suggests there is no bias in the tests themselves.

Here is a short video of him explaining one kind of test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAhwYoZQKU

What about other developed countries like South Africa? I'd like to see what IQ scores are like over there.

High for whites, low for blacks.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-07 19:10:54

lol this thread is still going

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-08 20:55:53

You said "I direct you again to the link I think I’ve posted before
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2011/nimh-26.htm"
I don't really understand why, from the beginning of this thread, you are continuing to cite this article ? How many times by the way ? Because I don't see where it shows that the B-W IQ difference has no genetic component whatsoever.

Either this is a joke or it simply shows that you have no grasp on any rule set in this debate more complex than your own, we can't keep dancing around a statistical artifact claiming it's real because it correlates well with something else the same way you simply can't weave entire narratives based off banging two largely unscientific/unagreed upon concepts (race, IQ) and say you have undeniable proof of anything.
Especially when your said hypothesis is working against 50 years of established science and genetics. If your entire argument starts and ends with indirect correlations, speculation, and statistics in the light of actual empirical evidence of the phenomenon in question then you have a very flimsy argument.

At some point there has to be some empirical evidence, at some point we have to look at G and the brain and at the genes that would effect it. There is no genetic evidence of the kind of cognative divide you're suggesting and the window only gets smaller and smaller with every genetic uncovering, I suggest you actually read the study.

I post again,
Firstly the Flynn effect doesn't mean nothing because you think it’s secular and fails to raise a statistical artifact to your satisfaction, it’s an inconsistency and nothing more. G simply comes from the stipulation that people whom are good at one test tend to be good at them all, and vice versa, and it’s relevance only goes as far as it’s correlations and estimates. When we look at the brain and the environmental effects on it and then turn around and look at what correlates with “g”, that is-- amount of white/grey matter, cortical thickness, neural efficiency, synapses, gene expression, neurons and the connections thereof between white and grey matter etc. All that changes and responds pretty heavily with environment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_enrichment_(neural)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)

If we accept that the way G is pitched, it doesn't respond to the environment, then that simply shows that G likely fails to correspond to any of it's real life correlates. It's a problem with G not the reality to which your trying to project it onto.

You seem to keep putting up walls in between reality and secular gains such as test retest measurement in-variance (which we've already discussed can't explain 20 point jumps in IQ), the fact that IQ gains can be seen without gains in other factors such as educational achievement therefore the gains must not mean anything (despite the fact that this is an assumption and simply reflects badly on IQ testing in general and not the reality you wan't to correspond with it), or that the IQ gains don't reflect some close in some innumerable pseudoquality you seem to religiously believe whites have genetically set over blacks despite your only support for this being that given a few variables G can be hard to close.

Another area which you seem not to get me (as shown by you linking to Sesardic's paper) is how heritablility works.

Genes simply cannot activate without being called upon to do so. When people talk about genexenvironment interaction they're not talking about the notion that twins look alike and therefore are treated the same way which would result in the same behaviors and subsequent IQ.
We're talking about twins responding to environmental stimuli in much the same way resulting in the subsequent environmental variables to effect them in much the same way. They would mold the environment with their behaviors and the resulting environmental variables for both such as music lessons, taking up certain sports would mold the degree to which genes are expressed, so on and so forth.
It's why 'heritability' tends to become unpredictable when SES comes into play with a lot of different studies reporting a lot of different heritabilities at both sides of the spectrum, as well as why it tends to 'increase with age'. You simply cannot decouple environmental effects from genetic effects. It's not the way genetics work.

Me citing ned block 'worries' you because it's old (sigh), and you in turn shove a paper into my face saying that there have been recent findings that IQ is highly heritable and polygenetic. This paper in question finding that some genes can account for 1% of variation in IQ. This is the same ad hoc that's been pitched all the time since genetic behaviorism became popular. Most studies pointing to genes 'responsible' for something haven't been replicated and we're fast running out of gene pool to explore. Everyone wants to pitch in with a 'when' and nobody wants to answer 'why'.

That doesn't make sense to talk about causality if a relationship has not been established.

Something is really not clicking for you is it? Causality has already been empirically established between G and Iq tests, environmental factors, and the brain neurologically as I've told you before; inferiority of intelligence and G (at least how it's pitched) would be nested in the brain and hundreds of environmental variables effect that to a significant degree. I'm not playing pattycake with IQ gains or depressions anymore and you need to step your game up and stop giving me stupid non-responses and claiming a logistical high road you're not on.
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2012/ninds-23.htm

Given minimal effort I can make you trip over your own rule set again with the fact that with Rush and Lynn's own data blacks cranially would only deviate from whites by no more than 2 IQ points, and that's assuming that these differences are completely genetic and reflect differences in the brain (highly unlikely given the studies that you ignored)
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=DwO4TtKAiCoC&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&ots=99LPYclRGP&sig=jxeo_cXUq0F33bwmn5Yr8w1zgeA#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC2964318/reload=0;jsessionid=aPAd50sCPWc5TBo1TTel.28

The study you curiously decided to ignore was the one dealing with neuronal conduction velocity, the old bullshit low sample size excuse failing to account for the fact that education level and age was more or less controlled for; as well as the study you decided to take as fact (due to the snippet of the quote stating brain volume size and nothing else) had less people, 44 whites and 33 blacks and stated that there were no notable differences in grey matter mass of the brain.

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-08 20:57:25

You have no grounds to attack me on correlation vs causation problems, when almost all of your arguments are built off that fallacy.

The problem is the authors pretend that g must be unitary at a biological level, which is not necessary in fact. It's a shame they made such a mistake.

It's not about G being uniary or not. The fact is when we examine the brain and all cognative talents that would be reflected in differences in brain function only 3 can reliably be said to play a part in differences in scores, and that when we reverse our search, IQ tests cannot test these talents well, it's essentially what it always was, a test of skill needed for success in western educational systems and job markets.

At 9/3/13 08:38 AM, poxpower wrote: GO MH HE'S OUR MAN, IF HE CAN'T DO IT NOBODY CAN !

Quit cheerleading

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-09 00:06:38

If you need further proof that g causes, say, academic achievement, you may be interested by Watkins & Canivez (2007). In their cross-lagged path analysis study, they were able to show that IQ influences education and not the reverse. Their model 2 (M2) in which each of the IQ latent factors at Time 1 had direct paths to the IQ latent factors and achievement latent factors showed the best fit to the data, while alternatives models (e.g., M3, which assumes direct path from achiev factor Time1 on both achiev factor and IQ factor at Time2). This is consistent with previous research, mentioned by Jensen (1980, pp. 336-337).

Related to this topic, you have Rindermann & Neubauer (2004) as well as Dasen Luo and co. (2003a, 2003b). Luo's papers are particularly interesting, in that they found (2003b) psychometric g, measured by Wisc (call it WISC-g), while correlated with Achievement (MAT variables), to be substantially mediated by processing speed (measured by CAT). In the 1rst paper (2003a), what you have is that CAT group factors are not important in predicting achievement (MAT), at the same time, the g derived from CAT (call it CAT-g) affects achievements measures essentially through the genetic paths, as assessed by the substantial chi-square changes in the models (see their table 8). All these are fully consistent with Jensen's hypothesis (see his 2006 book, Clocking the Mind). I should note as well that (Vock et al. 2011) basic cognitive processes could exert achievements outcomes through reasoning and divergent thinking, as can be seen from the fact that direct paths from mental speed to achiev. performance were not significant.

So if you ask whether or not we have proofs of causal link between IQ (g) and scholastic performance, I think it's safe to say : yes.

On the role of g in training success and job performance, you have Ree & Earles (1991, 1994). The title of the respective papers is self-explanatory. Psychomotor abilities do not have much validity beyond g, I must add. See Carretta & Ree (1997).

This said, about the videos poxpower has posted, it is not surprising that they are not interesting. First, if your english is limited, like mine, you wouldn't expect to hear everything very clearly. Second, is the fact that at a conference, you must summarize and condense as much as possible your findings. So, a lot of details are omitted. That's why I rarely see videos by now. It's useless. The most important portions of the academic papers are the method section and result section. These of course have been more or less omitted in such videos. Still related, you can see this video, debate Rushton/Suzuki. For the last one, you see how he uses fallacious arguments such as Lewontin's fallacy, discrimination hypotheses, and so on. I don't have need to debunk that again. I already covered this topic a lot on my blogs. You can also check the papers for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9FGHtfnYWY

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-09 00:29:56

Naronic,

I see that your level on this topic as lower than I expected from when I read this thread for the first time. I can beat even when I'm sleeping. I'm disappointed.

You said : "Firstly the Flynn effect doesn't mean nothing because you think it’s secular and fails to raise a statistical artifact to your satisfaction"

And I ask : what's the point of repeating an argument I crashed once in my previous interventions ? What's the use ? This is not a reply.

You said :"G simply comes from the stipulation that people whom are good at one test tend to be good at them all, and vice versa, and it’s relevance only goes as far as it’s correlations and estimates."

In my previous comment, I cited this paper. No comment from you.

You said : "measurement in-variance (which we've already discussed can't explain 20 point jumps in IQ)"

As usual, you're being ridiculous. FE gains vanish entirely when using IRT scores to remove item bias. I told you before to read it.

You spew : "Another area which you seem not to get me (as shown by you linking to Sesardic's paper) is how heritablility works."

It's a fantastic argument. Also, I bet I know how heritability works, much better than you do (as shown by you linking to Ted Block's paper).

You said : "It's why 'heritability' tends to become unpredictable when SES comes into play with a lot of different studies reporting a lot of different heritabilities at both sides of the spectrum, as well as why it tends to 'increase with age'."

At the same time, evidence does not support this hypothesis. I said it in my very first intervention on this thread. But you still continue ignoring my comments.

For the increasing IQ heritability with age, as your entire previous paragraph suggests, you rely on G*E correlation. I pointed out to this article. No reply, as usual. GxE correlation as accounting for increasing heritability is not the only hypothesized model, and as such is unlikely to be tenable. See also Brant 2013 comment on it, in the discussion section.

You said : "Me citing ned block 'worries' you because it's old (sigh),"

But I never said it. Learn to read. Simply. The problems with Block is that some genetic analyses were not available at that time. So yes, you must learn to read, as evidenced here and there, if you people here want to see why I said his level of comprehension on this topic is weak.

You said : "This paper in question finding that some genes can account for 1% of variation in IQ."

So, that's why in their paper, the authors write :

Only 1% (approximately) of the variance was explained in the prediction analysis due to the individual SNP effects being very small and therefore estimated with much error, which detracts to a great extent from the accuracy (8–11%) of the prediction equation. Our finding that 40–50% of phenotypic variation is explained by all SNPs is fully consistent with the low precision of a predictor based upon a discovery sample of ~3500 individuals; estimation of the SNPs’ effects is different from prediction accuracy.

Also, from Chabris (2012) :

Following Davies et al. (2011), we then dropped individuals whose relatedness exceeded .025. Davies et al. reported that the approximately 550,000 SNPs in their data could jointly explain 40% of the variation in crystalized g (N = 3,254) and 51% of the variation in fluid g (N = 3,181). We applied the same procedure in our analysis of data from the STR sample in Study 3 and estimated that the approximately 630,000 SNPs in our data jointly accounted for 47% of the variance in g (p < .02), thus confirming the findings of Davies et al. (2011) in an independent sample. These and our other results, together with the failure to date of whole-genome association studies to find genes associated with g, are consistent with the view that g is a highly polygenic trait on which common genetic variants individually have only small effects.

From Plomin (2013) :

We found that DNA markers tagged by the array accounted for .66 of the estimated heritability, reaffirming that cognitive abilities are heritable.

GCTA has been used to estimate heritability as captured by genotyping arrays for height (Yang et al., 2010), weight (Yang, Manolio, et al., 2011), psychiatric and other medical disorders (Lee et al., 2012; Lee et al., 2011; Lubke et al., 2012), and personality (Vinkhuyzen, Pedersen, et al., 2012). GCTA was first applied to cognitive ability in a study of 3,500 unrelated adults, which yielded heritability estimates of .40 and .51 for crystallized and fluid intelligence, respectively (Davies et al., 2011). The GCTA estimate for general cognitive ability was .47 in a meta-analysis across three studies involving nearly 10,000 adults (Chabris et al., 2012) and .48 in a study of nearly 2 thousand 11-year-old children (Deary et al., 2012).

The GCTA results from these initial studies appear to account for a substantial portion of the heritability of general cognitive ability found in twin studies, which, as mentioned earlier, meta-analyses have found to be about .50.

You said : "you need to step your game up and stop giving me stupid non-responses and claiming a logistical high road you're not on."

I reply : speak for yourself. I commented nearly all these, as well the link you give here again. But no answers coming from you.

You said : "(highly unlikely given the studies that you ignored)"

I ignored nothing. You ignore everything. I told you not to rely on small samples, and provide instead a large review or meta-analysis that look for moderators. Yes, you're the one being silly.

You said : "It's not about G being unitary or not."

It is. Moronic replies won't get you anywhere. Hampshire rebuttal is entirely based on the hypothesis that g is biologically unitary, which needs not to be the case in fact. They ignore Jensen's work, like you ignore my replies. I provided my response to Hampshire in my first long intervention, and here again you make repeat it 2 times more, so 3 times in total.

So then, Naronic, it's the last time I reply to you. I already said I won't reply to you until you come up with answers. You are really stubborn. So that was my last reply. Thanks for nothing.

If people here want to debate with him, for what it worths, I won't be here to reply.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-09 01:05:00

I'm busy. So I will simply list some good references on the topic related to how brain is linked to intelligence. It's not all I have, but they are probably the most interesting.

The Parieto-Frontal Integration Theory (P-FIT) of intelligence: Converging neuroimaging evidence
Genetic Influences on Human Brain Structure: A Review of Brain Imaging Studies in Twins
Associations between cortical thickness and general intelligence in children, adolescents and young adults
A genetic analysis of brain volumes and IQ in children
A multivariate analysis of neuroanatomic relationships in a genetically informative pediatric sample
The neuroscience of human intelligence differences
Review of Twin and Family Studies on Neuroanatomic Phenotypes and Typical Neurodevelopment
Neuroanatomical correlates of intelligence
Common variants at 12q15 and 12q24 are associated with infant head circumference

There is also Rushton & Ankney 2009 paper, Whole Brain Size and General Mental Ability: A Review, but I don't think it's the most important among those listed here. Probably the most interesting number is the correlation between g-loadings and brain size. But this has been reported in Jensen (1998) first, and the MCV technique is not without its limits.

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-09 01:50:13

^Is this all you brought to the table?
Again ignoring 50% of my arguments and conflating your ego?

I'm getting real tired of this, it's clear you're tripping over your own shoe laces so I'll just do a quick reply.

You said : "It's not about G being unitary or not."
It is. Moronic replies won't get you anywhere.

No it's not
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-05-debunking-iq-myth.html
The point is a simple IQ score is misleading when assessing one's intellectual capacity, not that said score isn't uniary in the brain (although that was certainly part of it)

It's not about G being uniary or not. The fact is when we examine the brain and all cognative talents that would be reflected in differences in brain function only 3 can reliably be said to play a part in differences in scores, and that when we reverse our search, IQ tests cannot test these talents well, it's essentially what it always was, a test of skill needed for success in western educational systems and job markets. And all 3 components effecting it can be changed significantly.

Hell why don't I just re-post everything you failed to respond to in any significant fashion

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2011/nimh-26.htm
At some point there has to be some empirical evidence, at some point we have to look at G and the brain and at the genes that would effect it. There is no genetic evidence of the kind of cognitive divide you're suggesting and the window only gets smaller and smaller with every genetic uncovering, I suggest you actually read the study.

I post again,

Firstly the Flynn effect doesn't mean nothing because you think it’s secular and fails to raise a statistical artifact to your satisfaction, it’s an inconsistency and nothing more. G simply comes from the stipulation that people whom are good at one test tend to be good at them all, and vice versa, and it’s relevance only goes as far as it’s correlations and estimates. When we look at the brain and the environmental effects on it and then turn around and look at what correlates with “g”, that is-- amount of white/grey matter, cortical thickness, neural efficiency, synapses, gene expression, neurons and the connections thereof between white and grey matter etc. All that changes and responds pretty heavily with environment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_enrichment_(neural)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)

If we accept that the way G is pitched, it doesn't respond to the environment, then that simply shows that G likely fails to correspond to any of it's real life correlates. It's a problem with G not the reality to which your trying to project it onto.

-----------------

Causality has already been empirically established between G and Iq tests, environmental factors, and the brain neurologically as I've told you before; inferiority of intelligence and G (at least how it's pitched) would be nested in the brain and hundreds of environmental variables effect that to a significant degree. I'm not playing pattycake with IQ gains or depressions anymore and you need to step your game up and stop giving me stupid non-responses and claiming a logistical high road you're not on.
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2012/ninds-23.htm

Given minimal effort I can make you trip over your own rule set again with the fact that with Rush and Lynn's own data blacks cranially would only deviate from whites by no more than 2 IQ points, and that's assuming that these differences are completely genetic and reflect differences in the brain (highly unlikely given the studies that you ignored)
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=DwO4TtKAiCoC&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&ots=99LPYclRGP&sig=jxeo_cXUq0F33bwmn5Yr8w1zgeA#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC2964318/reload=0;jsessionid=aPAd50sCPWc5TBo1TTel.28
The study you curiously decided to ignore was the one dealing with neuronal conduction velocity, the old bullshit low sample size excuse failing to account for the fact that education level and age was more or less controlled for; as well as the study you decided to take as fact (due to the snippet of the quote stating brain volume size and nothing else) had less people, 44 whites and 33 blacks and stated that there were no notable differences in grey matter mass of the brain.

-------------------

If your entire argument starts and ends with indirect correlations, speculation, and statistics in the light of actual empirical evidence of the phenomenon in question then you have a very flimsy argument.

-------------------

So I will simply list some good references on the topic related to how brain is linked to intelligence. It's not all I have, but they are probably the most interesting.

I think I've already acknowledged how the brain is linked to IQ scores, a part of my argument you always seem to conveniently miss.

I can tell you were ready to splurge genome wide IQ gene association studies in my face so I will simply reiterate what I said earlier

Genes simply cannot activate without being called upon to do so. When people talk about genexenvironment interaction they're not talking about the notion that twins look alike and therefore are treated the same way which would result in the same behaviors and subsequent IQ.
We're talking about twins responding to environmental stimuli in much the same way resulting in the subsequent environmental variables to effect them in much the same way. They would mold the environment with their behaviors and the resulting environmental variables for both such as music lessons, taking up certain sports would mold the degree to which genes are expressed, so on and so forth.
It's why 'heritability' tends to become unpredictable when SES comes into play with a lot of different studies reporting a lot of different heritabilities at both sides of the spectrum, as well as why it tends to 'increase with age'. You simply cannot decouple environmental effects from genetic effects.

G, being said to have high heritability doesn't show that, the brain can completely rewire itself and grey and white matter volume as well as neural efficacy and the connections thereof (stuff said to be highly correlated with G) can change significantly with the environment

cont below

BBS Signature

Response to The real inconvenient truth 2013-09-09 01:58:38

http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/en/media/2013/05/experience-leads-to-the-growth-of-new-brain-cells
http://jacobs.berkeley.edu/pdf/Jacobs_BB96.pdf
http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2013/05/the-emergence-of-individuality-in-genetically-identical-mice.html

Each of the mice was equipped with a special micro-chip emitting electromagnetic signals. This allowed the scientists to construct the mice's movement profiles and to quantify their exploratory behavior. The result: Despite a common environment and identical genes the mice showed highly individualized behavioral patterns. They reacted to their environment differently. In the course of the three-month experiment these differences increased in size.

"Though the animals shared the same life space, they increasingly differed in their activity levels. These differences were associated with differences in the generation of new neurons in the hippocampus, a region of the brain that supports learning and memory," says Kempermann. "Animals that explored the environment to a greater degree also grew more new neurons than animals that were more passive."

Adult neurogenesis, that is, the generation of new neurons in the hippocampus, allows the brain to react to new information flexibly. With this study, the authors show for the first time that personal experiences and ensuing behavior contribute to the "individualization of the brain." The individualization they observed cannot be reduced to differences in environment or genetic makeup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity#cite_note-7

Decades of research[6] have now shown that substantial changes occur in the lowest neocortical processing areas, and that these changes can profoundly alter the pattern of neuronal activation in response to experience. Neuroscientific research indicates that experience can actually change both the brain's physical structure (anatomy) and functional organization (physiology). Neuroscientists are currently engaged in a reconciliation of critical period studies demonstrating the immutability of the brain after development with the more recent research showing how the brain can, and does, change

BBS Signature