00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dakale just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of April 2013

22,066 Views | 32 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 13:58:32

Please check out A Small Favor on Kickstarter. Newgrounds sponsored the web versions of this series and would love to see it go all the way as a big PC / Mac / Mobile game.

The winners of the NG Commercial Contest have been announced!

Commercial Contest Winners (1st-3rd)

Thank you ForNoReason for organizing the Commercial Contest!

Your votes are in and the Best of April have been determined.

Top Five Movies

The top ranked movied based on original material and winner of $250 is The Reward!

Top Five Games

Sorry to everyone who got beat by Pico's School 2.

Runner-up Movies

6. BabyGroundz
7. Don't Touch Pac-Man
8. ZTV News Episode N
9. Lisa Killed Off Simpsons
10. Vertical Seafood Taco
11. Romanticide
12. TOME Episode 07
13. "I Am A GameBoy"
14. The Super Rope Solution
15. Lazy Writing 8.5
16. Jotun
17. Mortal Kombat FAILtality2
18. Retarded Animal Babies 9
19. Villainy - Puddle Trubble
20. Holiday

Runner-up Games

6. - The Wave -
7. CrateRun
8. COLORUS
9. Castle Guard 2
10. Medical Examination
11. Cygnus
12. The King's League Odyssey
13. Guild Dungeons 2
14. Host Master Deux
15. Balls Brothers
16. ButtonX20
17. Quantum Corps
18. Douchebag Workout 2
19. Hands of War 3
20. Magnetized

The voter of the month and winner of $100 is Dark-Ninja1!

Voting is really important because our judgment process has been moving pretty slow lately. Thank you everyone who contributes to the voting process; your votes have a big impact on not just where new entries place, but how efficiently our judgment process runs!

Congrats to the winners!

Next up will be the winners of the Construct 2 Touch Jam, along with a write-up of how various games ran on my iPhone, to hopefully help future HTML5 games work better on phones.

Also, we're close with a project system update that will fix the quirks and bugs that have come up this past month (publishing failures, missing thumbnails, etc.) while also streamlining the process to make it better than ever. Anticipating a launch next week! Sorry for the bugs and thanks for bearing with us.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:03:15

Hooray to Suncreaturestudios!

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:05:02

Hello Tom, how are you today?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:15:40

You're just now fixing that publishing problem? damn dude, I still feel bad about clogging up everyone's feeds hahah

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:20:13

At 5/8/13 01:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/614394
Sorry to everyone who got beat by Pico's School 2.

Ahahaha, Pico's School 2 has obtained the fifth position, however congratulations to all!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:22:17

At 5/8/13 02:05 PM, Slint wrote: Hello Tom, how are you today?

I'm allergic to whatever is going on outside!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:22:55

At 5/8/13 02:15 PM, Saminat wrote: You're just now fixing that publishing problem? damn dude, I still feel bad about clogging up everyone's feeds hahah

Yeah, my feed right now is mostly filled with "Deleted", been a long month.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:30:15

Stop giving me all these awards Tom, can't hold 'em al :(

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:40:54

Congrats to all the winners! Also interested in seeing what the update for the Project System is. Silly as it sounds, I kind of hope that it adds Art Portal functionality; for example, let's say one person is doing line art and another is doing coloring. The Project System would make it really easy for them to keep track of progress and such, just like the Audio Portal compatibility in the Project System did for musicians.

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 14:55:01

I ranked 8th.
Just, wow.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 16:09:05

Congrats to all of the winners.

At 5/8/13 01:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also, we're close with a project system update that will fix the quirks and bugs that have come up this past month (publishing failures, missing thumbnails, etc.) while also streamlining the process to make it better than ever. Anticipating a launch next week! Sorry for the bugs and thanks for bearing with us.

Sweet. Though are we going to expect some downtime when this happens?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 16:21:11

At 5/8/13 04:09 PM, Viper50 wrote: Sweet. Though are we going to expect some downtime when this happens?

I don't believe so. A lot of the downtime lately has been the result of a lot of back-end work being done with the hardware that powers the site.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 16:36:36

At 5/8/13 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/8/13 04:09 PM, Viper50 wrote: Sweet. Though are we going to expect some downtime when this happens?
I don't believe so. A lot of the downtime lately has been the result of a lot of back-end work being done with the hardware that powers the site.

Ah okay. I felt like asking just in case someone else wanted to know.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 17:12:13

At 5/8/13 02:30 PM, Kenney wrote: Stop giving me all these awards Tom, can't hold 'em al :(

game of the year is next?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 18:22:22

Awesome! Congrats to those who made monthly tops!

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 20:15:34

I'll post this newgrounds commercial entry as an honorable mention simply because I really liked it :)

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 20:38:28

Good job everyone and frick yeah!

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-08 22:19:42

Glad to see that The Reward won the top prize for this month! It was a great piece of animation. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it won the best movie award for 2013.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 00:29:55

At 5/8/13 08:15 PM, Tanadrine-Studios wrote: I'll post this newgrounds commercial entry as an honorable mention simply because I really liked it :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/611180

Woo! I'll gladly take an honorable mention ;P

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 08:16:52

altho the movies that won were well animated i wish rotmk disk 2 came in first... not even a mention :'(

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 10:53:31

Thanks Tom for the shout out!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 17:05:32

I'm glad PowerTrip & The Reward snatched the top two spots this month, them both just might be early favorites when 2013 is passed. Also, Pico School DX, woo. Congrats to the winners! Commercial winners too, hope this propaganda brings in a surge of new users!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 20:06:47

Thank you ForNoReason!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-09 22:11:35

I really enjoyed powertrip

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-10 02:13:55

At 5/8/13 01:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: Please check out A Small Favor on Kickstarter. Newgrounds sponsored the web versions of this series and would love to see it go all the way as a big PC / Mac / Mobile game.

It still looks like a longshot, but I pray they make it!! A quality game that's fun and safe for all ages is worthy goal indeed!

Voting is really important because our judgment process has been moving pretty slow lately. Thank you everyone who contributes to the voting process; your votes have a big impact on not just where new entries place, but how efficiently our judgment process runs!

Yyyyeah, the people who need to hear this, aren't listening (or reading the newsposts). They're just posting content, and scurrying back to YouTube or wherever, to see how many more followers they can get. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to mass PM a short statement, say, once a month, to any and all contributors/uploaders. Or just add a statement right before the user can submit the content, to vote on other peoples stuff.. since their submission also depends on votes to pass the Under Judgement phase, dammit.
Maybe if the drop down menu for games and movies were ordered differently, linearly (UJ, latest, greatest..), it might have an impact. For a good long while, the "Classic" Portal, was the main area of activity here. By side-lining that page, new and old users alike can't get a grip of the incoming action, unless they go to that page. Maybe by reordering the drop-down menus, and lowering the amount of views/votes, we can deal with the overly casual user.... those dabblers of already rated content ._.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-10 16:41:25

At 5/10/13 02:13 AM, VicariousE wrote: Good stuff

Alternatively, combining the UJ page with Latest; making it harder for people to evade voting decisively should make the UJ period significantly shorter. As I see it, there are two groups of users now, those who view new submissions solely through the UJ/Portal section, or those who view new submissions solely through Latest. Other than protecting a chunk of users from malicious entries, the split content view seems a bit needless IMHO.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-10 17:27:02

At 5/10/13 04:41 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Alternatively, combining the UJ page with Latest; making it harder for people to evade voting decisively should make the UJ period significantly shorter. As I see it, there are two groups of users now, those who view new submissions solely through the UJ/Portal section, or those who view new submissions solely through Latest. Other than protecting a chunk of users from malicious entries, the split content view seems a bit needless IMHO.

It's a contentious problem, has been since Tom split the movies and games up.. but I can understand why: to compete with YouTube and YouPron type layouts. Other user submitted content sites, have ridden the coat-tails of Newgrounds success easily, but at the cost of the human touch. What makes Newgrounds special, is the vetting of content, by it's users... and that's a tough sell considering the competition (which new users are most familiar with).

Just this year, there has been a paradigm shift in the internet as a whole. WOW has lost over a million subscribers to free online games, portable/phone apps are outpacing 4:3 or 16:9 PC monitor usage, McDonalds is reporting no growth; "...it's the economy, stupid!" Plus the internet is more fun when you can just show someone IRL, "Look at this video/game/app/picture", instead of inviting them home to do so.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-11 11:55:19

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-13 09:43:32

At 5/10/13 02:13 AM, VicariousE wrote: For a good long while, the "Classic" Portal, was the main area of activity here. By side-lining that page, new and old users alike can't get a grip of the incoming action, unless they go to that page. Maybe by reordering the drop-down menus, and lowering the amount of views/votes, we can deal with the overly casual user.... those dabblers of already rated content ._.

That's sort of a misconception though - while the Judgment process was working better before the 2012 redesign, the "Portal" page was steadily declining in visits. To new internet users, GAMES and MOVIES had meaning they understood, but "Portal" meant nothing, and "Flash Portal" translated as "page for an outdated, dying format that isn't nearly as exciting as all the other shiny new things on the web". So even if we had kept the "Flash Portal" button in the nav, the traffic would have continued to decline - probably exponentially over this past year due to the dramatic exponential shift that is happening - and we would likely be in the same situation we are now with the judgment process going too slow.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of April 2013 2013-05-15 04:23:40

Congrats to all the winners!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature