00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game

652 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-04 09:26:22

Hey,

I'm quite new into pixel art, but i have a few years of experience as a designer for web and print, and as a programmer.
Atm I'm coding on my Run'n'Gun Platformer and I'm not really happy with the start of my first tileset...

What do you think about the stonewalls and the stoneplattforms?
Can you tell me some good tutorials on how to draw tilesets? because those i've found aren't really helpfull...

greetings
BP

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-04 11:01:32

At 5/4/13 09:26 AM, busypixels wrote: Hey,

I'm quite new into pixel art, but i have a few years of experience as a designer for web and print, and as a programmer.
Atm I'm coding on my Run'n'Gun Platformer and I'm not really happy with the start of my first tileset...

Can you tell me some good tutorials on how to draw tilesets? because those i've found aren't really helpfull...

greetings
BP

I don't have much experience with pixel tiles but I can tell you the WASD-movement kind kind of a bummer for people with AZERTY keyboards (like me). To broaden your public, adding either arrow-key or optional QZSD-movement would allow more people to play your game.

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-04 13:48:39

At 5/4/13 09:26 AM, busypixels wrote: Hey,

greetings
BP

Hi, I actually really liked the detail in the tileset. The use of a brush to fade out the bricks was an interesting choice that worked well. You yourself touch on the issue of the subject matter, which is a pretty generic theme. With what I've seen, you could either a) develop the current tileset into a medival castle theme by making it more castle-y; or b) take what youve learned and work on a different theme. Like contemporary urban, rural farms, suburbs, government installation, space station. Your imagination is the tool and its all up to you.

Also you are too hard on yourself the Tileset is good, just needs more variety with doodads and things in it.

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-04 18:23:18

I liked the tileset as well, but if you want to improve on it or redo it for any reason, I found this guide quite informative. Good luck with your game!

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-05 15:00:53

At 5/4/13 11:01 AM, Nacco wrote: I don't have much experience with pixel tiles but I can tell you the WASD-movement kind kind of a bummer for people with AZERTY keyboards (like me). To broaden your public, adding either arrow-key or optional QZSD-movement would allow more people to play your game.

Yes, a few people told me that... the next version will either have a keyboard settings menu or at least arrow keys at second option

At 5/4/13 01:48 PM, ArkKay wrote: Hi, I actually really liked the detail in the tileset. The use of a brush to fade out the bricks was an interesting choice that worked well. You yourself touch on the issue of the subject matter, which is a pretty generic theme. With what I've seen, you could either a) develop the current tileset into a medival castle theme by making it more castle-y; or b) take what youve learned and work on a different theme. Like contemporary urban, rural farms, suburbs, government installation, space station. Your imagination is the tool and its all up to you.

Also you are too hard on yourself the Tileset is good, just needs more variety with doodads and things in it.

Thank you!
Do you know any horror platfromer or so... i would like to have cemetery or so and need a little inspiration xD

At 5/4/13 06:23 PM, luckylime wrote: I liked the tileset as well, but if you want to improve on it or redo it for any reason, I found this guide quite informative. Good luck with your game!

Thanks!
That tutorial looks really nice... i'm gonna work it out the next days :-)

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-05 16:51:37

At 5/5/13 03:00 PM, busypixels wrote:
Thank you!
Do you know any horror platfromer or so... i would like to have cemetery or so and need a little inspiration xD

Ghosts and Goblins? Castlevania?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts'n_Goblins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania

also this place is great for ideas and recolors

http://spriters-resource.com/

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-05 16:55:05

edit: heck if you PM me I could probably put something together, i'd just need to look at your current tilesheet for size dimensions. Like I could do some grass and tombstones and an iron fence that are original.

Response to Pixel Art In My Run'n'gun Game 2013-05-06 12:39:35

Thanks!
But I think I'm gonna do it on my own this time... I want to sell this piece on google play later...
But I really like your artworks! maybe we can start a project together in the near future ;-)