00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Does the 5-Pencil Method work?

10,461 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-28 20:56:31

I came across an ad that led me to a site called the "5-pencil method". I'm curious to know if anybody heard of it before. The instructor, Darrel Tank claims that students could draw extraordinary well, and in this case without ever having any past drawing experience at all. (posted is supposedly the first drawing ever of one of his students) I find it hard to believe but I'm really not sure if using this method will turn you into a Leonardo overnight. I'm wondering if anybody could share their thoughts on this, whether you have tried it or not. It seems too good to be true, but who knows. I assume there are no shortcuts to becoming skilled and that it takes a lot of hard work and a good amount of years to develop those skills, but who knows. Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated. Thanks! http://www.fivepencilmethod.com/free-video-drawing-tutorials /?gclid=CNGonqfP7rYCFeU5QgodxXEAvQ Here's the page if anyone wants to see it.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-29 12:18:57

I haven't heard of this five-pencil drawing method, but I imagine it refers to drawing with a variety of pencil hardnesses to maximize your value range. He probably also only teaches you to work from photo references, to judge from the examples.

Will the videos make you a great artist? I doubt they'll hurt. They'll probably teach you to understand value and copy photographs. Learning to draw from life and imagination are much more useful skills, but if you can avoid depending on photography as a crutch it can help your art immensely.

As far as the examples go, it's worth noting that the examples are from people who took the class in person rather than just watched the video, so I wouldn't expect identical results. I do find the idea of someone older than say, five, drawing for the first time implausible to say the least.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-29 12:44:49

Oh, it looks like he has people use grids too. It's a time consuming but exact method for copying images that makes it hard to improve on a reference- also explains why all the examples look the same.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-29 19:59:55

bollocks

BBS Signature

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-30 08:18:11

Copying something in exact detail is actually a pretty easy thing to do given enough time and a proper method.
Whether or not those people have that alleged level of skill previously and actually drew those pictures, if you told them to draw something that didn't actually exist, or even draw the exact same thing with a different method there'd likely be a gaping discrepancy.

Honestly, I'd say that kind of teaching is probably pretty damaging to people should they want to actually get serious about art because they'll see what they can do following that method and try to draw something else and it will come out a polished turd. Thinking the only way they can draw properly is that one method.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-04-30 10:41:23

i seriously doubt thats anyone first drawing ever

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-07-31 01:35:29

At 4/30/13 08:18 AM, M-Vero wrote: Copying something in exact detail is actually a pretty easy thing to do given enough time and a proper method.
Whether or not those people have that alleged level of skill previously and actually drew those pictures, if you told them to draw something that didn't actually exist, or even draw the exact same thing with a different method there'd likely be a gaping discrepancy.

Honestly, I'd say that kind of teaching is probably pretty damaging to people should they want to actually get serious about art because they'll see what they can do following that method and try to draw something else and it will come out a polished turd. Thinking the only way they can draw properly is that one method.

Im a member of the 5 pencil method community. although I haven't really watched all the video tutorials (some video tutorials are free but you have to buy the rest) i strongly doubt that you can actually draw something like that if you haven't had the decent skills required.

btw, Mr. Darrel Tank doesn't use in drawing his portraits. he draws freehand and then uses certain methods to make sure his drawings are accurate. he doesn't really discourage his students to use grids, but he doesn't encourage them either. He teaches them his own method.

Response to Does the 5-Pencil Method work? 2013-07-31 09:27:55

I really hate portraiture like that

I will never ever understand the appeal

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature