00:00
00:00

New Grounds Rebellion

8,559 Views | 178 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 01:48:22


Hey there ladies and gents. I've been throwing this idea around for a while now, but I really wanna bring it to light for all of you cool cats.

After talking, and collaborating on here (newgrounds) for quite some time, I've really loved how diverse and talented the vast majority of you are, and I thought that would translate very well over to a fighting game.

But not just any kind of fighter, ya see. All of the characters would be designed by us, voiced by us, and have fighting styles that represent each user in question.

The Name of the project shall be "New Grounds Rebellion" or NG Rebellion for short.

The story goes a little something like this.....

The regular users of New Grounds are having a good time, uploading content and just chilling, when a mass-influx of trolls come in, and start down-voting, and clogging up the site in general. Tom Fulp is too busy to deal with all of 'em, so he holds a Mass Tournament to find the best fighter to help bring down the horde.

Now, being that this is the realm of New Grounds, there are some who join the down-voters, as they offer more pay/promise fortunes untold/etc. These new-found alliances cause even more problems for the regular users, and an all out war occurs.

Blood will be shed, lines will be crossed, and no one shall be spared when the users rise-up in......

NEW GROUNDS REBELLION.

I just made up that story on the fly, but the general idea of a NG fighter in that format I really want to see come to light.

So folks, this is a call to arms. We need any and all talent. Fellow Writers, Voice Actors, Programmers, Animators, Composers, everybody. If you have even the slightest interest, come join the team. One thing though, we shall work on this until it is a fully realized, polished game.

It will most certainly take lots of effort. But hey, fortune favors the bold!


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 01:51:51


Shut up and take my money!!!

New Grounds Rebellion

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 01:56:08


At 4/24/13 01:51 AM, BlackStarMeister wrote: Shut up and take my money!!!

Hahaha, what do ya think, wanna help out? :)


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 01:59:28


Also, go ahead and start submitting character designs. Let us know a bit about them, whose side they are ultimately choosing to fight for "Users" or "The Corrupted" (another name for trolls), and why. You can submit only up to two characters, but you are more than welcome to design costume variants.

Above all else, have fun.


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 02:05:53


At 4/24/13 01:56 AM, greyhawk241 wrote:
At 4/24/13 01:51 AM, BlackStarMeister wrote: Shut up and take my money!!!
Hahaha, what do ya think, wanna help out? :)

Most def

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 02:29:40


At 4/24/13 02:05 AM, BlackStarMeister wrote:
At 4/24/13 01:56 AM, greyhawk241 wrote:
At 4/24/13 01:51 AM, BlackStarMeister wrote: Shut up and take my money!!!
Hahaha, what do ya think, wanna help out? :)
Most def

Awesome!


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 05:35:40


ok put me on your prospect list , im a flash animator . here's the link for my sample animations . https://www.youtube.com/user/pinoytoons . for more info just message me


spread the word!!!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 14:41:14


I'm down for musicss. What needs doing?


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 15:55:06


I am REALLY digging this idea. Partially due to my weakspot for NG style 2D fighters (Platformers or Defend the Portal style ones are the best).

I'm up for voice acting and music, and will offer any writing or miscellaneous assistance you'd like. I can hook you up with some artists and animators and maybe a programmer or two if this comes off the ground a bit - but first we need to get something going. A few progenitive character sketches, or backgrounds, or code, or anything really. Then this will come off the ground.

Keep me informed! I'll be checking back here when possible.

Oh, and you can find my voice acting and music on my profile. I don't have a ton of examples of voice acting yet (lots of cartoons in progress), but it is by far my strong suit.

I'm excited to see how this goes.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 18:25:20


i would like to help write it!! as you have seen some of my scripts before.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-24 21:38:49


This is soo great! I'd love to be part of this!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 00:20:05


I love these responses and enthusiasm. You guys are great! So, new question:

As far as styles of fighters go (1-1, smash bros style, Marvel versus Capcom style, Guilty Gear style, etc.) what format would you like to see this in. Please post below.


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 00:42:30


At 4/25/13 12:20 AM, greyhawk241 wrote: I love these responses and enthusiasm. You guys are great! So, new question:

As far as styles of fighters go (1-1, smash bros style, Marvel versus Capcom style, Guilty Gear style, etc.) what format would you like to see this in. Please post below.

None of the above. I have three primary suggestions.

The first is this, potentially with some differing backgrounds for levels.

The second is a platformer, in which you combat different users as you go. Of course, it wouldn't rely too heavily on the actual platforms except for combat dexterity, but it would give it a slight adventure feel.

Lastly, a turn-based rpg style of game. Sort of like the Epic Battle Fantasy series, in which you travel to each area defeating new foes.
This, of course, would be a much larger project, so it may not be so feasible. Still, it would be a lot of fun.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 07:05:13


At 4/25/13 12:42 AM, Himynameisjacob wrote:
At 4/25/13 12:20 AM, greyhawk241 wrote: I love these responses and enthusiasm. You guys are great! So, new question:

As far as styles of fighters go (1-1, smash bros style, Marvel versus Capcom style, Guilty Gear style, etc.) what format would you like to see this in. Please post below.
None of the above. I have three primary suggestions.

The first is this, potentially with some differing backgrounds for levels.

The second is a platformer, in which you combat different users as you go. Of course, it wouldn't rely too heavily on the actual platforms except for combat dexterity, but it would give it a slight adventure feel.

Lastly, a turn-based rpg style of game. Sort of like the Epic Battle Fantasy series, in which you travel to each area defeating new foes.
This, of course, would be a much larger project, so it may not be so feasible. Still, it would be a lot of fun.

Yes, I can program either platformer or turn based battle, and I'd prefer turned based as it's more a lot of fun yet much bigger, and would require more time, but I believe we can pull it off.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 11:55:55


Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'd be willing to lend my voice to such an endeavor. I have a couple demos on my profile.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 11:57:22


None of the above. I have three primary suggestions.

The first is this, potentially with some differing backgrounds for levels.

The second is a platformer, in which you combat different users as you go. Of course, it wouldn't rely too heavily on the actual platforms except for combat dexterity, but it would give it a slight adventure feel.

Lastly, a turn-based rpg style of game. Sort of like the Epic Battle Fantasy series, in which you travel to each area defeating new foes.
This, of course, would be a much larger project, so it may not be so feasible. Still, it would be a lot of fun.

These are all excellent ideas! I honestly think that a combination of the 3 would be pretty awesome:

Have the characters battling chumps like those, but with interactive environments (ala super smash bros.)

The platforms could be used to get from place-to-place, with many varying properties.

Lastly, for an rpg feel, leveling-up and combo-unlocking.

It all sounds very daunting, but with a big enough team, I guarantee we can pull it off! :)


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-25 21:29:21


At 4/25/13 11:57 AM, greyhawk241 wrote: These are all excellent ideas! I honestly think that a combination of the 3 would be pretty awesome:

Have the characters battling chumps like those, but with interactive environments (ala super smash bros.)

The platforms could be used to get from place-to-place, with many varying properties.

Lastly, for an rpg feel, leveling-up and combo-unlocking.

It all sounds very daunting, but with a big enough team, I guarantee we can pull it off! :)

Too much in the realm of "Super Smash Bros" may be a little too difficult, as well as data and graphic heavy.
However, I do like the idea of picking up items for healing, power-ups, etc.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 06:08:26


This sounds awesome! Up for helping as a composer. Each character should have their own musical theme that represents them.

Qualification:

BA(Hons.) in Music.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 13:58:31


ok guys i uploaded my concept character for this project . please fell free to check it out


spread the word!!!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 16:17:18


Feel free to use the APFG Engine https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG its a free and open source under GPL V3 game made to make a game I am making called Awesome Pony Fighting Game

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 17:25:19


It should be noted that characters would need to fall under one of a few categories, with similar attacks. More importantly, not every character can be equally notable, nor can every character be admitted. Primary workers would take priority, notable Newgrounders would follow suit, and lastly the remaining available slots would be filled with others.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 18:33:43


Awesome idea for a game! As for the fighters, will they represent real NG users? Personally I'd prefer designing a character to represent my alias rather than making a completely independent one: same name; appearance based on name. Would be cool if some weapons from the level icons could be included in the battle, maybe as special attacks for different characters, like a Banhammer blast, a rain of shurikens, a watergun with en electrifying finale, a lolipop that chokes the foe... stuff like that.

Would be good with some kind of template for character designs btw, maybe a front-side-back sketch, a ore-defined number of moves each one should have, based on different key combinations, voices to go with said moves, voices for idling/general movement/victory/defeat/etc.

Oh, and I'd be happy to participate btw. I could do my share of character design, voice acting for said character and/or others, eventually something else... interface design, backgrounds.. such stuff. This game has so much potential...


Check out the NRC / Hexa #54 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 18:52:00


At 4/26/13 06:33 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Awesome idea for a game! As for the fighters, will they represent real NG users? Personally I'd prefer designing a character to represent my alias rather than making a completely independent one: same name; appearance based on name. Would be cool if some weapons from the level icons could be included in the battle, maybe as special attacks for different characters, like a Banhammer blast, a rain of shurikens, a watergun with en electrifying finale, a lolipop that chokes the foe... stuff like that.

Would be good with some kind of template for character designs btw, maybe a front-side-back sketch, a ore-defined number of moves each one should have, based on different key combinations, voices to go with said moves, voices for idling/general movement/victory/defeat/etc.

Oh, and I'd be happy to participate btw. I could do my share of character design, voice acting for said character and/or others, eventually something else... interface design, backgrounds.. such stuff. This game has so much potential...

A lot of fantastic ideas here - particularly about including level icons in battle, and designing your own character.

Though, I think it would be best if we had readily available default characters based on prominent users or staff and the likes (Tom & Wade Fulp [maybe even as Siamese twins], Luis, JohnnyUtah, etc), then had a Custom Character option.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 19:03:42


So folks, this is a call to arms. We need any and all talent. Fellow Writers, Voice Actors, Programmers, Animators, Composers, everybody.

What type of music are you looking for? I can write in pretty much any style, and I'll have a lot of time to work this summer.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-26 22:05:55


At 4/26/13 07:03 PM, conorstrejcek wrote: What type of music are you looking for? I can write in pretty much any style, and I'll have a lot of time to work this summer.

Several different types would be preferable depending on the enemy and the scenery (music would likely have to come after level design or at least concept), but a decent beat would be necessary for the style of game.

Anything from Videogame to Dubstep to a strong Cinematic or even something Metal.


BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-27 01:12:56


I'm absolutely thrilled that this is taking off so much! :D I am a shit drawer, but lemme tell ya, I've done some polling, and it sounds like everyone is digging an almost "Guilty Gear" vibe, with items, hyper combos, and environmental hazards thrown in for good measure.

Character customization is certainly a must, as many of you have mentioned. Just to clear things up though, ONLY TWO CHARACTER SUBMISSIONS CAN BE EXCEPTED PER USER (for the initial cast). Otherwise the roster would be ridiculous! :O

Also, I agree with Himynameisjacob, we shall definitely have some well known characters, however I was more thinking these character would be more like gods (ala assist trophies in SSBB). The difference here being the more you used them in battle, the better those boons you got from them would become.


Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-27 01:48:11


guys we should have a list of people who wants to be involved in this project including their job


spread the word!!!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-27 03:54:19


I'm already experimenting with character ideas! Check this guy out, his name is B.A.N. User.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a0e567f2eaebf535e9a0a629 fd12b441

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-27 04:58:51


At 4/27/13 03:54 AM, skullzNHERO wrote: I'm already experimenting with character ideas! Check this guy out, his name is B.A.N. User.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a0e567f2eaebf535e9a0a629 fd12b441

That's awesome.