00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Does Music Theory Kill Creativity?

8,597 Views | 80 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 12:29:42

At 4/20/13 12:26 PM, Elitistinen wrote: OP is just trolling. Actually it's the opposite. Music theory fuels creativity.
I want to feed teh troll, but can't afford for another ban...

'Twill be known soon enough if he is indeed trolling...

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 12:43:09

At 4/20/13 12:26 PM, Elitistinen wrote: OP is just trolling. Actually it's the opposite. Music theory fuels creativity.
I want to feed teh troll, but can't afford for another ban...

Music theory can fuel creativity, imo- not a hard fact or anything :p

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 13:53:23

At 4/20/13 11:55 AM, camoshark wrote:
At 4/20/13 10:45 AM, frootza wrote:
At 4/20/13 10:33 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 4/20/13 08:03 AM, lasse wrote:
How profoundly deep from the depths of your ass did you pull that out of?
The whole idea of learning theory is to find techniques that you would have never found on your own. I would truly never have thought of substituting the V chord in a minor ii-V-I for it's altered counterpart to produce a V7(#9b13) chord, nor use the supertonic of the minor parallel (iimin7(b5) - I) as a dominant in a progression.

So deep Camo, it hurt when I was pulling it out!

He never learned to read music for a certain portion of his career. He "faked it". This is a fact.

I'm perturbed that you "disapprove" of self discovery in favor of book knowledge. Even though he developed Third Steam, it doesn't mean that he did so by reading any music. In his later life, I'm sure he got into it. But the Take Five era wasn't tainted by theoretical knowledge.

My argument deals with working on your ear. You can go on about learning theory all that you want, but if your ear sucks, then your music is going to suck too (you have some cool jazz tunes, don't get me wrong. Etude was pretty great!)

You can substitute the 5 in a minor 2, 5, 1 for a five seven without having studied an ounce of theory because you have a great ear.

I can read, I can write, and I've studied theory. But I've always been the guy who knows how to improvise and figure songs out by ear (after a first listen if not during my first listen) so I never got into it until I was a senior in high school.

Your initial argument dealt with something along the lines of painting more vivid imagery with your music. But who is to say that studying theory is the only way to do this? It most definitely isn't.

Theory is cool but don't worry if you don't study it if you've had a knack for music since birth yay!

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 14:20:37

I say, How can one break the rules if he doesn't learned them?

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 15:00:33

At 4/20/13 01:53 PM, frootza wrote:
So deep Camo, it hurt when I was pulling it out!

He never learned to read music for a certain portion of his career. He "faked it". This is a fact.

I dislike facts that supported by thin air. I've checked through multiple bios (including his own autobiography, and I haven't seen even the slightest reference to such a statement. I mean, he comes from a musician family, was trained on the piano since the age of 5, studied polyrhythms and polytonality with Darius Milhaud and majored in music at Mills College, so I really don't where your allegations are coming from.

I'm perturbed that you "disapprove" of self discovery in favor of book knowledge. Even though he developed Third Steam, it doesn't mean that he did so by reading any music. In his later life, I'm sure he got into it. But the Take Five era wasn't tainted by theoretical knowledge.

I never stated that I disapprove of self-discovery, I simply find it futile. I mean, I'm not in any way stating that formal education is the only way to success (I'd be the biggest offender in that regard), but whenever I find something awesome that I don't know of, I avidly search through theory books to try and theorize it so I can functionally integrate it into my music, which often times leads me to discover a whole new facet to theory I didn't know of.

In my mind, if you can't explain what you're doing, you don't really what you're doing.

My argument deals with working on your ear. You can go on about learning theory all that you want, but if your ear sucks, then your music is going to suck too (you have some cool jazz tunes, don't get me wrong. Etude was pretty great!)

Absolutely, glad we're on the same page there, although I'd also argue that the biggest factor would be imaginativity and creativity. It's one thing to know how to make it, but if you don't know WHAT to make, or make it meaningful, you're not any more advanced than you were prior to knowing it.

Your initial argument dealt with something along the lines of painting more vivid imagery with your music. But who is to say that studying theory is the only way to do this? It most definitely isn't.

To innovate in your field of work, you need to know it's extents, I thought we had previously established that. You can try and replicate people who HAVE actually learned their theory, but you can't hope to bring something new to the table.

Theory is cool but don't worry if you don't study it if you've had a knack for music since birth yay!

As a closing, I'd just like to say that I'm in no way condemning people who don't pursue musical knowledge, people have different reasons for making music, be it to express their feelings or to try and send a message, and to them, I say: Let not musical theory be a barrier to what you want to say, if you want to say it, just say it. But if you strive to be taken seriously, your language level is probably the most useful tool you can have at your disposal.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 15:12:26

At 4/19/13 10:13 PM, Acrylia wrote:
Well here's the thing: most people who do music theory in order to be able to write music come out with the mindset that you can only use the progressions and patterns that are common, and have to follow the rules that it has. Most of the people I've seen anyway.

Haha, music doesn't kill creativity. Music theory classes kill creativity

Tell your teacher that the reason it seems that music kills creativity, is because all of the stupid rules (no direct octaves/fifths/crossovers/common order of chords/etc) hold a person back from expressing themselves to the fullest extent.

Back in the day, a lot of churches excommunicated musicians for not using the III-VI-II-V-I common order of chords. That demeans the hell out of innovative expression

Music doesn't kill creativity, popular music theory rules do

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 15:56:28

I can tell you that Music Theory will never kill creativity. It's just a great tool to help you compose music along the way without depending on your feelings and thoughts alone. It can help push creativity when you're having writer's block, allow you to analyze your own personal composing patterns thus helping you learn more about the way you work and better convey that method to people as well as what patterns appeals to you.

If you're planning to write professionally, it definitely help to learn some theory because you're not going to always be into what you're working on and sometime won't be able to go on creativity alone. We're not even talking about any complex theory here. Just knowing some of the basic can help push your work to new heights.

I don't know a whole lot myself about the more complex side of things, but I do know how to use chords and read music at a basic level. Once I got my scales down pat on my saxophone, I had the ability to improvise to chord changes by ear while others who had a ton more music theory under their belt couldn't. Now because of that improvising skill, I can compose music faster and better than I used to.

I believe that it's all about the composer's way of thinking. Some can do it more formally while others (like me) can do it by ear and what we get out of our heads. That kind of creativity doesn't come easy for everyone, so we should respect it. However we should respect the theory too because it connects us musicians as a method. As you already know music preference is different for everyone and music theory, even at it's most basic level, can help us to explore and see through the perspective of others regardless of if we share it or not.

So it doesn't kill creativity. In fact, it can help us to understand the creativity in ourselves and others. Don't be afraid to learn.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 16:47:06

At 4/20/13 04:19 PM, jaysummers759885 wrote:
At 4/20/13 03:12 PM, OHD wrote:
So yeah, I don't think Music Theory is the culprit necessarilyy that kills creative music in popular music, but it does play a hand in business ruining art.

Nice.

~J

That's another good point.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 19:31:58

At 4/20/13 07:52 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 4/20/13 04:43 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Inspiration combined with information is unstoppable. I am far from a music theory expert, but anybody who believes they should not study music theory at all is either a moron or lazy imo.
That's kind of insulting to people like myself who choose to not study theory because they like to discover things in their own way. I like the journey and experimentation of trying everything for myself rather than reading about it in a book.

Apologies if I insulted anyone, but I still stand by what I said (maybe in not so bombastic terms lol). I don't know about you guys, but whenever a chance to learn most anything music-related arises, such as a free course on Coursera, or a really good article etc, I always take it.

By doing this, I've learned that the knowledge you can gain on music can become invaluable tools. Never have I regretted doing the boring work to learn, but I have regretted not doing it earlier!

Unless you're some prodigy, artistic flares can only get you so far. And even then, most prodigies had to learn the boring stuff too!

Learn EVERYTHING you can from those more experienced in you. It may be tedious and boring, and you might feel like you're being held back. But once it comes together, you will notice a huge improvement in the way you go about writing and producing.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 19:33:36

At 4/20/13 07:31 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Learn EVERYTHING you can from those more experienced THAN you

*fixed

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 20:00:02

At 4/20/13 07:48 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I saw A LOT musicians who go far beyond success in music, which most of them have little or no music theory training. Do they look unsuccessful? Also, you have music training right? How far are you going into success? Good to brag about if you know you have more creativity than those who are more successful than you.

Actually, I haven't had much music theory training at all! Most of my learning has been on sound design, mixing and just recently songwriting, mainly lyrics and melody (I did a free 6-week course on this, and the amount I learned was incredible). Seeing this thread has reminded me that I should learn some more theory soon.

Music theory only helps to guide you through certain part in music composition. The rest of journey has to do with your skill. Look it as this way: music theory is a boat, it helps you float, but you need to row it in order to move on. Many people have little or no music theory training but still able to write amazing songs.

I won't disagree here. Some of my favourite tunes are written by those who have little skill in theory! But again, I still stand by it that learning music theory WILL help and to not learn it because you think it may stifle your creativity is the wrong decision...

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 21:28:45

I don't really have time to read all the posts on this thread thus far so apologies if I'm repeating something.

If you ask me, having to learn music theory can feel like it's dumbing down the creative aspects, it's like learning maths or science, it depends on how it's taught really.

That said, fresh theory is one of the most valuable things a musician can attain, especially as a composer, and most everyone should learn basic grounding really, depending on what type of music they want to produce.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-20 21:46:06

Music theory is like math.....

You have work through all the equations to find a proper product

Check out my stuff in order to win a free hug

Click here for my cool music and stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 01:14:02

Every musician is different. Some musicians can do amazing things with it, some can't.

For example, Miles Davis obviosly did good things with his theory knowledge.

But Hendrix knew no theory and managed to play and construct some of the prettiest chords i've ever heard.

Point being, everyone is different, so how people use music theory depends on the person.;

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 01:29:49

Well, reading through all this, I think I'll throw my two cents in;

Music Theory doesn't kill creativity, it gives you a giant dictionary of everything that's possible in the music world. Alot about music theory is Analysis and Trial/Error- having knowledge of music theory doesn't hurt at all, but it works better if you started writing music before you started learning theory.

Now, why would I say that? Even though I've been taught specific snippets of theory here and there by my directors(Twelve Tone Matrixes anyone?) I've never taken a day of formal training in my life. Everything that I learned is either by myself or under the supervision of great people here(Trois, Camo, Samulis, Waffles, etc.) and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though I was trained formally in Music Preformance, I had to learn Composition on my own- something that was daunting when I first started. I had a few breaks here and there when I had writer's block, but most of what I did was trial and error. Once I started learning more about structure, chords, and progression, I started to apply them to the ideas I already was working on, giving myself not a box to contain myself, but a book to reference back to when needed.

Nowadays, years into my endeavor in composition I can no longer say I don't know theory, since I know a good bit of it and I finally have a chance to take the class next semester, but fact of the matter is that Music Theory doesn't kill creativity IN MOST CASES; it helps the mind think of things to move into whenever you're faced with a unresolveable chord, it helps the mind realize that they're writing a False Cadence, not a French one. it helps the mind write jazz ballads with a bit of some (F#m7b5->B7#5->Emin7) and then going from there.

Music Theory is not a box, it's a book.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 07:01:43

At 4/21/13 01:29 AM, NimblekidX wrote: Music Theory is not a box, it's a book.

That's a really nice way of putting it. :)
To be fair, I think it's impossible to NOT pick up some theory as you go along. For example, I know classical notation, I know how to read chords (and tablature helped a lot there), but I also know what dissonance is and how to create it in a piece. I think everyone eventually picks up theory in their own way as part of the process of becoming a composer, but that at first everything you do has no name. In time you learn the names and it takes on another meaning, a 2nd meaning that doesn't always replace the first, but that can deepen or change your own understanding of something.

Not having learnt something for yourself before hand takes away that magical feeling of deep understanding. I can read up on theory and learn a lot sure, but will I LEARN? That's the point I'm trying to make. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 07:22:03

To me and most of the people here, no. To some, yes, it does. But the only reason it does kill their creativity is because they treat theory as a box, essentially suffocating their creativity in the long run. But as soon as they open that box and let in fresh air, like the imagination, then creativity can start to breathe again. I have a friend who kept his self-taught theory knowledge as a box, but he's now starting to realize that opening the box and bending the rules can benefit you greatly after watching how I approached one of his projects.

There are also people, like MetalRenard, who don't need a lick of theory to understand to be creative. They simply let the natural musicians in them to take over and create great music. And I feel like these people need to be recognized and respected as well. I mean, why is it that I feel like not knowing theory is treated with such hostility in the music world sometimes? Sure theory can help with understanding of why things work and what works with what, but I honestly don't feel like you need it if you've already got a gift for music and aren't curious about how theory fits into it all.

Speaking of a musical gift, not to toot my own horn here, but I kind of want to talk about myself. Now I was born into a musical family, everybody (mainly on my mom's side) having been in music one way or another. So growing up, I was able to pick up some theory from listening to my mom play the flute and watching the notes on her sheet music, reading one of my grandmother's piano lesson books and plucking out songs. All throughout school, I was in Choir, so my ear for music just kept getting fed as my knowledge grew, even more so by voice lessons. But until I got FL Studio, with it's great piano roll to doodle on and some great tutorials on Youtube, my creativity was nonexistent and I don't think I would have ever been able to make my own original music, let alone make trance. Now when I write, I don't need to think about theory or really even put it to use intentionally, my mind and ear have grown so used to the way music works, certain keys, which I can pluck out no problem and create a song in that key, and I was just well, born with it. Sorry if I seem braggy, but there are some people, like me, who don't know advanced music theory but understand it, and are intuitive and talented enough to be able to write music without formal training. We may not know what we're doing half the time, but what we do know is that we're creating music, and it's something a lot of us love, so don't stifle our creativity when you find out a good musician doesn't know theory.

Wow, didn't mean for that to turn into storytime/rant. Whoops, sorry.

TL;DR
It depends on how you treat theory, honestly. You don't need it but sometimes you do. Every musician's different and you need to find out what works for you. Need theory? Great. Don't need it? Good for you.
As long as you create good music, you earn my respect.
:Two cents

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 07:48:34

At 4/21/13 07:22 AM, DylnMatrix wrote: As long as you create good music, you earn my respect.

This. Great conclusion to the whole discussion. Good man.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 12:59:15

At 4/19/13 10:07 PM, Acrylia wrote: This is a debate my music theory class is having, and you guys should chat it up too.

So the question is, do you think that music theory as a whole helps or hinders creativity?

It actually helped me quite a bit, and I was surprised. I was already writing my own tunes before I learned theory on college, so I didn't NEED music theory, since our basic progressions and playing styles we hear in modern music evolved from older practices of theory, I guess I knew what I needed to know to get the job done. But understanding the older way they did things like your basic counterpoint, and some of the more rigid practices helped me develop and understanding of why the did these things. Also, when I learned it, it was like adding yet another tool in my arsenal. I had to learn the rules, so I could learn how to write in their style they were using in that period. It helps to know the rules, because you then learn how to break them to your advantage when you want to use what you've learned in the class to apply to your own personal music later.

Think of it another way: every time you listen to a new form of music, you are ultimately influenced by it somehow, and it's how each person develops their writing style. We're a product of our environment, and I feel like the more we expose ourselves to, the greater understanding we'll have for music, and the more versatile we'll be.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-21 23:04:42

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

At 4/19/13 10:07 PM, Acrylia wrote: Does Music Theory Kill Creativity?

No.

Cheers!

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-22 03:43:55

What does one consider "Music Theory"?

Is it the knowledge of chords and timing etc?

If so, then no. I don't learn theory myself and I don't plan to, but the rules are there for a reason; things sound better when you follow them.

However, if anything is strictly encouraged, such as song structure, then it would kill creativity, as you would be working within limits.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-22 04:10:10

When learning classical music theory I sometimes have these exercises where I have to write my own melodies after a beginning phrase is given to you. There are tonnes of rules I have to follow if I want to get good marks in it.

For the other theory nerds on here... I need to make sure the first half of the melody ends on an imperfect cadence and the final half on a perfect cadence. I need to make sure that every time I use a leading note, it's followed by the tonic. I can't add accented notes in quiet sections. If the tempo is fast, I should use eighth/sixteenth notes; if it's slow then I should use half notes and fourth notes. I can't make notes outside the given key. No augmented note intervals. The list goes on...

I feel like all these rules really limit me as a composer and makes it feel like I'm getting marks for following rules rather than for writing a coherent, enjoyable melody. This kind of stuff DOES limit creativity, even if so many other things in music theory have helped me in my music.

However, the principle of music theory (or any art form in that matter) is that you should first learn the rules and then you can break them. Just because you learn music theory doesn't mean you're suddenly bound to the rules that come with it. The rules I mentioned were only abided to in very early eras like the Baroque era anyway, and I'm only following them for marks. I can use their principles in my music if I want, but I'm not forced to.

Then there are tonnes of other things in music theory that truly have helped me and will help anyone else, like modes, chord progressions, cadences, etc. I would have never thought of making a song in the Phrygian scale, which is basically C major starting and ending on E (and of course any transpositions of it). Even if I did think of it, I wouldn't have thought of shifting the third note of the scale up a semitone for the Jewish scale. These two scales sound awesome and work fantastically for world/ethnic music.

So yeah, like many other people in this thread, my point is that music theory will do nothing but help you, so don't worry, it won't bite.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-22 10:00:16

The argument is stupid. Knowledge is knowledge, and you can use it or not use it however the fuck you want.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-22 18:22:45

Well....
To a certain extent we as humans like hearing similar music, it is soothing.

That doesn't mean we might find new things we might like. (or stop making them)

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 05:53:37

So here are my two cents on this:

This is the long held debate over whether or not formal training kills creativity, regardless if it's for art or music or filmmaking.
In my opinion, music theory is a toolset. Back in the 18th century, the great composers of the day developed a toolset which has been passed down to us nowadays as classical music theory. However there were 15th century composers who utilized a different set of tools for the music of their time. Jazz composers recently have also developed their own tools alongside Blues musicians.
I think those who have learned music theory should use it to help express their creativity. It's entirely up to you if you want to use classical theory, jazz theory, or even just create your own theory. Whatever works best for you.
I'm sure there are those who feel that the many many rules of classical music theory are restricting and can stop you from reaching full creativity. To that I'd say your tool is insufficient for doing what you want to do. Either learn more theory or try an entirely different theory altogether.
There are many who write wonderful pieces without knowing a shred of music theory. Historically, folk music and tribal music have been passed down in this manner. And that's just fine. If you never formally learned music, you can be just as creative or uncreative as someone who has learned it.

tl;dr Music theory is just a tool.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 07:33:53

At 4/23/13 05:53 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: So here are my two cents on this:

tl;dr Music theory is just a tool.

Thank goodness for tl;dr! ;P

And what Breed said.

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 10:30:30

I always thought there was too much confusion on this.

Music theory is not a prescribed method of writing music; it is a way to analyze existing music. The theory applied differs depending on the music analyzed and the period/culture from which it comes. All music builds on previously existing music and the composers/players attempted new things, which theorists later created systems of analysis to understand in a more clear and structural fashion. Yes, often these musicians used these systems knowingly, but this is not the chief role of theory, otherwise as people here have said we'd still be writing the same way they did centuries ago.

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 13:59:39

At 4/20/13 12:37 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'm gonna admit right now, that I haven't read anyone's responses... because it's late, and I work in the morning... and I need to be in bed soon... but I wanna share my 2 cents anyways.

Ditto. I've read nothing here. Contrary to BFP however, I will refuse to contribute to this discussion at all as it is a waste of time and creative energy. Ya'll should be writing music. Who cares how you do it or even if it's any good. writewritewritewritewritewritewriteweuewiweuweiweuwiewiuewww wwww

write more.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 21:48:18

At 4/23/13 05:53 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: ...or even just create your own theory. Whatever works best for you.

Ahhh!!! Harry Parch!! Irregular Temperaments!!! Get it out! D:

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Does Music Theory Kill Creativity? 2013-04-23 22:34:02

At 4/23/13 09:48 PM, samulis wrote:
At 4/23/13 05:53 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: ...or even just create your own theory. Whatever works best for you.
Ahhh!!! Harry Parch!! Irregular Temperaments!!! Get it out! D:

Worked for him. xP