00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The artbook of The Micheal Murray!

6,019 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

First off, yes, yes I did just call myself the Micheal. But back to topic :P just really starting a thread like numerous others showing off my art for crits. Been studying a lot of pose work, hands, feet, anatomy etc so I will post up some of that later if I get time. I'll try to post pretty frequently but real world stuff makes me busy so my time is somewhat limited. Anyway here is my first drawing of an OC by George gant (google him, he is awesome!) called reset the monkey. Really just trying to get used to my new pentel pocket brush pen. Started as a quick sketch and threw some inks on it. Used a .5 mech pencil, pentel pocket brush pen, and a staedtler .3 pigment liner. This was pretty relaxed and naturally if I had been doing more of a serious piece I would have spent more time at it but here it is, hope you like! All inputs would be loved! :3 thanks :)

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-13 19:19:10

some quick pose practice of a character called ubi from an indie developers game in progress Super ubi Land, here's a link to it you should check it out! http://notiongames.com/ Anyway tools I used were a .5 mechanical pencil, staedtler pigment liner .3 and pentel pocket brush pen. Tons of stuff that could be better but as I said just some pose practice! I do study realism anatomy aswell btw, not just stylised stuff :) Enjoy, any comments and crits I would love, thanks all! xD

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-13 19:25:10

here some of my ink work over a pencil sketch by chris craineyhis page to check his pencil work, its awesome!, done in manga studio.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-13 19:26:47

Another pose practice, this time of reset the monkey created by George Geo Gant who also has a cool comic strip, on the grind.if you wanna check it out

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-15 14:49:50

Practicing poses, decided to draw magneto. Just a rough sketch that I threw some inks on(im uploading those aswell) But haven't completed yet

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-15 14:51:01

Inks to that magneto, havent finished yet.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-15 15:01:00

Inks to that magneto, havent finished yet.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-15 15:06:07

oops didnt realise I double posted, my bad! Anyway this one is of the famous character Hellboy! Actually im offering this one up for sale if anyone wants it! PM me if interested and we can talk about it, its pretty much first come first served for the original drawing and i think I might do prints aswell! This isnt finished btw, still going to be cropping up the page and cleaning up a few things. Anyway I hope somebody wants it and I hope you enjoy it :)

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-16 06:59:35

I notice this is an issue for your stuff too but i've always wondered how traditional inkers for comic book artists and the like got -perfect- opaque black in their work, in your inks and the ones ive tried too you can always see varying shades of black and the brush strokes as well which doesn't look nearly as good as a perfect sheen of black without brush strokes or any other marks. Have any idea what they might be doing different?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-16 10:48:46

At 4/16/13 06:59 AM, Template88 wrote: I notice this is an issue for your stuff too but i've always wondered how traditional inkers for comic book artists and the like got -perfect- opaque black in their work, in your inks and the ones ive tried too you can always see varying shades of black and the brush strokes as well which doesn't look nearly as good as a perfect sheen of black without brush strokes or any other marks. Have any idea what they might be doing different?

Hmm yeah I know what you mean, usually when I'm posting up finished works I scan em into the computer and when getting rid of the blue lines etc I adjust the level to make the shade of black all the same

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-17 17:07:16

My first time EVER writing upa proper strip and drawing one, please give me your opinions, whether you thought it was humorous, things to improve and all that good stuff! Thanks a bunch peeps!

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-17 21:59:27

At 4/17/13 05:07 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: My first time EVER writing upa proper strip and drawing one, please give me your opinions, whether you thought it was humorous, things to improve and all that good stuff! Thanks a bunch peeps!

I think the whole "IF THE INTERNET SAYS IT, IT MUST BE TRUE" joke is overplayed, I mean it's even a tv commercial. I also think your panels could be more developed. Parts of your panels are simply non-existent, the hatching is pretty lazy in the backgrounds especially, and it's hard to read your type with all the lines going through it. Try making another and spending more time developing your character designs and environments and all that good stuff!

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-17 23:21:15

At 4/15/13 02:49 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Practicing poses, decided to draw magneto. Just a rough sketch that I threw some inks on(im uploading those aswell) But haven't completed yet

Can I just ask why a holocaust survivor like Magneto is heiling Hitler?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 02:54:19

At 4/17/13 09:59 PM, Spags wrote:
At 4/17/13 05:07 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: My first time EVER writing upa proper strip and drawing one, please give me your opinions, whether you thought it was humorous, things to improve and all that good stuff! Thanks a bunch peeps!
I think the whole "IF THE INTERNET SAYS IT, IT MUST BE TRUE" joke is overplayed, I mean it's even a tv commercial. I also think your panels could be more developed. Parts of your panels are simply non-existent, the hatching is pretty lazy in the backgrounds especially, and it's hard to read your type with all the lines going through it. Try making another and spending more time developing your character designs and environments and all that good stuff!

Thanks dude for taking the time to crit. It's funny but I wasn't even thinking about commercials like that when I came up with that strip, it was actually to do with the Boston bombs, basically some lads on my Facebook were bullshitting away about all these conspiracy theories etc.. With no evidence, so that's how it came about. :P I take your point on the panels, but it is actually because I didn't edit the levels properly in ps cause I was in a rush. And i kow my handwriting is fucking TERRIBLE lol but the actual proper lettering ill do in a computer, i really just wanted to get the joke down in some form o guess. The reason the hatching is lazy as yo rightfully said is because I'm planning to ink this. I really only use the shading as a kind of rough just so I wouldn't be totally lost on it with inks. Thanks for your comment though, I'll take in what you said for sure

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 04:04:24

Hello. Allow me to welcome you to the Art Forum. I see you seem to be using the technique of cross-hatching. It is a very great technique to master under your belt considering how versatile and aesthetically pleasing it is if done correctly. The trick to being able to make good hatching is having neat varying lines covered over one another. Use thicker lines for dark places and use lighter and thinner lines for places near to the light source.

Here is something to make it easier to understand.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 05:42:06

I'd love to see you working on better paper- it looks like you're just using printer paper. Why not get a sketchbook with some drawing paper? It's a great way to keep your work all in one place, and it helps keep things portable.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 07:33:22

At 4/18/13 05:42 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I'd love to see you working on better paper- it looks like you're just using printer paper. Why not get a sketchbook with some drawing paper? It's a great way to keep your work all in one place, and it helps keep things portable.

^ this, Also I think that some good heavy weight bristol or something would help prevent with some of that ink being splotchy like I was seeing on some of your other pieces.
What type and brand of ink are you using?

You probably said, but I only half read these some times, I tend to just skim and look at the art.

Also be sure to stir or shake up your ink before using, I really didn't think it mattered until my boss used his lifetime of art knowledge to really show me that it does matter...

You know the good stuff settles in the bottom

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 09:23:30

At 4/18/13 07:33 AM, Kinsei wrote:
At 4/18/13 05:42 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I'd love to see you working on better paper- it looks like you're just using printer paper. Why not get a sketchbook with some drawing paper? It's a great way to keep your work all in one place, and it helps keep things portable.
^ this, Also I think that some good heavy weight bristol or something would help prevent with some of that ink being splotchy like I was seeing on some of your other pieces.

actually I have a binder that I keep all of it in, the reason I dont use sketchbook paper is just because since its only studies i dont feel it vital to get them, plus the binder can hold more.

What type and brand of ink are you using?
You probably said, but I only half read these some times, I tend to just skim and look at the art.
Also be sure to stir or shake up your ink before using, I really didn't think it mattered until my boss used his lifetime of art knowledge to really show me that it does matter...
You know the good stuff settles in the bottom

Yeah right now im using the pentel pocket brush pen, anyone know of any refillable cartridge type thing for it? Last time I checked there wasnt but that was from an article like 2 years ago or 3. A
I am planning on buying some good bristol aswell for proper drawings and my comics/ comic strips.
Would shaking the ink cartridge be any good to what you said?

Thanks for the crosshatch example and all the stuff youve posted up so far, keep it comi guys I really appreciate it! :)

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 12:28:32

At 4/18/13 09:23 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Yeah right now im using the pentel pocket brush pen, anyone know of any refillable cartridge type thing for it? Last time I checked there wasnt but that was from an article like 2 years ago...

Yeah! I also have a Pentel pocket brush and if you go to any art store where they sell the brush pens, they should have refills in packs of 2 available right next to the pens. Also, that's a good pen for line work, but I don't know if its the best choice for filling in big flat areas of black.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 15:33:55

At 4/18/13 12:28 PM, Spags wrote:
At 4/18/13 09:23 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Yeah right now im using the pentel pocket brush pen, anyone know of any refillable cartridge type thing for it? Last time I checked there wasnt but that was from an article like 2 years ago...
Yeah! I also have a Pentel pocket brush and if you go to any art store where they sell the brush pens, they should have refills in packs of 2 available right next to the pens. Also, that's a good pen for line work, but I don't know if its the best choice for filling in big flat areas of black.

Oh I got me plenty of those xD was more talking about a cartridge that you can put your own ink into really. Yeh ill probably buy a bdush and some ink for filling in blacks. My only standpoint is that since its meant for reproduction, I can just edit the levels surely? Posting up inked strip soon!

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 15:36:50

At 4/15/13 02:51 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Inks to that magneto, havent finished yet.

When you're working in all black, make sure that you're very careful when it comes to shading. If you go just even slightly overboard, the entire image can appear to be muddied out and messy.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-18 15:45:04

At 4/18/13 03:36 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 4/15/13 02:51 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Inks to that magneto, havent finished yet.
When you're working in all black, make sure that you're very careful when it comes to shading. If you go just even slightly overboard, the entire image can appear to be muddied out and messy.

Oh yeah for sure, to be honest I'm not used to composing my own realisticish comic characters from scratch and putting on inks, I usually go over someone else's pencils. I'm more used to a cartoony strip style I guess, ut that's why I'm practicing ^_^ thanks for the feedback!

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-19 09:28:06

At 4/18/13 09:23 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: I am planning on buying some good bristol aswell for proper drawings and my comics/ comic strips.
Would shaking the ink cartridge be any good to what you said?

Yeah a gentle yet firm shake would probably help stir it up. you don't want to go too wild or else you'll end up making a mess with the ink.

Also I recall a quite a few artist using just straight brush and ink or black gouache to get some really solid blacks in large areas

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-19 16:58:36

Getting some bristol soon guys!! :D any recommendations on a good scanner for a reasonable price that suitable for the 11 x 17, mines is too small

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-19 17:22:52

So ive inked out the strip and changed the joke a little bit, added in something a bit more suttle I hope ;) Hope you enjoy it and thoughts welcome! :D

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-20 00:51:36

At 4/19/13 05:22 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: So ive inked out the strip and changed the joke a little bit, added in something a bit more suttle I hope ;) Hope you enjoy it and thoughts welcome! :D

Remember when I said watch the black earlier? This is what I meant, hahaha. Some spots are just way too dark and muddy looking.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-20 16:10:30

At 4/20/13 12:51 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 4/19/13 05:22 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: So ive inked out the strip and changed the joke a little bit, added in something a bit more suttle I hope ;) Hope you enjoy it and thoughts welcome! :D
Remember when I said watch the black earlier? This is what I meant, hahaha. Some spots are just way too dark and muddy looking.

Hahaha yeah you're right. I have an idea of how I can change that when I get some time.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-22 08:09:50

new strip coming soon :D

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-22 10:33:23

At 4/22/13 08:09 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: new strip coming soon :D

Please don't bump your thread with comments like that. No one cares what you plan on doing down the road or what your schedule is. We want to see practice and progress. I would highly recommend doing some shading sets using the examples Fifty posted above and bumping your thread with the results. If you can master that, it will make a drastic difference in the outcome of your comics.

Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! 2013-04-22 10:58:20

At 4/22/13 10:33 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 4/22/13 08:09 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: new strip coming soon :D
Please don't bump your thread with comments like that. No one cares what you plan on doing down the road or what your schedule is. We want to see practice and progress. I would highly recommend doing some shading sets using the examples Fifty posted above and bumping your thread with the results. If you can master that, it will make a drastic difference in the outcome of your comics.

Heh alright no problem :P Ill do what you suggest and work on those exercises like Fifty Posted above and post up when im finished. Cheers