00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report

27,791 Views | 57 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-10 17:34:50

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-10 22:15:25

Hey TomFulp what do you think of this html5 player for animations http://www.synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3835
It still is work in progress but with a little help it could become stable. Player under MIT license.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-10 22:17:39

At 4/9/13 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.
The majority of the good web games are still being made with Flash and we have almost 15 years of Flash content - the goal will be to support that for eternity.

So you could keep all those old content. But create a policy that all new content by 2015 will be made in HTML5.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-10 22:20:24

At 4/10/13 10:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 4/9/13 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.
The majority of the good web games are still being made with Flash and we have almost 15 years of Flash content - the goal will be to support that for eternity.
So you could keep all those old content. But create a policy that all new content by 2015 will be made in HTML5.

I meant you don't have to delete all the old content let that stay flash but make a rule that all new content will be under HTML5 by 2015. Why is there no edit button in the forums?

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 05:59:07

At 4/10/13 10:20 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I meant you don't have to delete all the old content let that stay flash but make a rule that all new content will be under HTML5 by 2015. Why is there no edit button in the forums?

No. Calm down with your zealous.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 08:15:07

At 4/10/13 02:17 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 4/9/13 10:45 AM, Hyptosis wrote:
At 4/9/13 09:38 AM, Kajenx wrote: HTML5 just never works very well for me. It never seems to understand my keyboard input and it freezes up my browser... I'm on an older computer, but it's not like a dinosaur. And, I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

It needs a lot of work before I'll touch it as a dev, I think.
Hey the same for me. html5 is constantly dicking up my computer. I haven't tried to build with it yet but other people's games built in it are always crashing my browser or freezing shit up. I avoid html5 games at all costs now.
I'm on an 11 y/o laptop with limited and outdated drivers. My biggest problem with HTML5 is memory usage, second is the audio cutting out. How dependent is HTML5 on the capabilities of the hardware? I don't even have DirectX support on FF 20...

Yeah, my computer is MAYBE 2 years old now, but is easily still up to date. I think HTML 5 just needs a bit more time before I'm willing to invest in it, and or like it at all, also, game devs need a way to stick their ads in the game, and allow html5 games to go 'viral' for portals. From NG's point of view it's still fairly a win to support them of course. And it's certainly powerful, it just needs time. I'll always be a flash man though. Flash is clean and fast and allows an ARTIST to release what he wants, not just the master programmers.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 13:10:02

At 4/11/13 12:57 PM, mandog wrote: I hope HTML5 dies.
I really do.

Why can't we all just get along? D:

Anyway, it's pretty cool to be able to play games and watch movies from my phone now. Nice work so far guys!

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 13:43:13

Remove the Reward Game from the front page. It has below 2 already. Why to bother people with buggy stuff...

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 16:18:55

At 4/11/13 01:43 PM, GameBalance wrote: Remove the Reward Game from the front page. It has below 2 already. Why to bother people with buggy stuff...

Because this is a contest and the developer may not have seen the feedback yet.

This isn't about you, this is a fucking game jam, it's about making HTML5 games and making them better.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-11 16:40:48

At 4/11/13 01:30 PM, mandog wrote: You watch games and animations from your phone? why?

Cuz there are times when my laptop isn't nearby and I get bored. It's not like I can just go outside or something.

At 4/11/13 01:43 PM, GameBalance wrote: Remove the Reward Game from the front page. It has below 2 already. Why to bother people with buggy stuff...

They have just under 3 weeks to fix and improve the games, it's not like you're looking at final products right now

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-12 07:12:43

I hope this isn't the future. :/

Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-12 11:14:59

I really like how they are doing this things for moblie, With the HTML5 and Things

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-12 11:22:41

I noticed HTML games on newgrounds both go out of focus and can't go back, and pressing buttons like space and the down arrow will move the scroll bar even if the game is in focus. This is really frustrating for development because those are very common keys used by games. (This happens on Kongregate and GameJolt as well)

It seems like this isn't a problem on the Scirra arcade though. Would it be possible to find out what they did?

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-14 19:14:15

sweet shades

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-15 06:43:53

Yeah, iPhones... Steve Jobs first kills further Flash development with his arrogance, then its so-called 'replacer' doesn't work on iPhones either.... What an embarrassment.

don't submit crap flashes y'all

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-15 06:51:48

At 4/9/13 09:38 AM, Kajenx wrote: I'm on an 11 y/o laptop with limited and outdated drivers. My biggest problem with HTML5 is memory usage, second is the audio cutting out. How dependent is HTML5 on the capabilities of the hardware? I don't even have DirectX support on FF 20...

Drivers should always be update-able right?

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-15 06:57:48

At 4/8/13 07:49 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: theres your problem Tom its your phone if you used a good Android phone and installed a modified Flash program you wouldn't have that problem!

Flash isn't really the issue here, and I certainly don't think you need to tell Tom about Flash... But yeah I do prefer Flash too, there's nothing great about html5...

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-15 09:22:07

At 4/15/13 06:51 AM, tjardo wrote:
At 4/9/13 09:38 AM, Kajenx wrote: I'm on an 11 y/o laptop with limited and outdated drivers. My biggest problem with HTML5 is memory usage, second is the audio cutting out. How dependent is HTML5 on the capabilities of the hardware? I don't even have DirectX support on FF 20...
Drivers should always be update-able right?

Actually no. My laptop has custom drivers made by Toshiba, so I can't update them unless Toshiba does (which they haven't). This is a lot more common than you'd think, too...

P.s. I was quoting someone else there. :3 It still applied to me, though. My laptop is only 6 though, not 11. That's just crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-15 10:05:37

At 4/15/13 06:43 AM, tjardo wrote: Yeah, iPhones... Steve Jobs first kills further Flash development with his arrogance, then its so-called 'replacer' doesn't work on iPhones either.... What an embarrassment.

Steve Jobs never wanted people to play web games on their phones, he wanted them to buy them through Apple from the App store.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-17 11:13:03

Has anyone found a solution or work around for the sound issues.

My sound isn't consistent across all platforms. On iPhone 4 it will play BG music but no SFX (i think i saw something about the sound being truncated). On Android both SFX and BG music work but lag quite a bit.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

-Anim8

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-20 06:25:44

At 4/17/13 11:13 AM, graffanim8r wrote: Has anyone found a solution or work around for the sound issues.

My sound isn't consistent across all platforms. On iPhone 4 it will play BG music but no SFX (i think i saw something about the sound being truncated). On Android both SFX and BG music work but lag quite a bit.

Safari is still implementing HTML5 audio support.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-24 11:11:16

At 4/15/13 10:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/15/13 06:43 AM, tjardo wrote: Yeah, iPhones... Steve Jobs first kills further Flash development with his arrogance, then its so-called 'replacer' doesn't work on iPhones either.... What an embarrassment.
Steve Jobs never wanted people to play web games on their phones, he wanted them to buy them through Apple from the App store.

We should get Tom's comment a post in on some walls out there... it sucks to hear people talking how bad flash was and that it was a deserved death. Trust me, there are people telling me that flash is not good for animation! Damm you Steve!

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-27 04:58:37

At 4/24/13 11:11 AM, leonardozimbres wrote: We should get Tom's comment a post in on some walls out there... it sucks to hear people talking how bad flash was and that it was a deserved death. Trust me, there are people telling me that flash is not good for animation! Damm you Steve!

Some of his points were valid, even if commercially motivated. Not all though.

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-28 09:43:29

Uploaded my game Mole's Holes

It should run fairly well on iPhone 5 and iPad 2-3.

SpaceBoy [GREENLIGHT] [PC, Mac, Linux, Wii U]

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-04-28 11:14:58

It is worth mentioning that if you press the share button on a mobile device in Safari, you can press' "Add To Home Screen". This will create an App icon, so you can access the game when ever you want. The beauty of Construct2 is that when you first play it and load the game, you can play it offline too. So really you can use them like normal apps.

Another thing people should check out if they are interested I'm developing in HTML5 is this post by Ashley,
https://www.scirra.com/blog/110/the-near-future-of-the-web-p latform

SpaceBoy [GREENLIGHT] [PC, Mac, Linux, Wii U]

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-06-17 17:52:17

At 4/15/13 10:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:

That may be partly true, but it's not what he said. On the Apple website there is -or was, at least- an article (or 'rant') by Steve Jobs on Flash and iPhones, and here he only rambled on about how Flash doesn't work properly on mobile devices. Quite the hypocrite, wasn't he?
Also, don't forget that Flash is more than just games ;)

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-06-17 17:57:01

At 6/17/13 05:52 PM, tjardo wrote:
That may be partly true, but it's not what he said. On the Apple website there is -or was, at least- an article (or 'rant') by Steve Jobs on Flash and iPhones, and here he only rambled on about how Flash doesn't work properly on mobile devices. Quite the hypocrite, wasn't he?

Jobs also had a noted grudge against Adobe - when he returned to Apple he made a personal plea for them to start making Mac software again, but at the time they said no and he hated them ever since for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report 2013-06-17 18:09:51

At 6/17/13 05:57 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/17/13 05:52 PM, tjardo wrote:
Jobs also had a noted grudge against Adobe - when he returned to Apple he made a personal plea for them to start making Mac software again, but at the time they said no and he hated them ever since for it.

Interesting.. Very professional of Jobs (not). The worst thing however, is that he did have a lot of influence, despite his lack of reasoning. Maybe his grudge was the key reason for the popularity of html5, and the crowd saying it'll be the replacement of Flash.