New Topic Respond to this Topic
LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:24:07 Reply

No matter what you create, it is a work of art. Despite your original intention, you can't help but create a work of art that may also serve its original purpose. When you come to a party in fancy dress, you are really coming as yourself.
A dry, lifeless essay is a also a tragedy. When you observe somebody walk through a room, you are really reading a condensed biography.

I'm not saying that everything is a work of art just that it might be worthwhile entertaining the idea

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Artist
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:40:02 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: No matter what you create, it is a work of art.
I'm not saying that everything is a work of art

Okay.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:40:54 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:40 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: No matter what you create, it is a work of art.
I'm not saying that everything is a work of art
Okay.

thread closed.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:41:28 Reply

Now let's go take some sepia filtered pictures of flowers on our iphones.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:42:44 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:41 PM, Jester wrote: Now let's go take some sepia filtered pictures of flowers on our iphones.

I took a picture of grass real close up yesterday. I'm gonna put it on DeviantArt :333333333 xXx

LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:42:45 Reply

That inconsistency is just the by-product of me entertaining the idea for a little bit, you lummoxes.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:44:17 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:42 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: That inconsistency is just the by-product of me entertaining the idea for a little bit, you lummoxes.

Why bother entertaining the idea when you've already decided it's not true?
and why do we have to be let in on what ideas you're entertaining?
and why the fuck am I googling "lummox"

LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:48:12 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:44 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
At 4/6/13 03:42 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: That inconsistency is just the by-product of me entertaining the idea for a little bit, you lummoxes.
Why bother entertaining the idea when you've already decided it's not true?
and why do we have to be let in on what ideas you're entertaining?
and why the fuck am I googling "lummox"

Haha, you know, I was asking myself the very same questions not long ago.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 15:48:38 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:45 PM, Vnzi wrote:
At 4/6/13 03:41 PM, Jester wrote: Now let's go take some sepia filtered pictures of flowers on our iphones.
done

wow thats rly deep ima devwatch u can u follow me on instagram i do fotogrofy too

Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 16:02:55 Reply

That inconsistency is more like a self-contradiction.

Sooo, what else were we supposed to discuss in this thread?

LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 16:16:47 Reply

At 4/6/13 04:02 PM, Dragen wrote: Sooo, what else were we supposed to discuss in this thread?

Idk, I guess we could talk about your mum?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 17:16:37 Reply

Art thou an artist?

Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 17:24:11 Reply

At 4/6/13 04:16 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote:
At 4/6/13 04:02 PM, Dragen wrote: Sooo, what else were we supposed to discuss in this thread?
Idk, I guess we could talk about your mum?

I'm guessing you're 14 or younger?

DiggidyDelRio
DiggidyDelRio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 17:52:49 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: No matter what you create, it is a work of art. Despite your original intention, you can't help but create a work of art that may also serve its original purpose. When you come to a party in fancy dress, you are really coming as yourself.
A dry, lifeless essay is a also a tragedy. When you observe somebody walk through a room, you are really reading a condensed biography.

I'm not saying that everything is a work of art just that it might be worthwhile entertaining the idea

I was already a part of a similar thread in the art section, apparently, this is a subject people tend to get the most passionate about.

Look, sure, you can say anything is art, like the strange stuff that Ragnar Kjartansson makes. But there is surrealism and just doing stupid shit and calling it art.

Like this once piece I saw that was just a Venetian blind she broke. We have to stop ourselves somewhere or people are going to continue to literally shit in a jar and call it art.

Some could say it's art, but I call it shit in a jar.

I'm Del Rio
I like to draw comics and stuff
Click on that gaudy picture to see my webcomic. .My Art Thread
My Facebook

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 17:55:46 Reply

Everything is art except Michael Bay movies.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 18:16:19 Reply

At 4/6/13 05:55 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Everything is art except Michael Bay movies.

Everything is Michael Bay except art movies.

Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
aListers
aListers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 18:34:01 Reply

This is the reason I don't like art.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,
What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature
LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 19:00:09 Reply

At 4/6/13 05:52 PM, DelRio1991 wrote: Like this once piece I saw that was just a Venetian blind she broke. We have to stop ourselves somewhere or people are going to continue to literally shit in a jar and call it art.

Some could say it's art, but I call it shit in a jar.

Maybe we could go on

The point I was trying to make was something like this: the shit in the jar isn't art in the way the artist intended it, but the fact that artists are going to these lengths to create 'art' says something deeply beautiful and tragic about the human spirit, and can be appreciated in a similar sort of way to art.

Like, once I saw a mirror in the tate modern, which is a big avant-garde gallery in london. Just a mirror. And like, yeah you could say the artist is being cheap and unoriginal because all you've got to do is put a fucking mirror on the wall. But at the same time, I've never looked at a mirror that way before. Because hanging it next to paintings in a gallery, I was looking really deeply at stuff and I was really getting into it, and then BAM there's a mirror. What are you going to do? Are you going to change mode and think "this isn't art so I don't have to take it seriously"? And if you do, is that because you're AFRAID of really seeing it, of really looking at a mirror and considering that it might be a piece of art?

Another interesting situation is when you see something in a gallery, and you're not sure if it's art or not, lol. Like if there is a vacuum in the corner, and you don't know if it's art or not. Maybe the artist is asking you to decide, saying, you have to trust yourself to know what art is or isn't, rather than trust other people to tell you what it is or isn't. Or maybe it's a fucking hoover. And if it is, do you look ridiculous for staring at it for 20 mins? haha. (It's probably up to you?)

I just went to a gallery the other day, so I guess it got me thinking. (I saw some modern art).

Also: What is the line between art and entertainment; Can art exist without entertainment?!

LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 19:24:20 Reply

At 4/6/13 05:24 PM, Dragen wrote: I'm guessing you're 14 or younger?

You're right, I'm being dumb. You know what? I'm sorry if i hurt your feelings or anything. I actually felt a little bit threatened when you posted that first thing because I wanted NG to take me seriously and be interested in what I was saying, (and I also want newgrounds to think I'm smart and cool, and kind of not bothered/aloof, and be kind of impressed by me).

I don't really have much to lose by posting this, because even if you (or other people) laugh, I know that you don't really know me, and that if you did, you might tease/make fun a bit, but you wouldn't want to really hurt my feelings.

mechadude32
mechadude32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 19:29:54 Reply

so when i'm on a roller coaster, it's really the action packed thriller event of the season?

This is a sig you dumbass.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 19:59:39 Reply

And like, yeah you could say the artist is being cheap and unoriginal because all you've got to do is put a fucking mirror on the wall.

Summed it up quite nicely there.

Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
Jaiguru
Jaiguru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 20:24:43 Reply

At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote:

I would like to respectfully take issue with this notion. I believe we as a culture have become a little too permissive and loose with the definition of "art", much to our detriment.

I think it would be beyond arrogant for me to assume that I had any better judgement in defining the term, in an exhaustive manner, than all of the much more brilliant people who've tried before me. Coming up with a set of rules for art is no simple task and, perhaps inherently so, impossible for any one individual to be qualified to do. But I am bold and I will give it a shot.

1. The Prime Rule: Art MUST communicate something from a discernible point of view.
A. The point of view does not have to be immediately obvious.

2. Technique is not art. It is the methodology by which artistic works are delivered into usable mediums.

3. "Art" is not a status term, it is a classification which has nothing to say about any measure of validity, cultural or personal, the work may or may not possess.

------------------------

Now, some explanation and a call for discussion.

Rule one is, for me, the one truly essential rule. This brief list is surely not exhaustive nor would I consider anything on here beyond question....except rule one. It MUST be a communication. This naturally implies point of view AND subject. I would argue the rule does thusly exclude many forms of abstraction as art forms, and I am perfectly comfortable with this. As rule three states, art is not a status term. A work not being artistic does not devalue it or take merit from it. But splashing colors and lines on paper, while perhaps a display of technique if colors were chosen with some thought and shape was considered, is still a display of technique. Abstraction does not communicate a discernible point of view. Being "open for interpretation", or pointlessly cryptic, is sophomorish and a clear indicator of lack of consideration for the subject.

Technique exhibitions and crafts can occasionally overlap with art. Obviously, according to rule two, one has to be in possession of some level of technique, however rudimentary, to be capable of expressing a point of view. To sing one must be able to speak. To paint one must have some basic understanding of color and form. But not all displays of technique are art.

Rule three is especially important, I believe. We tend to wish to use the concept of a work of art as being a status term. We use these status symbols to validate our own opinions, erroneously, and to behave with a pack animal mentality whereby status is contested against one another. This is the antithesis of communication! "Art" is a term of classification for a particular display of technique which communicates a discernible point of view. Nothing more.

I realize this methodology for approaching the subject pretty much removes the title of "art" from half, or more, of many of our favorite works or mediums. Again, art is not a status term, and this does not invalidate the worth or entertainment value of those works. With this stringent definition, we find we must set aside egotistical matters in an effort to more clearly communicate something of worth. We often turn to music to say the things which words alone are incapable of thoroughly expressing. We paint to give definition to things we see from a highly subjective point of view that defies meaningful verbal description.

I argue, it is time to put an end to the all-permissive definition of art and return a demand for quality, thoughtful, insightful self exploration and presentation to the various mediums. One does not have to be elitist about it, but there is no sin in holding to meaningful standards.

If you read this, I appreciate your time and consideration. Sorry for the book, but nothing is easy.

evilXbanana
evilXbanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 20:40:40 Reply

At 4/6/13 08:24 PM, Jaiguru wrote:
At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, LionzNTiggerz wrote:

1. The Prime Rule: Art MUST communicate something from a discernible point of view.
A. The point of view does not have to be immediately obvious.

This fits my definition of art nearly perfectly. The one corollary being that there should be some intent by the artist to convey meaning. This separates the daily goings on of life, though these things do convey meaning by define us and the world we live in, from art.

So I don't think everything should be considered art but any media or technique used to convey meaning should carry equal weight with what one would consider traditional art form.

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 21:18:39 Reply

NOPE...nope

私のちんちん

BBS Signature
LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-06 22:17:00 Reply

At 4/6/13 08:24 PM, Jaiguru wrote:

To be honest, I was using the word art as a tool to make a point. I don't have a strong opinion about what is and isn't art, and I don't suppose I'll take one unless somebody gives me a strong enough reason.

But Jaiguru, do I know you irl, and you are e-stalking me?

Tstelie
Tstelie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-07 02:29:49 Reply

i went into my sisters piggy bank for money for k thats art right tahere

BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-07 02:34:14 Reply

Imma def gonna createz sum awesum phtoshopp :3 ART

Everything is art?

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature
Tstelie
Tstelie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-07 05:20:35 Reply

im an advanced beings, its cattle like you cackling cliches all day that our the problem

BBS Signature
Tstelie
Tstelie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-07 05:31:06 Reply

Lol what kind of argument is that

BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Everything is art? 2013-04-07 13:22:59 Reply

At 4/7/13 05:31 AM, Tstelie wrote: Lol what kind of argument is that

To be better understood, learn to reply to the person you're trying to reach.
By the way, die.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature