00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

knehzoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Silent Hill: Draw your demons!

6,222 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-04 23:12:38

You are stranded in the town of Silent Hill where your own subconscious is your worst enemy, and your most twisted desires and fears take physical form.

Draw what you may encounter on your journey, be it a manifestation of your guilt, fear, or desires.

Or you can draw a silly or cool picture of a monster if you feel its too personal or you're an infallible and righteous human being and have no personal demons that could stain your decadent public image.

((((NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART))))

Most monsters in Silent Hill are up for personal opinion of what exactly they could represent, provided you don't look at the wiki about it. So don't feel obligated to make your monster as obvious as possible as to what they represent. If you can help it, go crazy. And let the audience come up with their own explanations yeah?

And if you have never seen or played Silent Hill here's some art (please don't feel like you need to make it anything like this I'm just giving you ideas)

REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 14:25:38

Just finished mine woo

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 14:33:08

I'll bite. Starting now.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 15:04:04

Just blocking in my colours. You can tell I'm battling with some seriously deep inner demons here.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 15:10:44

At 4/5/13 03:04 PM, Rumsworth wrote: Just blocking in my colours. You can tell I'm battling with some seriously deep inner demons here.

Just noticed mine looks remarkably similar to yours while in that stage.
Don't worry. There'll be those discerning details.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 15:12:43

At 4/5/13 03:04 PM, Rumsworth wrote: Just blocking in my colours. You can tell I'm battling with some seriously deep inner demons here.

I know its not done but if I can make a premature guess I say this represents the fear of rejection that said "gurl" might not in fact give "them digits."

You're a tortured soul if I've ever seen one.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 15:16:59

At 4/5/13 03:12 PM, FNJA wrote: I know its not done but if I can make a premature guess I say this represents the fear of rejection that said "gurl" might not in fact give "them digits."

You're a tortured soul if I've ever seen one.

Wow.. It's like you just... get me.
Hold me, FNJA.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:17:20

Still a bit work in progress, but I started on it when I saw this thread and was otherwise going to post some other stuff i was working on. I call it the triforce of despair.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:25:19

At 4/5/13 04:17 PM, ArkKay wrote: Still a bit work in progress, but I started on it when I saw this thread and was otherwise going to post some other stuff i was working on. I call it the triforce of despair.

Looks fucking sweet. Nice job so far.
I, on the other hand, am working incredibly slowly.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:28:53

At 4/5/13 04:17 PM, ArkKay wrote: Still a bit work in progress, but I started on it when I saw this thread and was otherwise going to post some other stuff i was working on. I call it the triforce of despair.

Pixel art, soo good.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:37:54

At 4/5/13 04:28 PM, FNJA wrote:
Pixel art, soo good.

Regardless of whether or not that was a swipe;

well, i mean, its not like its entirely mine, I started with a well known intellectual property as a base. Currently doing the inner mouth an then I'll work on (de?)composition.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:45:18

At 4/5/13 04:37 PM, ArkKay wrote:
Pixel art, soo good.

well, i mean, its not like its entirely mine, I started with a well known intellectual property as a base. Currently doing the inner mouth an then I'll work on (de?)composition.

Don't think it was a swipe actually, but now that you mentioned it I'm seeing it. I love pixel art or pretty much any form of art that limits the artist and forces them to work around problems with specific techniques. Also what was the base? I'm not seeing it!

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:59:23

Wasn't a swipe, I really love pixel art. :)

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 16:59:50

At 4/5/13 04:45 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
At 4/5/13 04:37 PM, ArkKay wrote:
Pixel art, soo good.

Don't think it was a swipe actually, but now that you mentioned it I'm seeing it. I love pixel art or pretty much any form of art that limits the artist and forces them to work around problems with specific techniques. Also what was the base? I'm not seeing it!

Well, if you can't notice it, then nevermind! Just pointing out that it's not entirely my own work. If I've rendered the base unrecognizable then I'm happy. Heres the finished composition for this thread.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:02:23

Actually, is the base from a photograph?

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:06:49

At 4/5/13 04:45 PM, Rumsworth wrote:

I love pixel art or pretty much any form of art that limits the artist and forces them to work around problems with specific techniques. Also what was the base? I'm not seeing it!

I actually don't view it this way. While I also love pixel art, I love it because it is the "people's medium" so to speak, in that anyone with enough time and patience can become proficient in a large number of styles within pixel art as a genre. (As opposed to having any sort of talent, hand coordination, or complex skills.) These people can then easily mesh art for game making. Or if you prefer (as I do), allows for solo lunatics to toil endlessly on a single game that allows them to fully express their pathos.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:08:36

At 4/5/13 05:02 PM, FNJA wrote: Actually, is the base from a photograph?

ok ok, the base is the king goron from legend of zelda oracle of seasons.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:17:39

At 4/5/13 05:08 PM, ArkKay wrote:

Oh wow, you did a good job, I would have never been able to tell. Nice!

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:17:44

At 4/5/13 05:08 PM, ArkKay wrote:

Wow.. Remarkably unsimilar.. Great work then, I would class it all as your own work.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:32:00

At 4/5/13 05:06 PM, ArkKay wrote: I actually don't view it this way. While I also love pixel art, I love it because it is the "people's medium" so to speak, in that anyone with enough time and patience can become proficient in a large number of styles within pixel art as a genre. (As opposed to having any sort of talent, hand coordination, or complex skills.) These people can then easily mesh art for game making. Or if you prefer (as I do), allows for solo lunatics to toil endlessly on a single game that allows them to fully express their pathos.

I think it takes a lot of skill to make pixel art that's universally appealing, but like drawing its as hard as you want it to be. There are amazing artists out there that are flexible and skilled enough to make any style work on it, but like with anything, it took lots of effort on their part. Paul Robertson comes to mind.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:40:38

At 4/5/13 05:32 PM, FNJA wrote: I think it takes a lot of skill to make pixel art that's universally appealing, but like drawing its as hard as you want it to be. There are amazing artists out there that are flexible and skilled enough to make any style work on it, but like with anything, it took lots of effort on their part. Paul Robertson comes to mind.

Damn that's super cool.. Another amazing pixel artist is Francis Coulombe. He's done a lot of time lapse videos on youtube, I think his username is FrankieSmileShow. It's amazing seeing him work.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:50:38

At 4/5/13 05:40 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
Damn that's super cool.. Another amazing pixel artist is Francis Coulombe. He's done a lot of time lapse videos on youtube, I think his username is FrankieSmileShow. It's amazing seeing him work.

Wow, I should check him out, he's got a cool style, that picture has a very cold and creepy feeling. Thanks. :)

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 17:59:52

At 4/5/13 05:32 PM, FNJA wrote:
At 4/5/13 05:06 PM, ArkKay wrote: I actually don't view it this way. While I also love pixel art, I love it because it is the "people's medium" so to speak, in that anyone with enough time and patience can become proficient in a large number of styles within pixel art as a genre. (As opposed to having any sort of talent, hand coordination, or complex skills.) These people can then easily mesh art for game making. Or if you prefer (as I do), allows for solo lunatics to toil endlessly on a single game that allows them to fully express their pathos.
I think it takes a lot of skill to make pixel art that's universally appealing, but like drawing its as hard as you want it to be. There are amazing artists out there that are flexible and skilled enough to make any style work on it, but like with anything, it took lots of effort on their part. Paul Robertson comes to mind.

don't get me wrong, scaled up pixel art takes an enourmous ammount of practice, technique and skill. What I'm saying is in the 16x16 up to 32x32 limitations, if you can find a dedicated enough person to sit down and learn and toil; then that person can literally be just about anyone. That's why I view it as the people's medium.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:00:41

At 4/5/13 05:50 PM, FNJA wrote: Wow, I should check him out, he's got a cool style, that picture has a very cold and creepy feeling. Thanks. :)

Yeah he's got a real unique style. If you look over a lot of his work, it seems like purple is his favorite colour or something... Anyway I'm done with mine here. Definitely stopped feeling it towards the end as the joke became stale, so it looks pretty amateur. I'd planned to give the skin a lot more texture.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:07:47

At 4/5/13 06:00 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
At 4/5/13 05:50 PM, FNJA wrote: Wow, I should check him out, he's got a cool style, that picture has a very cold and creepy feeling. Thanks. :)
Yeah he's got a real unique style. If you look over a lot of his work, it seems like purple is his favorite colour or something... Anyway I'm done with mine here. Definitely stopped feeling it towards the end as the joke became stale, so it looks pretty amateur. I'd planned to give the skin a lot more texture.

I like how it now feels like he's not asking for them digits anymore, but is demanding those digits, by force if necessary. A+

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:11:20

At 4/5/13 06:07 PM, FNJA wrote: I like how it now feels like he's not asking for them digits anymore, but is demanding those digits, by force if necessary. A+

Demanding them... with kisses xXxXx

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:13:40

At 4/5/13 05:59 PM, ArkKay wrote: don't get me wrong, scaled up pixel art takes an enourmous ammount of practice, technique and skill. What I'm saying is in the 16x16 up to 32x32 limitations, if you can find a dedicated enough person to sit down and learn and toil; then that person can literally be just about anyone. That's why I view it as the people's medium.

Yeah I guess so. At least we're lucky we don't have to have those technical limitations anymore.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:39:12

At 4/5/13 06:13 PM, FNJA wrote:
Yeah I guess so. At least we're lucky we don't have to have those technical limitations anymore.

Agreed. Sorry I hijacked your thread with nonsense by the way.

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:45:36

Alright, guys...I think I like this challenge. This will give me a chance to go all out with the grotesque, macabre and just downright disturbing. Mine is going to be so damn fucked up, you won't be able to see straight for weeks!

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to Silent Hill: Draw your demons! 2013-04-05 18:47:12

At 4/5/13 06:39 PM, ArkKay wrote:
At 4/5/13 06:13 PM, FNJA wrote:
Agreed. Sorry I hijacked your thread with nonsense by the way.

No worries friend, its a forum after all.