00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

BattleBlock Theater now Available!

43,241 Views | 113 Replies
Respond to this Topic

BattleBlock Theater was just released today on XBLA! Great response so far from Destructoid, EGM, Games Radar and Polygon.

Watch the new BBT release trailer!

The Reward managed to hit its Kickstarter goal so thank you everyone who helped with that! I'm happy to report that with our pledge, NG has secured Captain from Tankmen in the first episode.

Animators: The Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation (NATA) has begun!

Pico Day is April 27th and we'll be streaming live from the office.

We had a publishing bug last week and as a result, our Under Judgment list is now really backed up. Please watch and vote on some games and movies to help it along!

New interview today: FrozenFire.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:09:02

At 4/3/13 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: We had a publishing bug last week and as a result, our Under Judgment list is now really backed up. Please watch and vote on some games and movies to help it along!

I hope that it's lack of audience attention that's causing the movies to not go through Judgment.

Ever since you split up the Games and Movies section, Thomas, the movies have been taking a very, very long time to pass judgment. It used to only take a few hours, now it takes well over twenty-four hours. I noticed the Games portal doesn't suffer the same fate.

You really need to consider finding a new system. Either merging them back together, or extensively lowering the Movie requirement to pass judgment.

It's extremely frustrating.

This time around, it's been two days or more for some movies and they're STILL in judgment.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:11:44

that's awesome. I hope it's as big a hit as Castle Crashers :)

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:14:05

At 4/3/13 02:09 PM, Narcissy wrote: This time around, it's been two days or more for some movies and they're STILL in judgment.

I'm glad someone addresses this issue. I agree, that many good movie submissions are days under judgement. I had 2 in my favourites, that were "Under judgement" for 3-4 days.

I would love to play BattleBlock Theater, but I don't own a x360 (or PS3). Any plans for a PC release, like Castle Crashers?
Also, lol at Stamper in the trailers.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:17:53

At 4/3/13 02:14 PM, Pkmn2 wrote: I'm glad someone addresses this issue. I agree, that many good movie submissions are days under judgement. I had 2 in my favourites, that were "Under judgement" for 3-4 days.

It's a lot more frustrating when you actually make flash movies and you just want them to go through. This system is broken for a lot of things, especially flash movies judgment time. It REALLY shouldn't take more than a few hours. You should be able to submit a movie, eat dinner, take a crap, take a shower, come back to a passed (or if by some form of magical intervention, actually get blammed) flash.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:21:44

At 4/3/13 02:09 PM, Narcissy wrote: Ever since you split up the Games and Movies section, Thomas, the movies have been taking a very, very long time to pass judgment. It used to only take a few hours, now it takes well over twenty-four hours. I noticed the Games portal doesn't suffer the same fate.

The under judgment page needs to get more traffic flow (or the Classic Portal page, although that WAS in decline before the split) and we need to make it more exciting to participate in the judgment phase again. It's on our TODO list, hopefully will make the GOTDONE list this year.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:24:12

At 4/3/13 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Reward managed to hit its Kickstarter goal so thank you everyone who helped with that! I'm happy to report that with our pledge, NG has secured Captain from Tankmen in the first episode.

Sweetness.

Animators: The Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation (NATA) has begun!

Looking forward to everything thats going to be submitted.

Pico Day is April 27th and we'll be streaming live from the office.

Cool. I'll see if I can pop in the chat to see this. More than likely wont say anything on there though....

We had a publishing bug last week and as a result, our Under Judgment list is now really backed up. Please watch and vote on some games and movies to help it along!

Glad to see that was taken care of. The portal was pretty much completely barren for awhile o.O

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:26:48

At 4/3/13 02:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: we need to make it more exciting to participate in the judgment phase again.

psst Tom, ADD FIREWORKS

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:28:16

At 4/3/13 02:26 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 4/3/13 02:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: we need to make it more exciting to participate in the judgment phase again.
psst Tom, ADD FIREWORKS

We still have some awesome animations that were made for the 2007 redesign but they were still pending final polish and implementation. I don't even know if we have the files anymore at this point.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:30:32

HURRAY!!
Except i dont have an exbox D:

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:34:23

At 4/3/13 02:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's on our TODO list, hopefully will make the GOTDONE list this year.

That's fine with me. Just being a movie-doer, it's kinda more of "I personally need" thing. But it sounds like you have an idea. Care if I ask what you're ticking in that time-bomb called your "mind?"

Part of the motivation, for me, was knowing that my avatar would be my icon. The level icon was my identifier. It made me excited to vote. Since User Icons being on the forum, kinda lost its glamor.

Perhaps another idea is, I'm sorry, but the destruction of flashes is a personal thing a lot enjoy. Flashes haven't been getting blammed for a while. Perhaps raising the requirement may cause some conflict in the portal. Conflict is interest. If it's a struggle to save flashes, and if people are enjoying the destruction of lower quality ones, then we may be able to get interest in it.

Tom, I bet with the way things are now, I could literally upload a flash of dogpoop on the road with some tweens of color changing on it and it pass. Probably with a 2.17

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:35:01

Awesome to see it finally out after all these years! Any chance of a Steam release if this works out well? Castle Crashers was relatively successful there, no?

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:42:40

At 4/3/13 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: We had a publishing bug last week and as a result, our Under Judgment list is now really backed up. Please watch and vote on some games and movies to help it along!

Damnit Tom - I'm spamming zeros as fast as I can! D:

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:42:46

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:43:19

Also bring back Blam/Savior Animations to increase traffic in the Under Judgment section.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:44:41

Is there an achievement for buying an Xbox just to play BattleBlock Theater?

Because I'm seriously debating it. unf.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:51:22

Game looks awesome, Tom.

Too bad you guys are losers and put it on a console I don't own.

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:55:01

Feels good that I can now talk about how fucking awesome this game is! Was a great couple of weeks playing the game before release.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 14:58:30

Congratulations, been following this one for years! Tom & the guys at The Behemoth are a prime reason for me becoming an indie game developer, inspirational, so hope this does well. Now Gotta get myself off to download the game!

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:05:06

Congrats, guys.
It's gotta feel good to finally release it.
Hopefully it will make its way to PSN.

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:05:38

At 4/3/13 02:43 PM, Timmy wrote: Also bring back Blam/Savior Animations to increase traffic in the Under Judgment section.

Oh yeah, that'd be nice.

if you need new ones, you could do a new competition or something.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:07:48

At 4/3/13 02:34 PM, Narcissy wrote: Part of the motivation, for me, was knowing that my avatar would be my icon. The level icon was my identifier. It made me excited to vote. Since User Icons being on the forum, kinda lost its glamor.

Perhaps another idea is, I'm sorry, but the destruction of flashes is a personal thing a lot enjoy. Flashes haven't been getting blammed for a while. Perhaps raising the requirement may cause some conflict in the portal. Conflict is interest. If it's a struggle to save flashes, and if people are enjoying the destruction of lower quality ones, then we may be able to get interest in it.

Tom, I bet with the way things are now, I could literally upload a flash of dogpoop on the road with some tweens of color changing on it and it pass. Probably with a 2.17

In the short term I want to change the judgment requirements so things can exit out with less votes. That would be especially helpful RIGHT NOW.

Having the levels represent the users on the forums was always good motivation to vote, but it was a turnoff to a lot of people who wanted other ways to express themselves on the site. Of course that change didn't result in a massive improvement in forum activity, but forums in general have been in decline across the entire web so it has been an uphill battle there.

There is more stuff being blammed than what people see - the Blam / Save stats on the Classic Portal and Obits have been broken for a long time now and need to be fixed. We also need to make sure that when a moderator takes action on a submission, it retroactively removes / adds BP points for the people who previously voted on it. Despite some great people who use it properly, the BP system has failed - anyone who used to listen to our broadcasts would know how depressed I got at the sheer amount of shovelware that passed judgment because people assumed it would be saved and wanted the points. Instead of fixing the voting system, we added moderators and that DID fix the shovelware problem but it also hurt the incentive to vote. It would be nice if the mod activity rewarded / punished the users who already chipped in.

The mod system also made the Whistle system less necessary, so we deprioritized bringing it back after the redesign but we still do plan to get it up and running, so users can help the mods and be rewarded for it.

I want the voting system to log 2 XP for every vote, vs requiring you to vote five times before you deposit. This will let more passive users gradually gain XP and will also allow us to have Double XP Weekends without REQUIRING you to vote on 10 things to log your XP - you would just have the opportunity to vote twice as many times and gain points.

We'd like to have more spaces that show who is leveling up and gaining points on a given day, including something popped lower on the front page. Making that interesting will take some doing but it's on the list.

There are also thoughts on user page updates that allow more customization, where someone who cares about their stats can make them more prominent / detailed and someone who doesn't care can hide them. We have a big divide on NG between what the viewers want and what the contributors want; that has always been a tricky balancing act.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:08:42

At 4/3/13 02:51 PM, Oolaph wrote: Game looks awesome, Tom.

Too bad you guys are losers and put it on a console I don't own.

Eh we'll get it 4 years from now dont worry.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:09:12

At 4/3/13 02:35 PM, LDAF wrote: Awesome to see it finally out after all these years! Any chance of a Steam release if this works out well? Castle Crashers was relatively successful there, no?

Nothing official but we have our sights on it.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:10:33

At 4/3/13 03:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: We also need to make sure that when a moderator takes action on a submission, it retroactively removes / adds BP points for the people who previously voted on it.

This is the major thing I want to see and I'm sure the rest of the mods feel the same way, if someone votes 5 on some shovelware piece of shit, they don't deserve that save.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:26:54

At 4/3/13 03:17 PM, kanef wrote: tom your game has a metascore of 89. one point away from 90

It's funny because Polygon gave it a glowing review, but their 85 is the only thing dragging it below 90.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:37:44

Cool to see it released! I'd like to pick it up, unfortunately I don't have an xbox D:

Were NG audio artists featured in this game?

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:41:08

At 4/3/13 03:36 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: TotalBiscuit did a video at Pax on it Tom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QzxEqGBrQ
Why weren't you there to guide him Tom?

Because I'm lame.

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:49:28

daaaaayyyyyuuuuuummmmmm

BBS Signature

Response to BattleBlock Theater now Available! 2013-04-03 15:50:30

At 4/3/13 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: BattleBlock Theater was just released today on XBLA! Great response so far from Destructoid, EGM, Games Radar and Polygon.

It's times like these I wish I had an xbox 360

New interview today: FrozenFire.

Hmm, that name reminds me of someone. I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature